Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Witcher Netlfix Series

Comes out tomorrow! I'm so excited. Wasn't thrilled with the casting originally, but it looks fantastic.

So far I've heard reports ranging from "Makes GOT look terrible" to "straight up bad"

Either way, I'll watch every episode and am really looking forward to some live action Geralt monster hunting.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Same. Never read the books. Own Witcher III on PS4. Barely played it because I am lazy and expected it to be Skyrim [easy to play] but I enjoyed the first 5 hours of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 08:31 AM by SeldomRite.)

Only watched the first episode so far, but I can say it was mostly faithful to the source material, which is good. I have high hopes for the rest.

I will say while there is political intrigue to the series I expect it to be a much more personal kind of series than GoT, with most of the focus being on Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer.

It's not bad. Entertaining on the whole. They don't take themselves too seriously which was wise. There's a fair amount of tongue-in-cheek humor thrown in at would-be dramatic moments that set a lighter tone than something like GOT for example. Also the use of modern vernacular is a clue not to view it as some stern period piece or the like.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019, 10:04 PM by jaglyn.)

Finished season 1 instead of watching the Jags game. I liked it, but I'm a fan of this genre

Casting is good and Henry Cavill as the lead grows on you. The middle episodes dragged on, but it ended well and set it up for the next season

I had no idea what a Witcher was or anything about any of it until I read Henry Cavill was to portray the lead character. Being as I'd watch him in just about anything I knew I'd watch it. It's nice to watch this, TWD, and DC and Marvel stuff with no expectations of source material to disappoint me.

Two episodes in and I like it so far. Cavill's voice is a bit disconcerting though. It sounds nothing like him, which is fine because he's in character. It's just weird. 

Kind of like hearing Renee Zellwegger's voice come out of a mouth/face that looks nothing like her anymore.

All the time hopping was a little confusing but I liked it.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 10:01 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-22-2019, 06:10 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Finished season 1 instead of watching the Jags game. I liked it, but I'm a fan of this genre

Casting is good and Henry Cavill as the lead grows on you. The middle episodes dragged on, but it ended well and set it up for the next season

I've watched the first 2 episodes so far, I think it's very good at this point.

As for casting, I was concerned when I heard Cavil was playing Geralt, but his portrayal has been spot on so far.

I kinda want more now

Any other shows on Netflix/Prime similar to this series?

Cavil has done good with Geralt. He carries the character well. I am only 3 episodes in so far. Cool to see Yennefer's background unfold. Actually looking forward to when Geralt, Ciri and her finally meet.

Tempted to dust off Witcher III and play it again on my PS4 just to familiarize myself with the lore and creatures again. That Stryga fight was cool too.

But Cavil is doing good so far. He's a gamer himself. Think he's into World of Warcraft or once was.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 11:19 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-24-2019, 12:55 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Cavil has done good with Geralt. He carries the character well. I am only 3 episodes in so far. Cool to see Yennefer's background unfold. Actually looking forward to when Geralt, Ciri and her finally meet.

Tempted to dust off Witcher III and play it again on my PS4 just to familiarize myself with the lore and creatures again. That Stryga fight was cool too.

But Cavil is doing good so far. He's a gamer himself. Think he's into World of Warcraft or once was.

My thoughts on Cavil as well. actually in the first episode I thought " damn, he's pretty spot on with Geralt"

I'm on episode 5, loving it so far. I'd expect season 2 will get us a lot more action vs the character development we're seeing now. Either way, I'm not disappointed at all so far.

(12-24-2019, 12:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: I kinda want more now

Any other shows on Netflix/Prime similar to this series?

Have you played any of the games? Namely Witcher 3. Or play Dragon Age Inquisition.

As for shows, Game of Thrones obviously, and I've heard good things about The Last Kingdom but I haven't watched it myself.

I finished this tonight and am ready for season two! I'll definitely watch S1 again to wrap my head around all the storylines. The time jump stuff totally threw me for a loop.

I loved every scene with Geralt and Yennefer. The actors have awesome chemistry together.

The only complaint I have is the casting of Triss. Looks nothing like her, other than that, I loved season 1

Finished it up on Christmas. Good series. Figured the season would end the way it did. Which was good.

Hopefully they can financially keep it going. Netflix has a tendency to pull the plug on a series before it's given it's proper due or finish.

I think we'd be lucky to see this series extend beyond 2022 personally. Four years is even pushing it.

But I do appreciate the fact that they've mixed a good amount of elements from the books and games into it already. Not easy to do.

(12-29-2019, 09:12 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Finished it up on Christmas. Good series. Figured the season would end the way it did. Which was good.

Hopefully they can financially keep it going. Netflix has a tendency to pull the plug on a series before it's given it's proper due or finish.

I think we'd be lucky to see this series extend beyond 2022 personally. Four years is even pushing it.

But I do appreciate the fact that they've mixed a good amount of elements from the books and games into it already. Not easy to do.

It was already renewed for season 2 before season one even launched. So we should at least get that. 

One of the creators of the show said he's hoping for 7 seasons at minimum

(12-29-2019, 11:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-29-2019, 09:12 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Finished it up on Christmas. Good series. Figured the season would end the way it did. Which was good.

It was already renewed for season 2 before season one even launched. So we should at least get that. 

7 seasons? Wow! I like that on paper. We'll see.

(12-28-2019, 07:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: The only complaint I have is the casting of Triss. Looks nothing like her, other than that, I loved season 1

I've heard this complaint some, are you going by the way she looked in the game? Is it that her hair is more brown than red? Was there a description in the books of her that obviously deviates from how she looks in the show?

Hair color in the books is considered chestnut. Hair color in the games is red.

I like the lady playing as Triss in the show. She's pretty. It could have boiled down to acting over her hair color.

Imagine Kathy Griffin as Triss instead.

(12-29-2019, 01:38 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Hair color in the books is considered chestnut. Hair color in the games is red.

I like the lady playing as Triss in the show. She's pretty. It could have boiled down to acting over her hair color.

Imagine Kathy Griffin as Triss instead.

I didn't have a problem with the Triss actress at all, they got her character right. She's the kindest and most personable of the mages in the books from what I recall, and she's that way in the show too.

(12-29-2019, 11:34 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

The writer/creator of Bloodline said the same thing. The story was supposed to play out over 5 or 7 seasons but people got pissed they killed off the troublemaker brother played by Ben Mendelsen (sp) so Netflix had it wrapped up and done by season three. I loved the show and thought if folks hadn't blown a gasket and the creator had been able to tell it like they wanted, it would have been a good 5 year series.