Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Minshew Mania is back

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 05:44 PM by Kane.)

(12-04-2019, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 04:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Minsheew not the long term answer and not a franchise NFL QB.    Just a rah rah high body language guy that acts like he's good and doing something out there but really he isn't.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28212390

He's an idiot. His reasoning is because Minshew is "limited" physically. That's stupid because it isn't supported by what we see during games.

Tim knows all about being limited.

Dude was a dud in the NFL and he's pretty much a dud as an analyst.

I wanna know what our future GM Louis Riddick things of Minshew

EDIT:
Daniel Jeremiah, whose analysis I've always liked, said he's a poor mans Baker Mayfield, for what it's worth
https://247sports.com/college/washington...129478276/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-04-2019, 05:42 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: He's an idiot. His reasoning is because Minshew is "limited" physically. That's stupid because it isn't supported by what we see during games.

Tim knows all about being limited.

Dude was a dud in the NFL and he's pretty much a dud as an analyst.

I wanna know what our future GM Louis Riddick things of Minshew

EDIT:
Daniel Jeremiah, whose analysis  I've always liked, said he's a poor mans Baker Mayfield, for what it's worth
https://247sports.com/college/washington...129478276/

That's exactly how I see him. Same fire, way less money!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

"A poor man's Mayfield" who's clearly outplaying Mayfield and every other rookie QB in the league while being at the helm of the leakiest and most rickety ship with the worst crew on board.

These National Media clowns don't watch our games. I'm not sure that most of the Minshew critics on this board watch our games either.

It's clearly a case of draft position bias, because it sure isn't about what's he's done on the field.

(12-04-2019, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 04:51 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Minsheew not the long term answer and not a franchise NFL QB.    Just a rah rah high body language guy that acts like he's good and doing something out there but really he isn't.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28212390

He's an idiot. His reasoning is because Minshew is "limited" physically. That's stupid because it isn't supported by what we see during games.

Drew Brees is "limited physically". Didn't seem to hold him back.

It's all about mastering your strengths.

Brees mastered his strengths which were reading defenses, timing and ball placement. He will go down as one of the all time greats.

A football player is a football player. It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

As long as you're good at what you do. And you're winning. And you can win the crowd. Win over your teammates and coaches?

You'll be loved and respected. I really hope this kid gets a fair chance next year. It's a good story already.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-04-2019, 09:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: A football player is a football player. It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

As long as you're good at what you do. And you're winning. And you can win the crowd. Win over your teammates and coaches?

You'll be loved and respected. I really hope this kid gets a fair chance next year. It's a good story already.

You dang right big son!

Size don’t matter. Minshew is everything Mayfield was supposed to be.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 10:44 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(12-04-2019, 10:21 PM)Eric1 Wrote:  

I don't hate that approach, but you certainly wouldn't pull that with someone you didn't anticipate putting back in the line-up, and you definitely don't do it with someone struggling as much as Foles. He needed those reps. I'm wondering if Marrone didn't intend to rush Foles back so quickly, and instead, someone above him gave the orders. It would explain why Marrone said he would take the bye-week to decide on the starter but came out with the new depth chart after a day or two.

(12-04-2019, 10:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

I don't hate that approach, but you certainly wouldn't pull that with someone you didn't anticipate putting back in the line-up, and you definitely don't do it with someone struggling as much as Foles. He needed those reps. I'm wondering if Marrone didn't intend to rush Foles back so quickly, and instead, someone above him gave the orders. It would explain why Marrone said he would take the bye-week to decide on the starter but came out with the new depth chart after a day or two.
Maybe. Maybe not. Can easily be spun into a precaution being taken since Foles was previously on short term IR and the fact that he did need to improve in those areas in the event Foles went down due to injury again.

A level of that decision would have been leaked by now. Especially after the outcome and last three weeks of performances on offense with Foles in command.

And if it's true though. Meaning Coughlin forced Foles into the line up and forced Marrone to deal with that situation. The whole off season is [BLEEP].

It's all speculation until someone owns up to it.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 12:43 AM by Predator.)

(12-04-2019, 10:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

Announcing the starter that early isn't Coughlin's style. He was a guy that used to draw the league's ire for exaggerating injuries on the injury report so opponents wouldn't know who was playing until game day.

This has Marrone's typical mishandling of things all over it.

It would have been set up as a game time decision if Coughlin was controlling the decision.

(12-04-2019, 09:51 PM)Predator Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 05:32 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: He's an idiot. His reasoning is because Minshew is "limited" physically. That's stupid because it isn't supported by what we see during games.

Drew Brees is "limited physically". Didn't seem to hold him back.

It's all about mastering your strengths.

Brees mastered his strengths which were reading defenses, timing and ball placement. He will go down as one of the all time greats.

I like this comparison. I see a lot of Tony Romo/Drew Brees in Minshew. Romo was 6’2, they list Minshew at 6’1 but I’m not so sure he’s not closer to Brees size.

His pocket presence and playmaking ability has Tony Romo written all over it.

I’m very hopeful, and I think it starts this weekend with San Diego as far as evaluation goes; they have a decent defense that shut down the like of Rodgers. If Minshew plays even decent against them it will be a cause for optimism. But honestly I expect a rookie like game. I guess we’ll see. Either way, I hope he’s the future like we think he is; an off-season of training and improvements to the o line should help

My goal is to make it to the end of the game. My disgust level has been so high I've been unable to stay in the stadium until the end, opting to go to the parking lot to eat and drink rather than enduring the entire debacle.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-02-2019, 02:46 PM)Legal American Wrote: I was one of those fans who was extremely excited about Foles.  I didn't know if he'd be the Eagles' Foles or the Rams' Foles but I was thinking either would be an upgrade over Bortles.  I was devastated when he went out with the broken collar bone as we all were.  However, now I'm completely in the frame of mind that Minshew has to be given every opportunity to be the future.  I'm sick of postponing growth and success because of losing money like we did with Bortles' idiotic contract extension, and it feels like this team didn't learn it's lesson because we're probably going to do it again now with Nick Foles. 

The thing that gets me, is if Minshew was drafted in the 1st round and played like he did, we'd all be saying we found our guy.  The only reason no one wants to say that is because we're so concerned that this is all a shocking fluke from a 6th round pick.  We have to throw that mindset out and accept our fortune.  If he crashes and burns, at least we'll know that we gave it a shot and could confidently say he was a fluke.  If we try to justify Foles' contract by forcing the issue and delaying the development of a possible future franchise QB, we're the typical Jaguars yet again. 

The Chiefs took a chance on Mahomes and the Ravens were criticized for drafting an undersized RB in Lamar Jackson who was masquerading as a QB but it sure seems to be working out well for them.  I'm not saying Minshew is as good as either of them, but sometimes it pays off to take a chance and risk something.  This front office is always so scared of looking stupid that they end up looking stupid.  I'm all in on giving this sinking ship to Minshew to see if he can do anything with it.

I was excitied for Foles, until I heard the contract we offered him. Of the other guys on the market last year (Fitz, Tannehill, Keenum, and the likes), he was definitely a more promising option, but not so much to demand the huge deal we paid. The preseason did Minshew little favors, so when Nick went down, I expected the worst, as is my nature.

I disagree that if Minshew were a first rounder we'd all be dancing in the streets. He's not perfect. He gets flushed out of the pocket, whether that's by design, or not. He fumbles, which can be a symptom of pass rush getting through the line more than carelessness. He is a fighter. The team rallies behind him. There may be better out there, but he may also be good enough to be a long-term fixture at the position. That we managed to find someone of his caliber in the 6th, and not a repeat of the Tanner Lee type of talent usually found in those rounds is what should have us dancing.

I have no idea where you got your news about the Ravens' pick, everyone I heard lauded the move. They praised Ozzie Newsome for one last smart move before he ended his tenure. Flacco was aging, and the team needed to look for a potential replacement. Moving up to 32 gave them the luxury of an extra year to figure out whether he was their guy or not, without rushing him into the starting lineup, and so far it looks to have paid off.

(12-05-2019, 09:06 AM)Rico Wrote: My goal is to make it to the end of the game.  My disgust level has been so high I've been unable to stay in the stadium until the end, opting to go to the parking lot to eat and drink rather than enduring the entire debacle.

This is a reasonable goal.  I've already written off the rest of this year.  If we are at least COMPETITIVE the entire game, it will go a long way towards possible established Minshew as a contender for starter next year.  If the kid winds up with 3300-3500 yards passing, 20-22 TDs and less than 10 picks?  That's one of the best seasons we've had QB'ing around here in a WHILE.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(12-04-2019, 10:53 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 10:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I don't hate that approach, but you certainly wouldn't pull that with someone you didn't anticipate putting back in the line-up, and you definitely don't do it with someone struggling as much as Foles. He needed those reps. I'm wondering if Marrone didn't intend to rush Foles back so quickly, and instead, someone above him gave the orders. It would explain why Marrone said he would take the bye-week to decide on the starter but came out with the new depth chart after a day or two.
Maybe. Maybe not. Can easily be spun into a precaution being taken since Foles was previously on short term IR and the fact that he did need to improve in those areas in the event Foles went down due to injury again.

A level of that decision would have been leaked by now. Especially after the outcome and last three weeks of performances on offense with Foles in command.

And if it's true though. Meaning Coughlin forced Foles into the line up and forced Marrone to deal with that situation. The whole off season is [BLEEP].

It's all speculation until someone owns up to it.

I don't think so.

I bet Teddy Bridgewater gets zero snaps with the 1's during practice. You want to give your starter as many reps as possible to be fully prepared. Giving them away to Minshew just means he didn't fully have faith in Foles.

(12-02-2019, 09:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Gabbert and Bortles were bad no matter what.

If Tua or Burrow are on the clock when the Jags pick, they should pull the trigger.

If Burrow is on the board when we pick, either he lost a leg in the SECCG or their bowl game, 31 other franchises have suddenly vaporized, or we are now proud owners of the entirety of the 2021 NFL Draft

I look at the RGIII deal as  a baseline. Give me all the dang picks, and we'll keep cycling multiple picks every year and build a behemoth.

(12-05-2019, 09:58 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 09:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Gabbert and Bortles were bad no matter what.

If Tua or Burrow are on the clock when the Jags pick, they should pull the trigger.

If Burrow is on the board when we pick, either he lost a leg in the SECCG or their bowl game, 31 other franchises have suddenly vaporized, or we are now proud owners of the entirety of the 2021 NFL Draft

I look at the RGIII deal as  a baseline. Give me all the dang picks, and we'll keep cycling multiple picks every year and build a behemoth.
I mean it all depends right? Chiefs and Texans gave up picks to move up and select their QB. I believe the Ravens sent picks to move up for their QB too. It's all about selecting the right QB and pairing him with the right coach.

I think if the Jags pair Tua with the right guy, he can be really really good. Tua and Chark would be awfully good together.

Minshew is back. We gonna win out

I don’t see Burrow as being a big success in the NFL. He’s a good college QB on a good college team, but he just doesn’t pass the eye test to me as a long term starter in the big leagues.