Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m fed up with Leonard Fournette. He can’t make anyone miss in the open field, he slow off the handoff, and maybe in college you can put your shoulder down and run through linebackers But that don’t happen in the NFL you Gotta make guys miss at least the first guy he hasn’t shown nothing to make me believe he’s going to be a good running back. I know the offense of line ain’t that good but you tell me one game this year where he was a consistent running back. Most of his yardage came on very long run plays that four point something Per carry yardage that O-Zone and And the crew keep talking about on drive time is completely skewed by long runs. After having running backs like Fred Taylor and Jones DrewIn my opinion he’s been a Disappointment.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We were on the clock, in two separate drafts, with a glaring QB need. The 3 best young QBs in the league right now were all available. We passed on all 3 for a friggin RB and a decent rotational inside dlineman.

If I were GM I would not pass the next time we're in the scenario.

(11-18-2019, 06:11 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m fed up with Leonard Fournette. He can’t make anyone miss in the open field, he slow off the handoff, and maybe in college you can put your shoulder down and run through linebackers But that don’t happen in the NFL you Gotta make guys miss at least the first guy he hasn’t shown nothing to make me believe he’s going to be a good running back. I know the offense of line ain’t that good but you tell me one game this year where he was a consistent running back. Most of his yardage came on very long run plays that four point something Per carry yardage that O-Zone and And the crew keep talking about on drive time is completely skewed by long runs. After having running backs like Fred Taylor and Jones DrewIn my opinion he’s been a Disappointment.

While I agree with your assessment on Fournette. I am not quite willing to part ways with him. I think he's salvageable provided that the next coaching staff understands that he has one strength and one strength only and that's build up speed. He's not effective enough to wriggle free or through one-on-one situations anymore. But if you give the kid a lead blocker in the backfield and seal the edge off with a competent tight-end or two this S.O.B CAN get downfield. 

He just seems to lack vision overall and he needs to be more North / South instead of East / West. We really DO need to get back to how they ran the football in 2017. More I-Formations. More Off-Set FB / TE Formations. Anytime I see him get a hand-off from a singleback formation I cringe because it puts too much guess work in his game. He's too hesitant and he doesn't hit any holes or make any strides with conviction. 

I blame the coaching staff partly with their lack of creativity in the redzone this year. They get too cute. Sometimes it's okay to tell the defense you're running this football right at them. Line up and stop me. But they don't do that. They actually run away from it. Which is a problem IMHO. And as good as Minshew was in the play action game and rolling out earlier this year they should have used more power sets to take advantage of that. 

Again, THROW THE RUN GAME OPEN. We try to run to set up the pass. It seldom works now these days in the formations they try to do it from.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 06:53 PM by Newton.)

(11-18-2019, 06:11 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m fed up with Leonard Fournette. He can’t make anyone miss in the open field, he slow off the handoff, and maybe in college you can put your shoulder down and run through linebackers But that don’t happen in the NFL you Gotta make guys miss at least the first guy he hasn’t shown nothing to make me believe he’s going to be a good running back. I know the offense of line ain’t that good but you tell me one game this year where he was a consistent running back. Most of his yardage came on very long run plays that four point something Per carry yardage that O-Zone and And the crew keep talking about on drive time is completely skewed by long runs. After having running backs like Fred Taylor and Jones DrewIn my opinion he’s been a Disappointment.

I think it’s time to get someone who is fast complement fornette. We need a guy like Dalvin cook or Kamara who is quick out of the backfield and can make people miss. Fornette  should be a rotational player, not an every down back.

(11-18-2019, 06:53 PM)Newton Wrote:

I think it’s time to get someone who is fast and quick to  complement fornette. We need a guy like Dalvin cook or Kamara who is quick out of the backfield and can make people miss. Fornette  should be a rotational player, not an every down back.

[quote pid='1262262' dateline='1574108696']
Hire a new HC. Offensive-minded college coach. New DC who specializes in LBs. Make some space in your cap. Release the following:

Dareus
Lee
Norwell
Cann
Swaim
Robinson

In FA, pick up a middle-of-the pack CB, LB, DT, and OL. I would avoid grabbing WRs in FA. Have been nothing but trouble for so many years or have been disappointing.

In the draft. 1st round goes to LT and WR. 2nd round on LB. 3rd on OG. 4th on FS. Go offense the rest of the draft with TE, HB, OL. Etc.
[/quote]
Here's our new HC ......and his QB!

[Image: giphy.gif]

The only thing marrone is the guru of is bologna.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-18-2019, 05:53 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: there is no fixing the team at this point and time. just like he did the bills doug destroyed the jags franchises's winning ways. told you he was wrong person.

How many times are you going to say this incorrect statement?  Marrone had a 9-7 records as a head coach for the Bills.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

At this point, I don't know if the team can be fixed in one season. We have so much money tied into sub-par players, it'll take a while to "right the ship."

1. Fix the run defense. This is a two-step process. First, you need to get a multi-dimensional run-stuffer at NT. There is an ideal guy in this draft, Derrick Brown of Auburn. Find a way to draft him and the backup plan would be in free agency to sign Jordan Phillips of Buffalo. Both are massive players, with the ability to stuff the run and collapse the pocket as well. IMO, these are our only two options outside of a trade. Secondly, Myles Jack needs to be moves to WLB. He just lacks the instincts to play in the middle. I'd move him outside to showcase his athleticism and get a true, hard nosed MLB who is in on every play. That's the only way we're gonna fix the run game.

2. We desperately need a good TE. Unlike the last draft, 2020 does not have a strong class. There are a couple of interesting prospects like Harrison Bryant of FAU, Adam Trautman of Dayton and maybe Brycen Hopkins of Purdue, but these guys will probably go in the 2nd to 5th rounds. Albert Okwuebugnum is the top rated TE, but he's not worth a first round pick IMO. We could trade for a TE or try to sign a FA like Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry, but someway, somehow we need to get at least one good TE this offseason.

3. Sure-up the O-Line. Personally, I want a more consistent LT while kicking Robinson inside to LG, but that's not gonna happen. Instead, we need to address both OG positions. I would do this via the draft. There are a couple good players I have my eye on. The best OG in college football is John Simpson of Clemson. He could probably be had with our 2nd round selection, but later in the draft I'd also look to add a player with experience at OT, who is projected inside to OG, in order to give us some flexibility. I really like Jon Runyan Jr. of Michigan. He plays LT at Michigan, but projects inside to OG. and his dad was an excellent NFL player.

4. We need a speedy 3rd down RB with good hands. I've seen Fournette drop way too many passes this season he just takes too long to get a head of steam when receiving passes. I want a natural pass catcher with quickness who can come in when we need to throw some screen passes and make things happen.

5. It's time to clean house. Marrone needs to go, Wash needs to go and Coughlin needs to go. Bring in some new, innovative coaches and see what happens, because what we are doing now, is not working.

(11-18-2019, 08:53 AM)FBT Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:33 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

What do you do to fix this team? Spend big in free agency? Add some pieces in the draft? Blow it up and start all over? Clean house and bring in an entirely new staff?

Now’s your time to shine.. aaaand go!

Blow it up. When they get blown out in Tennessee next week, Khan should send the jet home empty.

Hell must be freezing over because I totally agree with this.  There is no more time for patch work, it's time to rebuild the whole foundation.

Sure we have some talent but also many holes in many positions.  After years of building with Caldwell/Coughlin, this team is very mediocre.  Excuse time is done.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I think all of us here are done.

[Image: 4783561_orig.jpg]
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-18-2019, 06:53 PM)Newton Wrote:

I think it’s time to get someone who is fast complement fornette. We need a guy like Dalvin cook or Kamara who is quick out of the backfield and can make people miss. Fornette  should be a rotational player, not an every down back.

I agree we do need a scat back. My problem with Fournett is he supposed to be a power back yet he can’t push anybody forward when he hits the line. You expect something more like the Bus, Riggins, And Larry csonka. Certainly I don’t expect him to be as good as those running backs mentioned, but you’re on the goal line with one yard to go he hits the line and he stopped dead in his tracks. How many times have we seen that. I thought he was supposed to be a power running back. Unless there’s some drastic change it’s just another first round pick thrown out the window.

Just looking at some of the player stats on O shows the problems.

So rushing.

Fournette- 182 carries- 854yds- 1TD
Minshew- 42 carries- 235yds
Armstead- 21 carries- 65yds
Westbrook- 4 carries- 20yds

Receiving

Chark- 51rec- 85 targets- 796yds- 7TD
Fournette- 47rec- 58 targets- 329yds
Westbrook- 36rec- 61 targets- 415yds- 1TD
Conley- 29rec- 54 targets-  519yds- 2TD
Cole- 13rec- 16 targets- 154yds- 2TD

What's weird, Fournette has 329yds receiving but 359yds after the catch?! 

O has stalled a bit the last few weeks and obviously Foles and the O is going to need time to build cohesion. I've liked De Filippo so far so I'm interested to see how he fixes it.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 09:13 PM by Caldrac.)

(11-18-2019, 08:56 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at some of the player stats on O shows the problems.

So rushing.

Fournette- 182 carries- 854yds- 1TD
Minshew- 42 carries- 235yds
Armstead- 21 carries- 65yds
Westbrook- 4 carries- 20yds

Receiving

Chark- 51rec- 85 targets- 796yds- 7TD
Fournette- 47rec- 58 targets- 329yds
Westbrook- 36rec- 61 targets- 415yds- 1TD
Conley- 29rec- 54 targets-  519yds- 2TD
Cole- 13rec- 16 targets- 154yds- 2TD

What's weird, Fournette has 329yds receiving but 359yds after the catch?! 

O has stalled a bit the last few weeks and obviously Foles and the O is going to need time to build cohesion. I've liked De Filippo so far so I'm interested to see how he fixes it.
Need to get Armstead more involved. Honestly surprised he hasn't tried a split back formation here and there with both of them on the field together.

As depleted as we're right now at TE it would be nice to see them test or spread the LB's out here and there with a pair of RBs.

The singleback [BLEEP] is killing me. I hate it. Fournette is not a speed back with quick feet and great vision. He's a steam engine. He needs blocking up front to give him enough time to pick up steam.

Splitting the backfield with Armstead could allow some misdirection. Fournette is certainly no slouch in pass protection. You don't know what you have there until you try it.

And as bad as pass protection is? Where are the screen plays? I would over sell the [BLEEP] out of our suspect pass protection with a screen here or there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-18-2019, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

I think this is a good analysis.  I would just say LBs rather than just MLB.  I don't think any of ours could start for a serious contender.  Myles just looks confused and has poor fundamentals.

The OL needs completely reworked.  But starting with the guards is top priority.  The terrible OL play is the most damning indictment against Marrone, imo, since OL is supposed to be his specialty.

I also agree that QB is fine.  We have a good backup in Minshew.  And Foles is a more than adequate starter, his first game back notwithstanding.  All the people bellyaching about him and claiming Minshew is better seem to forget that he played like a rookie 3 of the last 4 games he started.

(11-18-2019, 10:14 AM)Kane Wrote: Coaching and FO:
I think the team needs fresh voices from the entire coach staff. Dougs a good dude, but really hasn't been anything special and this team still lacks discipline on the field. And how do you only have like 7 rush attempts while the game is within 3-7 points? I was high on Flip early on but IDK bout this dude so much. His playcalling is almost as suspect as Wash's.

And the FO has done good but not great and without being able to pin it on one dude, both dudes need to go.

This where I am, too.  I like Doug.  And Lord knows he's 10x the coach Gus was.  But that said, the work product just isn't satisfactory.  My hesitation is:  who will we get that's going to be better the just average?  I don't think there's another Kyle Shanahan floating around out there.  Just say no to Jay Gruden.  We've seen his work product (even though it was for one of the two most dysfunctional teams known to man).  McCarthy is nothing special.  Just a retread with a tired offensive gameplan.  Jim Harbaugh?  No thanks to Mr. Mediocrity.

Same with Caldwell.  He may be the best GM the Jags have had.  And he's average.  Nothing to write home about.

From top to bottom, we're just a meh, lucky to get to 8-8 organization.  I wish we could be more.

(11-18-2019, 09:20 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

I think this is a good analysis.  I would just say LBs rather than just MLB.  I don't think any of ours could start for a serious contender.  Myles just looks confused and has poor fundamentals.

The OL needs completely reworked.  But starting with the guards is top priority.  The terrible OL play is the most damning indictment against Marrone, imo, since OL is supposed to be his specialty.

I also agree that QB is fine.  We have a good backup in Minshew.  And Foles is a more than adequate starter, his first game back notwithstanding.  All the people bellyaching about him and claiming Minshew is better seem to forget that he played like a rookie 3 of the last 4 games he started.
Foles hopefully improves this weekend. Maybe it's jitters. I saw some good things early from the pocket that I liked.

But then when he started getting hit you could see it wore on him. His throws were ill timed. He was forcing too many 50/50 throws in double coverages.

He had a batted pass or two as well. The INT before half time is what I would expect out of a rookie. Not a guy like Foles. That play in particular bothered me. The telegraphed INT on a 2 point conversion attempt also stung.

From what I gather. Minshew's ability to escape and create is what helped this offense maintain a heartbeat in most games. Foles inability to escape and create is going to allow defenses to tee off on him.

It's give and take here. Minshew is beat if you can contain him in the pocket and take away his 1st option early. That's what New Orleans did. They covered Chark. Played smart and on the boundaries with their front four and didnt allow him to create.

With Foles it's going to be a game of speed. And with this offensive line? It's a concern. He took a lick yesterday and for a minute there I thought he was hurt again already. But his ability to climb the pocket is there.

Flip's got to figure this [BLEEP] out this week. Really need to give up on the TE position being a focal point in the passing game for this year and get into the habit of trying to operate more with split back sets and I-Formations IMHO.

They can't use the play action game at all right now. Until they consistently show they can run with power and conviction they'll be one dimensional and easy to keep in check. Need more screens. Need more power running in it's truest form. THEN the passing game might open up a bit.

So far though I don't think they know what they want to do on offense. And it shows.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Next week we'll run the ball 42 times and throw it 9.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Seems like everyone in the Jags organization is just content with collecting a paycheck. No effort, no sense of urgency, no desperation, they need to start taking these losses personally and as an insult to their manhood

Gotta play like a wounded animal fighting for your life. These guys are acting like they're in a zoo with a free meal every hour

(11-18-2019, 09:58 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Seems like everyone in the Jags organization is just content with collecting a paycheck. No effort, no sense of urgency, no desperation, they need to start taking these losses personally and as an insult to their manhood

Gotta play like a wounded animal fighting for your life. These guys are acting like they're in a zoo with a free meal every hour

C'mon man, jobbers always know their role and place.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-18-2019, 10:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:58 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Seems like everyone in the Jags organization is just content with collecting a paycheck. No effort, no sense of urgency, no desperation, they need to start taking these losses personally and as an insult to their manhood

C'mon man, jobbers always know their role and place.

And not coincidentally, our owner owns a pro wrestling company.

(11-18-2019, 06:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

While I agree with your assessment on Fournette. I am not quite willing to part ways with him. I think he's salvageable provided that the next coaching staff understands that he has one strength and one strength only and that's build up speed. He's not effective enough to wriggle free or through one-on-one situations anymore. But if you give the kid a lead blocker in the backfield and seal the edge off with a competent tight-end or two this S.O.B CAN get downfield. 

He just seems to lack vision overall and he needs to be more North / South instead of East / West. We really DO need to get back to how they ran the football in 2017. More I-Formations. More Off-Set FB / TE Formations. Anytime I see him get a hand-off from a singleback formation I cringe because it puts too much guess work in his game. He's too hesitant and he doesn't hit any holes or make any strides with conviction. 

I blame the coaching staff partly with their lack of creativity in the redzone this year. They get too cute. Sometimes it's okay to tell the defense you're running this football right at them. Line up and stop me. But they don't do that. They actually run away from it. Which is a problem IMHO. And as good as Minshew was in the play action game and rolling out earlier this year they should have used more power sets to take advantage of that. 

Again, THROW THE RUN GAME OPEN. We try to run to set up the pass. It seldom works now these days in the formations they try to do it from.

He’s a great receiver and pass blocker too. Kinda makes up for some of his short comings.