Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This stat will blow your mind (Norwell)

Of all the AFC Guards, Indianapolis Colts’ Guard - Quenton Nelson is 2nd in pass-block battles, and he earned a Pro Bowl nod with 321.

Guess who is first among AFC Guards.....Andrew Norwell!

Norwell has won an AFC high 348 pass block plays among Guards.

Per ESPN

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No [bleep] way

Mind blown!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 06:47 AM by The Real Marty.)

It's all part of the continuing MYSTERY of the lack of performance of our offensive line as a whole.  We've got enough high draft picks and enough high salaries that they should perform much better as a unit than they have.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 07:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-18-2019, 11:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Of all the AFC Guards, Indianapolis Colts’ Guard - Quenton Nelson is 2nd in pass-block battles, and he earned a Pro Bowl nod with 321.

Per ESPN

Okay, so he won the most.  I'm curious who lost the most.  Theoretically, although unlikely, Norwell could have also lost the most. 

Jaguars are rated 29th in pass protection as a team.  
And we've given up 54 sacks as a team, which is the most in the league.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Hes hated on too much. Thing with him is then he loses, he loses bad. Hes one of only 2 starting quality line man on out team. I'm willing to give taylor another year to develop but hes been bad. Cann obviously is a waste of space. And cam is probably the worst starting LT in the league. Gotta draft or sign a LT and kick cam into RG and our o line would be average at worst. So its not that big of a fix.

Norwell improved this year. It's honestly the penalties across the line that has hurt this team more than anything. It's a trickle down effect. Not only does it negate a positive play 9 times out of 10, especially for our team, but it also sets you up in an obvious 3rd and a country mile situation where you know the defense is pinning it's ears back.

Most of the weaknesses this year come from Robinson at LT and some struggling here and there at RT with a rookie in Taylor. We also had a revolving door at RG and Linder was heavily penalized throughout this season so far. In all honesty. They played much, much better than I had hoped for in Oakland. Minshew had several instances where the pocket was clean enough to make a read or step up into it if needed.

We'll see what direction they go in during the draft.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-19-2019, 08:21 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Norwell improved this year. It's honestly the penalties across the line that has hurt this team more than anything. It's a trickle down effect. Not only does it negate a positive play 9 times out of 10, especially for our team, but it also sets you up in an obvious 3rd and a country mile situation where you know the defense is pinning it's ears back.

Most of the weaknesses this year come from Robinson at LT and some struggling here and there at RT with a rookie in Taylor. We also had a revolving door at RG and Linder was heavily penalized throughout this season so far. In all honesty. They played much, much better than I had hoped for in Oakland. Minshew had several instances where the pocket was clean enough to make a read or step up into it if needed.

Norwell has not been that bad this year.  The problem with him is that when he makes a bad play, it's a horrible, glaring, bad play.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-19-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 08:21 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Norwell improved this year. It's honestly the penalties across the line that has hurt this team more than anything. It's a trickle down effect. Not only does it negate a positive play 9 times out of 10, especially for our team, but it also sets you up in an obvious 3rd and a country mile situation where you know the defense is pinning it's ears back.

Norwell has not been that bad this year.  The problem with him is that when he makes a bad play, it's a horrible, glaring, bad play.

This  ^ 

He'll play well on 95% of his snaps. That 5% are often just really ugly and skew our perspective.

(12-19-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote:

And the other issue is that when you get a contract like he got, he should be like Zack Martin.

Interesting stat. I hadn't thought of Norwell being that great of a pass blocker. Where I usually notice him doing well is dominating as a run blocker allowing Fournette some huge plays. 
'02

I'd like to see Linder move back to guard.

(12-18-2019, 11:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Of all the AFC Guards, Indianapolis Colts’ Guard - Quenton Nelson is 2nd in pass-block battles, and he earned a Pro Bowl nod with 321.

Per ESPN

If a play is cancelled due to a holding penalty, is it counted as a play?

This is my biggest gripe with cherry-picked figures.

Give me the whole picture.

(12-19-2019, 08:14 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Hes hated on too much. Thing with him is then he loses, he loses bad. Hes one of only 2 starting quality line man on out team. I'm willing to give taylor another year to develop but hes been bad. Cann obviously is a waste of space. And cam is probably the worst starting LT in the league. Gotta draft or sign a LT and kick cam into RG and our o line would be average at worst. So its not that big of a fix.

Is Norwell BAD....or is it CAM that is bad and Norwell is having to pick up a 2nd block and failing at that? I haven't had eyes on a game this year, just watching the game tracker on ESPN. Seems like everytime we get a decent play, it's called back due to hold or false start or something else stupid. Plus I remember LF having to hold Cam's stupid self back at the end of the Denver game......

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(12-19-2019, 09:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 08:46 AM)Rico Wrote: Norwell has not been that bad this year.  The problem with him is that when he makes a bad play, it's a horrible, glaring, bad play.

This  ^ 

He'll play well on 95% of his snaps. That 5% are often just really ugly and skew our perspective.

When your offense is designed to be a methodical, move the chains, 10+ play drive type 5% chance of a blow up really adds up.

Biggest issue with norwell is he is basically aying LT and LG at the same time cause Cam has been so bad. So basically he isn't trusting Cam to hold the block so he is constantly trying to help him.

(12-19-2019, 10:28 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I'd like to see Linder move back to guard.

Yeah I agree. He’s not a center

I still remember the Panthers DL who said that they're used to Norwell playing a specific way, so they were surprised when he came out against them playing a different type of ball. I can't help but feel like as rough as he is, how much of that has been due to Marrone/Coughlin/Warhop/whoever shoehorning him into a square hole when he's very much a round peg?

Robinson and Cann't are the weakest links. If you replace those two with quality pickups and Taylor takes a big step forward at RT, you've suddenly got a potentially solid line again. I say potentially because I'm not the least bit sure about Norwell being the solution--he certainly hasn't played up to his contract and likely never will--but giving him some help would be a nice start.

(12-19-2019, 10:28 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I'd like to see Linder move back to guard.

agreed
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]