Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How much would you clean house?
Keep Coughlin, fire Caldwell and entire coaching staff, retool roster
Keep front office, fire coaching staff, retool roster
Blow it up. New FO, new staff and major roster cuts.
New FO, new staff and retool roster
New FO, new staff and retool roster INCLUDING drafting QB
blank #2
[Show Results]

Rebuild Vs Retool

Lots of different degrees to which the Jags might approach righting the ship.
How deep would you cut?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

To be clear - when I say "retool roster" I mean add talent to repair the run defense and secondary plus OL upgrades and a target or two for Minshew and/or Foles.

I say blow it ALL up. Keep a few players but they can rebuild the whole damn thing for all I care.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Just need to figure out QB. That’s really it. Is Minshew the guy worth investing the next couple of seasons to? Is he THE MAN.

We always talk rebuild or whatever, but the common theme has been terrible QBs. Since Brunell (who was decent, not anything crazy), it’s been a run of guys namely Leftwich, Garrard, Gabbert, and Bortles who they’ve invested the time developing. Years of wasted effort and time. It’s time to make the decision if Minshew is worth time developing. Which means atleast 3 years. If not get a guy in the draft.

Clean out the FO and coaching staff and retool the roster. We aren't as far away as we look right now. There are so many things that are results of scheme and coaching. The only two areas that really need severe revamping are the offensive line and the Lbs.

(12-10-2019, 05:34 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Clean out the FO and coaching staff and retool the roster.  We aren't as far away as we look right now.  There are so many things that are results of scheme and coaching.  The only two areas that really need severe revamping are the offensive line and the Lbs.

I agree. 

I'd add the lack of a run stuffing nose tackle to that short list, but I agree. 
I think 4 upgraded starters on defense and as few as 3 on offense would go a long way with improved coaching. 
We have the draft capital and ways to make room for a couple of FA signings.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2019, 05:42 PM by MojoKing.)

No reason to blow up, we already blew up. Our only good players in 2013, were Meester, MJD, and Daryl.

We have
Minshew, Allen, Linder, Taylor, Chark, Bryan, Fournette, Jack I think is a solid foundation certainly not dreadful. I think we should resign Dareus and restructure Campbell. For the love of god sign Yannick

Build around Minshew. Get him pass protection, and a TE. This will open up Fournette.

On D, we desperately need a LOT of help. Telvin really screwed us over I think. He was essential despite his poor play last year.

I am leaning towards and voted for: New FO, new staff and retool roster.

I don't think this roster needs to be gutted. This team has shown some degree of competence. Otherwise you wouldn't have four wins. The penalties can be and should be fixable with good coaching and maybe some retooling along the line with some roster upgrades. The front office has to go. I don't trust the current regime with the next 18, 19 or 20 some odd draft picks they currently have over the 2 years at their disposal.

But a good coaching change and a strong front office that can work cohesively with said coaching staff can certainly retool this roster. I was tempted to vote for adding the QB. But I really don't think they'll get Burrow nor Tagovailoa this year. And I am not a fan of Herbert at all. So I didn't see the point in that. I think you try and test Foles and Minshew out with a new approach on offense. See if they can adapt or not.

If they can't? I really like our chances of landing a QB prospect like Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields in 2021. And there's probably going to be a guy like Joe Burrow who just lights it up and leads a team to pay dirt in one big year that will more than likely climb the QB position on the big board. So I am not sweating that position in 2020. I think Foles will be better after this injury plagued season. And I think Minshew is serviceable and still has three games left to show what else he can do.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-10-2019, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To be clear - when I say "retool roster" I mean add talent to repair the run defense and secondary plus OL upgrades and a target or two for Minshew and/or Foles.

How many years will be deligated to this retooling process?

NH3...
"AZANE"

(12-10-2019, 05:56 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To be clear - when I say "retool roster" I mean add talent to repair the run defense and secondary plus OL upgrades and a target or two for Minshew and/or Foles.

How many years will be deligated to this retooling process?

NH3...

No more than 2 if you ask me. Especially with 2 first round pick's in next year's draft and 2 more in 2021's draft. There's no excuse for this team to continue to bleed out the way it has on defense. They need a culture shock. A coach that can reign them and create the identity and energy that they lack tremendously right now. 

I am all for Bieniemy or Stefanski at this point to lead the offense. The defensive side of the ball can hopefully be fixed with the right coach and some proper scheming. But I just cannot see another Caldwell / Bradley rebuild. There's no way. Especially if they go out and get a General Manager like a Borgonzi or Paton from those very same teams that Bieniemy and Stefanski are from.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I went Blank #2 because I don't know. You can make an argument for keeping Coughlin. You can make an argument for keeping Caldwell. You can make an argument for keeping both, or firing both. About the only argument you can't make is keeping Marrone.

On the players side, I think a major overhaul is needed. We have no OL. We have no TE. We have no LBs. We lack DTs. We have one CB and one S. On the plus side, we have a K and a P, and we probably have a QB and good WRs. I would lean towards blowing it all to hell.

You need a whole new staff, but you always retool. There are too many positions to do a full rebuild in the NFL, and I cannot remember a time it actually ever works. Plus NFL contracts are always 2-4 years, with short windows, so it is really tough to do a full rebuild and hit on everyone and keep them around with salaries.

I know this team looks really bad right, but there are a number of talented young players on this rosters that could be stars (a la Allen) or be serviceable players you need. But they need the right GM/Coach.

Wait.... what’s the argument for keeping Coughlin?

I don't think you need to gut the roster. Releasing Dareus, Campbell, Ryan, Cann, Swaim and Marquise clears up about $53M. Would love to be able to bring back Dareus or Campbell at reduced salary but not sure if that will happen. Regardless, we dont need to get rid of that many players to free up loads of cap space. Gives us the ability to re-sign Yan. Can keep Bouye and Hayden. Depending on what we do in the draft, allows us to keep both Norwell and Linder if we dont find upgrades. But if we were to draft a guy like the Center from Wisconsin early, could get rid of one of those two freeing up even more space.

The cupboard isn't nearly as bare as it was when Gene was fired, but it isn't as full as people say it is now. We need about a dozen new starters and we lead the league in cap space committed to next season too, so if we make cap clearing moves then we have to add to the ~12 new starters needed.

(12-10-2019, 07:32 PM)Upper Wrote: The cupboard isn't nearly as bare as it was when Gene was fired, but it isn't as full as people say it is now. We need about a dozen new starters and we lead the league in cap space committed to next season too, so if we make cap clearing moves then we have to add to the ~12 new starters needed.

I think 7-8 new starters with a decent staff has them back in the hunt. 

Probably unrealistic to think they'd strike gold on upgrading all 7 spots successfully in one offseason, so this may be a two year process unless good fortune plays a role.

Voted New FO, new staff, and retool roster.

But I wouldn't be against drafting a QB as well either.

Foles is garbage, Minshew looks like he could be a solid back up QB, at the least. If the new FO sees a QB in the draft as a potential franchise guy at our pick, then by all means.

This FO and staff must go though regardless. 100%, without a doubt.

(12-10-2019, 08:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 07:32 PM)Upper Wrote: The cupboard isn't nearly as bare as it was when Gene was fired, but it isn't as full as people say it is now. We need about a dozen new starters and we lead the league in cap space committed to next season too, so if we make cap clearing moves then we have to add to the ~12 new starters needed.

I think 7-8 new starters with a decent staff has them back in the hunt. 

Probably unrealistic to think they'd strike gold on upgrading all 7 spots successfully in one offseason, so this may be a two year process unless good fortune plays a role.

If one of them is a bonafide franchise QB, 7-8 is probably good enough.

no more nuclear options for the love of God, find someone that has some vision and let them build a scheme around the talent we have. We should be running a 3-4 imo but whatever draft talent and scheme around that talent. This stupid notion we have to draft players that fit a scheme we are trying to build sets us up to miss on other talented players.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 12:33 AM by jaguarmvp.)

(12-10-2019, 06:04 PM)TJBender Wrote: I went Blank #2 because I don't know. You can make an argument for keeping Coughlin. You can make an argument for keeping Caldwell. You can make an argument for keeping both, or firing both. About the only argument you can't make is keeping Marrone.

On the players side, I think a major overhaul is needed. We have no OL. We have no TE. We have no LBs. We lack DTs. We have one CB and one S. On the plus side, we have a K and a P, and we probably have a QB and good WRs. I would lean towards blowing it all to hell.

Just curious how can you argue keeping Coughlin and Caldwell but then realize this roster is full of holes after years of building?  Their main job is to Acquire enough talent to be competitive and they have failed. There have been too many draft picks and too much money spent for our roster to look like this.

For the record, I voted New FO, New Staff, and retool roster. I am not denying Caldwell/Cough acquired some staff but their average is horrible. Given enough shots you are bound to hit a couple. If you add up all the draft capital this team has had over the last few years combined with the high draft picks the results are just horrendous.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]