Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - Now back to #7

Had we lost we would have moved from 7 to 6, but Giants and Redskins play next week meaning we had #5 in the bag........ but we went and won.  Now we are #8.  Would have been 9 but somehow Atlanta beat SF.

It would appear that the best our pick can be is #4. But it's close.  We will finish behind Cincy no matter what.

We will fall behind the loser of Giants/Redskins. 

So our best is #3.  But schedule isn't favorable, so about 6 is probably where we'll be.

Despite Rams loss their pick remains #20.  It will remain no worse than 20 as long as Rams don't make playoffs. And officially they have 5% chance of that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It sucks. Had we lost this meaningless game to a bad team, we would have jumped the Cardinals, our main competition for NT Derrick Brown. We would have had about an 80% chance to land him. By winning, I'd drop that down to about 40%.

(12-16-2019, 12:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It sucks. Had we lost this meaningless game to a bad team, we would have jumped the Cardinals, our main competition for NT Derrick Brown. We would have had about an 80% chance to land him. By winning, I'd drop that down to about 40%.

Winning and losing is a measure of what kind of team you have.  Winning means we have a better team to go into next season.  That's why winning is always better than losing.  A 7-9 team is demonstrably better than a 4-12 team.  A 7-9 team has better prospects for the next season than a 4-12 team.  

Losing means you suck.  Look at the good teams around the league.  Do they get better by sucking?  Hell, no.  We won't get better by sucking either.

(12-16-2019, 12:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It sucks. Had we lost this meaningless game to a bad team, we would have jumped the Cardinals, our main competition for NT Derrick Brown. We would have had about an 80% chance to land him. By winning, I'd drop that down to about 40%.
Depends. I still think they'll lean towards offensive tackle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We went from 7 to 8 and people are mad we won lol. I've always hated to lose in anything, my whole family is like that. Can tell the ones who never really minded it I guess. I'm just hoping Minshew and the Jags can win out

My other thing too is that we could still land Javon Kinlaw at DT. We're hurting bad up the middle. I wouldn't even mind Isaiah Simmons with our top ten pick now at ILB.

That fixes your defense. You're already set on the edge. Add Kinlaw to the middle and Simmons at ILB? Nice moves.

Move Jack outside. I know we need some help on the offensive line. We might land Becton, Adams or Tega Wanogho in RD2 to help that out a bit.

But I think we need to make the middle of the defense stronger first.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 09:09 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-16-2019, 08:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: My other thing too is that we could still land Javon Kinlaw at DT. We're hurting bad up the middle. I wouldn't even mind Isaiah Simmons with our top ten pick now at ILB.

That fixes your defense. You're already set on the edge. Add Kinlaw to the middle and Simmons at ILB? Nice moves.

Move Jack outside. I know we need some help on the offensive line. We might land Becton, Adams or Tega Wanogho in RD2 to help that out a bit.

Getting a guy like Kenneth Murray and moving Jack to WLB could help this D a ton.  As long as we hit on a MLB it would upgrade 2 LB positions with 1 pick.  I haven't paid attention to Murray much over the years but he looked great in that Baylor game.  Can't wait to watch him against LSU.  Also if Simmons can have the size to play MLB.  A MLB to me is just as important as finding our NT and maybe even more because he will be the leader of our D.  Murray to me looks like Devon Bush who the Steelers took early last year

I think LSU will beat Oklahoma but I want to see Murray dominant on the D when they play and that will tell us how good he really is, same with Simmons against Ohio St. The 2 players I will be watching the most in the college playoffs

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-16-2019, 07:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Winning and losing is a measure of what kind of team you have.  Winning means we have a better team to go into next season.  That's why winning is always better than losing.  A 7-9 team is demonstrably better than a 4-12 team.  A 7-9 team has better prospects for the next season than a 4-12 team.  

Losing means you suck.  Look at the good teams around the league.  Do they get better by sucking?  Hell, no.  We won't get better by sucking either.

Yes. The way the draft is set up, it is designed to help the teams that suck, get better. They have first shot at the best players in the draft. For the most part, teams that finish 7-9 seem to be stuck in that "wasteland" of mediocrity for a long time. I DESPISE mediocrity. Teams that hit rock bottom have nowhere to go, but up. Mediocre teams need to sink a lot lower before things get better. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom, before you can improve.

(12-16-2019, 07:25 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
Depends. I still think they'll lean towards offensive tackle.

I doubt we get one with that first pick in round 1, because I believe Thomas and Wirfs will both be gone by the time we pick. As for the #20 selection, it depends. If USC LT Austin Jackson declares, I would not hesitate to draft him there.

(12-16-2019, 08:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We went from 7 to 8 and people are mad we won lol. I've always hated to lose in anything, my whole family is like that.  Can tell the ones who never really minded it I guess.  I'm just hoping Minshew and the Jags can win out

Even if that meant that Khan would decide to retain Coughlin, Caldwell and the entire coaching staff? That would be a real possibility if we won out. If that happens, I probably wouldn't even bother to watch football in 2020, because it would just be more of the same. No hope at all.

(12-16-2019, 08:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: My other thing too is that we could still land Javon Kinlaw at DT. We're hurting bad up the middle. I wouldn't even mind Isaiah Simmons with our top ten pick now at ILB.

While I love Kinlaw and believe he could play NT, I don't think he'd be as effective against the run as Brown or a couple other prospects. Now if we were to sign Jordan Phillips in free agency to play NT and draft Kinlaw as a 3 technique, I'd be down with that. As for Simmons, he is long and lean and is a coverage OLB. He is 6'4" 230 lbs. That's not nearly "beefy"enough to play MLB. If we were to draft Simmons, it would be to play WLB. 

Personally, I hate Becton.  He's almost 370 lbs. and has slow feet. I see him as a RT only and I don't know if he'd even pan out there. I love Trey Adams, but I believe he may go in late round 1 and Tega Wanogo needs to add strength IMO. He is 6'7" and only 305 lbs. At that height, I'd like to see him more like 320 lbs. He is far from a finished product. He struggles to finish his blocks. 

If we can't get Derrick Brown, we must sign Jordan Phillips in free agency and I'd look to add a NT like John Penisini of Utah in that round 4-5 area. He is graded as the best run stuffer on the Nation's #1 run defense.

I'm good on taking an LB in the first and can probably make a stronger argument for other positions in the 2nd

(12-16-2019, 09:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Getting a guy like Kenneth Murray and moving Jack to WLB could help this D a ton.  As long as we hit on a MLB it would upgrade 2 LB positions with 1 pick.  I haven't paid attention to Murray much over the years but he looked great in that Baylor game.  Can't wait to watch him against LSU.  Also if Simmons can have the size to play MLB.  A MLB to me is just as important as finding our NT and maybe even more because he will be the leader of our D.  Murray to me looks like Devon Bush who the Steelers took early last year

I think LSU will beat Oklahoma but I want to see Murray dominant on the D when they play and that will tell us how good he really is, same with Simmons against Ohio St.  The 2 players I will be watching the most in the college playoffs

As much as I totally agree about needing a true MLB, I really don't see the team moving Jack. If anything, I see us looking for a NT and a WLB to try and address the run defense. Perhaps we could draft a true MLB late in the draft, but I really think they will give Jack every opportunity to prove himself at MLB in 2020, even though I disagree. I'd love to have Murray though.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-16-2019, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 09:07 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Getting a guy like Kenneth Murray and moving Jack to WLB could help this D a ton.  As long as we hit on a MLB it would upgrade 2 LB positions with 1 pick.  I haven't paid attention to Murray much over the years but he looked great in that Baylor game.  Can't wait to watch him against LSU.  Also if Simmons can have the size to play MLB.  A MLB to me is just as important as finding our NT and maybe even more because he will be the leader of our D.  Murray to me looks like Devon Bush who the Steelers took early last year

I think LSU will beat Oklahoma but I want to see Murray dominant on the D when they play and that will tell us how good he really is, same with Simmons against Ohio St.  The 2 players I will be watching the most in the college playoffs

As much as I totally agree about needing a true MLB, I really don't see the team moving Jack. If anything, I see us looking for a NT and a WLB to try and address the run defense. Perhaps we could draft a true MLB late in the draft, but I really think they will give Jack every opportunity to prove himself at MLB in 2020, even though I disagree. I'd love to have Murray though.

Not sure how you see this when we don't even know who our coach will be, defensive coordinator will be, or even if we will run a 4-3, but ok. If who ever our coaching staff is wants to keep Jack at MLB then I want Simmons and put him at WLB

I absolutely would love Derrick Brown. But the more I watch this OL (and Robinson who I've defended for far too long) I think Thomas would be the better pick. Of course outside of the top 5 he probably won't be available either, but Jackson had a great season and IMO is probably the 2nd best LT so we'll probably be able to snag him.

Losing sucks and as much as it would improve our draft position... we won a game with a 6th round rookie, a crap OL, our #1 WR out, no TE and a defense full of nobodies....
I like to think that is a good sign that our roster isn't completely devoid of talent.
Let's get those OL guys early and often, fill in the back 7 pieces with mid round talent. Maybe get lucky at NT with a guy developing or perhaps FA.

Playing our way out of a top 5 pick isn't a bad thing unless you think about it myopically. Plus... we could, in theory, move up or down in this draft and attain premier talent or more picks.
Lots could happen. Hopefully the NEW FO has a better eye for talent and makes better decisions with the roster.

Brown is still my top guy but there will be some other great players available when we pick

(12-16-2019, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 10:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As much as I totally agree about needing a true MLB, I really don't see the team moving Jack. If anything, I see us looking for a NT and a WLB to try and address the run defense. Perhaps we could draft a true MLB late in the draft, but I really think they will give Jack every opportunity to prove himself at MLB in 2020, even though I disagree. I'd love to have Murray though.

Not sure how you see this when we don't even know who our coach will be, defensive coordinator will be, or even if we will run a 4-3, but ok.  If who ever our coaching staff is wants to keep Jack at MLB then I want Simmons and put him at WLB

I'm a pessimist, so I assume the worst. With that said, I'm assuming we will have the same coaching staff and front office. That way if they stay, I won't be totally furious, because it will be expected. If I'm wrong, I'll be elated though, but if Larry, Curly and Moe stay on, I don't expect them to make wise decisions.

(12-16-2019, 12:02 PM)Kane Wrote: I absolutely would love Derrick Brown. But the more I watch this OL (and Robinson who I've defended for far too long) I think Thomas would be the better pick. Of course outside of the top 5 he probably won't be available either, but Jackson had a great season and IMO is probably the 2nd best LT so we'll probably be able to snag him.

Losing sucks and as much as it would improve our draft position... we won a game with a 6th round rookie, a crap OL, our #1 WR out, no TE and a defense full of nobodies....
I like to think that is a good sign that our roster isn't completely devoid of talent.
Let's get those OL guys early and often, fill in the back 7 pieces with mid round talent. Maybe get lucky at NT with a guy developing or perhaps FA.

Playing our way out of a top 5 pick isn't a bad thing unless you think about it myopically. Plus... we could, in theory, move up or down in this draft and attain premier talent or more picks.
Lots could happen. Hopefully the NEW FO has a better eye for talent and makes better decisions with the roster.

I absolutely don't wanna move up, unless it is for Joe Burrow. I wanna keep all of our draft picks. We have a lot of holes to fill. Now, if we wanna trade down, I'm all for that. In fact, if Andrew Thomas, Tristan Wirfs and Derrick Brown are gone when we pick, it would be my overwhelming preference to trade down, since I believe Austin Jackson will go somewhere between 10-20, if he declares.

(12-16-2019, 12:59 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not sure how you see this when we don't even know who our coach will be, defensive coordinator will be, or even if we will run a 4-3, but ok.  If who ever our coaching staff is wants to keep Jack at MLB then I want Simmons and put him at WLB

I'm a pessimist, so I assume the worst. With that said, I'm assuming we will have the same coaching staff and front office. That way if they stay, I won't be totally furious, because it will be expected. If I'm wrong, I'll be elated though, but if Larry, Curly and Moe stay on, I don't expect them to make wise decisions.

That's not a healthy way to live.  I'll take the wait and see approach, but while you feel that way I think Khan cleans house

It's obviously very early in the process still so things could change, but just from watching I think Wills Jr is going to be my OT1. He's got the feet and movement skills the others don't, and is already a mauler.

(12-16-2019, 03:00 PM)Upper Wrote: It's obviously very early in the process still so things could change, but just from watching I think Wills Jr is going to be my OT1. He's got the feet and movement skills the others don't, and is already a mauler.

Wills Jr. has only played RT at Alabama. He has zero experience at LT and frankly, I don't trust our scouting department if they project him at LT. I want a guy with LT experience like Thomas, Wirfs, Jackson or Adams. If Wills Jr. stays in school, I could see him sliding over to LT in 2020 and then we'd get a better idea of how he would project on the left side.