Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM by Firesky.)

Before I do anything else, I clean house, Caldwell, Coughlin, Marrone, Wash etc. The only coaches I retain are McCardell (WR's) & Terry Robiskie (RB's).

-Hire Mike McCarthy as Head Coach; have Capers step back into the DC role. Whatever OC McCarthy wants to go with i'm likely going to be fine with.
-Resign Yannick Ngakoue. As soon as our HC is secured, this is the first order of business.
-Trade Nick Foles to the Bears (or a team willing to take him, compensation doesn't matter; getting his salary off the books is the goal here, i'm even fine throwing in a late rounder [6th/7th] to do a Brock Osweiller type buyout/trade, although it shouldn't come to that) once Foles and his pricy contract are shipped out, declare Minshew as our guy and build around him.
-Cut Andrew Norwell & AJ Cann. IDC if we have a replacement in hand or not, both are overpaid and Guard should be one of the easiest positions to find, our lack of interior Oline play has been an achilles heel for our offense for YEARS now. I also re-evaluate Linder and his contract, and whether or not he should be moved to Guard if it's easier to find a Center.
-Figure out Telvin Smith's situation, if he stays retired I move Myles Jack to WLB (unless Capers thinks we should rebuild in the mold of a 3-4 Defense in which case Jack remains one of the 2 ILB's)
-Throw THE BAG $$$$$$ at Hunter Henry in free agency. He's the only TE on the market imho, and a rookie is going to take time, securing HH at TE is honestly the most key thing to the offense's rebuild.
-Release Marqise Lee & Trade Dede Westbrook. Lee is too expensive and always hurt, Dede is entering the last year of his contract and for a slot receiver he'll be too pricy imho, spend the $$ elsewhere and try and recoup a draft pick.
-Resign Fournette, if he wants over $10-12 mil per year, trade him, and then sign Melvin Gordon or Matt Brieda instead (assuming the contract & $$$ makes sense)
-Trade for Trent Williams (at some point a reasonable deal will be negotiated), Sign Brandon Scherff, have Cam Robinson & Jawaan Taylor compete for RT, loser plays Guard.
-2020 Draft - Use our early picks: 2 First Rounders, 2nd & 3rd rounders on: a playmaking FS, a STUD Nose Tackle (DT), a TRUE MLB, & a WR2 to complement DJ Chark (also resign Chark in a year when he's eligible for extension) if the trade for Trent Williams falls through, get an interior Olinemen early instead of a WR2 (but still get a WR2 in the 4th/5th round or free agency)
-Sign a 3rd down RB that can catch out of the backfield & pass block well. (assuming we don't go the Gordon/Brieda route like I discussed previously)

Plenty more to discuss and I'd churn a good portion of the roster that most have never heard of, but I think this would be a VERY good start to righting the ship.

As far as the Trent Williams trade, I think a package of: Fournette, Dede Westbrook, Draft Pick could actually get it done. [it's not that i dislike Fournette, quite the opposite actually, I just think that we can make a lateral move to Gordon or a healthy Brieda and upgrade our Oline in a SUBSTANTIAL way.]
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team? - by Firesky - 11-26-2019, 06:49 PM