Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The jags should have known what they were getting in Foles and never paid him.

(12-02-2019, 02:30 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Foles for me was an off brand. I think he signed at the right price and offered what should have been more stable QB play than Bortles. We couldn’t afford a better QB. 

I agree with the sentiments that OL play has gone down across the board in the NFL especially with all the holding calls..and with it, so has a lot of the pocket passers success. The most successful teams have a mobile qb that extend plays negating some of the ineffectiveness of the olines.

I don’t think our offensive lines sucks, I think the coaching of it sucks. Too much inconsistency from players that have proven to be consistent on other teams be that NFL or college.

The price tag for Foles didnt bother me.  Still doesnt.  Free agency is a terrible place to try to find a deal.  Especially a guy who was a Super Bowl MVP and had just finished leading his team on another improbable playoff run.  We talked about for the last two years how our biggest weakness was at QB so the team signed Foles to essentially a two year deal with the hope we had another year or two of great defensive play.  They took a gamble and I can't blame them.  But that gamble didnt pay off.  Not just because Foles isnt what they hoped/thought but also because the rest of the team has all of sudden turned into a turd.  The defense isn't close to what they were two years ago and our offensive line stinks.  You dont sign Foles to elevate a team with no offensive line and a lousy defense.  You sign Foles to a team that has a bunch of the other pieces and is missing a QB.  Clearly we aren't that anymore.  Our window closed faster than the team hoped.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-02-2019, 04:10 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:30 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Foles for me was an off brand. I think he signed at the right price and offered what should have been more stable QB play than Bortles. We couldn’t afford a better QB. 

I agree with the sentiments that OL play has gone down across the board in the NFL especially with all the holding calls..and with it, so has a lot of the pocket passers success. The most successful teams have a mobile qb that extend plays negating some of the ineffectiveness of the olines.

I don’t think our offensive lines sucks, I think the coaching of it sucks. Too much inconsistency from players that have proven to be consistent on other teams be that NFL or college.

The price tag for Foles didnt bother me.  Still doesnt.  Free agency is a terrible place to try to find a deal.  Especially a guy who was a Super Bowl MVP and had just finished leading his team on another improbable playoff run.  We talked about for the last two years how our biggest weakness was at QB so the team signed Foles to essentially a two year deal with the hope we had another year or two of great defensive play.  They took a gamble and I can't blame them.  But that gamble didnt pay off.  Not just because Foles isnt what they hoped/thought but also because the rest of the team has all of sudden turned into a turd.  The defense isn't close to what they were two years ago and our offensive line stinks.  You dont sign Foles to elevate a team with no offensive line and a lousy defense.  You sign Foles to a team that has a bunch of the other pieces and is missing a QB.  Clearly we aren't that anymore.  Our window closed faster than the team hoped.
The gamble should have been taken a year earlier on Cousins.

(12-02-2019, 05:07 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 04:10 PM)rfc17 Wrote: The price tag for Foles didnt bother me.  Still doesnt.  Free agency is a terrible place to try to find a deal.  Especially a guy who was a Super Bowl MVP and had just finished leading his team on another improbable playoff run.  We talked about for the last two years how our biggest weakness was at QB so the team signed Foles to essentially a two year deal with the hope we had another year or two of great defensive play.  They took a gamble and I can't blame them.  But that gamble didnt pay off.  Not just because Foles isnt what they hoped/thought but also because the rest of the team has all of sudden turned into a turd.  The defense isn't close to what they were two years ago and our offensive line stinks.  You dont sign Foles to elevate a team with no offensive line and a lousy defense.  You sign Foles to a team that has a bunch of the other pieces and is missing a QB.  Clearly we aren't that anymore.  Our window closed faster than the team hoped.
The gamble should have been taken a year earlier on Cousins.

This. Cousins is now in MVP conversations, even though we all know its Jackson's award... Another QB we had a chance to draft. Not going to lie, I didn't want the guy, but what he has done this year is undeniably elite among dual threat QBs. How long he can do that is to be determined, but he has certainly had a remarkable 2019 campaign. 

The fact we gave Foles 88m when there were NO other credible suitors for him is pretty damning on the front office. Yes, you overpay for FA's, but only the ones in demand. Foles wasn't really a high priority signing for anyone but us. As soon as the numbers broke on the deal, everyone criticized the deal.