Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

First step to fixing this team, fire the HC before Thanksgiving

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 08:48 PM by Upper.)

Whatever fixes our unbelievably terrible play recognition/overagression/overpursuits whatever you want to call it. That's what needs to get fixed more than anything defensively.

https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/11...6995522565

How to fix this?

Start with this

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

To start

1. Dismissal of Coughlin, Caldwell, Marrone, scouting staff, most assistant coaches, and scouting department.  I want no one from this current regime to influence the draft capital the team has built.

2. Cut some cap from the fat.  Restructure or cut Campbell, cut norwell, cut linder, cut Lee, cut Cann, Trade or release Foles to start. The roster needs to be flipped because there is little depth on this team.

3. Prioritize areas of need with the draft and free agency.  Offensive Line, Tight End, Receivers, Linebacker, Secondary are the immediate areas of need of an upgrade

4. Focus more on the offensive side of the ball instead of the defense.  The Jags are building like it's 1985 with running the ball and trying to build a solid defense.  The rules are geared towards the offense in today's NFL.  Time to Focus money and draft capital more on the offense.

5. This Cover 3 Walsh Scheme is outdated.  Offensive Coordinators have found ways to exploit it.  Seattle has even gotten away from it or at the least have molded their game. Time to find a Defensive and Offensive Coordinators that understands today's game.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Since there's no real way to say who made what decisions (good or bad), I can only say let go of everyone: Coughlin, Caldwell and coaching staff.  

Hire a head coach who has final say on all roster decisions.

Core of the team:  Minshew, Chark, Fournette, Taylor, Cooke, Lambo, Allen, Ngokoue

Everyone else open to being traded, cut, let walk, repurposed etc...

Try and resign: Ngokoue, Darius, Calais (new contract) to play rotational on outside

Franchise Ngokoue if necessary

Consider trading Fournette

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any move to be made at quarterback in FA.  I'd keep all three quarterbacks and name one of them the starter for 2020.  Who's the frontrunner for the position depends on how Foles plays rest of season.  If neither QB pan out as definite franchise guy in 2020, draft a QB in 2021 and keep one as backup.  I also wouldn't be completely against using a 1st rounder in 2020, depending on how bad Foles is.  And then we know we at least have a backup in Minshew.

I don't think stopping the run is that big of a deal.  That can be fixed easily with new staff, and better offense.  We just don't want it to be horrendously awful.  Building a good O-Line is the big task.   

Draft rules:  No TE in 1st round.  No RB in first round.

Stop running for negative two yards on first down

Been thinking about the D. I like Coughlin and I let a lot slide due to that but he has some big questions to answer. Let's look at the 2017 D

Yannick, Dareus, Malik, Calais
Telvin, Poz, Jack
Ramsey, Gipson, Church, Bouye

And Fowler and Colvin. 

Poz was the only retirement. Church needed a long term replacement. Malik and Fowler were contract decisions. Now this is 2019

Yannick, Dareus, Bryan, Campbell
Quincey, Jack, Goode
Bouye, Wilson, Harrison, Herndon.

It's such a step back. Theres no reason the talent on D has dropped this much, this quickly. We should be adding pieces here and there, adding guys that give us even more options yet were rebuilding big units again.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 02:22 AM by Jaxjagman2.)

Get rid of TC,we fired him before why in the hell would you think the 2nd time is a charm?Next is Mollone,TC's puppet

;

;
<FONT face="Weltron Urban" color=#008080 size=7><I></I></FONT> 

(11-25-2019, 08:46 PM)Upper Wrote: Whatever fixes our unbelievably terrible play recognition/overagression/overpursuits whatever you want to call it. That's what needs to get fixed more than anything defensively.

Can't tackle, can't learn their gaps, and get fooled by every play action. 

I wonder what the defense actually does for practice.

(11-26-2019, 03:31 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 08:46 PM)Upper Wrote: Whatever fixes our unbelievably terrible play recognition/overagression/overpursuits whatever you want to call it. That's what needs to get fixed more than anything defensively.

Can't tackle, can't learn their gaps, and get fooled by every play action. 

I wonder what the defense actually does for practice.

They don't do anything during the week..

Marrone said it himself, that he wasn't going to do anything during the bye week.. He was going to take a full week off and blah blah blah. This coaching staff and front office are a complete joke.

Wash said it all this past week... He said he isn't going to change anything and play the scheme. That's even after giving up 200+ rushing yards for 2-3 straight weeks. Nothing is going to change until this entire coaching staff/FO is gone.

Overpursuit is a symptom of relying on speed rather than position/scheme/experience.

You can coach that out of guys, as long as you have coaches and an audience willing to listen.

Fire Marrone and Wash, promote Keenan McCardell to Interim Head Coach. Capers as Interim DC.

Strengthen both sides of the trenches and overhaul the LBs. Get a new TE.

Fire Marrone, keep Caldwell he's loaded this team with talent. It's just not being used well at all. If we get a great coach in here that has a good, young view of the modern game this team could start winning fast.

(11-18-2019, 04:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Build through the draft like any good general manager would do in the NFL. I wouldn't spend both of our first round picks next year at all. And I wouldn't probably spend both of our first round picks in the following draft neither. I would actually try and position myself out of the 1st RD while picking up future 1st RD picks for 2021 and 2022. My scouting department would be looking at promising sophomore prospects in the college ranks TODAY and for future drafts. 

As far as free agency? I would look for low risk / high reward depth players to bolster my offensive line and defensive line. All of my draft picks are used on skill position players that will give me my most bang for the buck. 

I want three down players at TE, RB & WR. I want versatile players. Players with range. Players with high character and consistent production. Blockers that can make pancakes and get around the edge to that next level. I don't want guys that get pushed back or stone walled at the point of attack. 

Defensively I want virtually the same. I don't want any "tweeners" on here or "one tricky pony's with room to grow". Give me healthy, consistent starters from college and then show me how they played from start to finish in big games, bowl games and whether or not they let the scoreboard, whether down or up, dictate their effort and morale on the football field. 

I have never been a fan of "blowing up" anything. Unless it's the bathroom and my guts have had enough. But other than that. You have to have a good mix of youth, vets and role players. But the more you can do individually as a player? The better. With limited practices. Short contract lengths. And only 53 spots to carry into the regular season? Versatility, availability, discipline and consistency are the golden rules of my department when it comes to value. That would be drilled into my scouting department's head.

Coaching wise I would go after Mike McCarthy. Followed by Greg Roman, Kellen Moore & Jay Gruden as potential new hires.

I think Caldrac's post best describes my plan for "rebuilding" a team.  A long-term winning team must have B+ with some SNEAKY A- players at all 21 positions as well as the depth behind them.  These players are high character, proven, disciplined, and consistent every game.  SNEAKY A- means that other teams, and the player himself doesn't quite realize quite how well they fit the system; allowing them to remain on the team long-term without a cap busting contract.  I describe these guys as being on the cusp of the probowl.

The best way to get here is to trade DOWN in the draft for several years.  Getting 2-3 B+/A- players rather than 1 shot at an A+ player that will require a big contract before you've accomplished the other 21 positions.  Once completed the above team should be able to go 8-8 reliably. 

Once this is accomplished it's time to address the 1 missing position from above: QB.  Here is where you can use draft assets and/or free cap space to go get "The Guy."  While a franchise QB can make a bad team look better, they are much better utilized making a decent team look great.  This also prevents the QB from developing bad habits that are formed from too many sacks/pressures or a general lack of targets while they're being brought up.

Now you've got a team that's winning 9-11 games a season long-term.  Here's where you can take higher risk shots, so long as it doesn't affect the first goal of keeping a functionally good team on the field.  Here's where your 1+ WR come in, an outstanding LT, a shut-down corner, etc. come in.  Maybe a big FA contract to get that one position that can push you over the edge.

Here's where--if the dice roll properly--you get your 1:32 shot at winning the superbowl.

(11-26-2019, 12:59 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Fire Marrone and Wash, promote Keenan McCardell to Interim Head Coach.  Capers as Interim DC.

Why would you do that McCardell? Poor guy. Smile
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM by Firesky.)

Before I do anything else, I clean house, Caldwell, Coughlin, Marrone, Wash etc. The only coaches I retain are McCardell (WR's) & Terry Robiskie (RB's).

-Hire Mike McCarthy as Head Coach; have Capers step back into the DC role. Whatever OC McCarthy wants to go with i'm likely going to be fine with.
-Resign Yannick Ngakoue. As soon as our HC is secured, this is the first order of business.
-Trade Nick Foles to the Bears (or a team willing to take him, compensation doesn't matter; getting his salary off the books is the goal here, i'm even fine throwing in a late rounder [6th/7th] to do a Brock Osweiller type buyout/trade, although it shouldn't come to that) once Foles and his pricy contract are shipped out, declare Minshew as our guy and build around him.
-Cut Andrew Norwell & AJ Cann. IDC if we have a replacement in hand or not, both are overpaid and Guard should be one of the easiest positions to find, our lack of interior Oline play has been an achilles heel for our offense for YEARS now. I also re-evaluate Linder and his contract, and whether or not he should be moved to Guard if it's easier to find a Center.
-Figure out Telvin Smith's situation, if he stays retired I move Myles Jack to WLB (unless Capers thinks we should rebuild in the mold of a 3-4 Defense in which case Jack remains one of the 2 ILB's)
-Throw THE BAG $$$$$$ at Hunter Henry in free agency. He's the only TE on the market imho, and a rookie is going to take time, securing HH at TE is honestly the most key thing to the offense's rebuild.
-Release Marqise Lee & Trade Dede Westbrook. Lee is too expensive and always hurt, Dede is entering the last year of his contract and for a slot receiver he'll be too pricy imho, spend the $$ elsewhere and try and recoup a draft pick.
-Resign Fournette, if he wants over $10-12 mil per year, trade him, and then sign Melvin Gordon or Matt Brieda instead (assuming the contract & $$$ makes sense)
-Trade for Trent Williams (at some point a reasonable deal will be negotiated), Sign Brandon Scherff, have Cam Robinson & Jawaan Taylor compete for RT, loser plays Guard.
-2020 Draft - Use our early picks: 2 First Rounders, 2nd & 3rd rounders on: a playmaking FS, a STUD Nose Tackle (DT), a TRUE MLB, & a WR2 to complement DJ Chark (also resign Chark in a year when he's eligible for extension) if the trade for Trent Williams falls through, get an interior Olinemen early instead of a WR2 (but still get a WR2 in the 4th/5th round or free agency)
-Sign a 3rd down RB that can catch out of the backfield & pass block well. (assuming we don't go the Gordon/Brieda route like I discussed previously)

Plenty more to discuss and I'd churn a good portion of the roster that most have never heard of, but I think this would be a VERY good start to righting the ship.

As far as the Trent Williams trade, I think a package of: Fournette, Dede Westbrook, Draft Pick could actually get it done. [it's not that i dislike Fournette, quite the opposite actually, I just think that we can make a lateral move to Gordon or a healthy Brieda and upgrade our Oline in a SUBSTANTIAL way.]
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Nah. I’m not firing Coughlin. Just get me a head coach that doesn’t argue with his best player on the sideline, during an actual NFL game///////

Not sure why guys are wanting to run Tom outta town again. Coughlin is not the problem guys...it’s Doug Marrone and Wash. Those 2 are the ones you want to run outta town.

Clean house. New front office, new coaching staff.

I would focus on the offense. I think the defense could be good enough if the offense could stay on the field.

Find an offensive minded head coach to maximize Minshew’s talents.

Draft offensive line help(at least one in the first). Focus on rebuilding the offensive line. That needs to be the #1 focus.

Keep Foles to backup and teach Minshew to be a pro. It costs too much to cut him or trade him.

My offensive philosophy would be to control TOP. Run the ball, play action pass.

Trim the cap where you can. I don’t pretend to know all these moves. No big free agent signings.

(11-26-2019, 08:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Nah. I’m not firing Coughlin. Just get me a head coach that doesn’t argue with his best player on the sideline, during an actual NFL game///////

Not sure why guys are wanting to run Tom outta town again. Coughlin is not the problem guys...it’s Doug Marrone and Wash. Those 2 are the ones you want to run outta town.

I think Coughlin is 50-50 at the moment. Shad has a lot of trust in him, all I want to see is a plan to move us forward. I love him but the roster has got worse in that time and the decisions hes made haven't worked out. 

We wont find anyone with more experience and it seems to be a personal goal for Coughlin to do something with the Jags.

I'm not for sacking him just to sack him, Khan will want someone to lean on and I think he will be more patient with Coughlin than Marrone and Wash.