Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is what happens when you raise the minimum wage

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/27/783036724...serve-taps

"...customer after customer strode up to a stainless steel wall lined with beer taps to insert a card, touch a screen and pour a glass of self-serve beer.  No waitstaff. No waiting."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The robot tax is going to he an interesting subject in the American history books in 50 years if they are still teaching it.

Low unemployment implies that the supply and demand for labor are in balance and significantly above minimum wage.

So it is just market forces, not government, driving this type of automation.

Anyone here ever tried a beer wall? I would be willing to try.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2019, 05:10 PM by Jagwired.)

I'm getting one of those for my man cave.

Edit: I have bought many of beer from Flo. She's hot in a robot sort of way.

https://twitter.com/frntofficesport/stat...61?lang=en
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

They put self check out in Publix. We've reached the tipping point now, low skill workers are going to be forced to vote to eat.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-27-2019, 08:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: They put self check out in Publix. We've reached the tipping point now,  low skill workers are going to be forced to vote to eat.

So I guess taking a college summer job at Publix for the sole purpose of hooking up with the cashier's is a thing of the past?

(11-27-2019, 08:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: They put self check out in Publix. We've reached the tipping point now,  low skill workers are going to be forced to vote to eat.

I personally won't use self check out at Publix.

I use it at Wal-Mart because all their employees are rude and slow. Publix employees are much different.

(11-28-2019, 09:11 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

I use it at Wal-Mart because all their employees are rude and slow. Publix employees are much different.

That's why it bugs me I think. Publix is a customer service oriented store and the young and disabled people they hire for starting wages learn important lessons about how to succeed using quality work and manners. Now we are going to see fewer people with that opportunity.

(11-28-2019, 01:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

So I guess taking a college summer job at Publix for the sole purpose of hooking up with the cashier's is a thing of the past?

Hey, we'll always have our memories. Until the dementia sets in anyway.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I used it yesterday. It was weird.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 10:27 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think the tipping point was at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.  A long time ago.

The ironic thing is, the more we try to protect these low skilled workers, the more expensive it becomes to employ them, and the more likely it is their jobs will be reduced or eliminated.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 10:59 AM by mikesez.)

(11-28-2019, 09:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 09:11 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I personally won't use self check out at Publix.

That's why it bugs me I think. Publix is a customer service oriented store and the young and disabled people they hire for starting wages learn important lessons about how to succeed using quality work and manners. Now we are going to see fewer people with that opportunity.

I completely agree.
My Publix doesn't have self-checkout and I hope it stays that way

(11-28-2019, 01:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

You and I have more in common than what may have appeared at first. 
But I wouldn't worry. 16 year old boys and girls are crafty. They will find other ways to talk to each other.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 11:02 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(11-28-2019, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 09:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That's why it bugs me I think. Publix is a customer service oriented store and the young and disabled people they hire for starting wages learn important lessons about how to succeed using quality work and manners. Now we are going to see fewer people with that opportunity.

I completely agree.

(11-28-2019, 01:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So I guess taking a college summer job at Publix for the sole purpose of hooking up with the cashier's is a thing of the past?

But I wouldn't worry. 16 year old boys and girls are crafty. They will find other ways to talk to each other.

Aren't you one of the people pushing a $15 minimum wage? 

This is the result of companies getting out in front of dangerous politicians.  Self-checkout IS coming soon to YOUR Publix.

On the job front, working at Publix was a very memorable part of my life.

Same here. I actually enjoy checking out at Publix. They always look out for you too if you suck at math while you're in a hurry. It was buy two, get two free on canned soda the other day. I thought it was buy two, get one. Cashier hooked me up on the deal. I also appreciate the fact that Publix doesn't seem to shy away from hiring people that may have a disability or "quirk" about them. People are people no matter how they appear on the outside. 

I hate Wal-Mart to the core. Low prices be damned. It's not worth the crowds and employees there. I agree with you on that 110%. I work in customer service for a living. It really does make a difference to me with how companies treat their employees and how those very same employees treat their patrons and customers. 

I'll go to a different fast food joint of the same chain 10 - 15 minutes out of my way despite one of their locations being right down the street 5 minutes away if I know for a fact that I'll get serviced quickly, politely & accurately. Doesn't bother me one bit.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 11:13 AM by mikesez.)

(11-28-2019, 11:01 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: I completely agree.

Aren't you one of the people pushing a $15 minimum wage? 

This is the result of companies getting out in front of dangerous politicians.  Self-checkout IS coming soon to YOUR Publix.

I am not pushing for $15 at all.  I may have said it's not a big deal either way. I always found the argument that "minimum wage times 40 hours per week should be enough for someone to rent a room for themselves" to be specious.

(11-28-2019, 11:11 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 11:01 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Aren't you one of the people pushing a $15 minimum wage? 

I am not pushing for $15 at all.  I may have said it's not a big deal either way. I always found the argument that "minimum wage times 40 hours per week should be enough for someone to rent a room for themselves" to be specious.

If you're making minimum wage you can't afford to live on your own.

(11-28-2019, 11:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 11:11 AM)mikesez Wrote: I am not pushing for $15 at all.  I may have said it's not a big deal either way. I always found the argument that "minimum wage times 40 hours per week should be enough for someone to rent a room for themselves" to be specious.

If you're making minimum wage you can't afford to live on your own.

Not everyone is supposed to live "on their own." Most people aren't.  That's the fallacy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-28-2019, 12:07 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 11:33 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If you're making minimum wage you can't afford to live on your own.

Not everyone is supposed to live "on their own." Most people aren't.  That's the fallacy.

Right.

When minimum wage goes up, we all pay for it when buying consumer goods. When wages go up, so do prices. It's a vicious circle. Companies are gonna try and recoup that money any way they can.

(11-28-2019, 12:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: When minimum wage goes up, we all pay for it when buying consumer goods. When wages go up, so do prices. It's a vicious circle. Companies are gonna try and recoup that money any way they can.

The government should just instill price caps to keep that from happening! - Liawatha Warren