Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BULLSEYE'S 6th Annual "THIS WEEK IN THE AFCS" - Week 16

I'm filling in for Bullseye while health issues prevent him from posting.  Bullseye, we all miss you and hope your situation improves.

Another week, another poor result (1-2) on my personal picks.  Oh well, on to the recaps:

[font=Arial]Houston[/font] @ [font=Arial]Tennessee[/font] - Recap

Early on, the Titans (8-6) seemed to be in control vs. the Texans (9-5) as they intercepted a long Watson pass, then drove down the field for a field goal attempt, which would be blocked in a sort of karmic retribution for their blocking of a critical Colts field goal try in week 13.  Still, they maintained defensive pressure and sustained a long offensive drive only to have it end with a freak interception from 1st & goal at Houston's 5 yard line that would be returned for roughly 90 yards.  Yeah, it was one of those games.  Regardless, you can't expect to go into halftime down 14 points to a quality team and count on making it up.

The Titans really let a golden opportunity slip by them.  Prior to the game, they still had a realistic shot at the division title.  A win would have given them roughly a 75% chance of taking it.  However, the loss they absorbed leaves them with three coin flips, and all of them would have to turn up in their favor for them to still take the division.  Nah, not happening.  I'd like to give an early congratulations to the Houston Texans for winning the AFCS division this year.

Jacksonville @ [font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Oakland[/font][/font][/font][/font] - Recap

To be sure, no one saw this coming.  It was heavily expected that our Jaguars (5-9) would be traveling to Oakland (6-8) for a 4pm loss last Sunday.  The Raiders needed this win to salvage any postseason hopes, and were considered fortunate to be hosting a team that traditionally struggles mightily on the west coast.  In a game that saw a ton of sacks on both sides, our Jaguars got the better of the Raiders and ended Jon Gruden's quest for his first winning season as HC since 2008.  Oakland was a long shot to make the playoffs anyway, but color me guilty for experiencing a little schadenfreude in that it was our Jags who ended their season.

[font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font] @ [font=Arial][font=Arial]New Orleans[/font][/font] - Recap

We pretty much all knew this was going to happen, so I'm not even going to spend time commenting on it.  This performance by Indy, however, makes me want to look forward to week 17, where a Colts/Jags matchup could decide last place in the AFCS.

Here's how I see the AFC playoffs shaking out:

1) Baltimore
2) New England
3) Kansas City
4) Houston
5) Buffalo
6) Pittsburgh

I guess I'll be pulling for the Ratbirds from here on out, since the thought of yet another Tom Brady superbowl makes me want to vomit.

Now for the picks (and I'll post Prisco's picks after he makes them):

Game 1  ([font=Arial]Houston[/font] @ Tampa Bay)

The Texans (9-5) will be doing battle with the Buccaneers (7-7) in Raymond James Stadium on SATURDAY (yes, Saturday football).  Tampa has has decent success against the AFCS this year, logging wins over the Colts and Jaguars, and dropping a 27-23 contest to the Titans in which they held a 23-20 lead until late in the 4th quarter.  They are also on a 4-game win streak.  However, this game is much more important to the Texans than it is to the Bucs.  If the Texans win this game, they win their division.  If they lose this game, they will have to endure an agonizing 24 hour wait for the outcome of the Saints/Titans game to find out if the division is theirs or not.  If the Texans lose and the Titans win, week 17 becomes a winner-take-all contest, and Houston wants nothing to do with that scenario.  Therefore, next Saturday is their Superbowl, and they will prevail over the Bucs.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Texans[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  35
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Buccaneers[/font][/font][/font]  24

Game 2  (Jacksonville @ Atlanta)

Our Jaguars (5-9) take the short trip to Atlanta to take on the Falcons (5-9) in a 1pm game.  Both teams have suffered disappointing seasons, but the Falcons have seemed to find their groove the last two weeks, managing to beat the Panthers (5-9) and the 49ers (11-3).  Wait, what?  The Falcons beat the 49ers last week?  They sure did, and they did it on the road.  Credit the Falcon's defense (well, and WR Julio Jones) for the win.  Looking over the highlights of the game, I was impressed with Atlanta's pass defense, which seemed to frustrate Jimmy G. almost the entire game.  In this game, I expect the Jaguars first to try running Fournette, which will probably be ineffective.  We'll then try having Minshew get something started through the air, but I believe this Falcons defense will be up to the challenge.  As bad as our run defense has been, I still expect Atlanta to have Ryan air it out against us.  How successful this ends up being will determine the margin of victory.

Falcons  26

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Jaguars[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  19

Game 3  (Carolina[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font][/font][/font][/font])

The Kyle Allen-led Panthers (5-9) visit Indianapolis to take on the Colts (6-8) in a battle of postseason also-rans.  The Panthers seemed able to move the ball on the ground and through the air against the Seahawks last week, losing a close 30-24 contest in a failed comeback.  Last night, the Colts got absolutely destroyed by a similar caliber team to the Seahawks.  Still, the Colts are playing at home.  Then again, they've lost 4 in a row.  Coin flip time...Indy won the toss.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Colts[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  24

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Panthers[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  23

Game 4  ([font=Arial][font=Arial]New Orleans[/font][/font][font=Arial]Tennessee[/font])

The Titans (8-6) try to keep their division (and postseason) hopes alive when they host the Saints (11-3) this Sunday.  I expect the NFC log jam with 4 teams being tied for the conference lead at 11-3 to coerce the Saints into giving it their all this game.  They may need to, as this year's Titans are no slouch and have already been proven to be dangerous when their chips are down.  Still, taking down Drew Brees and the Saints offense is a tall order.  I expect the Saints to win this game, but I wanted to explore a remote possibility here.  Assuming my picks go against me like they have the last two weeks and the Buccaneers and Titans win, the week 17 Titans-Texans game will have huge implications for.....wait for it.....the Steelers!  If the Titans won that contest they would win the AFCS and the Texans would knock out the Steelers for that final wildcard spot, assuming the Steelers did lose to Baltimore in week 17.  This assumes I understand the NFL's tiebreaking rules properly.  It's just an interesting possibility, but I don't see it happening.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Saints[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  32

[font=Arial]Titans[/font]  21

Last Week  1-2

Overall  29-17

Pete Prisco last week  1-2

Pete Prisco overall  24-22

Note:  Sorry in advance about the screwy formatting.  For some reason, I cannot get it to behave.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2019, 08:34 AM by Mowerguy.)

big thank You to Kodiak for keeping this going!
20-26 after last weeks 2-1

Picking :
bucs over 'horns
Jags over dirty birds
Other cats over clots
saints over tacks
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

So I maintain pace with trailing Kodiak and leading Prisco, also suffering a 1-2 Week 15. 26-20 overall at this point.

I blame Snowie for the conspiracy theory influences on these picks. If they play out, I take back all criticisms I've ever posted about them. On to the chaos:

TB 31 Hou 21 - Tampa is home, and may be the hottest team in the league. If they do this again next season, don't be surprised if we start hearing Leftwich's name as an HC candidate. Feeding into the conspiracy, this is half of the equation needed to set the table for a AFCS showdown in week 17. Houston got lucky last week. I don't know that they have any more rabbits feet to play with.

Jax 24-ATL 21 - I already posted in the score prediction thread that this comes down to the kickers. Lambo is more reliable than Younghoe Koo, and the Falcons take a loss because of it.

IND 17 Car 15 - I know that reads aloud like "care", and really, I just can't.

TEN 24 No 23 - I am picking against logic and heart. NO should knock the tacks out of the AFCS running in Nashville. If they lay an egg, I will begin to believe that the shield put the fix in so that the week 17 matchup against the horns is meaningful. Brees just played lights out against the horseshoe D. He'll have a tougher challenge this week.

If I end up a game short of Kodiak OR Prisco this year, it will be because of that stinkin' tacks game, I just know it.

Thanks again for keeping this running, Kodiak. You rock!

1-2 last week
25-21 overall

Tinhorns
Jags
Panthers
Saints
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

25-19 overall 

this week will be a clean sweep by the home teams 

colts

titans

falcons

Bucs

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

1-2 last week
22-20 overall

Colts over Panthers
Falcons over Jaguars
Buccaneers over Texans
Saints over Titans
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM by KodiakJag.)

FYI in case anyone cared...

Panthers expected to start QB Will Grier vs. Colts

Prisco posted his picks earlier today.  From CBSsports.com:

Houston Texans at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3)

The Bucs are rolling, having won four consecutive games. But they are out of playoff contention, while the Texans can lock up the AFC South with a victory. That matters. But so does the way Jameis Winston is playing. This will be a fun, high-scoring game as the Bucs take it. 
Pick: Bucs 31, Texans 30

Jacksonville Jaguars at Atlanta Falcons (-6.5)
Here is a game matching two of the league's biggest flops this season. Both won games on the West Coast last week, but it was the Falcons who were the more impressive team. That carries over here. Matt Ryan has a big day. 
Pick: Falcons 30, Jaguars 23

Carolina Panthers at Indianapolis Colts (-7)

The Colts are done in their playoff quest, and the Panthers have long been finished. They are turning to rookie Will Grier at quarterback in this game, making his first start on the road. That's tough and the Colts will take advantage of that. 
Pick: Colts 23, Panthers 15

New Orleans Saints at Tennessee Titans (+3)

This is a big game for both teams. The Saints needs it for seeding, while the Titans need it to legitimately stay in the playoff hunt. The Saints are playing on a short week, which could help the Titans. And I think it will. The Titans will win it behind a strong game from Derrick Henry
Pick: Titans 24, Saints 21

PRISCO'S PICKS - WEEK 16
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Also, the houston vs tampa game is saturday, so the tacks wont need to watch the scoreboard on Sunday. They'll know going in that beating the saints sets up that championship game in houston. Come on Jameis crablegs winston...
[Image: incredulous.gif]

26-20 overall

This week's picks:
Bucs
Falcons
clots
tacks

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019, 12:32 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Bucs
Falcons
Colts
Saints

20-24

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

25-21 so far. This week I'll take Houston, Atlanta, Indy, and New Orleans.

Texans
Falcons
Colts
Saints

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Last week: 1-2
Overall: 3-4

Texans over Bucs
Falcons over Jags
Colts over Panthers
Saints over Titans
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Week # 15 Results: 1-2
Overall: 28-18

Houston
Atlanta
Indianapolis
New Orleans

21-24 overall

Texans
Jaguars
Colts
Saints

Texans
Jaguars
Colts
Saints

Hope I'm in time

(12-19-2019, 11:22 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Bucs
Falcons
Colts
Saints

20-24

3-1 this week, better than usual.

23-25

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(12-21-2019, 02:09 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Texans
Jaguars
Colts
Saints

Hope I'm in time

After a 2-1 week 15 put me at 25-21, went 3-1 in week 16.  Will be going into week 17 at 28-22.

Congrats to Kodiak on running the table this week.

(12-17-2019, 06:12 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: 25-19 overall 

this week will be a clean sweep by the home teams 

colts

titans

falcons

Bucs
2-2 this week record goes to 27-21 overall.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019, 08:12 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Absolutely Horrible win.. Crap happens, don't know what else to say?,......TEXANS fying Suck! Atleast Billy Buttchin does

I wanted this [BLEEP] sucker gone tomorrow