Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BULLSEYE'S 6th Annual "THIS WEEK IN THE AFCS" - Week 15

I'm filling in for Bullseye while health issues prevent him from posting.  Bullseye, we all miss you and hope your situation improves.

I want to give a special thanks to Tennessee for saving my bacon this week and keeping me from going 0-4.

Denver @ [font=Arial]Houston[/font] - Recap

Well, I said I'd be surprised if this game was not over before the start of the 4th quarter, which was one of the few correct predictions I made this week.

Is this the biggest upset so far this century?  If anyone disagrees, name one game since 2000 that beats this.  Seriously, I'd love to hear about it.  Here's a good article (with highlights) that sums this beating up:  McClain: Texans’ loss to Broncos an utter embarrassment.  Yes, the Texans actually let a bad team with a rookie quarterback who was making his 2nd start waltz right into Houston and build a 38-3 lead over them halfway through the 3rd quarter.  A week after turning in their best performance of the season against New England, the Texans (8-5) followed that up by turning in the worst performance of their season.  However, I will not blame this loss solely on the Texans.  The execution and play of the Broncos (5-8) in this game was good enough to notch a win against almost any top-tier playoff-bound team in the league.  Drew Lock, a 2nd round choice earlier this year, looks like another Tom Brady in the making.  He had composure, made great reads, and has the "it" factor that every team longs for.  He easily outplayed his counterpart, Watson, and got a huge contribution from the Broncos defense and TE Noah Fant (the Broncos' 1st round choice this year), who led the team with 113 receiving yards.  Good drafting by Denver!  Houston's only desire after this loss was that Oakland would do them a solid later in the day (more on that later).

[font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font] @ [font=Arial][font=Arial]Tampa Bay[/font][/font] - Recap

Indy lost this game on a single play.  Up 35-21 late in the 3rd quarter, the Colts (6-7) appeared to be cruising to a win over the Buccaneers (6-7).  With roughly 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and with the score 35-28 in favor of the Colts, Indianapolis was driving for another score.  It was  a costly lost fumble near the Buccaneer's 10 yard line by Colts RB Nyheim Hines that cost the Colts this game.  Winston was his typical self, throwing for 4 TD and 3 INT.  The game was very entertaining, but also ended the postseason hopes for yet another AFCS team.  

San Diego @ Jacksonville - Recap

Not content with having guaranteed themselves a losing season by halftime, our Jaguars (4-9) saw the wheels come off in the 2nd half as the Chargers (5-8) put on quite a performance in Jacksonville last Sunday.  This 45-10 beating was difficult to watch. No fumbles lost and no interceptions was maybe the only positive in this game.  Well, and the Logan Cooke fake punt.  Still, our longstanding inability to stop the run combined with broken coverages in the secondary let this one get away.  Chargers RB Austin Ekeler put in some good work, gaining 213 total yards (101 rushing, 112 receiving).

Tennessee @ [font=Arial]Oakland[/font] - Recap

This was great football.  If I had a condition that put me in the hospital for a week, I wouldn't mind if they played this game on the television and looped it until I was discharged.  Hard running, great passing, tough defense...this game had it all.  The Titans (8-5) got the better of this contest and now find themselves tied with Houston (8-5) for the AFCS division lead.  I know a lot of Jags fans will never forgive the Titans for 1999 and Jeff Fisher, but how can you not admire them a bit now?  As a fan of a team that has quit, it's refreshing to see a team that has not even when logic deemed they should have.  Despite their gritty performance in this game, Oakland (6-7) saw playoff possibilities fade away.

The AFC playoffs now look like it's narrowed down to 7 teams competing for 6 spots:

1) Baltimore
2) New England
3) Kansas City
4) Houston (or Tennessee)
5) Buffalo
6) Pittsburgh (or Houston or Tennessee)

Now for the picks:

Game 1  ([font=Arial]Houston[/font] @ [font=Arial]Tennessee[/font])

The Texans (8-5) travel to Nissan stadium to take on the Titans (8-5) in a game that will decide who gets temporary leadership of the AFCS.  As these two teams need no introduction, let's focus on remaining schedules just a bit.  Week 16 will see the Titans (8-5) hosting the Saints (10-3) while the  Buccaneers (6-7) host the Texans (8-5).  For week 17, the Titans will be heading to Houston for round 2 of this matchup.  The division crown may very well be decided on tiebreakers, but out of the three remaining games the two head-to-head matchups are all-important.  Houston currently has the divisional record advantage over Tennessee.  If Houston wins this game then Tennessee will be out of contention for the division title (even if they manage to beat New Orleans) unless Houston lays an egg in Tampa Bay.  What I'm trying to say is that if the Texans and Titans split their two games together, it will benefit Houston.  So, if Houston wins one against Tennessee and manages to beat the Buccaneers, they are your AFCS champion.  By now I'm sure the Titans have come to the realization that they probably have to beat the Texans TWICE in order to win the division.  That's quite a daunting task, but they've risen to the challenge every time over the last four weeks and I expect them to do it again here.  

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Titans[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  30
[font=Arial][font=Arial]Texans[/font][/font]  23

Game 2  (Jacksonville @ [font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Oakland[/font][/font][/font][/font])

Our Jaguars (4-9) take on the Raiders (6-7) in a 4pm game in Oakland.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Raiders[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  33
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Jaguars[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  13

Game 3  ([font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font] @ [font=Arial][font=Arial]New Orleans[/font][/font])

After dropping one final, crucial game against the Bucs, the Colts (6-7) can now clean off their golf clubs and ease into the postseason.  The Saints (10-3) need to keep winning as they jockey for a better playoff seed, namely one of the two coveted first round buys.  They catch a dispirited Colts team at the right time.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Saints[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  38
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Colts[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  20

Last Week  1-3

Overall  28-15

Pete Prisco last week  2-2
Pete Prisco overall  23-20
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1-3
Now 23-20

Tennessee
Oakland
New Orleans
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

alright, two up on Prisco and nipping at the heels of our interim TWitAFCS host Kodiak at 25-18.

One would think that if I wanted to catch up, I'd have to pick contrary to our Alaskan friend. But, I am also not dumb. My picks:

TEN 25 Hou 16 - I respectfully disagree with Kodiak about the unfortunate punishment that would be a forced audience to watching the thumbtacks win repeatedly for an entire week. I don't know how in the world Tannehill made this team so different, but until they start losing, I can't deny their momentum. I feel gross. The sign on the wall may read "Welcome to the Good Place", but I can't help wondering if this is just hell with a frozen yogurt shoppe.

OAK 32 Jax 16 - WE FINALLY END THE STREAK OF 17-POINT LOSSES. If Oakland has been struggling with any offensive woes, we offer the perfect cure. If Doug is looking to provide the team with a spark, he may just decide to miss the plane out of JAX on Saturday.

NO 28 Ind 16 - Probably will be closer than this, but I have an obsessive personality and noticed my other two losers have 16 points. The Saints have home field and a better team, and it appears that Indy is fading as the season wears on. They'll have to wait another week before they can foresee an end to the skid.

(12-09-2019, 06:01 AM)KodiakJag Wrote:
Last Week  1-3

Overall  28-15

Pete Prisco last week  2-2
Pete Prisco overall  23-20

In it to beat pete. Not getting cute this week
Tacks
Saints
Raiders.
19-22 overall

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

2-2 last week
21-18 overall

Titans over Texans
Saints over Colts
Raiders over Jaguars
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019, 09:51 AM by snowwolf776.)

24-17 overall

titians 

saints

Raiders

1-2 this week. record goes to 25-19 overall.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

25-18 Overall

This week:

tacks
Saints
Raiders

2-2 last week, 23-20 overall (same as Prisco). Had my sister called heads instead of tails, I'd have an extra win. Someone else calls the flip next time.

Waiting to see what D6 says.

1-3 Last week

24-19 Overall

Tacks
Oakland
New Orleans
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Titans (Mainly because they are the home team, but they also have been playing some good football after the QB change).
Raiders
Saints

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 08:31 PM by Jags.)

I think I was 0-4 last week.  Which would make me 22-20

At this point I’m only hoping to do “well” due to others losing interest or forgetting to make picks.  But I’m a competitor so I’ll keep riding  on. 

This week I’ll go with just the winning teams.  Cool?

Houston
Oakland
NO

Prisco posted his picks earlier today.  From cbssports.com:

Houston Texans at Tennessee Titans (-3)

This is for first place in the division, which means it's a huge game. The Titans have won six of seven games with Ryan Tannehill at quarterback. He is playing great football. The Texans were awful in their home loss to the Broncos last week and I think Tannehill will carve up that defense like Drew Lock did. The Titans will take over first place. 

Pick: Titans 29, Texans 24

Jacksonville Jaguars at Oakland Raiders (-6.5)

The Jaguars are terrible right now, and they've never played well on the West Coast. The defense is getting gashed every week, which won't change here. In the last game at the Coliseum for the Raiders, Derek Carr and the offense will light up a team that is thinking about vacations.

Pick: Raiders 37, Jaguars 17

Indianapolis Colts at New Orleans Saints (-9)

The Colts are barely hanging to their playoff hopes after losing two straight and they are playing consecutive road games. The Saints looked awful on defense last week losing at home to the 49ers. But they will bounce back here with a better effort on that side of the ball and the offense will continue to roll.

Pick: Saints 30, Colts 19

PRISCO'S PICKS - WEEK 15
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

2-2 last week, so 24-19 overall.

I'll take the titans, raiders, and saints.

Titans because I want them to pay Tannehill, raiders because the Jaguars are garbage right now plus they're horrendous on the west coast, saints because they're better than the colts.

2-2 last week
2-2 total

Titans over the Texans
Saints over the Colts
Raiders over the Jags
[Image: giphy.gif]

so after 1-3 last week now 18-25 overall
I'm tempted to quit picking the Jags ....afraid when I do
they'll finally win a freakin' game.   Laughing

anyway this week I like

tacks over 'horns  Sick always feel this way picking tacks

Jags over the raiders - I never learn

'aints will finish breaking the clots
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Week # 14 Results: 3-1
Overall: 27-16

Week # 15 Selections:

Tennessee
Oakland
New Orleans

Seems to be unanimous, but I'm gonna go with a small upset:

Texans over the Tacks - Tacks are red hot, but I hear Derrick Henry might be fighting an injury
Saints over Colts - Saints have clinched the division title, but still want to stay home for the playoffs
Raiders over Jags - Jags traveling west, have nothing to play for. Wish it were different.

20-22 overall

Titans
Raiders
Saints

If the horseshoes pull it off tonight, I can claim an 0-fer. Can't complain, though as that means I have both a Jags win and a tacks loss to celebrate!

(12-10-2019, 03:20 PM)jagherd Wrote: 25-18 Overall

This week:

tacks
Saints
Raiders

1-2 This week

26-20 overall