Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Breaking Up With the Team

Honestly apathy set in a while ago for me. I don’t care anymore I watch out of habit but now I find myself turning it off after halftime. I don’t get excited anymore, I expect to lose going into most seasons. I might eventually lose interest but it’s hard to imagine the jags have been such a big part of my childhood, teen years and adult life.

I’ll probably leave north Florida before they do but I often wonder if I’d still follow them if we ever relocated? I don’t know it’s weird what comes after apathy?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Now I’m thinking hypothetically what if I was a free agent fan? Who would I pick? Maybe I want to pick a winner like the patriots or packers? Can’t pick a west coast team to hard to follow. Maybe I want to pick another underdog team and rise with them like the cardinals or buffalo? Maybe I want to find a blue collar Team in a blue collar guy like the Steelers? Do I keep it regional and default to Atlanta or Tampa that seems like a repeat of more of the same. Do I stick in the division and jump to Houston I like Tennessee asa state could that ever happen? Eh I dunno maybe I’d just give up on the nfl?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 10:10 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I'm going to continue rooting for this team, but I swear it's gonna eventually kill me.

[Image: fred-sanford-im-coming-o.gif]

This franchise is young. We don’t have multiple generations watching this team. And if we do, they’re not die hard fans yet.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 10:20 PM by mikesez.)

I'll root for the Jaguars as long as they're in Jacksonville. I haven't lived in Jax for 17 years now, but for most of those years I made an effort to go to Hooters or Ale House if the game wasn't on TV. And I used to try to go to one, maybe two games a year. Now I'm only leaving the house for the Jags if they're doing well. I'm not sad about it though.
I have no appetite to try to find a different NFL team either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-09-2019, 09:52 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Now I’m thinking hypothetically what if I was a free agent fan? Who would I pick? Maybe I want to pick a winner like the patriots or packers? Can’t pick a west coast team to hard to follow. Maybe I want to pick another underdog team and rise with them like the cardinals or buffalo? Maybe I want to find a blue collar Team in a blue collar guy like the Steelers? Do I keep it regional and default to Atlanta or Tampa that seems like a repeat of more of the same.   Do I stick in the division and jump to Houston I like Tennessee asa state could that ever happen? Eh I dunno maybe I’d just give up on the nfl?
I’ve actually thought about this.  But I can’t will myself to actually care for another team.  Ive lived in Philadelphia and Chicago.  I’m not a fan of either team.  Don’t give two [BLEEP] for either and while watching them, it rarely registers that I’ve even lived there.  I don’t think I could root for another team unless I was living in the community or nearby suburbs. Just something about the home town team that makes it worth it to me.  I can’t be a chiefs fan.  I’ve got no ties there.  I know I’d just be a bandwagon fan at that point

We're 174-222 all time. 29th in league history for winning percentage.
Here we go again

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 11:08 PM by nejagsfan.)

(12-09-2019, 07:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 06:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: After 25 years of Jaguars fandom, living and dying on every play, I can feel myself pulling away.  Sunday's game against the Chargers was the first time since the inception of the team that I paid absolutely no attention to the game.  It's all so pointless.

Then I would say that you really aren't a fan.  "Living and dying on every play" is a little extreme don't you think?

Take a look at fans of the Browns, Lions and even the Patriots.  Yes I include the Patriots because my wife has been a fan for years.  Go back and look at their record prior to 2000.

My point is that real "fans" stick by their team through winning and/or losing seasons.  Real "fans" are loyal even if their team sucks.  My life and happiness doesn't revolve around how our NFL team does and neither should yours.  You just accept it and move on.

Exactly cry me a River.... To tell you the truth I was born and raised a browns fan.... Back in 95 when the browns sold or left Cleveland... I was without a team...Most of my family stopped watching football all together until the late 90s when the browns came back.... I decided to pick a new team And that's when I became a jags fan... And I've been a fan ever since... what really sold me is being able to beat Denver in the playoffs!! something the browns couldn't do in the 80's... I still watch those games...the fumble...the drive!! hoping that some how it will be a different outcome... anyways...Through thick and thin I will always be a jags fan no matter how bad they do..... We will have our good years and definitely have our bad years but as a true fan you stick with your team..you wear their colors and go to the games... And watch every Sunday no matter what...That's what makes you a true fan...

(12-09-2019, 10:16 PM)Jags Wrote: This franchise is young. We don’t have multiple generations watching this team.  And if we do, they’re not die hard fans yet.

We aren't THAT young. "Generation Jaguar" simply hasn't done their job.

(12-09-2019, 07:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 06:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: After 25 years of Jaguars fandom, living and dying on every play, I can feel myself pulling away.  Sunday's game against the Chargers was the first time since the inception of the team that I paid absolutely no attention to the game.  It's all so pointless.

Then I would say that you really aren't a fan.  "Living and dying on every play" is a little extreme don't you think?

Take a look at fans of the Browns, Lions and even the Patriots.  Yes I include the Patriots because my wife has been a fan for years.  Go back and look at their record prior to 2000.

My point is that real "fans" stick by their team through winning and/or losing seasons.  Real "fans" are loyal even if their team sucks.  My life and happiness doesn't revolve around how our NFL team does and neither should yours.  You just accept it and move on.

Nailed it man.  We have some folks that need to check their intestinal fortitude for crying out loud.  

Imagine the plight of Lion fans...Cub fans...in comparison.

You act like Jacksonville is the only city with a lousy team and empty seats. It's not. In Atlanta, where I live, the stadium is half empty for Falcons games. Same with DC and Tampa.

Someone mentioned the other day, that since Shad has owned the team, the Jags have averaged two wins at home per year, excluding 2017. The team has had multiple losing streaks of five and seven games. You see if that sells in San Antonio, or London or anywhere else. The fact is, given their abysmal record, the fans in this town have done an extraordinary job supporting the team.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theory that Kahn is trying to sabatoge the team. You don't spend $80 million on a QB you think will be a bust.

Finally, since the `1970-NFL-AFL merger, poor attendance has never been the reason for franchise shifts. Teams move because they want better stadiums.

Value your time. Life is short. Either watching a jags game is a value or not. The great thing about a losing franchise is that you can skip a few years and not miss anything. Don’t let anyone tell you what to value with your time bud. You don’t owe anyone [BLEEP]. Maybe I watch the game, maybe I turn it off...maybe I watch all 4 quarters. Maybe I go to a game. Who gives a [BLEEP]? Don’t let anyone else determine if you’re a real fan based on their defined participation level. You’re a registered member of a forum dedicated to the Jaguars. Only a small percentage of the fan base has done that let alone posted as much as you have. Does that qualify you as a solid fan? I will let you answer that.

I skipped a few years of a fan participation and clearly don’t know as much about football as some folks on this board. But I guarantee you this, I’m a happy man.

Its not just the Jaguars on-field ineptitude that gets me... Its the entire sport, or at least the NFL, which has lost my interest immensely.

Games are more noticeably intervened by ref's decisions frequently, the game just gets dragged out, and more.

Honestly, college football is infinitely better than this crap that our team shows on the field and that the NFL offers up - and I say this as someone who favored the NFL over NCAA. The energy surrounding NCAAFB is just way different - and it has always been like that.

Every single Jags fan is more than entitled to want nothing to do with the franchise after this past decade. Don't let anyone tell you that being a "real" fan means subjecting yourself to an awful product over and over, when realistically fandom stems from being entertained first and foremost.

Personally I still watch every game, just in a season like this I detach after a certain point , enjoy the ineptitude and focus on the upcoming offseason. Although this season has been bad, its at least been pretty funny and this upcoming offseason is the most important in some time.

(12-09-2019, 11:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 10:16 PM)Jags Wrote: This franchise is young. We don’t have multiple generations watching this team.  And if we do, they’re not die hard fans yet.

We aren't THAT young. "Generation Jaguar" simply hasn't done their job.

That generation doesn't have the cake to plop down on season tickets.  Boomers still have oodles of the savings and income.  Generation X (my group) is slightly better but doesn't have the depths of savings and income that the boomers have.  Just a different working environment with pensions and other kickers that employers offered to keep you locked in for a life time of work.  Millennials don't see things the same way and frankly came up watching housing crashes and evaporating of long term employment.

Corporate America is a cut throat employment area where you just aren't going to stay with a job for 20 plus years.

All this said, it does have an impact on how they watch sports, how they value sporting experiences and where they put their money.  Can they afford the tickets?  Probably but there isn't the value in it like we have/had.

Watch the stand shots and you see middle age six pack people everywhere.  NFL fanbase is aging out and they are looking to other places to replenish.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-09-2019, 09:52 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Now I’m thinking hypothetically what if I was a free agent fan? Who would I pick? Maybe I want to pick a winner like the patriots or packers? Can’t pick a west coast team to hard to follow. Maybe I want to pick another underdog team and rise with them like the cardinals or buffalo? Maybe I want to find a blue collar Team in a blue collar guy like the Steelers? Do I keep it regional and default to Atlanta or Tampa that seems like a repeat of more of the same. Do I stick in the division and jump to Houston I like Tennessee asa state could that ever happen? Eh I dunno maybe I’d just give up on the nfl?

Honestly, I've lived in Northern VA for 16 years almost. My twin lived in Baltimore for awhile, so I'd go see him and we'd watch some baseball on a blue moon occasion. Watching the Ravens and the Steelers beat the tar out of each other for years got me always rooting for the Ravens. The way I see it, i'm sticking as a Jags fan because I lived in Jacksonville from 95-97. I'm still rooting for the team and I always will - even if they're in London.

That said, when it comes to college I root for several teams. Why not? There's tons of them. I don't see the problem with rooting for a second NFL team when the primary one I root for sucks. So I half a Ravens fan at this point too. Even if that makes me a bandwagon fan, the way I see it, you stick around being a fan of a team like Jacksonville for more than a decade, you reserve the right to be a bandwagon fan of a winning team if you want it..

(12-09-2019, 06:53 PM)BigJohn98 Wrote: Yesterday was the first time ever that I didn’t even make an attempt to watch the game. I live in Tallahassee, and it wasn’t being shown out here, and I didn’t even try to find a stream. I’ve finally reached my limit. I’m at the point where I just do not care anymore.

I considered it an act of mercy.

If football so greatly affects your emotions to the point of being melodramatic... yeah you should probably break up with football.

Winning is cool
Losing sucks
And we've lost more than we've won.
But this is my team damn it.
They aren't moving to London. (Stop with the crazy talk you incessant ninnies)
Or LA
or San Antonio.

If you're a quitter..... Quit. If you're fair weather... so be it.
I can't tell anyone what to do with their money. And if I were a local, I wouldn't be buying season tickets with the trash this current regime has put together. But I'll still watch, when they're watchable and when they aren't I find other things to do with my Sundays. And otherwise, I remove my emotions from it. Because real life is bigger than anything the NFL can offer you.
So... I encourage you to try to enjoy the NFL. And if you can't. If you hate life on Mondays and feel like crying. If you just don't want to try anymore. Don't.

Nothing should affect you so strongly when you have little to no control over any of it.
If you can't take losing... maybe hop on another teams bandwagon. Maybe just watch all the teams to enjoy the sport.

Maybe just give it all up and go hiking instead, I dunno.

(12-09-2019, 09:36 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Honestly apathy set in a while ago for me. I don’t care anymore I watch out of habit but now I find myself turning it off after halftime. I don’t get excited anymore, I expect to lose going into most seasons. I might eventually lose interest but it’s hard to imagine the jags have been such a big part of my childhood, teen years and adult life.

I’ll probably leave north Florida before they do but I often wonder if I’d still follow them if we ever relocated? I don’t know it’s weird what comes after apathy?

My thoughts exactly.  In addition to the above, I also find myself not even liking the athletes that are being paid excessively and question why I support their wages.

Im 40 years old. I've been a fan of this team since inception. I've seen some STELLAR teams with borderline Hall of Famers (Boselli, Taylor, Smith)....and i've seen some absolute TRASH on the field (Gabbert, Joeckel, the entire team from 2008-20016). I left Jacksonville in 2004 because the military took me away but I still root for my hometown team. I retired from the military in 2017 with all intent to move BACK home and buy season tickets but a new job kept me in NC. I'm about 7 hrs away but luckily i've been fortunate enough to fall into a job that I could afford season tickets and make it to a few home games a year. I have YET to make that purchase though. Why would I? Why would I subject myself to a 14hr round trip to watch my team get beat in EVERY facet of the game for 60 minutes and get skunked 45-10? It's lunacy. I might consider investing of my hard earned money and more important: my TIME if this team actually showed an inkling of CARING about the product they put on the field, and matched the effort and passion the FANS put in year in and year out supporting this farce of an NFL team. Until then, i'll find other things to occupy my time on Sunday.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn