Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Breaking Up With the Team

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 06:40 PM by The Real Marty.)

After 25 years of Jaguars fandom, living and dying on every play, I can feel myself pulling away.  Sunday's game against the Chargers was the first time since the inception of the team that I paid absolutely no attention to the game.  It's all so pointless.  

I'm thinking the problem with this team starts with the owner.  He doesn't know how to run a winning franchise. 

I'm also starting to consider what the effects would be on the city, and on myself, if and when the Jags move to another city.  The franchise is killing itself.  There will soon be no fan base, and no reason for them to be based in Jacksonville.  Of course, there will be no reason for them to be anywhere else either, because no one in their right mind would want this team, the way it is being run.  

They cannot continue to ask people to pay good money to buy tickets to this stuff.  Heck, they shouldn't even expect people to watch it on TV.  You cannot sell a bad product.  

But I swear, the fans will not be to blame for the death of this franchise in Jacksonville.  It will have killed itself.  I think it's already most of the way there.   The time is coming, real soon, when the entire fan base takes a walk, and the whole thing is dead in Jacksonville.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Copying over from the disgrace record thread... yeah this feels crushing

So is it just that I'm getting beyond middle age that I feel that this team is hitting all time lows. This just feels worse than the end of the Coughlin Coaching with Salary Cap hell. It feels worse than going all in on pass rushers because that would put us over the top. It just feels worse than firing everyone and putting faith in an unproven coach with a defensive plan. It feels worse than the 2017 fools gold. This just feels like a culmination of all that is wrong with managing a franchise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The problem with your theory is that the team was all but abandoned by fans in the mid-2000's, yet the predicted move to LA never happened despite Weaver's behind the scenes efforts to make it so. Purely anecdotal evidence, but I knew someone reasonably up the team's totem pole back then, and their belief was that the reason Weaver sold the team is that he didn't think the NFL would let him have LA.

Whether that's true or not, Khan's increasing fascination with London can't be overlooked, and with the upcoming TV deal likely to slit the throats of small market teams then open them up like a Pez dispenser and whiz into their trachea, the very real possibility exists that Khan will find the income potential of London too strong to overlook, especially if the NFL gives his team a few key advantages (salary cap allowances, preferred scheduling, etc.) that make a team over there more palatable. It remains my belief for that reason that the next London deal will be for two home games, with an announcement in/around 2024 that the Jaguars are moving overseas.

It feels like this franchise, the entire thing, the NFL Jaguars in Jacksonville, is dying.

https://youtu.be/2Ko9TpduOhE

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

NFL is broken and becoming less enjoyable. It isn't because of the athletes, coaches or working people. I agree with the Pez dispenser metaphor above. I just could see a total nut kick on the next CBA. Leagues take their fans for granted looking to expand to new people that might not even care about football.

We are having our annual corporate floggings and it seems like they would rather chase new customers in foreign lands just to pump up the subscriber numbers at the expense of the existing customer base. The average US household spends more on services than the people we are chasing. I just don't understand this thinking.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Yesterday was the first time ever that I didn’t even make an attempt to watch the game. I live in Tallahassee, and it wasn’t being shown out here, and I didn’t even try to find a stream. I’ve finally reached my limit. I’m at the point where I just do not care anymore.

(12-09-2019, 06:51 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: NFL is broken and becoming less enjoyable.  It isn't because of the athletes, coaches or working people.  I agree with the Pez dispenser metaphor above.  I just could see a total nut kick on the next CBA.  Leagues take their fans for granted looking to expand to new people that might not even care about football.

We are having our annual corporate floggings and it seems like they would rather chase new customers in foreign lands just to pump up the subscriber numbers at the expense of the existing customer base.  The average US household spends more on services than the people we are chasing.  I just don't understand this thinking.

It's market saturation. The NFL believes that their fan base in the US is what it is and isn't growing. If anything, they believe their US fan base will be shrinking in coming years due to the increasingly absurd amounts of money paid to people who can handle a ball, increasing pushback on the use of municipal funds to build a billionare's playground, and more importantly because of the concussion scandal and the NFL's role in it. The logical move is to look to the international markets like Europe, China, Mexico, even Canada to see what they can stir up to replace what they're going to lose as US popularity dips over the next couple of decades.

(12-09-2019, 06:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: After 25 years of Jaguars fandom, living and dying on every play, I can feel myself pulling away.  Sunday's game against the Chargers was the first time since the inception of the team that I paid absolutely no attention to the game.  It's all so pointless.

Then I would say that you really aren't a fan.  "Living and dying on every play" is a little extreme don't you think?

Take a look at fans of the Browns, Lions and even the Patriots.  Yes I include the Patriots because my wife has been a fan for years.  Go back and look at their record prior to 2000.

My point is that real "fans" stick by their team through winning and/or losing seasons.  Real "fans" are loyal even if their team sucks.  My life and happiness doesn't revolve around how our NFL team does and neither should yours.  You just accept it and move on.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Overseas NFL teams will never work. The cost, logistics, and competition are too difficult to maintain. London brings in good numbers because it's a novelty item to Europeans. Start giving them a game nearly every week for 16 weeks and the interest will wane quickly.

Locally, this fan base is simply burned out on broken promise. It's taken 25 years, but they've finally hit the stops on fan patience and hope. From one coaching regime to the next, it's the same old story and people are simply tired of it. I'm not sure how much time or interest a billionaire businessman can and should put into owning an NFL franchise, but it seems to me he could hire someone who manages well for him. How involved are the other owners? My guess is Khan allows too many second chances for failing staff and coaches. No solid positive results in two years that show an upward trend that can be built upon? You're fired. One thing is for sure, we are in historic, HISTORIC, bad times. We are literally lowering the bar each game.

Now New4Jax is running a story on longtime STHs calling it quits. It's bad. It's really bad.

The franchise killing itself isn't organic. It's a concerted effort to drive interest in the franchise to all-time lowes, reducing the revenue low enough to make moving the team to London the (seemingly) only option.

Shad isn't dumb. The writing is on the wall. This team will make more money in London. He's just got to make the case more palatable to his fellow owners.

Lemme guess, straight A's and high honors in high school drama. Buuuuuuwwwwwaaaaaa!!!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Thank you, I needed this thread.

So I'm in England, I stumbled on the NFL when I was 15, I knew no one who knew anything and this was before the internet and I turned on a game and the Jags were playing. Thats how they became my team. This was 2000. I travelled over in 2003 to watch the team, I've followed us ever since and always managed to find a way to find some positives in this loveable loser of a franchise.

I was starting to wonder why I make myself depressed for 3 hours on a Sunday when Khan, Gus and Caldwell talking this new dawn, I bought in. I sat through the Gus years, I went to London games when we were over here, it was rough.

2017 was magical. It made all those years worth it. Seeing young guys break through and step up, it felt like we were at the beginning of a decade of competing and maybe actually winning a SB.

Yet here we are 2 years later and it's in ruins. The stars are leaving, the coaches stink and it's looking like a rebuild. How much and how deep will depend on who we get but I cant see this team competing for at least 2 years.

The last 5 games have been brutal. Were barely playing football, let alone to a professional level. Everyone is pissed at each other. I'm trying to find reasons why to stay as invested as I am.

Sad times.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 07:33 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

I’m a jags fan until I die. That doesn’t mean i have to be 100% invested in this team every moment of my life. I’ve become desensitized to our failure at this point.. it hardly bothers me anymore. I’ve realized that is just the nature of being a small market team.. we don’t have the same resources that the bigger teams do. Most years are going to suck, with a few good ones sprinkled in. I really hope this team stays here.. if the plan truly is to tank purposely so that fans will stop supporting, as some have speculated, I would say that is not only extremely disrespectful to the diehard fans such as myself, but it is cruel and inhumane. I will do everything I can as a working class fan to support this team, because I love the game of football, and I love my Jacksonville Jaguars. Lets just ride this storm out and gear up for next year. It’s all we can do at this point.

Call me the Village Idiot for putting a deposit down on season tickets last week. Even my ticket rep seemed surprised.

Nobody listened to me when i say this franchise is a real life Major League movie lol.

Can I have your attention, please? I have something I think you all ought to know about. It seems that Mr. Khan doesn't think too highly of our worth. He put this team together because he thought we'd be bad enough to finish dead last, knocking attendance down to the point where he could move the team to London.. and get rid of all of us for better personnel.

I went to the game against the Bucs.

We got blown out of course but....I still had fun. I didn’t let it get to me.

So I’m going to keep my tradition of making the journey up there for one game a year.

I know it’s tough for the STH. Keep the faith and hope for the best

As a tacks fan I can relate to this thread. I learned a few years back to not invest so much of myself into the outcome of the games. I still get high after wins and low after a loss but not as bad as years prior.

Hang in there jags fans. This season showed me that one little change can have a dramatic effect on your team. Maybe a coaching change is yours. Good luck in the offseason
[Image: incredulous.gif]

It's not you, it's them

https://youtu.be/K57WmCGKQSQ

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."