Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jaguars sticking with Nick Foles over Gardner Minshew

I'm not saying the Jags would have won with Minshew but the only time they got blown out was a game in London. 7 point loss to the Saints, 7 point loss to the Panthers and a 1 point loss to the Texans.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 12:09 PM by RedRooster28.)

To be expected. Who cares at this point. No need to risk Minshew behind our shameful line, let him sit and study. Let him watch how Foles leads so he can take whatever he wants to add to his repertoire or decide whatever he wants to do differently.

Hell, maybe he can set aside a week or so to learn our entire defensive scheme and explain it to our players.

(11-25-2019, 12:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm not saying the Jags would have won with Minshew but the only time they got blown out was a game in London. 7 point loss to the Saints, 7 point loss to the Panthers and a 1 point loss to the Texans.

That’s a very good counter point, still don’t think it really matters who starts going forward this year, but it’s something I’ll keep logged in the ol noggin.  Really hope Minshew pans out man.

Minshew has a ton of potential but there's a lot of revisionism going on to say he was playing great, especially the last couple of games. Playing him Sunday would not have changed the outcome. Foles is in an unfortunate circumstance coming off the injury, not having played much to a team that looks amazingly amateurish on defense. Most people understand that he wasn't a great QB but not many QBs play defense effectively. In fact, none of them do.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-25-2019, 11:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: They stopped him in the first half.

Just saying.

And then they got all tired out at the BEGINNING OF THE THIRD QUARTER?

That must have been some halftime.  What were they doing?  Shots of Yager Meister?

Foles went 3 and out to start the quarter so they all forgot their assignments and how to tackle?

The Titans got the ball to start the 2nd half and used FOUR PLAYS to get a TD.  So the Jags go 3 and out, and THAT'S the reason the defense gave up a 1-play touchdown drive?  They were so EXHAUSTED from that FOUR PLAY DRIVE that they couldn't play any more defense?

Lol

(11-25-2019, 11:42 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:41 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You think they would have stopped Henry if they had had a little more rest?  That's laughable.

They stopped him in the first half.

Just saying.

The Titans made the adjustment to get Henry 1 v 1 and guys were making business decisions.  Henry was hitting lanes at almost full speed.  The defense never recovered from the first big run.  They did great in the first half, but once that adjustment was made by TN they were not going to stop Henry even with rest.  It's not like the first big run by Henry was because the defense was gassed.  It was because Wash was gambling all first half with the fronts and he kept gambling and guys started missing tackles because instead of having more than one guy get to Henry before he could get started, the Titans made an adjustment that left Henry 1 v 1 and if he gets through that tackle it was a curtain call.

I think they'll give him this game and that's it. He'll have to ball out against Tampa Bay at home and win it to keep his job for this year. If they fall to 4 - 8 it gives them an excuse to say that Foles wasn't ready after that injury back in week one, they made a decision to press him out there and it didn't work out as hoped. They'll then let Minshew play out the last four games in order to preserve Foles for 2020.

If they're that concerned with the $88M investment they should truly shut him down. That's what this current front office and coaching staff should be thinking if they truly feel they'll be here next year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think Minshew should start at least a game or two as the season winds down. Frankly, I would have put him in at the half against the titans, but I’m glad that he didn’t have to go out there these past two games. I am sure seeing the team get smoked without him in there gave him some much needed perspective and confidence following the London game. I was in the stands at the titans game, and all the titans fans were saying they were glad minshew wasn’t playing.

(11-25-2019, 12:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think they'll give him this game and that's it. He'll have to ball out against Tampa Bay at home and win it to keep his job for this year. If they fall to 4 - 8 it gives them an excuse to say that Foles wasn't ready after that injury back in week one, they made a decision to press him out there and it didn't work out as hoped. They'll then let Minshew play out the last four games in order to preserve Foles for 2020.

If they're that concerned with the $88M investment they should truly shut him down. That's what this current front office and coaching staff should be thinking if they truly feel they'll be here next year.

Minshew is done for the year.  Its no point in playing him and i'd rather keep losing with Foles at this point for better draft position.  Yea it would be nice to win games but since we are basically eliminated from playoff position, i don't want to win just for the sake of messing up our draft spot like we have so many times before.   I hope the Rams lose tonight so we can hopefully have a top 10 and a top 15 draft pick this year.  New staff can draft some talent to help us out and hopefully know how to coach up said talent.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Problem isn't QB it is coaching and game planning and then execution on lousy game plans. Defense is designed to play with a lead because only the DLine is effective. Linebackers are meh and the secondary is one guy with mediocre play at the other positions.

How are you going to win when a penalty and a sack are the end of your first half production? Screens work when the team is pinning back and over pursuing. We ran a screen against a stacked line where they were pressing the WRs and maintaining their assignments. We have light and thin WRs and they were expecting them to make people miss and/or truck their way to first downs. When we do execute, we get BS flags on phantom holding. On defense when we have a decent showing the opposing team can hold and pull the player out of the play with no penalty.

Building teams you know build on their success and improve down the stretch (see improved play by Miami and Jets as an example). Hopeless teams like ours fizzle and sputter but do enough to have no chance at top draft choices.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

By all means, keep trotting Foles out. I figure that by the time the Colts game comes around, my family will have a section of two or three hundred seats to ourselves and our own personal concession stand waiter.

I think it's hard for some to put their "6th round pick" draft bias aside and objectively see that Minshew was/is special. He's outplayed easily the other rookie QBs drafted much earlier than him this year and only would've gotten better with more game time. Some people can't see past draft position.

I think they're playing with fire by continuing to stick with Foles for a a number of reasons. Besides him being clearly rusty and out of sync with the offense. He's been taking some licks back there in the pocket. And it's only a matter of time before he gets popped again and lands up on IR. I cringe every time he drops back now. It's really a matter of when for me at this point. Not even a matter of if.

My concern with that is how it'll effect the beginning of next season if he's trying to work through yet another significant injury. This limits your coaching staff, whether new or current, for the 2020 campaign. My other issue is because of him being out of rhythm and sync with his receivers he's already shown a tendency twice now since he's been back to hang his receivers out to dry.

So, not only is he at risk during the play-off hunt where teams get more aggressive across the board, he's also putting your receivers at risk for going into 2020. And there's no good damn reason at all to keep him in the line-up if they fall to 4 - 8. The season was over after the London game. You saw it in the play calling. It's only been downhill since and there's no momentum to keep it going.

As far as getting a higher draft position? I don't like that idea. This team historically blunders roughly 75% - 85% of their top ten selections. And even when they do manage to hit on it they manage to say or do something wrong that ends up costing them that player anyway. If Khan publicly came out after this home game and decided to fire Marrone and Caldwell I would be more apt to lean towards "losing" for higher capital in the draft. Because it would at least give us some sense of hope that it would be a new person in charge calling the shots.

I also still remain with my stance on getting Tom Coughlin out of the building. He's a football coach. Not a personnel man. He never was. His problem in Jacksonville was because of his inability to be effective as a coach and general manager or role player with the personnel decisions. They hired him in New York to strictly coach. And he excelled at that. He's not Bill Belichick. He's not Bill Parcells. He can't do it all.

I love Tom. I always will respect what he did for this city and team from the beginning since I was a little boy at the age of 7 when he first got this team rolling. He's awesome. He'll forever be cemented in Jacksonville's history for all of that. But he's past his prime. And he needs to focus on being a husband, father and grandfather now. And I say that with nothing but the highest amount of respect.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-25-2019, 11:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:19 AM)JagJohn Wrote: It's probably fair to say that the results of the last few games wouldn't have been any different with Minshew starting.
No. That's actually not fair.

Have you seen some of Foles throws? He has zero velocity, throws into double coverage and seems to check down way too often. Minshew could scramble, make plays with his legs and always kept his eyes down field.

Don't get me wrong, I'm massively looking forward to the time when Minshew becomes starter again. But we have just allowed 200+ yards on the ground in consecutive 20+ point losses to our three division rivals. To think Minshew would have changed anything about that is a stretch at best.

https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...30208?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-25-2019, 03:17 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...30208?s=21

There it is. He's setting it up. If they lose to Tampa this weekend and fall to 4 - 8 he's shutting down Foles. Watch.

(11-25-2019, 03:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:17 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...30208?s=21

There it is. He's setting it up. If they lose to Tampa this weekend and fall to 4 - 8 he's shutting down Foles. Watch.
And if that's the case, he should just be starting Minshew anyway.

Marrone just said that he's playing Foles because he gives them the best chance to win. So now, if Foles loses next week, Minshew has become better in 1 week of practice. Just awful.

Ive never seen Minshew underthrow or overthrow as many passes as Foles has in just two games. Sure, Minshew got jittery a few times, but Foles is panicking just as often. Except he doesn’t have the mobility to get him out of trouble. In no way is Foles the best option available.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 03:33 PM by Caldrac.)

(11-25-2019, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote: There it is. He's setting it up. If they lose to Tampa this weekend and fall to 4 - 8 he's shutting down Foles. Watch.
And if that's the case, he should just be starting Minshew anyway.

Marrone just said that he's playing Foles because he gives them the best chance to win. So now, if Foles loses next week, Minshew has become better in 1 week of practice. Just awful.

Bad coaching. Par for the course my friend. Marrone is an oaf. Defensively they need to turn it around quickly. I honestly would like to see this defense get after Winston who can be pretty flaky on a weekly basis with his decision making.

Only to see that Foles will undoubtedly struggle behind this offensive line due to his inability to move with his feet and the continued rust and lack of arm strength he's displayed over the last two weeks of football. They'll fall short. Bouye said 20 points should be enough to win a game. I agree. They'll score 13 in a tight loss to the Buccaneers when they score 17.

Then it'll put all of the doubt and BS to rest about who was this and who was that. Tired of seeing that [BLEEP] dribble out of Marrone's mouth.

(11-25-2019, 03:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:21 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: No. That's actually not fair.

Have you seen some of Foles throws? He has zero velocity, throws into double coverage and seems to check down way too often. Minshew could scramble, make plays with his legs and always kept his eyes down field.

Don't get me wrong, I'm massively looking forward to the time when Minshew becomes starter again. But we have just allowed 200+ yards on the ground in consecutive 20+ point losses to our three division rivals. To think Minshew would have changed anything about that is a stretch at best.

They defense was essentially the same vs Carolina and the team was in that game a lot longer than this past Sunday.

(11-25-2019, 05:03 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:10 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm massively looking forward to the time when Minshew becomes starter again. But we have just allowed 200+ yards on the ground in consecutive 20+ point losses to our three division rivals. To think Minshew would have changed anything about that is a stretch at best.

They defense was essentially the same vs Carolina and the team was in that game a lot longer than this past Sunday.

I don't see how playing Minshew can make the defensive line stronger, or make the linebackers tackle better, or make the front 7 on defense get off of blocks and make plays, or stop the defensive backs from losing track of receivers and blowing coverages.  

And besides, wasn't Minshew the starter in London against the Texans, and didn't the defense give up 200 yards on the ground to the Texans?  There's no connection between who is the QB and how the defense is playing, because the defensive problems we are having started while Minshew was still the starter.

Let the season die people. I'm not enjoying the stupid decisions by this FO and staff; but i am enjoying the draft spot we are getting. If we are making the playoffs then wake me. If not, clean the yard or house or something
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.