Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Doug Marrone focusing on winning, not job security

Doug Marrone focusing on winning, not job security

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...b-security

A day after Tom Coughlin's departure, Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said the Jags' disappointment wasn't on one person and added he is focusing on ending the season strong rather than his job security.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like the mindset.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Whether he stays or goes, his management of the podium during a year in which his boss did inexplicable things then hung him out to dry has been admirable.

Doug Marrone's only realistic chance of remaining Jaguars HC is if Dave Caldwell remains GM. The odds seem against them to be retained.

(12-19-2019, 05:04 PM)D6 Wrote: Doug Marrone's only realistic chance of remaining Jaguars HC is if Dave Caldwell remains GM.   The odds seem against them to be retained.

If Caldwell stays, no way he fires Marrone. No coach is going to want to play for a lame duck GM.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

To be honest, I am really impressed with how Marrone handled this year, from the Foles injury to Ramsey to the Coughlin firing. His main mistake was benching Minshew in my opinion, but it was easy to understand at the time. He has been nothing but a class act. I think it will be hard for him to stay, given the dynamics of this situation, but if he wins 1 or 2 of the last Games he might go out on a positive note.

Rumblings around the team are Marrone and Caldwell are back next year not the D staff though.
No Fun

(12-19-2019, 05:04 PM)D6 Wrote: Doug Marrone's only realistic chance of remaining Jaguars HC is if Dave Caldwell remains GM.   The odds seem against them to be retained.

That's pretty much my initial thought.

However, one thing that I think about is Shad Khan doesn't strike me as someone to make sweeping changes with his key personnel.  Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect that both will remain employed until someone is hired to replace TC.  Shad Khan really knows nothing about running and managing a football team, hence that's why he hired TC to begin with.  I kind of think that he will hire someone else to fill the position that Coughlin had, and whoever that is will have the authority to make the decision.

At that point, whoever it is will determine if the GM and eventually the HC gets fired.

I just don't see Shad Khan as a "hands on" owner like a Jerry Jones.  He hires people to "take care of that".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-19-2019, 06:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

That's pretty much my initial thought.

However, one thing that I think about is Shad Khan doesn't strike me as someone to make sweeping changes with his key personnel.  Just a hunch on my part, but I suspect that both will remain employed until someone is hired to replace TC.  Shad Khan really knows nothing about running and managing a football team, hence that's why he hired TC to begin with.  I kind of think that he will hire someone else to fill the position that Coughlin had, and whoever that is will have the authority to make the decision.

At that point, whoever it is will determine if the GM and eventually the HC gets fired.

I just don't see Shad Khan as a "hands on" owner like a Jerry Jones.  He hires people to "take care of that".

I would hope that this experience shows Khan that the structure he had is not wise.  Hire a GM and empower him.  If he doesn't believe Caldwell is the guy, find one who can run the football side of the operation.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

[Image: 5eddabdf42bcf5c7691ce899b3495372.gif]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-19-2019, 06:05 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Rumblings around the team are Marrone and Caldwell are back next year not the D staff though.

I'd be ok with this

Just a reminder Caldwell took Bortles when Coughlin was not there.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-19-2019, 04:27 PM)TJBender Wrote: Whether he stays or goes, his management of the podium during a year in which his boss did inexplicable things then hung him out to dry has been admirable.

Honestly, this may be what I remember most fondly about Marrone. He served as human shield exceptionally well.

The Jags beatwriter world seems to be saying Dave either will, could, or should be back next year and we're starting to see some Marrone hype about how much the players like him. So I wouldn't be totally shocked if they're both back next year. Looks like TC is taking the blame for everything; next year might be a(nother) "prove it" year. I've got mixed feelings; I don't love Marrone as a coach, but as a person who's been tasked with handling this cluster, he's definitely gained my respect.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 12:21 AM by MalabarJag.)

(12-19-2019, 11:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just a reminder Caldwell took Bortles when Coughlin was not there.

True, and it was a mistake. But the Jags needed a QB. 

Caldwell claimed Bortles was the best available of the combined 2014-2015 draft prospects. Considering how well Winston was doing at FSU, I thought he was crazy. In retrospect Bortles wasn't the best, but there was no guy obviously much better. The other notable ones were Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Winston, Mariota, and Garoppolo. 

Garoppolo has played the best of the bunch, but at the time was an unknown. He had two years of development with Tom Brady and I doubt he'd be as good had the Jags drafted him and he developed under Gus Bradley. Carr is better than Bortles, but still not a franchise QB. Winston is better than Bortles, but once again not really the guy you want as your franchise QB. Bortles had streaks where he played as well as any of them. Too bad he never developed consistency.

The rest of the 2014 draft made up for the miss on Bortles. Robinson, Linder, and Telvin were all Pro Bowl level players at one time. Lee, Colvin, and Bowanko each had at least one good season with the Jags. The fact that they were once good and then faded is a black mark on the coaching staff, not the GM or scouts.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I think if we manage 7-9, Marrone keeps his job.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 08:21 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Wow, we have actually gotten to the place where people have pity for Doug Marrone?!?

Cue the Twilight Zone music......

He and his entire staff need to go.. Their inability to develop talent is mind blowing.

Stopping at Coughlin would be like draining a cyst and leaving the sac in there.

(12-20-2019, 08:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Wow, we have actually gotten to the place where people have pity for Doug Marrone?!?

Cue the Twilight Zone music......

He and his entire staff need to go.. Their inability to develop talent is mind blowing.

Stopping at Coughlin would be like draining a cyst and leaving the sac in there.
Thank you. This entire staff needs to be completely rooted out. It's unacceptable.

They lead the NFL with over 120 penalties for over 1100 yards lost and we still have two weeks left.

The amount of points and issues seen on defense this year along with the inconsistencies on the offensive line is insane.

The lack of 3rd down effectiveness and redzone effectiveness is due to lack luster play calling, predictable tendencies and mismanagement of player personnel.

Other than the TE position and LB position this year they've managed to stay relatively healthy. The 4 - 4 start with a free fall to 5 - 9 shouldn't happen with a coaching staff worth it's salt.

At the minimum. Marrone and his staff need to go. Caldwell. As much as I would prefer to see new blood in the front office with those draft picks in 2020 & 2021.

I have a sinking feeling he'll retain his job. And dodge his third bullet here. Which would be disgustingly impressive. But he needs to go as well.

Need a fresh start here bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'm warming to the idea of keeping Marrone, assuming no one that represents a clear upgrade is available or interested. I'm not convinced that Mike McCarthy would be any better, nor am I convinced that someone like Eric Bienemy would want to walk into this mess unless he is really sold on having Minshew to build around. I definitely would not be warm to the idea of Pioli/McDaniels for reasons I won't go back into again because they're pretty much the same reasons everyone else here has.

Marrone had the Bills to 9-7 in his second year after a 6-10 start, and as far as the quitting at the end of 2014 goes, let's see an honest show of hands here. If you were given the opportunity to quit your job voluntarily and collect $4 million for it, how many of you would not take advantage of that offer?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Who knows exactly when Coughlin started meddling. Maybe from the start, maybe not until the wheels came off in 2018. What I do see is players speaking up in support of Marrone. Ramsey even said shortly into his temper tantrum that he and Marrone were fine despite the sideline spat. That, plus reports from earlier in the offseason that tensions were high between Coughlin and the players--not between coaches and the players--suggest that a lot of the blame for 2019 does fall on the shoulders of Tom Coughlin undercutting Marrone and micromanaging players when he had no business doing so. Hanging Marrone out to dry at the podium is further evidence of total dysfunction that started at Coughlin's desk, and when you look at it in retrospect, Marrone actually did a pretty damn good job of handling questions he didn't have the answer to and seemingly wasn't being given answers to. That does call Caldwell into question: was he very intentionally not giving Marrone any help at Coughlin's demand, or was he actively in agreement with the apparent decision to keep Marrone in the dark?

None of this is to say "don't fire Marrone or Caldwell". If the opportunity to bring in a clear upgrade exists, do it. Marrone and Caldwell have done well to survive this storm and hold the locker room together late this year, even if the obvious distraction shows in the on-field result. They have not done well enough overall to be bulletproof. In the real world, sure, more often than not you can just fire someone whose results you're not totally happy with and have an underling ready to step up into the role. In the NFL, it's a little different. There are only so many men in the world who can build an NFL roster, and only so many more who can coach one. If the men you have in place to handle it aren't up to the job and there's an upgrade out there, cool, fire the ones you have. But if you're just firing for the sake of firing, well, eventually you become the Browns, where top-tier coaches have no interest in the opening (even with Baker F. Mayfield throwing it) and you wind up promoting your interim offensive coordinator who showed no signs of being ready to be an NFL head coach and, by all appearances, will never be ready to be an NFL head coach. If it's not the end of this year, it'll be the end of next when he's unceremoniously dumped and becomes the latest casualty for a team that has only kept one guy in the job for more than two seasons since 2008: Hue Jackson and his record-breaking 3-36-1 record.