Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happened to Foles?

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 05:36 AM by knarnn.)

(12-05-2019, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:20 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: - His wife suffered miscarriage 5 months ago.
- He suffers broken collarbone in and came back way too soon. Should have stay out the whole season.
- Maybe he was afraid to lose his job with the Minshew thing. He was forcing a lot of throws and you can say that his arm is not as strong as it was in Philly.

Just a whole bad year for him. Maybe with a new coaching staff and a better OL/weapons, he could come back as a starter for us.

That first and third reason are personal issues that should not effect the on the field psyche of an elite athlete. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I've seen players like Brett Favre who lost his father and Kwon Alexander who's brother was murdered, come back the next week, even the next day and have the game of their life. They used the pain as motivation. You either use tragedy as motivation to propel you forward or it will make you fold if you're not mentally strong. In order to succeed in football, you cannot let off the field issues effect your play or it will ruin you. With that said, from a more practical point of view, this team looks nothing like the team Foles had success with in Philadelphia. They had a very strong O-Line, that gave him tons of time to make his reads, they had RB's who were good receivers out of the backfield and set up screens well and they had not one, but two good TE's who were excellent receivers. We don't have any of those things. When we signed Foles, we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. The system we have in place was not designed for him to succeed. To give him a shot to be anything close to what he was in Philadelphia, we're gonna have to make a lot of changes and I just don't see that happening in one year. 

On a somewhat brighter note, I was reading an article on ESPN.com today about where key QB's may end up next season and there was a write up on Foles. They suggested this, Foles $15.1 million base salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed. If he is on the roster 5 days after the start of free agency, a $5 million roster bonus is 2021 becomes guaranteed. That means we'd owe him more than $20 million in additional cash over the next 2 seasons. They suggested we could possibly get Foles to re-structure his contract. We could convert most of that $15.1 million salary into a roster bonus at the start of 2020 and then trade Foles. If Foles were willing to reduce his unguaranteed base salary in 2021, he could end up costing his new team somewhere around $10 million over 2 years. We'd likely have to send a mid round pick a long with him to get a deal done, since we'd essentially be saving $10 million off his contract and we'd still have to eat a substantial amount in dead money, but it would be significantly cheaper than cutting him outright. In any case, I believe what will happen is that he will still be here in 2020, riding the pine behind Minshew and making this team look just as foolish as we did when Bortles was stinking up the place, after signing his new deal.

Not making any excuses for the guy but believe it or not our favorite athletes are humans too. Everyone deals with emotional tragedy differently. There have been plenty of athletes across all sports who took time away from the game to deal with their issues. Mental health is real and oftentimes forgotten. Making such a broad generalization is quite unfair.

One thing I caught during one of Foles recent pressers is he mentioned his grandfather had just passed. He said he would call his grandfather after every game and he was one of his biggest cheerleaders. Imagine having a rough game (or 3) and not being able to talk about it with someone who used to call you after every outing.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2019, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:20 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: - His wife suffered miscarriage 5 months ago.
- He suffers broken collarbone in and came back way too soon. Should have stay out the whole season.
- Maybe he was afraid to lose his job with the Minshew thing. He was forcing a lot of throws and you can say that his arm is not as strong as it was in Philly.

Just a whole bad year for him. Maybe with a new coaching staff and a better OL/weapons, he could come back as a starter for us.

That first and third reason are personal issues that should not effect the on the field psyche of an elite athlete. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I've seen players like Brett Favre who lost his father and Kwon Alexander who's brother was murdered, come back the next week, even the next day and have the game of their life. They used the pain as motivation. You either use tragedy as motivation to propel you forward or it will make you fold if you're not mentally strong. In order to succeed in football, you cannot let off the field issues effect your play or it will ruin you. With that said, from a more practical point of view, this team looks nothing like the team Foles had success with in Philadelphia. They had a very strong O-Line, that gave him tons of time to make his reads, they had RB's who were good receivers out of the backfield and set up screens well and they had not one, but two good TE's who were excellent receivers. We don't have any of those things. When we signed Foles, we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. The system we have in place was not designed for him to succeed. To give him a shot to be anything close to what he was in Philadelphia, we're gonna have to make a lot of changes and I just don't see that happening in one year. 

On a somewhat brighter note, I was reading an article on ESPN.com today about where key QB's may end up next season and there was a write up on Foles. They suggested this, Foles $15.1 million base salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed. If he is on the roster 5 days after the start of free agency, a $5 million roster bonus is 2021 becomes guaranteed. That means we'd owe him more than $20 million in additional cash over the next 2 seasons. They suggested we could possibly get Foles to re-structure his contract. We could convert most of that $15.1 million salary into a roster bonus at the start of 2020 and then trade Foles. If Foles were willing to reduce his unguaranteed base salary in 2021, he could end up costing his new team somewhere around $10 million over 2 years. We'd likely have to send a mid round pick a long with him to get a deal done, since we'd essentially be saving $10 million off his contract and we'd still have to eat a substantial amount in dead money, but it would be significantly cheaper than cutting him outright. In any case, I believe what will happen is that he will still be here in 2020, riding the pine behind Minshew and making this team look just as foolish as we did when Bortles was stinking up the place, after signing his new deal.

Trash take. It'd be quite foolish to presume all athletes deal with tragedy the same way , Foles having a traumatic experience could absolutely impact him very negatively on the field. 

I would say supporting cast and his lack of ability is a bigger reason but I don't think you can discard it just because some other athletes have played well.

(12-05-2019, 12:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have no idea what else may be going on with him but I know three things that must have been factors in those three games. 
  • Not healed enough to be confident under fire or have the same throwing motion/velocity
  • O-Line not buying him (or any QB) enough time frequently
  • Flip not dialing up enough quick hit stuff to get the ball out quickly
I have no clue if he'll bounce back or if this is his new normal, but it's woefully not good enough.

^^This^^

I think the main reason is the offensive line sucks.  He's not a mobile QB, so he needs protection to do what he does well.  They gave him a Pop Warner offensive line, and it cost him half the season on the IR to repair the injury.  I think he was smart enough to recognize that when he came back from the injury that he wasn't going to see any changes in protection, and the Flip basically went pass heavy on the play calling which was completely unfair to Foles.

I don't think we're done with him.  They really need to address that line situation for whoever is calling plays.  But, Minshew has enough escapability to extend plays when the line inevitably fails, so it makes sense he's starting the rest of the seaon...unless they get him injured.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 12:59 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I have not seen this mobile foles that some were confident in.  

Huh

The hell are you talking about? 
Who on Earth ever thought Foles was mobile?

@Did you not see the Philly special?@

(12-06-2019, 10:11 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Huh

What mobility did he demonstrate there?  He snuck out of the backfield on the play and ran about 5 yards uncovered.  Nobody ever thought of Foles as a mobile QB..ever.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-06-2019, 10:13 AM)FBT Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 10:11 AM)Mikey Wrote: @Did you not see the Philly special?@

What mobility did he demonstrate there?  He snuck out of the backfield on the play and ran about 5 yards uncovered.  Nobody ever thought of Foles as a mobile QB..ever.

[sarcasm tags]

foles is overrated. the offenssive line won the super bowl for the eagles. if you rember correcty at least 8 players made the pro-bro from the eagles o-line that year plus 2 great TES, a go to wr,and a super strong defense.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(12-09-2019, 01:26 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: foles is overrated. the offenssive line won the super bowl for the eagles. if you rember correcty  at least 8 players made the pro-bro from the eagles o-line that year plus 2 great TES, a go to wr,and a super strong defense.

8?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(12-06-2019, 10:11 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Huh

Foles being mobile was sarcasm smh.  We need a mobile QB behind this line and due to poor accuracy, the last one is playing for LA.  This FO and some fans here were just desperate for change and now we are stuck with this Foles clown.  No mobility, huge success coming off the bench on a stout team, and 30 yrs of age.  I'm just gearing up for season 2 of desperate Jags wives/fans to see where we go next.

EDIT i like Minshew and think his success was mainly because of his ability to extend plays with his legs. I thought a blind man could see this but you can never believe its that obvious to someone else like it is to you. Just sippin juice, reading the humor around here.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.