Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - Now back to #7

(12-30-2019, 02:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 07:04 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Huh... that's weird. What about this?

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...573&page=2

OT's especially LT, are the most important pieces of any team IMO. If you can't open running lanes and protect the QB, your offense is going nowhere. I believe you MUST find the best of the best, when it comes to OT's. That means using 1st round picks on them. Just look at the NFL. There are 32 teams in the NFL and barely half of them have adequate starting OT's. When you use 2nd rounders on OT's, you are drafting guys who 32 other teams thought weren't good enough to be their OT, even though starting OT's and QB's are the rarest of the rare to find. IMO, that is kind of ignoring the position. Remember who the Jags first draft pick in history was? It was LT Tony Boselli and he was drafted #2 overall. He turned out to be our best draft pick in franchise history. When he was here, we were consistent playoff contenders. We need to get back to that ideology and stop believing we can just draft so-so OT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I still agree with that ideology 100%, but with the win on Sunday, I have both Thomas and Wirfs gone by the time we pick (to the Giants and the Cardinals.) That's the only two LT's I have first round grades on. You can't very well draft a LT in round 1, if the grade isn't there. My next two highest rated LT's are Josh Jones and Trey Adams. They are projected to go in round 2 and that's where I have us taking an OT. I'm certainly not gonna reach for one of those guys and pass up the best interior O-Lineman in the draft (Biadasz.) We have needs at LT and OG and I'm filling them with the best available players IMO. Since there was no good LT's available in round 1, I have no choice.

So your ideology is that OT's must be taken in round 1, and spending a 2nd round pick on them is tantamount to ignoring the position, except you throw all that out if OT isn't BAP at your round 1 pick and then it's cool to grab one in the 2nd round if that's where the next highest one is projected. 

That's a very handy ideology.

Messages In This Thread
RE: After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - by Caldrac - 12-16-2019, 07:25 AM
After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - by Caldrac - 12-16-2019, 08:41 AM
RE: After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - by Kane - 12-16-2019, 12:02 PM
RE: After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - by Upper - 12-16-2019, 03:00 PM
RE: After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - by Upper - 12-16-2019, 08:53 PM
RE: After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - Now back to #7 - by Senor Fantastico - 12-30-2019, 03:44 PM