Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(11-18-2019, 04:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Build through the draft like any good general manager would do in the NFL. I wouldn't spend both of our first round picks next year at all. And I wouldn't probably spend both of our first round picks in the following draft neither. I would actually try and position myself out of the 1st RD while picking up future 1st RD picks for 2021 and 2022. My scouting department would be looking at promising sophomore prospects in the college ranks TODAY and for future drafts. 

As far as free agency? I would look for low risk / high reward depth players to bolster my offensive line and defensive line. All of my draft picks are used on skill position players that will give me my most bang for the buck. 

I want three down players at TE, RB & WR. I want versatile players. Players with range. Players with high character and consistent production. Blockers that can make pancakes and get around the edge to that next level. I don't want guys that get pushed back or stone walled at the point of attack. 

Defensively I want virtually the same. I don't want any "tweeners" on here or "one tricky pony's with room to grow". Give me healthy, consistent starters from college and then show me how they played from start to finish in big games, bowl games and whether or not they let the scoreboard, whether down or up, dictate their effort and morale on the football field. 

I have never been a fan of "blowing up" anything. Unless it's the bathroom and my guts have had enough. But other than that. You have to have a good mix of youth, vets and role players. But the more you can do individually as a player? The better. With limited practices. Short contract lengths. And only 53 spots to carry into the regular season? Versatility, availability, discipline and consistency are the golden rules of my department when it comes to value. That would be drilled into my scouting department's head.

Coaching wise I would go after Mike McCarthy. Followed by Greg Roman, Kellen Moore & Jay Gruden as potential new hires.

I think Caldrac's post best describes my plan for "rebuilding" a team.  A long-term winning team must have B+ with some SNEAKY A- players at all 21 positions as well as the depth behind them.  These players are high character, proven, disciplined, and consistent every game.  SNEAKY A- means that other teams, and the player himself doesn't quite realize quite how well they fit the system; allowing them to remain on the team long-term without a cap busting contract.  I describe these guys as being on the cusp of the probowl.

The best way to get here is to trade DOWN in the draft for several years.  Getting 2-3 B+/A- players rather than 1 shot at an A+ player that will require a big contract before you've accomplished the other 21 positions.  Once completed the above team should be able to go 8-8 reliably. 

Once this is accomplished it's time to address the 1 missing position from above: QB.  Here is where you can use draft assets and/or free cap space to go get "The Guy."  While a franchise QB can make a bad team look better, they are much better utilized making a decent team look great.  This also prevents the QB from developing bad habits that are formed from too many sacks/pressures or a general lack of targets while they're being brought up.

Now you've got a team that's winning 9-11 games a season long-term.  Here's where you can take higher risk shots, so long as it doesn't affect the first goal of keeping a functionally good team on the field.  Here's where your 1+ WR come in, an outstanding LT, a shut-down corner, etc. come in.  Maybe a big FA contract to get that one position that can push you over the edge.

Here's where--if the dice roll properly--you get your 1:32 shot at winning the superbowl.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team? - by cland - 11-26-2019, 03:36 PM