Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is what happens when you raise the minimum wage

(11-28-2019, 10:05 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It was a general response to what I've seen in my 47 years. I tend to see things from more than just my personal POV and experience. Not making excuses for anyone, just relating the circumstances I've observed. 

So sorry you took it so personally.
Nothing personal. Most people speak from their own experiences. I was at work. Slow day. Had a lot of time to kill earlier.

Getting up at 400 to work from 500 to 500 on a Holiday can bring out the inner grump in me. I hate being "lumped" into groups too. I am 31. But I don't feel like a "millenial" if that makes sense.

I just grew up in a working class family that barely scraped by half the time and I watched a lot of people along the way squander premium starting points in life.

It's hard to feel bad for John's and Jane's on the nicer side of town when their mom or dad didn't get them a brand new Mercedes but they got a relatively brand new Lincoln.

Meanwhile I am over here with a 1994 Volvo I bought for a $100 and had to figure out where the [BLEEP] the oil leaks were coming from and all that other fun stuff that comes with being a lot lower on the totem pole.

I don't resent it. In fact. Looking back on it I am more greatful than I cared to admit then.

Regardless. Sorry for being a dick head earlier. Time to eat some banana pudding and call it a night.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is true but the older I've become and the more exposure I have to a variety of socioeconomic groups the more I see that people and their circumstances dictate a lot in their lives. It doesn't mean I agree or disagree, it just is. 

My dad was a mechanic (Nimnicht Chevrolet on Cassat Ave for the win!), my mom was a nurse but became a stay-at-home mom when she and my stepdad got married and went from two kids to five. Stepdad was a UPS driver. Seven people in the house on one income we never owned a new house, new car, new washing machine and used a clothesline to dry clothes. We wore second hand clothing. We were disciplined when necessary, taught to be respectful of people, especially our elders, and had to do chores around the house with no financial incentives. 

I've only been given one thing in my life and that is my now 17 year old Silverado by my dad 10 years ago after my grandfather passed away and dad received money from his estate. Dad paid off the truck as a gift from my grandfather. I will drive that truck until the wheels fall off. 

So yeah, I don't come from anything much either but I have a good life and an thankful for every single thing I have. 

Apology accepted for being a dick head. We all have those moments.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is what happens when you raise the minimum wage - by americus 2.0 - 11-29-2019, 01:05 AM