Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(11-19-2019, 10:09 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: This where I am, too.  I like Doug.  And Lord knows he's 10x the coach Gus was.  But that said, the work product just isn't satisfactory.  My hesitation is:  who will we get that's going to be better the just average?  I don't think there's another Kyle Shanahan floating around out there.  Just say no to Jay Gruden.  We've seen his work product (even though it was for one of the two most dysfunctional teams known to man).  McCarthy is nothing special.  Just a retread with a tired offensive gameplan.  Jim Harbaugh?  No thanks to Mr. Mediocrity.

Same with Caldwell.  He may be the best GM the Jags have had.  And he's average.  Nothing to write home about.

From top to bottom, we're just a meh, lucky to get to 8-8 organization.  I wish we could be more.

I think we should follow the trend of the NFL. Younger offensive minded HC. 
The DC should be someone who is multi faceted (34, 43, bear, whatever) and has a good resume. Like a Wade Phillips, Romeo Crennel.

Some HC candidates that sort of fit the bill--
Dan Campbell (interim HC for Phins and had them playing hard. Currently coaching under Payton in Nola)
Jim Bob Cooter (the Lions offense has been just OK, but a lot of that has to do with roster construction)
Lincoln Riley (though I'm not sure he wants to leave OU, and probably wouldn't want to leave OU for us opting more for a job like Dallas)
Eric Bieniemy (this might be the hottest name on in the rumor mill, one of my favorites choices)

Of course there's other candidates people like to toss around Harbaugh, McCarthy, etc. I wouldn't be mad at McCarthy simply because of his QB background and our young ready to be molded Minshew.
And I guess there's some solid DCs ready to take over as a HC... but they tend to run with offensive guys that like to play it safe "run the ball, play defense" 1999 football.

As for the front office, I really like Louis Riddick. I've listened to him for the past few years and how he talks about rosters (he knew we had fools gold with Bortles from day 1 it seemed.) And he's been tossed around as a possible GM for the past couple off seasons. Almost landing the job for the Jets iirc and being mentioned for the Skins recently.
He's a smart dude that knows his stuff and would love him to come in and really attack this roster. He would also probably be inclined to get one of these young minds at HC and really work in tandem to build a roster for today's NFL.

(11-18-2019, 06:04 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I say bring in an air raid offense.. could it succeed in the NFL? Won’t know until someone tries..

Is he talking about Benching Foles? Firing Wash? Firing Marrone? Firing Coughlin??

Find out, on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z.

The NFL is already using air raid concepts. Has been for a couple years.
Rams, and Eagles used some air raid concepts.
Cardinals pretty much run a complete air raid scheme today.
Leach even points to the Pats as using some of it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/sport...urray.html
Here's a nice article about it.

Good post. Definitely agree Bienemy will be a big name in January. Any O coach working for the Chiefs is going to be popular. 
Cooter has done a solid job for a few years now in Detroit and Stafford was really good before he got injured. He fits that experience and O choice.

McDaniels name will get thrown about but well see what happens in New England. Saleh the 49ers DC is getting a lot of respect. Don Martindale the Ravens DC may get some calls.

Everyone's looking for the next Shanahan and I'm not great on college  coaches but, just spitballing, I see a lot of ex-players turned coaches doing really nice jobs. Obviously you have TV roles pulling some but take someone like Peyton Manning. Would he want to coach? I'm not saying make him HC. Coaches are picked by the HC and usually it's their call but I've been impressed by McCardell and wouldn't mind us bringing a few ex-players back as assistant coaches.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team? - by JagFan81 - 11-19-2019, 02:48 PM