Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan Fires Coughlin

(12-19-2019, 09:03 AM)Last42min Wrote: IF Coughlin was responsible for the QB choices (resigning Bortles and Foles), and IF he's responsible for the front office failings to retain some of our better free agents, I think Caldwell needs to be given a second chance. He does a good job evaluating talent, but, at least up until now, I believed he was hurting the team by not retaining quality free agents and making some poor choices with resignings. However, if these choices were on Coughlin, I think Caldwell has done well enough to be given a second stint. He made some questionable choices with first round picks, but, by and large, he has given this team depth, even if he hasn't maintained it (and Coughlin could be the reason why).

I can't say the same for Doug Marrone, though. Even if Marrone is trying to keep together a disgruntled team due to Coughlin, there are enough questionable coaching choices that have frustrated me to no end. I don't know. Maybe Coughlin is micromanaging too much.

Pretty much exactly where I stand. Caldwell has done some good work, with some inexplicable decisions in free agency and retaining players. If there's an explanation that might well let him off the hook. Marrone, though, is damaged goods here now. Wish him the best in another Coughlin-free role and move on.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-19-2019, 02:12 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:00 AM)Upper Wrote: Jeff Darlington being such a Grinch...I can't remember the last time joy was sucked out of me like this.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/statu...1536756736
Others are saying the same thing.

If TC was already going to retire,  Khan should have waited or let him step down now.
If Khan leaves Marrone in place, I'm not sure fans will be back.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Ok Jeff, thanks for letting us know you are stupid and ignorant.

If Khan keep those 2 he is stupid, period.

as I read it, I wonder how many in the locker room channeled their inner Martin Luther King, Jr.

FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST
PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY
FREE AT LAST

Good riddance.

(12-19-2019, 09:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Boselli spinning the TC fire on 1010xl right now.  Playing down the NFLPA issue and states the firing was based on performance of the team.

Listening to Boselli and Frangie speaking of the Jags is like listening to North Korean radio talk about Kim Jung Un --- we love our leader.

Yeah well. Those two are fairly close to Coughlin who, by all accounts is a great guy away from football. He was also a coach who got great results. The NFLPA thing though was a real whopper. Performance aside, that alone was enough for a firing.

(12-19-2019, 09:24 AM)iapetus Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 09:03 AM)Last42min Wrote: IF Coughlin was responsible for the QB choices (resigning Bortles and Foles), and IF he's responsible for the front office failings to retain some of our better free agents, I think Caldwell needs to be given a second chance. He does a good job evaluating talent, but, at least up until now, I believed he was hurting the team by not retaining quality free agents and making some poor choices with resignings. However, if these choices were on Coughlin, I think Caldwell has done well enough to be given a second stint. He made some questionable choices with first round picks, but, by and large, he has given this team depth, even if he hasn't maintained it (and Coughlin could be the reason why).

I can't say the same for Doug Marrone, though. Even if Marrone is trying to keep together a disgruntled team due to Coughlin, there are enough questionable coaching choices that have frustrated me to no end. I don't know. Maybe Coughlin is micromanaging too much.

Pretty much exactly where I stand. Caldwell has done some good work, with some inexplicable decisions in free agency and retaining players. If there's an explanation that might well let him off the hook. Marrone, though, is damaged goods here now. Wish him the best in another Coughlin-free role and move on.

I wouldn't be too pissed if Caldwell stayed but I think all three need to go to give this team the clean start they need. Caldwell has picked some bad some good and seems to have improved in some of the more recent drafts but I think we can do better. Hope SK sees it that way.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-19-2019, 09:52 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 09:12 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Boselli spinning the TC fire on 1010xl right now.  Playing down the NFLPA issue and states the firing was based on performance of the team.

Listening to Boselli and Frangie speaking of the Jags is like listening to North Korean radio talk about Kim Jung Un --- we love our leader.

Yeah well. Those two are fairly close to Coughlin who, by all accounts is a great guy away from football. He was also a coach who got great results. The NFLPA thing though was a real whopper. Performance aside, that alone was enough for a firing.

(12-19-2019, 09:24 AM)iapetus Wrote: Pretty much exactly where I stand. Caldwell has done some good work, with some inexplicable decisions in free agency and retaining players. If there's an explanation that might well let him off the hook. Marrone, though, is damaged goods here now. Wish him the best in another Coughlin-free role and move on.

I wouldn't be too pissed if Caldwell stayed but I think all three need to go to give this team the clean start they need. Caldwell has picked some bad some good and seems to have improved in some of the more recent drafts but I think we can do better. Hope SK sees it that way.
When the team has been this bad for this long, you can't have any lingering holdovers. I don't think Caldwell is terrible at his job but he's gotta get the boot too.

(12-19-2019, 10:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 09:52 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Yeah well. Those two are fairly close to Coughlin who, by all accounts is a great guy away from football. He was also a coach who got great results. The NFLPA thing though was a real whopper. Performance aside, that alone was enough for a firing.

When the team has been this bad for this long, you can't have any lingering holdovers. I don't think Caldwell is terrible at his job but he's gotta get the boot too.

This, time to clean house and start fresh

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 10:16 AM by Kane.)

"Caldwell should get a 2nd chance"
I dare you guys to go back and really dive into his drafts and FA choices. Not very good. Average at best with many of the players either not being here or not even in the league anymore.

Just OK is not OK.

Statement from Coughlin

“As head of football operations for the Jaguars the last three years I was responsible for all things football related to football. I take great pride in our accomplishments, especially in 2017. I’d like to thank Shad Khan for the opportunity to come back to Jacksonville, all the players and staff for their efforts, and the great fans here for their support. I was the first coach of this franchise and I will always be supportive of the Jaguars.”

All things football related to football?

(12-19-2019, 10:16 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Statement from Coughlin

“As head of football operations for the Jaguars the last three years I was responsible for all things football related to football. I take great pride in our accomplishments, especially in 2017. I’d like to thank Shad Khan for the opportunity to come back to Jacksonville, all the players and staff for their efforts, and the great fans here for their support. I was the first coach of this franchise and I will always be supportive of the Jaguars.”

I think the site you got that from had a typo. Here's the statement.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/12...0818211841
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-19-2019, 10:30 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

Ah thank you. It seemed a weird phrase to use. Makes sense now.

I love how his last line is, "I was the first coach of this franchise."

Thanks Coach. We definitely needed that reminder.

(12-19-2019, 11:13 AM)Brett Wrote: I love how his last line is, "I was the first coach of this franchise."

Thanks Coach. We definitely needed that reminder.
Still holding onto his glory days.

Great coach. Terrible GM/EVP.

(12-19-2019, 10:30 AM)hb1148 Wrote:

Coughlin has fined that site for misquoting him.

(12-19-2019, 11:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 10:30 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I think the site you got that from had a typo. Here's the statement.

Coughlin has fined that site for misquoting him.

[Image: giphy.gif]

He actually said, First, Greatest, and Most Successful Coach", but they snipped that part.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-19-2019, 11:18 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He actually said, First, Greatest, and Most Successful Coach", but they snipped that part.

'The Best there is, The Best there was and The Best there ever will be'

(12-18-2019, 08:18 PM)jj82284 Wrote: He cost us a hall of fame player...

Yup.

Probably would've had Lamar Jacksonville too if it wasn't for him.

(12-19-2019, 01:02 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(12-18-2019, 08:18 PM)jj82284 Wrote: He cost us a hall of fame player...

Yup.

Our organization would have turned Lamar Jackson into Rg4 within weeks

Not that he is capable and not that we should retain him, but I would be interested to see how Marrone does as a head coach with the freedom of not having to answer to TC on literally everything

(12-19-2019, 01:14 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 01:02 PM)jg77 Wrote: Yup.

Our organization would have turned Lamar Jackson into Rg4 within weeks

We would've had him playing WR.