Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you want to see?
Keep Both
Fire Caldwell, Keep Marrone
Fire Marrone, Keep Caldwell
Fire Both
[Show Results]

Poll: What do you want to see happen regarding GM and HC?

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 02:59 AM by p_rushing.)

(12-20-2019, 10:45 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: After hearing how the players talk about Marrone, I would be willing to give strong consideration of another year, as long as there are a lot of changes to the defensive coaches and offensive position coaching. Caldwell has largely been a figurehead the last 3 seasons, so would be okay with a change of even keeping him too, as long as the leash is short

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
The Jags need to get rid of any players that want to truly keep Marrone. They are too stupid to be successful anywhere.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-20-2019, 10:50 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Hard to say with Caldwell because he was operating under TC's shadow.  We don't really know if the personnel decisions (both good and bad) were all completely his.  I'm inclined to give him another year.

Marrone absolutely has to go.  Way too often the team just looked unprepared and outcoached.  Blown cover assignments, stupid penalties, that onside kick with about 12 minutes to go in the 4th!  At least line up in regular formation and try to fake it!

Why was TC brought here?  Oh yeah, I remember...DC was not doing a good job as GM.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

I really hope we hire a bunch of nobodies/garbage personal because usually the opposite of the intended results happen here.

Caldwell has selected very good players prior to TC and very good players w/TC. His evaluation process is good enough to be retained in my opinion. We know not what affect that TC had on Caldwell but we do know what effect TC had on the players.

TC Gone. Step #1 completed...

Marrone is an average HC to which TC retained because he, TC knew that Marrone would fall in line to be the YES Man, and it worked. That's not what we need in this day and era. As TC is an dinosaur (as projected by most), we need an young, up and coming HC that will run HIS own offense while calling the plays. This potential person needs to hire an DC that has plenty of defensive experience to whom may already be on staff. Hint, Hint. HINT!!!

This is how I envision our Jaguars in the future if we are demanding success in the near future and beyond. We need to identify, Court, Bribe, Beg, BLACKMALE this person into our team existence and we need to do it Now! W/that being said.

Keep Caldwell and jettison Marrone. There, I said it. Finally.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(12-21-2019, 07:55 AM)NH3 Wrote: Caldwell has selected very good players prior to TC and very good players w/TC. His evaluation process is good enough to be retained in my opinion. We know not what affect that TC had on Caldwell but we do know what effect TC had on the players.

TC Gone. Step #1 completed...

Marrone is an average HC to which TC  retained because he, TC knew that Marrone would fall in line to be the YES Man, and it worked. That's not what we need in this day and era. As TC is an dinosaur (as projected by most), we need an young, up and coming HC that will run HIS own offense while calling the plays. This potential person needs to hire an DC that has plenty of defensive experience to whom may already be on staff. Hint, Hint. HINT!!!

This is how I envision our Jaguars in the future if we are demanding success in the near future and beyond. We need to identify, Court, Bribe, Beg, BLACKMALE this person into our team existence and we need to do it Now! W/that being said.

Keep Caldwell and jettison Marrone. There, I said it. Finally.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Huh?

Look at the number of top 5 draft picks that Dave Caldwell has whiffed on.  Joeckel, Bortles, Fowler.  Heck, you can include Fournette in that list because he's definitely not lied up to the #4 draft pick status.  One of the worst salary cap situations in the NFL with a roster that is below average in talent, no true franchise QB, and no depth. The Jags are going to end up cutting a bunch of high-priced vets to clear salary cap room and they'll have a hard time filling the holes in 2020.  You're looking at a 4-12 season next year.  

The guy is awful and he should have been gone long ago.  One winning season since Caldwell came onboard in 2013.  There is no way you want this guy picking our 4 1st rounders in the next 2 years.

I predict Caldwell and Marrone will both be back. Hopefully they bring in a new DC and new OL coach though.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I'm not sure of the other aspects that Caldwell is involved in that has people talking about his seat being warm but he's surely drafted some good players, although he's missed on some, but he's drafted some really good ones. That's a positive. I'm not sure we should keep him because of that though as other guys can draft really good players too. So maybe there are other aspects of the job that he's not excelling at. As for DM, I don't know, me personally I prefer a clean sweep. I prefer someone with a more aggressive mindset on offense and especially on defense.

We have also done an excellent job of overrating the guys Dave has drafted as well. In my estimation he has drafted 4, probably 5, very good players in 7 drafts. Arob, Ramsey, Yannick, Allen, and Chark is on his way there. Linder is close. The rest of the guys that Dave usually gets credit for have never been very good. Not Jack, not Telvin, not Cam, not Dede.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 10:08 AM by Caldrac.)

I hope he's gone. Along with Marrone. Can't stress it enough. We've set ourselves back tremendously by doubling down on Marrone and Caldwell. The results speak for themselves.

We could have had Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay or Sean McDermott in 2017 instead of Doug Marrone.

Could have possibly had Doug Pederson back in 2016 had this [BLEEP] team said enough is enough with the ice cream parties between the garbage results produced between 2013 - 2015.

But they asked for one more scoop on top with extra sprinkles please. Since, you know? It was built right? The house was built?

The fact that some of you on here are "fine" or "okay" with them returning is petrifying. They're horrible. They [BLEEP] suck. Caldwell's decisions from over the last 7 years have netted this team one fluke and freak appearance in a game they didn't deserve to be in.

That's basically it. Sure, 2013's first round class was weak. Big [BLEEP] deal. He's had how many seasons now? Too many if you ask me. Khan's patience is admirable but horrible at the same time.

I'll give you three years. That's it. You give me two years of being above .500 or right at .500 and I'll consider extending your contract going into year four and beyond.

But [BLEEP]. To constantly double down on mediocrity? Stop it. Enough is enough. Caldwell doesn't have 'it'. Doug Marrone doesn't have 'it'. They need to GO!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I've had Caldwell's back for a long time and I still value the good things he was able to accomplish in bringing talent to the team we hadn't seen under Gene Smith. (Yes, yes, I know better than Smith isn't saying much)
At this point a case could be made around the merits of retaining him, but there are plenty of strikes against him as well. While Coughlin was clearly part of the problem the past three years and we may never know what role DC played in certain personnel decisions - the Myles Jack and Bortles extensions are fresh in my mind as grave mistakes.

We now know that not extending Ngakoue was a Coughlin issue and so one can only speculate how domineering TC may have been with other decisions since he arrived. (Fournette at #4, Smoot over OL/TE, Bortles ext, Foles signing etc)

Nonetheless - I'm more inclined to part ways with Caldwell than keep him at this point. I think a new coaching staff is an absolute necessity now and I'm not positive Caldwell is the guy I want leading that HC hire.

I think it's time for a coaching staff with a modern offensive philosophy and a GM that is well in tune with that vision.
I'm not so sure Caldwell couldn't be part of that equation, but I'm skeptical enough to feel like moving on is probably the call.

(12-21-2019, 10:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I hope he's gone. Along with Marrone. Can't stress it enough. We've set ourselves back tremendously by doubling down on Marrone and Caldwell. The results speak for themselves.

We could have had Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay or Sean McDermott in 2017 instead of Doug Marrone.

Could have possibly had Doug Pederson back in 2016 had this [BLEEP] team said enough is enough with the ice cream parties between the garbage results produced between 2013 - 2015.

But they asked for one more scoop on top with extra sprinkles please. Since, you know? It was built right? The house was built?

The fact that some of you on here are "fine" or "okay" with them returning is petrifying. They're horrible. They [BLEEP] suck. Caldwell's decisions from over the last 7 years have netted this team one fluke and freak appearance in a game they didn't deserve to be in.

That's basically it. Sure, 2013's first round class was weak. Big [BLEEP] deal. He's had how many seasons now? Too many if you ask me. Khan's patience is admirable but horrible at the same time.

I'll give you three years. That's it. You give me two years of being above .500 or right at .500 and I'll consider extending your contract going into year four and beyond.

But [BLEEP]. To constantly double down on mediocrity? Stop it. Enough is enough. Caldwell doesn't have 'it'. Doug Marrone doesn't have 'it'. They need to GO!

Spot on.  

The fans that want to settle for Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns level of success need to go elsewhere.

Marrone and Wash HAVE to go. No more excuses, no more we will be better, it's been the same mistakes all year. You cant blame every little problem on Coughlin, theyve all played their part in this mess.

(12-20-2019, 04:31 PM)nhiverson Wrote: I am ok with giving them one more year if Marrone hires new assistants..

Good assistants are going to have better options than moving to Jacksonville for "one more year".
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 05:07 PM by JagFan81.)

(12-21-2019, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've had Caldwell's back for a long time and I still value the good things he was able to accomplish in bringing talent to the team we hadn't seen under Gene Smith. (Yes, yes, I know better than Smith isn't saying much)
At this point a case could be made around the merits of retaining him, but there are plenty of strikes against him as well.  While Coughlin was clearly part of the problem the past three years and we may never know what role DC played in certain personnel decisions  - the Myles Jack and Bortles extensions are fresh in my mind as grave mistakes.

We now know that not extending Ngakoue was a Coughlin issue and so one can only speculate how domineering TC may have been with other decisions since he arrived. (Fournette at #4, Smoot over OL/TE, Bortles ext, Foles signing etc)

Nonetheless - I'm more inclined to part ways with Caldwell than keep him at this point.  I think a new coaching staff is an absolute necessity now and I'm not positive Caldwell is the guy I want leading that HC hire.

I think it's time for a coaching staff with a modern offensive philosophy and a GM that is well in tune with that vision.
I'm not so sure Caldwell couldn't be part of that equation, but I'm skeptical enough to feel like moving on is probably the call.

Good post. This is it really. We will never know what was down to Coughlin and what was down to Caldwell. We can guess but we wont know. I'm learning towards moving on as well. The thing for me, while we can try and put mistakes on people, I look at what either could call accomplishments. 

That's somewhere I find Caldwell lacking. Theres as many misses as hits in draft, FA and roster depth. I dont know what I'd look at and say 'we have to keep this guy'.

(12-21-2019, 04:12 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 10:08 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I hope he's gone. Along with Marrone. Can't stress it enough. We've set ourselves back tremendously by doubling down on Marrone and Caldwell. The results speak for themselves.

Spot on.  

The fans that want to settle for Detroit Lions or Cleveland Browns level of success need to go elsewhere.

Where should the people go that are dumb enough to believe that any fan on the planet aspires to "Cleveland Browns?" 

Better yet, why do you want to run off fans of a small market team in the first place? 
We kind-of need all the help we can get! 

LOL

Time to hit the nuclear option
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 09:45 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(12-20-2019, 10:45 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: After hearing how the players talk about Marrone, I would be willing to give strong consideration of another year, as long as there are a lot of changes to the defensive coaches and offensive position coaching. Caldwell has largely been a figurehead the last 3 seasons, so would be okay with a change of even keeping him too, as long as the leash is short

They loved Gus Bradley too!

Caldwell has missed on just about every first round pick he has made. You want to trust him with 4 more in the next 2 years. Insanity!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-21-2019, 09:42 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

They loved Gus Bradley too!
Completely different team than what Gus dealt with. Also, Marrone has had Tom bearing down on his every move each year he was here (and still managed a deep playoff run.....), while Gus had very little FO intervention.