Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(11-21-2019, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 11:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We're getting Andy Reid?

No, we'd be getting a guy that has coached under Reid his entire KC tenure. And implemented and installed his offense as OC for 2 years with Mahomes.
He also has a lot of experience going back to Colorado U and RB coach and Asst HC with the Vikes 07 and 08 (both years AP led league in rushing).

Everyone knows Reid calls the plays but if the OC didn't have input or any impact, they wouldn't pay someone just to fill the role.
Pederson has had a lot of success in Philly taking what he learned under Reid and making it his own.
Nagy actually has done surprisingly well for someone with Trubisky at QB, a QB he didn't pick and inherited.

But I guess you can try to be funny if you want.
Think you missed the mark though

[Image: giphy.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Minshew plays for the Jaguars. He'll never be good while he's here.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019, 02:19 AM by Corriewf.)

(11-21-2019, 05:45 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 04:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: What do you mean built? The broncos defense had a ton of studs on it due to the front office. Wades defenses were elite becuase of him and the players, not because of Del Rio

Phillip's took them over the top but Del Rio built the unit. Malik Jackson was a 5th round pick, Trevathan a 6th round pick, both went on to be SB winners. He had a D of young guys and old vets and if you remember they picked up Del Rio at the same time as Manning and Denver moved more resources and focus to O. 

He got them to a SB and it wasnt the D that lost to Seattle. He always had solid D's here and at Oakland. The guys had good success without elite talent. I think you could pick a lot worse.

I appreciate the analysis of the Ds. Solid Ds are better than EDs. 

I like JDR...keep chopping wood!

(11-21-2019, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote: No, we'd be getting a guy that has coached under Reid his entire KC tenure. And implemented and installed his offense as OC for 2 years with Mahomes.
He also has a lot of experience going back to Colorado U and RB coach and Asst HC with the Vikes 07 and 08 (both years AP led league in rushing).

Everyone knows Reid calls the plays but if the OC didn't have input or any impact, they wouldn't pay someone just to fill the role.
Pederson has had a lot of success in Philly taking what he learned under Reid and making it his own.
Nagy actually has done surprisingly well for someone with Trubisky at QB, a QB he didn't pick and inherited.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I'm light as a feather. When people say dumb stuff, I call it out.
[Image: source.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM by IndyJagsFan.)

Having just spoke to my ticket agent at the Stadium earlier today while ordering my seats for the last three home games, I can guarantee the first change he would make is putting Gardner Minshew back in the lineup. I quote "They (the coaches and staff) haven't made my job of selling tickets any easier with the change...." Tickets are moving much....more......slowly... since the QB change.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2019, 04:17 PM by JackCity.)

(11-21-2019, 12:09 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 11:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We're getting Andy Reid?

No, we'd be getting a guy that has coached under Reid his entire KC tenure. And implemented and installed his offense as OC for 2 years with Mahomes.

Pederson is a good coach who had a ton of help offensively with Reich and Flip and that has plummeted once they left. 

Nagy has had average to bad offenses and is being hard carried by a top 5 defense. Yes Mitch sucks but his play design and calling has been poor too, especially with how much they've invested.  

The point is there is nothing you can point to that shows Bienamy is a good play caller or can functionally build a good offense. Offense is Andy's baby. He seems like a good coach who's had some serious issues in his prior life. 

For my next hire I'd like to see an offense mind with a track record we can bank on and feel safe in knowing it will be a good well designed offense, the defense has enough pieces up front to cook regardless

First I would trade Foles for whatever I could get. Then I would give the keys to Minshew and build around his strengths.

Second I would get me a good quality guard on the right side, through FA or draft one. Then I would cut Norwell and find me a LG.

Third, I would target a Safety in the draft. Probably in the 1st or 2nd round.

Oliver would be my TE1 and I would call his number way more often down in the red zone.

Fourth - I would welcome Telvin Smith back with open arms. Him and Jack work good together.

Then I would go after a quality DT or 2.

(11-22-2019, 02:18 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 05:45 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Phillip's took them over the top but Del Rio built the unit. Malik Jackson was a 5th round pick, Trevathan a 6th round pick, both went on to be SB winners. He had a D of young guys and old vets and if you remember they picked up Del Rio at the same time as Manning and Denver moved more resources and focus to O. 

He got them to a SB and it wasnt the D that lost to Seattle. He always had solid D's here and at Oakland. The guys had good success without elite talent. I think you could pick a lot worse.

I appreciate the analysis of the Ds. Solid Ds are better than EDs. 

I like JDR...keep chopping wood!

I can give you the endless list of stats if you want them.

(11-22-2019, 10:57 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-21-2019, 10:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I'm light as a feather. When people say dumb stuff, I call it out.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Fix the Jaguars in 2020:

HC/OC with a current mindset regarding league offensive trends, rules changes, and officiating mandates

* Use Fournette in a committee and multiple back sets - spread out the defense and don't make LF the centerpiece - he's too easy to defend when he can be the singular focus for a defense - can be effective when otherwise implemented

* If no one will trade for Foles, let Minshew have a legit shot at competing for the start despite overpaying Foles for one year

* D coordinator must come with a scheme that is malleable enough to adjust to the players' varying skill-sets and shortcomings

* F.O. must help that coordinator by acquiring upgrades an nose tackle, LB, safety, and CB

* Upgrade at least two pieces on that O-Line. Personally, I'd aim for LT and RG 

The daunting fact is, every year we have a "formula for fixing the team" and even when we do it, something else unexpectedly falls apart.

I'm swinging for the fences. I'm trading up for either Tua or Burrow in the hopes that it completely changes the dynamic of this team (Watson, Jackson, Mahomes). It may be a big gamble but I'm so done with mediocrity.

1. Clean house (HC, GM,) and new G.M. brings in Eric Bieniemy to be head coach. Bieniemy naturally chooses his coaching staff. Khan opens his wallet to find GM.

2. Most roster positions will be contested since right now the only givens are:

Fournette
Chark
Westbrook
Taylor
Allen
Jack (move him out of middle)
Williams
Harrison
Bouye
Lambo and Cooke
Norwell and Foles (only due to cap hit if cut)
Minshew (see what he can do)
Bouye

That's 15 spots. The other 38 must be won and that includes Linder, Robinson and other high priced or highly drafted guys not producing where they should. Naturally, guys like Herndon and Oliver will be given a chance to develop as well as Fournette's current back-up from Temple.

3. Re-sign Yannick. He and Allen would be building blocks on defense.

4. Try to get Dareus to re-do his contract since he is very good at stopping the run.

5. Only keep Campbell for big discount. His best days are behind him. I'd still put him in The Pride for all he has done.

6. Continue drafting BAP. This team has too many needs. In the 1st 3 rounds they need to focus on Offensive line, defensive tackle, linebacker, safety, tight end and cornerback. They should find the BAP at one of these positions for each of their top 4 picks. Don't even consider taking a q.b., running back, wide-receiver or defensive end until at least the 4th round.

7. Forget about spending big money on top free agents. Campbell and Bouye were great, but this team usually overpays way too much for guys like Foles, Norwell, Moncrief, etc, etc. Instead, go after more tier 2 players who can provide depth and build through the draft like all good teams.

As disappointing as this team has been this season (and the past 15 years!) if Khan hires the right guys this team can be "fixed" in a couple of years. Naturally, they must hit on their draft picks, but likely having 3 picks in the top 40 next season to add to their current building blocks should make this team competitive again. There are a lot of "ifs" involved, but that's all we Jaguars have right now.

^ not to nitpick, but that’s 14 spots. Bouye is listed twice.

(11-25-2019, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fix the Jaguars in 2020:

HC/OC with a current mindset regarding league offensive trends, rules changes, and officiating mandates

* Use Fournette in a committee and multiple back sets - spread out the defense and don't make LF the centerpiece - he's too easy to defend when he can be the singular focus for a defense - can be effective when otherwise implemented

* If no one will trade for Foles, let Minshew have a legit shot at competing for the start despite overpaying Foles for one year

* D coordinator must come with a scheme that is malleable enough to adjust to the players' varying skill-sets and shortcomings

* F.O. must help that coordinator by acquiring upgrades an nose tackle, LB, safety, and CB

This seems nearly identical to the same laundry list from 2012 going into 2013. This has happened twice now within seven years. You failed to mention Dave Caldwell's name here along with Tom Coughlin. They need to go. I would add that they need to hire a new General Manager from an organization such as the Kansas City Chiefs or Philadelphia Eagles to take over the reigns in the front office. Joe Douglas and Mike Borgonzi need to be on Mr. Khan's radar if not already for 2020. 

(11-25-2019, 01:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm swinging for the fences. I'm trading up for either Tua or Burrow in the hopes that it completely changes the dynamic of this team (Watson, Jackson, Mahomes). It may be a big gamble but I'm so done with mediocrity.

Until NYC4Jags list is addressed above I see no value in giving up an arsenal of draft capital to gamble on Tua, who is already injury prone coming out of college nor Burrow with this current cast of unreliable and inconsistent offensive lineman. They can't even manage a balanced gameplan at this time. 

Let's bring in these guys so they get shell shocked early like David Carr or Tim Couch. Pass. They have a promising prospect in Minshew. Let him try out for 2020 along with Foles for the job. If they show legitimacy then we have our problem solved. If not? You have a pair of first round picks to land Lawrence, who could probably end up outing Burrow for a National Championship here soon. 
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Fire everybody, front office, coaches, and have them take Gumbo (  Fournette ) with them.

Welp, looking like another total rebuild. At least we have our QB of the future. (Minshew)

(11-25-2019, 02:03 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

This seems nearly identical to the same laundry list from 2012 going into 2013. This has happened twice now within seven years. You failed to mention Dave Caldwell's name here along with Tom Coughlin. They need to go.

It's different actually. 
2012/13 we were still barren of a pass rush and any talent at the position. We are loaded for bear there now. 
  We had zero effective DBs at any position save maybe a placeholder journeyman in SS Landry and an aging Mathis who was frankly struggling pretty often.  Our current secondary is miles better. They just need to address FS and add competition at corner#2.
We had Blaine Gabbert at QB in 2012/13, and we had absolutely no one at WR outside of Blackmon who was about to crash and burn. 
Now it's Minshew/Foles with Chark/Westbrook/Conley/Cole. Miles better talent again 0 this time in the passing game.

Very different (and shorter) list of needs. 

I didn't list anything concerning the F.O. because I haven't made my mind on the matter and I feel regardless of who is holding those positions of power come the offseason - they can right this ship by getting that shopping list adequately completed.

100%. That would make a hell of a difference 

Just make that the help wanted sign. Apply within!

(11-25-2019, 02:01 PM)Jags Wrote: ^ not to nitpick, but that’s 14 spots.  Bouye is listed twice.

Sorry, I failed 1st grade math- always messed up after getting to 10.