Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4.4net

(12-15-2019, 01:32 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote: Through the first half of the season whenever the OL was brought up it was that they were awful in pass pro but they sure as hell could road grade in the run game.

Not hardly. When it was mentioned, it was generally about the tackles and how they were better at run blocking then pass protection. This is true by the way. The interior line on the other hand has been a weak spot (Norwell and Cann are at best below average and Linder in spite of being a popular player is physically overmatched more times than not). Fournette has his faults as a player no doubt but he's also performed well this season and that should be recognized.

Go back and read the post about Norwell being a bust. There were more than a few people defending him as not as bust because he has been a dominant run blocker this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2019, 02:41 PM by JackCity.)

Cam, Norwell and Linder were run blocking v wellover the first half for sure.

Also Linder doesn't really get physically outmatched. He's mostly been the same guy he always has , just been targeted for by tons of whistles this season

(12-15-2019, 11:43 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 10:04 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I think people need to be reminded we passed on Mahomes Watson and McCaffrey for Fournette.

It's always easy with hindsight.

Yeah, it's not like the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes because they saw something.

You really think Texans, Panthers or Chiefs would have taken Fournette instead of their guys?

But you are right, afterall it's not like the FO guys are getting paid millions to find talent, right? we should go easy on them.

(12-15-2019, 05:46 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 11:43 AM)hb1148 Wrote: It's always easy with hindsight.

Yeah, it's not like the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes because they saw something.

You really think Texans, Panthers or Chiefs would have taken Fournette instead of their guys?

But you are right, afterall it's not like the FO guys are getting paid millions to find talent, right? we should go easy on them.

No, we should hold them to account for results. What I'm saying is you pretending that you knew how these picks were going to work out at the time is ridiculous. It's easy to second guess when you see how things work out after the fact.

(12-15-2019, 02:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cam, Norwell and Linder were run blocking v wellover the first half for sure.

Also Linder doesn't really get physically outmatched. He's mostly been the same guy he always has , just been targeted for by tons of whistles this season

Cam is ok in run blocking. Linder is ok sometimes but he's been getting beat a lot this year. He's been getting hit with a lot of penalties. Norwell has been a disappointment since he got here.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-15-2019, 06:32 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 05:46 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah, it's not like the Chiefs traded up for Mahomes because they saw something.

No, we should hold them to account for results. What I'm saying is you pretending that you knew how these picks were going to work out at the time is ridiculous. It's easy to second guess when you see how things work out after the fact.

(12-15-2019, 02:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: Cam, Norwell and Linder were run blocking v wellover the first half for sure.

Cam is ok in run blocking. Linder is ok sometimes but he's been getting beat a lot this year. He's been getting hit with a lot of penalties. Norwell has been a disappointment since he got here.

Cams one of the best run blocking left tackles in the league. Linder hasn't allowed any sacks and is around the same in pressure rate as he always is. 

Yeah Norwell has been a disappointment, thats not what i'm referring to though, just the fact that him, linder and Cam were run blocking really well over the first half of the year

Don’t forget Fournette had one game where he only had 9 carries and another game where he only had 8 carries.

And for all the criticism he got coming out of LSU is he couldn’t catch, and he couldn’t run out of the shotgun, he put that to rest.

I haven’t looked at the stats but he has to be 1st or 2nd in receptions on the team, and probably top 5 in the NFL for receptions by a RB.

He still leads the league for most yards after contact and faces the most stacked boxes. If our front office can build around Minshew it will take some pressure off Fournette and it will work both ways.

I'm really happy that Fournette has responded to the challenge levied by the team. Comparing him to some of the other guys that have been called out on their professionalism, he's used it to grow. A lot of lesser character athletes would have packed it in once the playoffs were out of reach.

That said, I can't the be only one screaming at the field whenever he's out there trying to juke a guy instead of putting the head down and plowing over a would-be tackler, right? He's also showing a tendency to run away from the play, seeing it as a 'hole', but ends up in no man's land without a blocker nearby. I hope the coaches are working on that. Sure, run to a hole if it appears, but sometimes running with blockers, even if there is contact inevitable, may result in a bigger play than an unblocked defender catching you trying to run counter to the rest of the play.

He seems like he has turned his life around, but I can't see a scenario where he sticks around or we can even justify keeping him around. You can't pay RB's and continue to sustain success.

(12-16-2019, 11:03 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You can't pay RB's and continue to sustain success.

What if you aren't sustaining success to begin with?

Fournette will end up in Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

He is just an avg. running back getting a hell of a lot of volume.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(12-16-2019, 05:21 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Fournette will end up in Baltimore or Pittsburgh.
He would be a monster right now in Baltimore.

San Francisco or Seattle would be good fits for him too.

I like him. He's done the best he can this year. Not sure if they'll keep him after next year but I would like to see him stay onboard with a new staff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I have a love hate relationship with him. Watching him run with his stutters angers me. Watching him catch a clutch pass or block is beautiful. I wouldn’t mind having a fast moving juking type back to compliment him. Not sure I like him getting all of the touches.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019, 06:51 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(12-15-2019, 08:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 07:59 AM)Rico Wrote: You're kidding me right?  An average running back, taken with the NUMBER FOUR PICK, is your reasoning for keeping Coughlin?

I've been critical of Fournette in the past but the guy has the 4th most yards from scrimmage with a less than stellar interior offensive line. Give credit where it's due.

Fournette probably has the most carries in the nfl. Thank our offensive sceme for that. I would bet dollars to donuts he has the most negative yard carries as well. He is not a special back and unless his vision and decision making improves he will not be one. He is as aothers have said an average back getting a ton of volume.

Also Fournette is not the leader in carries against 8 men in the box. There are multiple backs ahead of him including ancient Adrian Peterson

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...r_by=yards

Fournette has had 56 rushes for negative yardage this year out of 250 attempts. He gets stuffed over 22% of the time. Lets compare to a 2000 3rd year Freddy T. 55 loss out of 293 attempts. For an 18.8% loss.

While that difference is significant, its not as big as I expected. Still Fournette losses yards too much.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019, 07:19 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-17-2019, 06:47 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 08:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I've been critical of Fournette in the past but the guy has the 4th most yards from scrimmage with a less than stellar interior offensive line. Give credit where it's due.

Fournette probably has the most carries in the nfl. Thank our offensive sceme for that. I would bet dollars to donuts he has the most negative yard carries as well. He is not a special back and unless his vision and decision making improves he will not be one. He is as aothers have said an average back getting a ton of volume.

Also Fournette is not the leader in carries against 8 men in the box. There are multiple backs ahead of him including ancient Adrian Peterson

There are 5 RBs who have more carries than Fournette.   

Also to be said in his favor, he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield and he's a very good pass blocker.  He has 73 receptions for 488 yards this year.  That puts him 3rd among RBs in receptions, and 5th among RBs in receiving yards.  

He's 11th in number of carries against an 8 man box, but among those 11 RBs, only Derrick Henry has more yards.  A few others have more yards per carry.  

I agree he's not a special back, and probably should have been picked much later in the first round, but it's not like he's running behind a great offensive line.

(12-17-2019, 06:47 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(12-15-2019, 08:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I've been critical of Fournette in the past but the guy has the 4th most yards from scrimmage with a less than stellar interior offensive line. Give credit where it's due.

He's got the 6th most carries overall behind guys like Derick Henry and Nick Chubb and McCaffery etc. Of the 5 guys with more yardage overall, only Henry has more carries against 8+ men fronts. Listen, he doesn't have much wiggle and he isn't the best at staying on his feet after contact but you guys should start acknowledging his production for what it is and stop trying to make up excuses for it.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-17-2019, 08:05 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:47 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Fournette probably has the most carries in the nfl. Thank our offensive sceme for that. I would bet dollars to donuts he has the most negative yard carries as well. He is not a special back and unless his vision and decision making improves he will not be one. He is as aothers have said an average back getting a ton of volume.

He's got the 6th most carries overall behind guys like Derick Henry and Nick Chubb and McCaffery etc. Of the 5 guys with more yardage overall, only Henry has more carries against 8+ men fronts. Listen, he doesn't have much wiggle and he isn't the best at staying on his feet after contact but you guys should start acknowledging his production for what it is and stop trying to make up excuses for it.

Lol, I have made no excuses for him. I just don't think he is special, just like Linder, Shorts, and the myriad other players that get blown up on this board and go on to be average.

(12-17-2019, 08:05 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 06:47 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Fournette probably has the most carries in the nfl. Thank our offensive sceme for that. I would bet dollars to donuts he has the most negative yard carries as well. He is not a special back and unless his vision and decision making improves he will not be one. He is as aothers have said an average back getting a ton of volume.

Going back to my post, I said he was an average back.  02 was using Fournette as some sort of validation of keeping Coughlin (which seems pretty irrelevant now).  No it's not Fournette's fault that he was drafted with the fourth pick, which was never the point that I was trying to make.  But he was not worth the fourth pick and that is squarely on the FO.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-17-2019, 08:24 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 08:05 AM)hb1148 Wrote: He's got the 6th most carries overall behind guys like Derick Henry and Nick Chubb and McCaffery etc. Of the 5 guys with more yardage overall, only Henry has more carries against 8+ men fronts. Listen, he doesn't have much wiggle and he isn't the best at staying on his feet after contact but you guys should start acknowledging his production for what it is and stop trying to make up excuses for it.

Going back to my post, I said he was an average back.  02 was using Fournette as some sort of validation of keeping Coughlin (which seems pretty irrelevant now).  No it's not Fournette's fault that he was drafted with the fourth pick, which was never the point that I was trying to make.  But he was not worth the fourth pick and that is squarely on the FO.

Knowing what we know now, based only on this year, I would say he would have been worth a late first round pick.  He's not special, for sure, but he's pretty good.  He's become an all-around running/receiving/blocking running back.  I don't think he needs to be replaced just because he's not Barry Sanders.  He's a good player.  His problem is he's a downhill runner who gets hit in the backfield way too often.  He needs holes to run through to be more effective than he already is.  

And if you want to point to this as a failure of the FO, there are much bigger failures to point to.  You don't even need this one to make the case.