Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Tesla cybertruck

Our roads are filled with cars many thought were ugly when they came out, which seems to create a market from folks who prefer their vehicles be unique.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2019, 02:55 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Our roads are filled with cars many thought were ugly when they came out, which seems to create a market from folks who prefer their vehicles be unique.

I expect there will be room in the market for more expensive electric trucks with lesser capabilities than the Tesla based on styling, but much the way a lot of people were wrong about the importance of a gauge cluster in selling cars, my guess is a lot of people that think truck drivers will ignore the Tesla based on style will likewise turn out to be wrong.

The Model 3 has been absolutely destroying the sport luxury car market, especially BMW. The Cybertruck may do the same. Especially the "sport" truck market.

(11-27-2019, 12:54 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve never watched Elon Musk speak.  Finally watched the cyber truck video.  He certainly isn’t a public speaker, that’s for sure.

You should watch him get baked with Joe Rogan on his podcast. He's wired differently for sure. Him and Zuckerberg both are oddballs socially. Almost like their thoughts are clearly out running their ability to speak them by a good 100 MPH. I didn't realize he has so many damn kids. And apparently he's with some Canadian pop star lady singer and her music videos are odd too.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-29-2019, 05:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 12:54 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve never watched Elon Musk speak.  Finally watched the cyber truck video.  He certainly isn’t a public speaker, that’s for sure.

You should watch him get baked with Joe Rogan on his podcast. He's wired differently for sure. Him and Zuckerberg both are oddballs socially. Almost like their thoughts are clearly out running their ability to speak them by a good 100 MPH. I didn't realize he has so many damn kids. And apparently he's with some Canadian pop star lady singer and her music videos are odd too.

I get being eccentric and all.  I’d just assume being a billionaire, he’d have to publicly speak enough not to look like he just walked out there and winged it with no clue what was going on or what was going to happen next.  That presentation looked ill prepared on his part.  But, if that’s his thing... well... it’s working.  More power to him

Several times I've stated here that listening to Musk speak is painful.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 10:19 PM by Jags.)

(11-29-2019, 10:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Several times I've stated here that listening to Musk speak is painful.

“Painful” is a pretty accurate assessment.  But I guess being a billionaire, it doesn’t really matter.  I personally would have been a bit more prepared/articulate if I was going to unveil my latest and greatest creation. 

If no one knew who this guy was and saw him speak and seen the mishap with the windows, no one would be buying this “truck”.

(11-26-2019, 11:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Also. The design reminds me of the car from that movie "The Wraith" from the 1980's. [Image: 59a083e7bad5729749c83af3d40c72a0.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-23-at-7.53.44-PM.png?w=1000&ssl=1]

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Someone said it is a futuristic design from the 70’s

Man honestly it looks ridiculous. Can’t put dual exhaust on it. If it breaks then a normal mechanic can’t fix it.

Can’t mud bogg it. But that electric quad was bad to the bone.

(12-04-2019, 07:08 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Someone said it is a futuristic design from the 70’s

Man honestly it looks ridiculous. Can’t put dual exhaust on it. If it breaks then a normal mechanic can’t fix it.

Why do you think a normal mechanic couldn't fix it? Maybe not the electric motor or battery, the former being unlikely to need work at all and the latter being warrantied for a very long time. The rest of the stuff like brakes and suspension are probably using "normal" parts.

Of course the best part about EV is it needs less maintenance overall.

I don't love the look of this truck however it has began to grow on me and I can definitely see the appeal. It's futuristic for sure but the specs, along with the price is what stands out. As an F-150 owner myself, I think it would be irresponsible of me or any consumer in general to not at least consider this truck when it hits the market as it seems to be a good value considering the price. My issue is that I drive about 25k miles a year. Even with the longest range vehicle rated at 500+ miles we all know 500+ means driving slow, not pulling anything, no payload, they are manufacturer specs. At times this would be an issue for someone like me unless I were able to charge during a long drive.

I'm excited for what Tesla is doing. Ford owns the pickup market, I don't see them just bending over and letting Tesla take a large chunk of that market share. They will and already are developing something that will most likely be released around the same time. Consider the production capabilities of Ford vs. Tesla, Ford can pump out a ton of cars and with each one they build the price comes down thus closing the gap that Tesla has if you assume that Tesla's R&D is further along. Even if Ford had to take a loss on an electric truck in the beginning, similar to how Tesla has, Ford would have do to it in order to remain competitive. Tesla innovates and the competition will need to do the same in order to remain relevant. 

As for the Tesla pulling the F-150, the Tesla truck weighs an additional 1,000 lbs, this has everything to do with why it was able to pull the Ford. Regardless, videos like this are silly, just like the Ford electric truck prototype pulling a 1.25 million lb train.

(11-26-2019, 11:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote: There's already 200,000 or more deposits made on this vehicle. And reportedly it's not just the base model being booked. It certainly stands out design wise. I can see why most folks are turned off by it from the body frame.

However, it's hard to dislike anything about it other than that. The MPG is impressive. The flatbed is nice. The built in ramp is nice.

You can also get the retractable bed cover fitted with solar panel slots which gives you the ability to recharge on the go. It picks up speed relatively fast.

Has plenty of power. Plenty of room inside. It's different. He achieved his goal in literally standing out. Would I buy it? No. But that's because I wouldn't buy anything nowhere near $40,000.

Can't afford it. But also not a fan of buying something brand spanking new that has nothing but depreciated value the moment you pull off the assembly line or parking lot with it.

If this is still a 'thing' 10 years from now and I am barely in my 40's and the price is closer to $20,000? I'd buy it. Especially the matte black design.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vehicles no doubt depreciate when purchased brand new however both Tesla's and pickup trucks in general hold their value very well. I just recently was in the market for a new truck, I had every intention of going used but ended up buying new because of how expensive the used trucks were. I have always shared that same thought as you and never thought that I would purchase a brand new vehicle. I basically would of saved less than 10k buying a used truck 2-3 years old with under 50k miles, more value in the new truck IMO.

(12-04-2019, 08:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 07:08 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Someone said it is a futuristic design from the 70’s

Why do you think a normal mechanic couldn't fix it? Maybe not the electric motor or battery, the former being unlikely to need work at all and the latter being warrantied for a very long time. The rest of the stuff like brakes and suspension are probably using "normal" parts.

How do you figure less maintenance?  About the only thing I can think of is no motor oil change.

What makes you think that an electric motor is unlikely to need work or maintenance done?  Ever hear of brushes or a stator?  Even if batteries are warrantied, what do you do to dispose of them? (lithium, not a conventional battery).

I'll stick with my gas-using F-150 and my diesel-using F-250.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-04-2019, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 08:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Why do you think a normal mechanic couldn't fix it? Maybe not the electric motor or battery, the former being unlikely to need work at all and the latter being warrantied for a very long time. The rest of the stuff like brakes and suspension are probably using "normal" parts.

How do you figure less maintenance?  About the only thing I can think of is no motor oil change.

What makes you think that an electric motor is unlikely to need work or maintenance done?  Ever hear of brushes or a stator?  Even if batteries are warrantied, what do you do to dispose of them? (lithium, not a conventional battery).

The entire drive train for one. Clutch, transmission, drive shaft, differential, half shafts, bearings to hold it all. None of these are present on an EV. And that's not going into all the components an ICE has like con rods (and their own bearings), piston rings, crankshaft, camshaft(s), valves and valve springs, timing gears and chains. I can keep going here. 

Sure there's wiring going from the batteries to the motors, but that is largely static as opposed to all the components I just mentioned which are constantly moving, rotating, and rubbing against each other.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 08:13 PM by Jags.)

Can’t put dual exhaust on it?!?!?   Haven’t you heard of Amazon Echo Dots?  Mount two of those bad boys on the back and say “Alexa, go vroom vroom!”

Having said that, dual exhaust is for high schoolers with little wing dings that think being loud and obnoxious makes the cool.  Half the ones I hear sound like absolute dog [BLEEP].  And before Im labelled, I drive a lifted truck.  Now, you’ve got an old muscle car... let ‘er purr.  

But electric car owners should think of my patented Alexa dual exhaust.  I’m selling it for 350.00.

(12-04-2019, 08:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Why do you think a normal mechanic couldn't fix it? Maybe not the electric motor or battery, the former being unlikely to need work at all and the latter being warrantied for a very long time. The rest of the stuff like brakes and suspension are probably using "normal" parts.

(12-04-2019, 06:46 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: How do you figure less maintenance?  About the only thing I can think of is no motor oil change.

The entire drive train for one. Clutch, transmission, drive shaft, differential, half shafts, bearings to hold it all. None of these are present on an EV. And that's not going into all the components an ICE has like con rods (and their own bearings), piston rings, crankshaft, camshaft(s), valves and valve springs, timing gears and chains. I can keep going here. 

Sure there's wiring going from the batteries to the motors, but that is largely static as opposed to all the components I just mentioned which are constantly moving, rotating, and rubbing against each other.

You're talking about major repair things there for the most part, and they are reality,the but ICE vehicles also need a lot of scheduled things over time, too.

Things like sparkplugs, wires, hoses, filters, belts, and fluids, and those are just the normal consumables you're expected to change multiple times over the first ten or so years. There are also sensors that commonly go bad, water pump that needs to be changed with the timing belt, a clutch if you drive a manual transmission car, and other various and sundry parts that aren't considered consumable but aren't uncommon to fail in a hundred thousand+ miles of driving. ICE engines are an accolade to modern engineering, but EVs are superior in every way. I expect someone will come along and dispute that by claiming to need to drive hundreds of miles pulling a boat every day, but even if such a need really exists, it says nothing about the superiority of the tech from all normal use case standpoints.

In an electric car you still have things like brakes to change if you drive poorly, truck a lot less often if you drive well, and maybe coolants eventually, but the amount of regular maintenance for an electric car is much lower than for an ICE vehicle.

I expect a lot of people will want to keep wasting thousands of dollars a year on ICE trucks for a while, but they'll all eventually either switch or die off.

I have an 8 mile round trip to work and would love to drive an EV. However, the cost of an additional car isn’t justifiable because I won’t give up my ICE vehicle in the event I need to drive extended distances.
Another concern of mine is range and AC operation in the summer time. Does the AC in an EV still operate when the car is at a stop, and how does it affect range?

(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have an 8 mile round trip to work and would love to drive an EV. However, the cost of an additional car isn’t justifiable because I won’t give up my ICE vehicle in the event I need to drive extended distances.
Another concern of mine is range and AC operation in the summer time. Does the AC in an EV still operate when the car is at a stop, and how does it affect range?

Yes, the AC works whenever you want it to, you can even have it turn on when you're heading to your car so it's cool when you reach it. (If you drive a Tesla)

It does, also, reduce range, much the way using AC in an ICE vehicle also reduces range.

As for the rest, if you mean needing to drive 300+ miles in an emergency situation then that would be an annoyance with an EV since you would need to take a little longer to charge than to refuel with gas, but if it's not an emergency and you really think you don't want to put up with charging after every few hours on the highway then you can always rent a gas car or take mass transit.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 01:02 PM by mikesez.)

I am pretty sure that the type of motors used in Tesla's and other plug-in vehicles have neither brushes nor a stator.
I am pretty sure that the whole thing is controlled by semiconductors. 
Semiconductors can deteriorate and break under heavy use, and they would probably be very expensive to replace. But they could also be rated to last longer than any other part of the car.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-05-2019, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I have an 8 mile round trip to work and would love to drive an EV. However, the cost of an additional car isn’t justifiable because I won’t give up my ICE vehicle in the event I need to drive extended distances.

I reached a similar conclusion with a former colleague of mine when EV's where first starting to take off. He's retired now but at the time he'd commute to work 30 minutes each way and in the weekend he'd go hiking and drive to a different trailhead each time, a round trip of 300 kms max. For 95% of his trips an EV would have done fine, except every summer he'd hitch a caravan to the back of his car and drive to the South of France with his wife. EV's couldn't do that (still can't really), so instead he drove a Volvo station diesel.

EV's are great cars and are perfectly acceptable for a large part of the trips made, but that 5% of the trips they can't make is still going to make people buy ICE driven cars. Unless of course, you're lucky enough to afford two cars, one EV and one ICE.

An electric vehicle makes no sense for my personal use.

My "daily driver" is a Ford F-150.  I use it not only for daily commutes to and from work, but also to drive out to my property which is about 45 miles away.  Sometimes I have to hitch a trailer to it whether it's my boat or my flatbed trailer to haul materials/supplies.  My property is in a very rural place with no "charging stations" available for miles (and I'm not going to put one there).

My F-250 is diesel powered and I use it not only to haul agricultural equipment (tow trailers with tractors on them) but also livestock trailers.  Load up a few horses or cows in a trailer and pull it with an EV and see how far you get with no power station available.  Then see how far you get in a diesel powered truck.

Regarding maintenance and breakdowns, if you live in the city perhaps it's readily available.  In a rural area if it breaks, you have to fix it it.  I can get either of my trucks or any of my tractors going using common hand tools, readily available parts and common sense.

The whole tesla truck is being brought to market by some urban dweller that has never had a need for a truck in his life and doesn't understand how they are used outside the urban environment.  The only buyers of such a thing would be "posers" that drive trucks more as a "status symbol" that would only haul groceries in it (provided there is a mat to protect the paint in the bed).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.