Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(11-18-2019, 05:53 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: there is no fixing the team at this point and time. just like he did the bills doug destroyed the jags franchises's winning ways. told you he was wrong person.

Wolfie, the Jags consistent winning ways were 20 years ago.  It didn’t end with Doug. Del Rio kept chopping wood, and Gus just did his job. The losing has been a tradition more so than winning since our initial run 20 years ago.  

Doug didn’t destroy this team. The culture was long established by the time he took over. He had early success, but thanks to failed first round picks that we tried to carry longer than we should have (some never should have been drafted), he hasn’t panned out as hoped. I like Doug. I just think his style of coaching doesn’t lift a team to the point where he’s squeezing every ounce of talent out of his guys. Not sure why. Maybe it’s the bologna?
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This would be my current plan on how to best improve this very disappointing team:

1. Marrone and Wash must go. Fillipo is also likely to be gone with someone the new HC would prefer.

2. The same must go for Caldwell. He has made some good moves, but the bad outweigh them greatly.

3. Pay Yannick.

4. Keep Dareus and Calais only if they re-do their deals. As great a leader as Calais is, his best days will be behind him after this season ends. He did nothing yesterday (along with the rest of the D).

5. Draft 2 difference makers in the first round- preferably Derrick Brown (if Dareus leaves) and Isaiah Simmons. Rounds 2-3 should strengthen the offensive line and cornerback; both these positions are deep next year and
quality players can be found in these rounds.

6. Figure out where to play Myles Jack. The experiment of playing him at MLB is failing.

7. Target one high-priced free agent at a position of need, i.e. Austin Hooper.

Option 1 completely clean house

Option 2 let next year play out and only fire Wash.

Not an option: only fire one of Dave/ Tom/ Doug

Save us Austin Hooper

(11-18-2019, 09:10 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:56 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just looking at some of the player stats on O shows the problems.

So rushing.

Fournette- 182 carries- 854yds- 1TD
Minshew- 42 carries- 235yds
Armstead- 21 carries- 65yds
Westbrook- 4 carries- 20yds

Receiving

Chark- 51rec- 85 targets- 796yds- 7TD
Fournette- 47rec- 58 targets- 329yds
Westbrook- 36rec- 61 targets- 415yds- 1TD
Conley- 29rec- 54 targets-  519yds- 2TD
Cole- 13rec- 16 targets- 154yds- 2TD

What's weird, Fournette has 329yds receiving but 359yds after the catch?! 

O has stalled a bit the last few weeks and obviously Foles and the O is going to need time to build cohesion. I've liked De Filippo so far so I'm interested to see how he fixes it.
Need to get Armstead more involved. Honestly surprised he hasn't tried a split back formation here and there with both of them on the field together.

As depleted as we're right now at TE it would be nice to see them test or spread the LB's out here and there with a pair of RBs.

The singleback [BLEEP] is killing me. I hate it. Fournette is not a speed back with quick feet and great vision. He's a steam engine. He needs blocking up front to give him enough time to pick up steam.

Splitting the backfield with Armstead could allow some misdirection. Fournette is certainly no slouch in pass protection. You don't know what you have there until you try it.

And as bad as pass protection is? Where are the screen plays? I would over sell the [BLEEP] out of our suspect pass protection with a screen here or there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A-freaking men.
I just couldn't believe how many downs had empty backfields. You only go empty if you know your oline doesn't need help!  If you see your oline getting dominated, call different plays!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-18-2019, 06:11 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m fed up with Leonard Fournette. He can’t make anyone miss in the open field, he slow off the handoff, and maybe in college you can put your shoulder down and run through linebackers But that don’t happen in the NFL you Gotta make guys miss at least the first guy he hasn’t shown nothing to make me believe he’s going to be a good running back. I know the offense of line ain’t that good but you tell me one game this year where he was a consistent running back. Most of his yardage came on very long run plays that four point something Per carry yardage that O-Zone and And the crew keep talking about on drive time is completely skewed by long runs. After having running backs like Fred Taylor and Jones DrewIn my opinion he’s been a Disappointment.

Ever notice Fournette seems to come up a 1/2 yard short of the first down? Some rb’s seem to have a knack for knowing exactly how to get that extra 1/2 yard, ie Jones Drew, some seem to be unaware of the 1 st down marker. I heard a coach earlier in the year, can’t remember which one, who said he talked with Fournette about not always looking for the homerun and take what’s there, he’s still always looking for the homerun. Also what happened to his speed? Went mia for some reason. I think we should let him stay home and eat more gumbo. Give him a big contract and he will eat himself right out of the league.

We used to see two backs earlier this year, ...it seemed to work as I recall.
What happened ?
I know, i know ....#becausejaguars
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-19-2019, 08:22 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: We used to see two backs earlier this year, ...it seemed to work as I recall.
What happened ?
I know, i know ....#becausejaguars

As Todd Wash would say. "We got cute". 

[Image: GivingUntriedBellsnake-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-18-2019, 09:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Same with Caldwell.  He may be the best GM the Jags have had.  And he's average.  Nothing to write home about.

From top to bottom, we're just a meh, lucky to get to 8-8 organization.  I wish we could be more.

I wrote home about Caldwell.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-18-2019, 11:42 PM)rufftime Wrote: Option 1 completely clean house

Option 2 let next year play out and only fire Wash.  

Not an option: only fire one of Dave/ Tom/ Doug

Option 3: No changes at all. All the key coaches/players return next year.  Keep retaining players and coaches even when doing bad because that is one of the criteria of #becausejaguars

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM by Kane.)

(11-18-2019, 09:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:14 AM)Kane Wrote: Coaching and FO:
I think the team needs fresh voices from the entire coach staff. Dougs a good dude, but really hasn't been anything special and this team still lacks discipline on the field. And how do you only have like 7 rush attempts while the game is within 3-7 points? I was high on Flip early on but IDK bout this dude so much. His playcalling is almost as suspect as Wash's.

And the FO has done good but not great and without being able to pin it on one dude, both dudes need to go.

This where I am, too.  I like Doug.  And Lord knows he's 10x the coach Gus was.  But that said, the work product just isn't satisfactory.  My hesitation is:  who will we get that's going to be better the just average?  I don't think there's another Kyle Shanahan floating around out there.  Just say no to Jay Gruden.  We've seen his work product (even though it was for one of the two most dysfunctional teams known to man).  McCarthy is nothing special.  Just a retread with a tired offensive gameplan.  Jim Harbaugh?  No thanks to Mr. Mediocrity.

Same with Caldwell.  He may be the best GM the Jags have had.  And he's average.  Nothing to write home about.

From top to bottom, we're just a meh, lucky to get to 8-8 organization.  I wish we could be more.

I think we should follow the trend of the NFL. Younger offensive minded HC. 
The DC should be someone who is multi faceted (34, 43, bear, whatever) and has a good resume. Like a Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel.

Some HC candidates that sort of fit the bill--
Dan Campbell (interim HC for Phins and had them playing hard. Currently coaching under Payton in Nola)
Jim Bob Cooter (the Lions offense has been just OK, but a lot of that has to do with roster construction)
Lincoln Riley (though I'm not sure he wants to leave OU, and probably wouldn't want to leave OU for us opting more for a job like Dallas)
Eric Bieniemy (this might be the hottest name on in the rumor mill, one of my favorites choices)

Of course there's other candidates people like to toss around Harbaugh, McCarthy, etc. I wouldn't be mad at McCarthy simply because of his QB background and our young ready to be molded Minshew.
And I guess there's some solid DCs ready to take over as a HC... but they tend to run with offensive guys that like to play it safe "run the ball, play defense" 1999 football.

As for the front office, I really like Louis Riddick. I've listened to him for the past few years and how he talks about rosters (he knew we had fools gold with Bortles from day 1 it seemed.) And he's been tossed around as a possible GM for the past couple off seasons. Almost landing the job for the Jets iirc and being mentioned for the Skins recently.
He's a smart dude that knows his stuff and would love him to come in and really attack this roster. He would also probably be inclined to get one of these young minds at HC and really work in tandem to build a roster for today's NFL.

(11-18-2019, 06:04 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I say bring in an air raid offense.. could it succeed in the NFL? Won’t know until someone tries..

(11-18-2019, 05:15 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Cryptic post by Hayden?

[Image: Screenshot-20191118-152512-01.jpg]

Is he talking about Benching Foles? Firing Wash? Firing Marrone? Firing Coughlin??

Find out, on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z.

The NFL is already using air raid concepts. Has been for a couple years.
Rams, and Eagles used some air raid concepts.
Cardinals pretty much run a complete air raid scheme today.
Leach even points to the Pats as using some of it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/sport...urray.html
Here's a nice article about it.

(11-19-2019, 10:09 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: This where I am, too.  I like Doug.  And Lord knows he's 10x the coach Gus was.  But that said, the work product just isn't satisfactory.  My hesitation is:  who will we get that's going to be better the just average?  I don't think there's another Kyle Shanahan floating around out there.  Just say no to Jay Gruden.  We've seen his work product (even though it was for one of the two most dysfunctional teams known to man).  McCarthy is nothing special.  Just a retread with a tired offensive gameplan.  Jim Harbaugh?  No thanks to Mr. Mediocrity.

Same with Caldwell.  He may be the best GM the Jags have had.  And he's average.  Nothing to write home about.

The DC should be someone who is multi faceted (34, 43, bear, whatever) and has a good resume. Like a Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel.

Dan Campbell (interim HC for Phins and had them playing hard. Currently coaching under Payton in Nola)
Jim Bob Cooter (the Lions offense has been just OK, but a lot of that has to do with roster construction)
Lincoln Riley (though I'm not sure he wants to leave OU, and probably wouldn't want to leave OU for us opting more for a job like Dallas)
Eric Bieniemy (this might be the hottest name on in the rumor mill, one of my favorites choices)

Of course there's other candidates people like to toss around Harbaugh, McCarthy, etc. I wouldn't be mad at McCarthy simply because of his QB background and our young ready to be molded Minshew.
And I guess there's some solid DCs ready to take over as a HC... but they tend to run with offensive guys that like to play it safe "run the ball, play defense" 1999 football.

As for the front office, I really like Louis Riddick. I've listened to him for the past few years and how he talks about rosters (he knew we had fools gold with Bortles from day 1 it seemed.) And he's been tossed around as a possible GM for the past couple off seasons. Almost landing the job for the Jets iirc and being mentioned for the Skins recently.
He's a smart dude that knows his stuff and would love him to come in and really attack this roster. He would also probably be inclined to get one of these young minds at HC and really work in tandem to build a roster for today's NFL.

(11-18-2019, 06:04 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I say bring in an air raid offense.. could it succeed in the NFL? Won’t know until someone tries..

Is he talking about Benching Foles? Firing Wash? Firing Marrone? Firing Coughlin??

Air raid, spread, run and shoot..
They've all been in the NFL for decades now.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-19-2019, 10:09 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: This where I am, too.  I like Doug.  And Lord knows he's 10x the coach Gus was.  But that said, the work product just isn't satisfactory.  My hesitation is:  who will we get that's going to be better the just average?  I don't think there's another Kyle Shanahan floating around out there.  Just say no to Jay Gruden.  We've seen his work product (even though it was for one of the two most dysfunctional teams known to man).  McCarthy is nothing special.  Just a retread with a tired offensive gameplan.  Jim Harbaugh?  No thanks to Mr. Mediocrity.

Good post. Definitely agree Bienemy will be a big name in January. Any O coach working for the Chiefs is going to be popular. 
Cooter has done a solid job for a few years now in Detroit and Stafford was really good before he got injured. He fits that experience and O choice.

McDaniels name will get thrown about but well see what happens in New England. Saleh the 49ers DC is getting a lot of respect. Don Martindale the Ravens DC may get some calls.

Everyone's looking for the next Shanahan and I'm not great on college  coaches but, just spitballing, I see a lot of ex-players turned coaches doing really nice jobs. Obviously you have TV roles pulling some but take someone like Peyton Manning. Would he want to coach? I'm not saying make him HC. Coaches are picked by the HC and usually it's their call but I've been impressed by McCardell and wouldn't mind us bringing a few ex-players back as assistant coaches.

(11-19-2019, 02:48 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:09 AM)Kane Wrote: I think we should follow the trend of the NFL. Younger offensive minded HC. 

Good post. Definitely agree Bienemy will be a big name in January. Any O coach working for the Chiefs is going to be popular. 
Cooter has done a solid job for a few years now in Detroit and Stafford was really good before he got injured. He fits that experience and O choice.

McDaniels name will get thrown about but well see what happens in New England. Saleh the 49ers DC is getting a lot of respect. Don Martindale the Ravens DC may get some calls.

Everyone's looking for the next Shanahan and I'm not great on college  coaches but, just spitballing, I see a lot of ex-players turned coaches doing really nice jobs. Obviously you have TV roles pulling some but take someone like Peyton Manning. Would he want to coach? I'm not saying make him HC. Coaches are picked by the HC and usually it's their call but I've been impressed by McCardell and wouldn't mind us bringing a few ex-players back as assistant coaches.

Leftwich is getting some experience currently under Reid, though I think he's still a bit of a ways away from HC.
Same with Dallas coordinators Moore and Richard

But yeah, to fill out positional coaches, former players should have a good knack for knowing what works and what doesn't.
I'd be weary of former players taking GM roles based on Elway's complete lack of finding a decent QB (outside of landing Manning as a FA obv.)

(11-19-2019, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 02:48 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Good post. Definitely agree Bienemy will be a big name in January. Any O coach working for the Chiefs is going to be popular. 

Leftwich is getting some experience currently under Reid, though I think he's still a bit of a ways away from HC.

But yeah, to fill out positional coaches, former players should have a good knack for knowing what works and what doesn't.
I'd be weary of former players taking GM roles based on Elway's complete lack of finding a decent QB (outside of landing Manning as a FA obv.)

Thats some good examples. Agree about Elway but Lynch is making me re-think that with the 49ers.

Romo was the great example as well. He does such a good job diagnosing plays and looks. He has a huge knowledge of football, I guess the question is can guys like him coach that into younger players. I've liked Brentson Buckner for a while. Good player and learning that coaching path. I always thought Poz was too valuable to lose when he retired.

(11-19-2019, 04:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote: Leftwich is getting some experience currently under Reid, though I think he's still a bit of a ways away from HC.

Thats some good examples. Agree about Elway but Lynch is making me re-think that with the 49ers.

Romo was the great example as well. He does such a good job diagnosing plays and looks. He has a huge knowledge of football, I guess the question is can guys like him coach that into younger players. I've liked Brentson Buckner for a while. Good player and learning that coaching path. I always thought Poz was too valuable to lose when he retired.

Yeah I absolutely love what Lynch has done with the 9ers. Totally forgot about that.
Think Poz would be a great LB coach... but you can only coach em up so much... at some point, we're going to need talent at some of these positions. (LB it seemingly is lacking, OL too)
I mean... our HC is an OL guy... been here for 4+ seasons as HC and OL coach... and our OL hasn't been great, like ever.
Need to get the right guy at GM and it'll trickle down some I think. He'll get the right coaches and players, and they'll put the right product on the field.

I hope anyway. Pressing reset every 4-6 years is getting tiresome.

We may finally experience 8-8 purgatory again for the first time since 2010.. Nice

(11-19-2019, 05:14 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: We may finally experience 8-8 purgatory again for the first time since 2010.. Nice

It's a step up. At least they'll have a less likelihood of [BLEEP] up another top ten selection.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-19-2019, 05:14 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: We may finally experience 8-8 purgatory again for the first time since 2010.. Nice

8-8 with options at QB, some key young pieces, 4 1st round picks over the next two years, and possibly a new regime isn't really all that bad of a place to be going forward.

That is optimistic as hell at this point