Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan Fires Coughlin

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 09:53 PM by rpr52121.)

(12-18-2019, 09:37 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Considering his history and success in the NFL and Jacksonville's past I am saddened by their need to "fire" or "release" Mr. Coughlin. 10 more days to let him retire was that big an issue?

Yes, having the union make their statement is basically them saying the Jaguars is an "unequal" work environment that is against contractual agreed-upon rules. To save face as an organization, you have fire the guy essentially for cause. It's a PR move.

Yes, others probably share some blame for the situation to reach this level, but Tom is in charge of football operations. So he gets sacrificed.

This is professional sports. At some point, basically every player, GM, coach, scout, etc. gets fired.

(12-18-2019, 09:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Ouch. Again. Just no thanks. No retread. New blood. Go to Kansas City or Minnesotta. Poach from their front office and coaching staff. We're more than likely better off.

I don't know. Only person I like on either coaching staffs is Dave Toub, and you could argue even he is a reach.

I don't know enough about the GM situation in Minnesota, but they have held together that defense longer than I thought possible.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-18-2019, 09:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think Jalen Ramsey and Allen Robinson would still be #Jaguars if not for Tom Coughlin's tenure. Also think Ngakoue wouldn't be with the team in 2020 if Coughlin remained. For a team that had been bad at finding young talent for so long, he ran away off quite a bit.

This was from Shipley who covers the Jags for SI.

Absolutely they would.

Have to wonder if the Telvin situation would be different as well.

Caldwell needs to sign Ngakoue right now... Don't let him test FA because it's only going to drive his price up that much more. Pay him right now and be done with it.

Telvin was already out the NFL door.

You still think Allen is a #1 WR....He is not on the field on every play for the Bears....don't kid yourself

Jury is still out on Ramsey.....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

Well, Khan already told us he was going to do this after the season, so it stands to reason that Coughlin's head coach is leaving with him.

(12-18-2019, 09:37 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Considering his history and success in the NFL and Jacksonville's past I am saddened by their need to "fire" or "release" Mr. Coughlin. 10 more days to let him retire was that big an issue?

Considering that the only success the Jaguars have had under Khans tenure was 2017...He should have waited.

Khan was also a guy that cried about Trump during the national anthem fiasco...

(12-18-2019, 09:54 PM)old_man Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Absolutely they would.

Have to wonder if the Telvin situation would be different as well.

Caldwell needs to sign Ngakoue right now... Don't let him test FA because it's only going to drive his price up that much more. Pay him right now and be done with it.

Telvin was already out the NFL door.

You still think Allen is a #1 WR....He is not on the field on every play for the Bears....don't kid yourself

You might be as senile as Coughlin is...

Also. I would think Khan has a grievance or lawsuit against either the NFLPA or the NFL as a whole. OK. The Jaguars erred on the fines and had to pay it back. What right does this professional business organization called the NFLPA have to add that last sentence directed toward all potential employees against a legitimately run organization? Admission of error? Ok. Attempting to affect their ability to succeed beyond this resolution? I cry foul. Good night.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 10:01 PM by enigma.)

(12-18-2019, 09:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:54 PM)old_man Wrote: Telvin was already out the NFL door.

He forgot to wear his adult diaper because today is a rough one for the 'ole man.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2019, 10:03 PM by old_man.)

(12-18-2019, 09:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:54 PM)old_man Wrote: Telvin was already out the NFL door.

What disagreement do you have.

Jalen has only played 3 years.

Telvin couldn't tackle or play after Posluszny left...

what am I missing

(12-18-2019, 10:01 PM)enigma Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You might be as senile as Coughlin is...

He forgot to wear his adult diaper because today is a rough one for the 'ole man.

Ha...

Waiting for your spin....

(12-18-2019, 10:01 PM)old_man Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You might be as senile as Coughlin is...

What disagreement do you have.

Jalen has only played 3 years.

Telvin couldn't tackle or play after Posluszny left...

what am I missing

(12-18-2019, 10:01 PM)enigma Wrote: He forgot to wear his adult diaper because today is a rough one for the 'ole man.

Ha...

Waiting for your spin....

You're missing a whole lot honestly, but I'm not about to waste my time trying to explain it all to you because that would be pointless.

You know how I know it'd be pointless? Because you're literally the only person on this planet that's still supporting Coughlin through all of this mess lol.

There were some good feelings here when TC returned....but it was the memory of the good he did here. Jay fund and such.
We all saw what we wanted to see .....but the hard nose TC erased those good memories.
Let's just close the door on this and wish him well.
Sorry the NFL has changed so much Tom.....you just no longer fit.

"A new broom sweeps clean."
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I mean, it was pretty cool to have him back. It's a shame he had to go overboard with his disciplinarian ways; some toughness puts steel in peoples' spines. Look what a heart to heart did for Fournette. But when you're asserting yourself over everyone all the time, including the head coach of your team? It's not conducive to an environment after awhile.

(12-18-2019, 09:15 PM)old_man Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:10 PM)TJBender Wrote: ok boomer

Only 46 'tard

"Boomer" is a state of mind, "tard".

(12-18-2019, 09:22 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: There are a decent number of successful coaches who failed during their first HC stint but figure it out their second time. Sure, that doesn't happen all the time, but it is not uncommon. Plus McDaniels checks a big box for me on being a play designer. I'm not certain he is great at putting together a staff to get at least 1 offensive position group to out-perform their expectations, though that may be more of GM criteria.

I'm not a huge fan of Pioli. I would love someone from the Ravens' or Steelers' GM trees, but I honestly don't know who that would be.

My biggest issue with McDaniels is the way he hosed the Colts. That doesn't inspire trust in him. He flamed out spectacularly in Denver then changed his mind at the last second in Indy. Is this someone who's going to quit and/or become a total pain in the [BLEEP] the second things look less than favorable?

The NFLPA release was a massive black eye, and I suspect Khan wasn't the least bit amused by Coughlin's decision to let Marrone flail in the wind again. Sometimes, it's just time.

(12-18-2019, 09:57 PM)old_man Wrote: Considering that the only success the Jaguars have had under Khans tenure was 2017...He should have waited.

ok boomer

...that you, Tom?

(12-18-2019, 10:17 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:15 PM)old_man Wrote: Only 46 'tard

"Boomer" is a state of mind, "tard".

(12-18-2019, 09:22 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: There are a decent number of successful coaches who failed during their first HC stint but figure it out their second time. Sure, that doesn't happen all the time, but it is not uncommon. Plus McDaniels checks a big box for me on being a play designer. I'm not certain he is great at putting together a staff to get at least 1 offensive position group to out-perform their expectations, though that may be more of GM criteria.

I'm not a huge fan of Pioli. I would love someone from the Ravens' or Steelers' GM trees, but I honestly don't know who that would be.

My biggest issue with McDaniels is the way he hosed the Colts. That doesn't inspire trust in him. He flamed out spectacularly in Denver then changed his mind at the last second in Indy. Is this someone who's going to quit and/or become a total pain in the [BLEEP] the second things look less than favorable?

The NFLPA release was a massive black eye, and I suspect Khan wasn't the least bit amused by Coughlin's decision to let Marrone flail in the wind again. Sometimes, it's just time.

(12-18-2019, 09:57 PM)old_man Wrote: Considering that the only success the Jaguars have had under Khans tenure was 2017...He should have waited.

ok boomer

...that you, Tom?

I wonder what percentage of Gen X'ers are mistakenly called boomers.

With today's youth, I'd wear either as a badge of honor.

Right now players are calling eachother saying... maybe it's not so bad playing for the Jaguars now.

You guys that are happy Coughlin was fired, in my opinion shouldn’t be.

What if Coughlin didn’t want Bortles extended? And what if he wanted to stick with Minshew when we were in the playoff hunt?

If it was the other way around then I agree, but what if he didn’t agree with the other side that made those decisions?

Coughlin is not the reason we lost games. Coughlin isn’t the one who gave Fournette 9 carries or less in 2 games.

I just think he was the scape goat. When he came back to Jax, everybody was on board. IF....IF he was the reason Ramsey and Fowler left town, then yes I agree.

Honestly we will never know. And Marrone should be next. But as some have mentioned, it just means Minshew is going to have a different staff next season which could be good or bad.

(12-18-2019, 10:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 10:17 PM)TJBender Wrote: "Boomer" is a state of mind, "tard".

ok boomer

...that you, Tom?

I wonder what percentage of Gen X'ers are mistakenly called boomers.

With today's youth, I'd wear either as a badge of honor.
Probably a good amount since most Gen X'rs burned themselves out and aged like [BLEEP].

Jk.

My parents are Gen X. They're [BLEEP] cool as [BLEEP]. Rational people. They don't let "old glory' days warp their views too much.

But they will call you out on your [BLEEP] without blinking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-18-2019, 09:09 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 09:00 PM)EricC85 Wrote: By what measure is he average? He was here long before Coughlin and we where still a trash team with a trash roster. They caught some great breaks and made a run one year but the fact that same roster was worthless by week three the following year is evidence this roster is garbage.

He missed on Joeckel, but that was such a bad draft class that almost everyone had Fisher/Joeckel as 1/2. He missed on Bortles, but not a Gabbert-level miss. Bortles did get us to the AFCCG, FWIW. Otherwise, his first rounders haven't been half bad. Fowler maybe a little underwhelming, but he was stepping up his game when he was offloaded. Ramsey landed us two first round picks and a fourth, Fournette's come into his own, Bryan's showing signs and Allen is a machine.

You go deeper and start getting into guys like Linder, A-Rob, Telvin, Yan, Westbrook, the list goes on. He's found lots of solid depth and capable starters in the middle rounds, and then there's this dude that cuts his own jorts when he isn't heaving it downfield...

As GMs go, that's not too bad. His FA signings are more miss (J. Thomas, Norwell) than hit (Calais, Bouye), but I think that's really the norm these days. Smart teams know that you find your starters in the draft and patch via UFA, because with all the measures teams have in place for keeping a guy from leaving, if someone's hitting free agency, a smart GM would ask why.

The Fournette pick set the franchise back 10 years if you are giving Caldwell credit for it

Its still really weird to me how people selectively choose what Tom and Dave did based on who they wanna prop up. People want to say the roster isn't that good because of Tom while also saying Caldwell gets credit for all picks and FAs made since he was hired? The oline has been awful every year bar one with Caldwell as GM, the QB position has been messed up every year bar 1 or 2 with Dave as GM.

(12-18-2019, 10:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: You guys that are happy Coughlin was fired, in my opinion shouldn’t be.

What if Coughlin didn’t want Bortles extended? And what if he wanted to stick with Minshew when we were in the playoff hunt?

If it was the other way around then I agree, but what if he didn’t agree with the other side that made those decisions?

Coughlin is not the reason we lost games. Coughlin isn’t the one who gave Fournette 9 carries or less in 2 games.

I just think he was the scape goat. When he came back to Jax, everybody was on board. IF....IF he was the reason Ramsey and Fowler left town, then yes I agree.

Honestly we will never know.

All those things pale in comparison to the overwhelming embarrassment he brought to the organization as a whole. This was a necessary move after the NFLPA Letter. Really it was overdue; I wonder if Kahn had gotten rid of him two days ago when the letter dropped, if all these other stories wouldn't be getting dug up. Oh well. Ultimately, I don't see how a team functions with the time of overreaching fines TC was imposing. Whether he helped the team win in 2017 becomes secondary to the longterm damage he was doing to the Jaguars brand with fining people full game checks for oversleeping; for missing mandatory yoga; and for sitting on a bench while inactive.

I will say though, it was super cool for the gritty veteran--who is teaching the players how to be mentally tough and not soft crybabies--to once again throw Doug Marrone to the wolves media as his human shield before he got canned. I don't necessarily think Marrone's a good enough coach to warrant keeping next year, but dang did he become a sympathetic character this season with the nonsense he's been asked to put up with.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(12-18-2019, 10:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: You guys that are happy Coughlin was fired, in my opinion shouldn’t be.

Honestly we will never know. And Marrone should be next. But as some have mentioned, it just means Minshew is going to have a different staff next season which could be good or bad.
It's bittersweet for me. I don't want anybody to fail. Let alone Tom Coughlin. He gave this city a competitive football team rather quickly and it lasted for awhile.

It's going to be tough this next few months. Uncertainty in the air. Good or bad things can come from this. I 110% agree with you.

But this is just one of the many moves that need to be made. It's not all on Coughlin. Marrone and his staff deserve the lion's share of the blame.

Penalties. Inconsistent play. Predictable. Lack of adjustments. Lack of focus. Blown assignments. Embarrassing losses on a historical level. That's not ALL on Tom Coughlin. Most people with sense should know that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Hate to break it to ya, but he WAS the reason they left - along with creating a rift between the players, coaches, and quite possibly the FO as well.

Just look at the immediate reaction posted by them and others.