Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How much would you clean house?
Keep Coughlin, fire Caldwell and entire coaching staff, retool roster
Keep front office, fire coaching staff, retool roster
Blow it up. New FO, new staff and major roster cuts.
New FO, new staff and retool roster
New FO, new staff and retool roster INCLUDING drafting QB
blank #2
[Show Results]

Rebuild Vs Retool

Would anyone be down for us hiring a new GM, and letting Tom coach again?

Like Tom Coughlin got us into this mess, he has a year to prove he can get us out of it. But, not in the press box but on the sidelines.

Call me crazy, but I would be kind of down for Tom to coach a year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I voted new FO, New Staff, retool roster. I see no way we could trade up and get Burrow and I'm still on the fence with Tua, regarding his health. Those would be the only 2 QB's I'd consider. With that said, I believe we use our picks to retool the offensive line and defensive interior. Add a TE, a couple of linebackers, a CB, a Safety and sign Jordan Phillips via free agency. Build the O-line and the defense, so when we do select a franchise QB in the future, he comes in with a greater chance to succeed, because he has the correct tools around him. A new FO and coaching staff is a "must have" though.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 01:22 AM by TJBender.)

Jump to 24s

https://youtu.be/MduM0SCXlqM?t=24

(12-11-2019, 12:55 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Would anyone be down for us hiring a new GM, and letting Tom coach again?

Like Tom Coughlin got us into this mess, he has a year to prove he can get us out of it. But, not in the press box but on the sidelines.

NO!

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 06:27 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-10-2019, 05:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To be clear - when I say "retool roster" I mean add talent to repair the run defense and secondary plus OL upgrades and a target or two for Minshew and/or Foles.

^ That's what I voted for.  Although I would not rule out trying to draft a franchise QB also, if the new GM and HC think we don't have one.

Although I was on board for the blow-up of the roster we did 6 or 7 years ago, I've come to the conclusion that's not a good idea.  Good teams don't try to get worse in order to get better.  Good teams just try to get better every year.  Draft well, develop your young players, and hire solid free agents, every year.

(12-10-2019, 05:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 05:34 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Clean out the FO and coaching staff and retool the roster.  We aren't as far away as we look right now.  There are so many things that are results of scheme and coaching.  The only two areas that really need severe revamping are the offensive line and the Lbs.

I agree. 

I'd add the lack of a run stuffing nose tackle to that short list, but I agree. 
I think 4 upgraded starters on defense and as few as 3 on offense would go a long way with improved coaching. 
We have the draft capital and ways to make room for a couple of FA signings.

Agreed.

And depending on the coaching hires, I believe our defense is ripe for a switch to a 3-4. It’s time to get the best players on the field and having Allen and Yan in a rotational isn’t going to cut it.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I don't think a major blow up of the roster is required.

I think with a new FO and coach staff we could be competitive in 2021.
2020 is lost so the roster retooling should be the main thing here. And as with any retool/rebuild. Start at the lines. 2 OL guys at least. NT.
Then add some hopeful starters to the back 7 in middle rounds of draft and cheap FA (LB, FS, CB). And acquire some depth, ST guys in late rounds.

In 2021 they can address if we need QB, replace the RB, and perhaps add a couple more pieces to the lines (Cam, is Yan still here, Calais certianly will be gone by then)
And likely (hopefully) have a better cap situation to dive into FA with a splash signing.

We got some easy cuts to make... Lee, Ryan, Conley, Cann, to name a few.
We gotta make some hard cuts this year. Calais and Dareus, barring restructuring by either. Linder possibly.
Gotta get the cap right and try to retain Yannick and have some wiggle room for cheap FA and 2021.

The toughest task of the new front office will be the QB situation. Can they rid themselves of Foles and his contract? They can, it's possible to eat dead cap or perhaps trade with mid-late round picks. But will they. Time will tell.

A complete overhaul isn't needed. There is talent here. There are young guys who undoubtedly will improve (especially if given the right coaches)
But look for 2020 to be another tough year, perhaps netting similar (or worse) results to our current 4 win season.

(12-11-2019, 10:37 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 05:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree. 

I'd add the lack of a run stuffing nose tackle to that short list, but I agree. 
I think 4 upgraded starters on defense and as few as 3 on offense would go a long way with improved coaching. 
We have the draft capital and ways to make room for a couple of FA signings.

Agreed.

And depending on the coaching hires, I believe our defense is ripe for a switch to a 3-4. It’s time to get the best players on the field and having Allen and Yan in a rotational isn’t going to cut it.
Agree, I would love to switch too a 3-4.  This year would be the perfect time to do it

(12-11-2019, 10:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 10:37 AM)knarnn Wrote: Agreed.

Agree, I would love to switch too a 3-4.  This year would be the perfect time to do it

I wouldn't rule it out. It just depends on who we hire as a head coach and what system they wanna run. We have great candidates in Ngakoue and Allen to play OLB. Campbell and Smoot would be very good 3-4 DE's. We definitely need a NT, whether we switch to a 3-4 or not and we need another ILB. Maybe Jack wouldn't look so lost, if he had help on the inside. It'll certainly be interesting to see if such a move happens.

(12-11-2019, 12:55 AM)MojoKing Wrote: Would anyone be down for us hiring a new GM, and letting Tom coach again?

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM by Mikey.)

I voted blank #2 because the options presented didn't quite fit.

Tom must go. There is a rift between him and everyone else below him, and until that is fixed, we will have little success bringing in GM, coaches, or players that do not want to be micromanaged.
The coaching staffs (stalves?) must go. We are underprepared on a weekly basis. There is no flexibility in gameplan when the current plans are not working.
I'm on the fence about our GM. We have done well to acquire talent in the draft. High-dollar free agency has been our achilles heel, but because of the subversion by the EVP, I don't know how much of those moves are attributed to the GM, or if they were just following marching orders.

The roster has a few bright spots. We are young in a number of areas, and show potential. However, everything in the retool/rebuild debate depends on the staff charged with righting the ship. Are they going to be a play action, run-focused offense, or are we going to be a finesse team that relies on scheming over brute force? Do we move to a different defensive alignment? Do we continue to build a defense on speed and turnovers, or focus on physical dominance at the line?

If I had to lean in one direction, it would be retooling. We have some young talent to build around. If we go full blow it up and build the roster from ground zero, the franchise may not survive.

1) I don't think Tom wants to coach any longer.
2) If Tom took over, he may alienate the remaining talent on the roster.
3) You're crazy. Don't ever say I am no good at taking direction.

First and foremost, fire everyone.

Then you have to decide what the plan is for the next 3-4 years. Ideally the new coaching with a few new additions is enough to get them to .500 range next year, but I could argue if you aren't making playoffs you may as well be bad again and maximize your pick to get a QB. So its possibly to do a mini reset, cut some of our better vets like calais and bouye, lose a lot of games and then head into 2021 with either a QB who has proved himself (minshew) or with a QB you've taken in 2020

(12-11-2019, 11:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 10:59 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agree, I would love to switch too a 3-4.  This year would be the perfect time to do it

I wouldn't rule it out. It just depends on who we hire as a head coach and what system they wanna run. We have great candidates in Ngakoue and Allen to play OLB. Campbell and Smoot would be very good 3-4 DE's. We definitely need a NT, whether we switch to a 3-4 or not and we need another ILB. Maybe Jack wouldn't look so lost, if he had help on the inside. It'll certainly be interesting to see if such a move happens.

It's do-able. Definitely have to nail that nose tackle pick in the draft or free agency if they go this route. 
Jack could be the will ILB but we'd need a stud Mike next to him IMO. 
Adding a big 3/4 DE would help too.  Calais and Smoot would work but will need quality rotation. 
Still need a CB to upgrade Herndon and a free safety to upgrade Wilson. 
Harrison could play bandit safety just fine. 

Basically the only difference of "needs" would be adding a "big end" that we don't necessarily need if we stay in a 4/3.

(12-11-2019, 11:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: First and foremost, fire everyone.  

Then you have to decide what the plan is for the next 3-4 years. Ideally the new coaching with a few new additions is enough to get them to .500 range next year, but I could argue if you aren't making playoffs you may as well be bad again and maximize your pick to get a QB. So its possibly to do a mini reset, cut some of our better vets like calais and bouye, lose a lot of games and then head into 2021 with either a QB who has proved himself (minshew) or with a QB you've taken in 2020

Gonna be tough for Minshew to prove himself if he has no help at all.
I mean, I get what you're saying about maximizing your cap and picks... but we have got to attempt to at least fix as much of the offensive issues (line and weapons) this off season to give him a legit shot to prove himself. If we lose a lot in shoot outs people will be more likely to believe we're an average defense away from competing.

(12-11-2019, 11:18 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: First and foremost, fire everyone.  

Gonna be tough for Minshew to prove himself if he has no help at all.
I mean, I get what you're saying about maximizing your cap and picks... but we have got to attempt to at least fix as much of the offensive issues (line and weapons) this off season to give him a legit shot to prove himself. If we lose a lot in shoot outs people will be more likely to believe we're an average defense away from competing.

i'm not saying don't try fix them, i'm saying winning in 2020 doesn't have to be the main goal. i.e if you're going to win 6 games you may as well win 3 and maximize your draft pick for the QBs.   

The likelihood is they aren't a competitive enough team for playoffs next year anyway, so you need to set your sights on what the best alternatives are, that should be maximizing the future and if possible see what Minshew has

(12-11-2019, 11:35 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:18 AM)Kane Wrote: Gonna be tough for Minshew to prove himself if he has no help at all.

i'm not saying don't try fix them, i'm saying winning in 2020 doesn't have to be the main goal. i.e if you're going to win 6 games you may as well win 3 and maximize your draft pick for the QBs.   

The likelihood is they aren't a competitive enough team for playoffs next year anyway, so you need to set your sights on what the best alternatives are, that should be maximizing the future and if possible see what Minshew has

Oh I fully agree. But if we're attempting to give Minshew just one year to prove to us, I'd hate for him to be blamed for us only winning 3 games as opposed to 6. If we semi-tanking, I say we do it through losing games 40-35. As opposed to being more conservative with cuts across 2 off seasons and trying to rebuild both sides of the ball equally.

(12-11-2019, 11:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't rule it out. It just depends on who we hire as a head coach and what system they wanna run. We have great candidates in Ngakoue and Allen to play OLB. Campbell and Smoot would be very good 3-4 DE's. We definitely need a NT, whether we switch to a 3-4 or not and we need another ILB. Maybe Jack wouldn't look so lost, if he had help on the inside. It'll certainly be interesting to see if such a move happens.

It's do-able. Definitely have to nail that nose tackle pick in the draft or free agency if they go this route. 
Adding a big 3/4 DE would help too.  Calais and Smoot would work but will need quality rotation. 

Basically the only difference of "needs" would be adding a "big end" that we don't necessarily need if we stay in a 4/3.

Call up Datone Jones, who’s surprisingly still a FA.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-11-2019, 11:55 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's do-able. Definitely have to nail that nose tackle pick in the draft or free agency if they go this route. 

Call up Datone Jones, who’s surprisingly still a FA.

I would have brought him back in September if I were calling shots.

This fan base can not handle anymore tanking. We need to field a competitive team next year. I will take 8-8. Tanking for a decade got us no where.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 01:00 PM by JackCity.)

(12-11-2019, 12:57 PM)Newton Wrote: This fan base can not handle anymore tanking. We need to field a competitive team next year. I will take 8-8. Tanking for a decade got us no where.

because we never got a QB. Not being competitive as we possibly can be next year might be the best way to finally solve the QB spot with Fields or Lawrence in the draft. If Minshew balls out, great, we probably win games and have a franchise qb, if not, we likely lose games and should attempt to lose as much as possible.