Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Official coaching hire speculations

So I figured rather then starting a thread about who I’d like to see (read below) for new candidates for HC we could have an all inclusive thread. 

Writing is on the wall at this point that Marrone is gone, regardless of what level of blame he shares for this cluster. 

I honestly wonder if we can lure Harbaugh from Michigan. He built his prestige on taking a floundering franchise with an up and down QB (Smith) and molding them into an annual competitor. He knows how to win with whatever ingredients you give him. His tenure at Michigan had made his legacy a bit lower in my opinion (due to conference competition, harder to recruit vs draft/develop) so I think it’s hard to use his Michigan tenure to throw mud on him. He does what he can but it’s hard to compete with OSU year in and year out. Maybe he’s looking to rehab his reputation as a stellar coach. Who knows? Write the check Khan. Any coach can say they’re loyal to their program but money talks. 

Thoughts? Other people you’d like to see?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Marvin Lewis
Ron Rivera

Marvin Lewis had a lot of success with very limited resources. Cincy was well known as one of the cheapest franchises in terms of scouting and front office functionality.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 10:29 AM by Caldrac.)

Borgonzi and Bieniemy from the Chiefs.
Paton and Stefanski from the Vikings.

Both groups can build a modern offense. Chiefs by speed. Vikings by physicalness. Either group is fine by me.

Give them full reign up front. Don't say they're forced to play Foles or Minshew in 2020.

And just stay the [BLEEP] out of their way in that building. Been saying this now for nearly three weeks.

No retreads. [BLEEP] all of that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-09-2019, 10:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Borgonzi and Bieniemy from the Chiefs.
Paton and Stefanski from the Vikings.

Both groups can build a modern offense. Chiefs by speed. Vikings by physicalness. Either group is fine by me.

Give them full reign up front. Don't say they're forced to play Foles or Minshew in 2020.

And just stay the [BLEEP] out of their way in that building. Been saying this now for nearly three weeks.

No retreads. [BLEEP] all of that.

Marrone was our first ever “retread” hire. 

I prefer a proven winning coach. New coordinators are boom or bust. Just my two cents

I want Harbaugh as our coach too. Just not the [BLEEP] one who can't get it done in Michigan.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

That is the KEY. STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY. Don't give them caveats when they come in "build the defense based off X" or "have to play Y type offense". No: You let them build the team to THEIR identity. I think that is what hamstrung Marrone. He inherited Bradley's leftovers in Wash. Why he hasn't fired him after FIVE consecutive busts on defense, I have no idea.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

People forget how bad Michigan was in my opinion. I would welcome Harbaugh here after the players have been so disgustingly undisciplined.

I can't believe nobody has gotten fired yet. This is unbelievable.

Stefanski
Rhule
Petersen
Harbaugh
Garrett

Steve Belichick for giggles
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-09-2019, 11:52 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: People forget how bad Michigan was in my opinion.  I would welcome Harbaugh here after the players have been so disgustingly undisciplined.

This. 

So much there is out of his control that affects his job (recruiting woes, tough conference, etc)

(12-09-2019, 10:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Marvin Lewis
Ron Rivera

Marvin Lewis had a lot of success with very limited resources.  Cincy was well known as one of the cheapest franchises in terms of scouting and front office functionality.

My two selects as well.

I would definitely put Bienemy's name at the top, with a big, fat, ginormous caveat - choosing him requires PATIENCE. If you bring in a guy to build a quick, fast-paced offense that keeps defenses on their heels, it is going to take some time to undo the roster-building we've already done, no matter how 'built' you consider the current roster to be.

If we go after another guy who is going to build a ball control, slow-paced offense, the leash is a little shorter, and the expectation for success is more immediate. I think or WR corps are well suited to a fast-paced offense, but our line and RB room will need much retooling.

TE is a full build at this point. If Oliver pans out, yay us, but I am not banking the future on him and him alone at this stage.

Today is the first day I've heard Marv Lewis named, and I cringed. He's JDR, he's Doug, someone who is not going to innovate or develop the next big star, someone who is just going to plod through the season in hopes of getting 8-9 wins, squeaking in the playoffs, and heading home shortly thereafter. Hard pass.

I'm not chasing Harbs, either. He's consistent, good enough to get the wins against the team's he's supposed to, but never pulling off the upsets, finding ways to beat the teams that are stronger, faster, or just better coached. I'd be ok pursuing Rivera, he's a great leader and seems to be able to bring in coordinators that help his men succeed. I don't consider McCarthy an option. I think he'll be able to take his pick of the jobs out there, and Carolina is probably going to make a big push to bring him in.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 12:15 PM by knarnn.)

Ron Rivera

Marvin Lewis had a lot of success with very limited resources.  Cincy was well known as one of the cheapest franchises in terms of scouting and front office functionality.

I wouldn’t be mad at either. Both will at a minimum, have control of the locker rooms. I can’t say the same for the past 4 coaches here.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-09-2019, 11:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I can't believe nobody has gotten fired yet. This is unbelievable.

Agree, it's insane...

(12-09-2019, 11:57 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 11:52 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: People forget how bad Michigan was in my opinion.  I would welcome Harbaugh here after the players have been so disgustingly undisciplined.

This. 

So much there is out of his control that affects his job (recruiting woes, tough conference, etc)
At one point. Michigan made him the highest paid football coach in the NCAA. Or he was at least the highest paid coach at one point based on his salary and incentives.

He's been there for about 5 years now. He was supposed to be the calling card that brought in recruits. Hasn't really lived up to any of the height.

And we still don't know the cause of the rift during his stint with the 49ERS. We know he won there. But it was apparently toxic enough to get him ran off despite winning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.busines...gh-2014-12

Just not a fan of his. Now, had he pulled a Pete Carroll or Jimmy Johnson with Michigan and won something I would feel more inclined. But he hasn't. And the split with the 49ERS was messy for some reason.

Was it him? Was it York? Was it Baalke? Who knows? But would he be able to handle working in a small market with say another daddy's boy telling him what to do in Khan Jr?

(12-09-2019, 12:15 PM)knarnn Wrote:
Ron Rivera

I wouldn’t be mad at either. Both will at a minimum, have control of the locker rooms. I can’t say the same for the past 4 coaches here.
You must not know Marvin Lewis then. He didn't have control of that locker room AT ALL.

(12-09-2019, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 12:15 PM)knarnn Wrote: I wouldn’t be mad at either. Both will at a minimum, have control of the locker rooms. I can’t say the same for the past 4 coaches here.
You must not know Marvin Lewis then. He didn't have control of that locker room AT ALL.
Nope. Burfict, Ocho Stinko & Pacman Jones all come to mind as loose cannons.

All that said. The Bengals are known for being cheap and stingy and that leaves you limited as a scouting staff and coaching staff.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

Marvin Lewis?
Garrett?
Ron Rivera?

I thought we wanted to get better...

Might as well keep Marrone or give JDR a call.

(12-09-2019, 01:27 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Marvin Lewis?
Garrett?
Ron Rivera?

Exactly.

(12-09-2019, 01:27 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Marvin Lewis?
Garrett?
Ron Rivera?

Wanna know what all of those guys have in common?

Winning records.