Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How much would you clean house?
Keep Coughlin, fire Caldwell and entire coaching staff, retool roster
Keep front office, fire coaching staff, retool roster
Blow it up. New FO, new staff and major roster cuts.
New FO, new staff and retool roster
New FO, new staff and retool roster INCLUDING drafting QB
blank #2
[Show Results]

Rebuild Vs Retool

(12-11-2019, 02:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 12:28 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just curious how can you argue keeping Coughlin and Caldwell but then realize this roster is full of holes after years of building?  Their main job is to Acquire enough talent to be competitive and they have failed.  There have been too many draft picks and too much money spent for our roster to look like this.

For the record, I voted New FO, New Staff, and retool roster.  I am not denying Caldwell/Cough acquired some staff but their average is horrible.  Given enough shots you are bound to hit a couple.   If you add up all the draft capital this team has had over the last few years combined with the high draft picks the results are just horrendous.

Yeah, but this is like 90 percent Caldwell and 10 percent Coughlin.

Coughlin has been overwatching decisions like drafting Fournette at #4 with much better value available, extending Blake Bortles, signing Nick Foles, signing Norwell, and extending Myles Jack prematurely only for him to play terribly in response. 

That's more than 10 percent of why we suck right now IMO, and that's only the short list.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-11-2019, 03:16 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 03:05 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rebuilding/Retooling the roster without having your franchise QB is meaningless. Yes we want guys in place for the QB to succeed, but if you just try and build around the QB we are going to get 2017 again. A one and done thing. The only way to maintain success in the league is having a QB. Again, it’s the ONLY way!

If Minshew isnt the guy, go get Burrow. We are looking at probably another top 5 pick, it won’t take the farm. Do whatever to get the QB situation fixed, and if there is no guy available then tank for Trevor Lawrence.

The staff... the rest of the roster.. is worthless without a QB.

What if Minshew IS the guy?

BTW, Troy Aikman is saying he'd like a shot at being a HC.

(12-11-2019, 03:16 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: you forgot the most imporent choice of all.     a mircle is needed to fix the jags!!!

Throughout his tenure in the NFL, Tom Coughlin has been one of the best at obtaining miracles for his teams.
If Minshew is the guy, that'd be awesome. Some who gets paid needs to make that decision, and that means dedicating the next couple of seasons and resources to surround him with the best you can. 
(12-11-2019, 03:20 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 03:05 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Rebuilding/Retooling the roster without having your franchise QB is meaningless. Yes we want guys in place for the QB to succeed, but if you just try and build around the QB we are going to get 2017 again. A one and done thing. The only way to maintain success in the league is having a QB. Again, it’s the ONLY way!

If Minshew isnt the guy, go get Burrow. We are looking at probably another top 5 pick, it won’t take the farm. Do whatever to get the QB situation fixed, and if there is no guy available then tank for Trevor Lawrence.

The staff... the rest of the roster.. is worthless without a QB.

Go get Burrow

as if it is that easy.

Minshew could be the guy, we just need to actually put a team out there.
OL is trash, gotta start there with 2-3 draft picks on the OL and 1 or 2 DL guys added via draft and/or FA.
Also, need at least one CB.

This ain't all getting done in this off season. Burrow isn't an option and mortgaging all of our premier picks this year and next to go get him would be silly with no OL to protect him.

We are looking at a top 5 pick the way things are going, it won't cripple the team to move up a couple slots to get him. We been "rebuilding/retooling" the past literal decade and some...of our past 13 drafts, 12 of them have been top 10 picks. TOP 10 picks. That is 100% explained by the misses of Leftwich, Gabbert, and Bortles. The other picks don't lead to that. I'd be ecstatic if Minshew is the guy believe me. I am rooting for him.  I like him, but is he just a guy or THE guy?

(12-11-2019, 06:26 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: We are looking at a top 5 pick the way things are going, it won't cripple the team to move up a couple slots to get him. We been "rebuilding/retooling" the past literal decade and some...of our past 13 drafts, 12 of them have been top 10 picks. TOP 10 picks. That is 100% explained by the misses of Leftwich, Gabbert, and Bortles. The other picks don't lead to that. I'd be ecstatic if Minshew is the guy believe me. I am rooting for him.  I like him, but is he just a guy or THE guy?

All 4 of our first rounders wouldn't be enough to move up to get him, unfortunately.

(12-10-2019, 05:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 05:34 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Clean out the FO and coaching staff and retool the roster.  We aren't as far away as we look right now.  There are so many things that are results of scheme and coaching.  The only two areas that really need severe revamping are the offensive line and the Lbs.

I agree. 

I'd add the lack of a run stuffing nose tackle to that short list, but I agree. 
I think 4 upgraded starters on defense and as few as 3 on offense would go a long way with improved coaching. 
We have the draft capital and ways to make room for a couple of FA signings.

So are you on the blow up the FO train then? I'm all for new coaches, I agree that we're not as far away as we look...like at ALL. But these players have given up and we just look out coached every single game now. 

I still think we have talent and that talent for the most part has been drafted by Caldwell/Coughlin. I understand the desperation FA signings havent played out well, although some did (Church, Darreus, etc), but those are not reasons to totally clean out a guy and his team who've been pretty damn on point in the last few drafts, with the exception of being over confident in Bortles and not drafting a QB high enough because of that as wellaas signing Foles for wayyy too much cap hit. 

Maybe make Caldwell a lead scout or something lol. He's clearly good at drafting talented players. IDK just would hate to see a guy who's been this good at finding talent all the way through the later rounds let totally go.

(12-11-2019, 08:43 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 05:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I agree. 

I'd add the lack of a run stuffing nose tackle to that short list, but I agree. 
I think 4 upgraded starters on defense and as few as 3 on offense would go a long way with improved coaching. 
We have the draft capital and ways to make room for a couple of FA signings.

So are you on the blow up the FO train then? I'm all for new coaches, I agree that we're not as far away as we look...like at ALL. But these players have given up and we just look out coached every single game now. 

I still think we have talent and that talent for the most part has been drafted by Caldwell/Coughlin. I understand the desperation FA signings havent played out well, although some did (Church, Darreus, etc), but those are not reasons to totally clean out a guy and his team who've been pretty damn on point in the last few drafts, with the exception of being over confident in Bortles and not drafting a QB high enough because of that as wellaas signing Foles for wayyy too much cap hit. 

Maybe make Caldwell a lead scout or something lol. He's clearly good at drafting talented players. IDK just would hate to see a guy who's been this good at finding talent all the way through the later rounds let totally go.

I feel that what has happened at QB, OL and LB have doomed the EVP and GM.

I feel that what has happened with 115 penalties thus far has doomed this coaching staff. 

I'd start over with all of these and retool the roster at LT, RG, DT(NT), CB, FS, MLB, and TE.

Dave is so good at finding talent that after 7 of his drafts we just went through the worst stretch any team in the NFL has in over 30 years.

All staff most go.

I would probably lean towards a drastic version of retooling bordering on dynamiting the whole roster.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2019, 10:43 AM by Mikey.)

(12-11-2019, 12:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:55 AM)knarnn Wrote: Call up Datone Jones, who’s surprisingly still a FA.

I would have brought him back in September if I were calling shots.

I think I've already called for your nomination as a GM candidate, this only cements your resume.

(12-11-2019, 02:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 12:28 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just curious how can you argue keeping Coughlin and Caldwell but then realize this roster is full of holes after years of building?  Their main job is to Acquire enough talent to be competitive and they have failed.  There have been too many draft picks and too much money spent for our roster to look like this.

For the record, I voted New FO, New Staff, and retool roster.  I am not denying Caldwell/Cough acquired some staff but their average is horrible.  Given enough shots you are bound to hit a couple.   If you add up all the draft capital this team has had over the last few years combined with the high draft picks the results are just horrendous.

Yeah, but this is like 90 percent Caldwell and 10 percent Coughlin.

Straight up, if we're re-doing everything, we've seen some of the actions Khan has taken on his own like Mularkey, etc... some ugly stuff... he needs a football guy in place... not some relative working on analytics to make these calls. The Jaguars made the AFCC the first year back with Coughlin heading things up so I'm all for letting him make these tough calls and seeing if he can put together a SB-winning team. He took the Giants to the SB twice as HC and took the Jaguars to the AFCC now three times.

I think most fans just blame him for Ramsey and want his head, but that's too shallow an outlook. Would you really have some analytics guy who can't even win in soccer make these oh-so-critical calls? At least Coughlin is a football guy who we know cares about this franchise. Give him a chance to blow it up himself.

We did that once, and so did he.

One might say that we never recovered from that destruction.

(12-11-2019, 02:26 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:08 AM)Mikey Wrote: I voted blank #2 because the options presented didn't quite fit.

Tom must go. There is a rift between him and everyone else below him, and until that is fixed, we will have little success bringing in GM, coaches, or players that do not want to be micromanaged.

If Tom were to personally replace the Jags brass underneath him, suddenly all those rifts are gone. Part of the "rift" is that Khan had a GM and HC, etc, in place already and then brought TC in. That rarely sits well. It might be different with TC in charge of his own guys.

But if Tom were hired to manage the day-to-day operations in Shad's absence, that would include working with the team Shad had already put together. You're saying that undermining those people and helping them fail their way out of town is sitting well with Shad? Or that this was the intent of him bringing Tom in, without letting him purge the staff that conflicts with his (or Shad's) vision?

At this point, I think he's poison. You either are stuck with letting him run the entire show, as you propose, or you are going to be picking from a very limited pool of yes-men candidates that are willing to hold a title but relinquish all their responsibility to a micromanager. Nobody is going to be seeking out our vacancies if they know that they are not going to have liberty to take measures as they see fit to turn things around.

The real question is whether Shad sees Tom as poison, or cure.

Here's a twitter poll for any of you that still consider keeping one of the heads of the proverbial snake.
(EVP, GM, HC)

https://twitter.com/md_1010xl/status/120...06753?s=20

(12-12-2019, 10:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's a twitter poll for any of you that still consider keeping one of the heads of the proverbial snake.
(EVP, GM, HC)

I hope there's no votes. Silence sometimes speaks louder than words.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-12-2019, 11:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-12-2019, 10:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's a twitter poll for any of you that still consider keeping one of the heads of the proverbial snake.
(EVP, GM, HC)

I hope there's no votes. Silence sometimes speaks louder than words.
 So far - folks are voting that they'd keep Marrone out of the three (44%)
Then 36% say Caldwell and finally... gulp...
only 19% would retain Coughlin.

(12-12-2019, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-12-2019, 11:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I hope there's no votes. Silence sometimes speaks louder than words.
 So far - folks are voting that they'd keep Marrone out of the three (44%)
Then 36% say Caldwell and finally... gulp...
only 19% would retain Coughlin.

That's disturbing. They need to be running these things through us. Don't they know the Football God's and Know-It-All's dwell on this board for this team? 

[Image: giphy.gif]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Coughlin gotta go. #ByeFelicia. I'm ok with keeping Caldwell and getting rid of him. Either or works. Full revamp of coaching staff, minus Keenan. I think he's done a good job developing our WRs overall.

I'm good with seeing what we can do with Minshew. However, this QB class could be decent, so I'm thinking we should probably draft one too. The problem is, where do we draft one. If we draft early, then they would eventually be taking over for Minshew. If we draft late, we miss a lot of the talent (supposedly). I think we gotta draft Oline, TE, and major defense in draft. Campbell will retire, we need huge linebacker help because Myles needs to move back outside, and we need safety and CB help too.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Everyone has to go. You can't have any more holdovers. It's only resulted in failures across the board. When you have mixed philosophies and approaches to the game it tends to end with mixed results. And that's exactly what has happened here over the last three years.

We need one General Manager & one Head Coach on one path that aligns together with the same approach to the game and same philosophy on a how a team should look from top, down. Otherwise we'll just be having this same damn discussion in 2022 / 2023.

[Image: z37ewa6elnwz.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2019, 02:05 PM by Upper.)

Obviously I started the all 3 heads have to be cut off metaphor, but I too voted for Marrone on that poll. I gained some respect for him with the way he handled the media storm when it came to Ramsey and since then. He's not good at his job, but he's not a snake. Coughlin and Marrone are both bad at their jobs and snakes.

(12-12-2019, 02:05 PM)Upper Wrote: Obviously I started the all 3 heads have to be cut off metaphor, but I too voted for Marrone on that poll. I gained some respect for him with the way he handled the media storm when it came to Ramsey and since then. He's not good at his job, but he's not a snake. Coughlin and Marrone are both bad at their jobs and snakes.

The [BLEEP] does that even mean???

(EVP, GM, HC)

If I had to keep only one of the three I would probably select Caldwell.  While I like Doug Marrone, I just don't think he has done a good enough job to remain HC.

(12-12-2019, 02:05 PM)Upper Wrote: Obviously I started the all 3 heads have to be cut off metaphor, but I too voted for Marrone on that poll. I gained some respect for him with the way he handled the media storm when it came to Ramsey and since then. He's not good at his job, but he's not a snake. Coughlin and Marrone are both bad at their jobs and snakes.

So Marrone is "not a snake" then in your next sentence you say that he's a snake.  Which is it?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-12-2019, 03:21 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(EVP, GM, HC)

If I had to keep only one of the three I would probably select Caldwell.  While I like Doug Marrone, I just don't think he has done a good enough job to remain HC.

So Marrone is "not a snake" then in your next sentence you say that he's a snake.  Which is it?

Oops was typing too fast. Marrone is not a snake, Caldwell and Coughlin are. All 3 are bad at their jobs too.

(12-12-2019, 03:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

The [BLEEP] does that even mean???

I think Coughlin and Caldwell are not only bad at their jobs, but also dishonest brokers who have put themselves ahead of what is best for the franchise, thrown players and coaches under the bus, and then threw Marrone to the media wolves when the heat was on the most while they hid in the corner.