Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jaguars' changes could be limited to Tom Coughlin firing (merged)

(12-22-2019, 10:02 AM)Jags Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 09:46 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Exactly. Tom was running practice? Tom was calling O and D plays? Tom was holding team meetings?

Coughlin had to go, but I cant get my head round people putting it all on him. Take Foles and Minshew. If Marrone wanted Minshew and Coughlin wanted Foles, I kind of judge the HC that does what he doesn't want to. 

Those 5 games were as rough as I've ever seen, I keep thinking about that line in Breaking Bad. You took a half measure when you should have gone all the way.

I dont want to be here next year, 5-9 and wondering why we are here again.

I’m not going to go out of my way to defend Marrone.  But, in regards to your second paragraph, it was reported that Marrone and Coughlin were hollering at each other after the game Foles was benched.  So, even if TC wanted Foles at first, (and I think the majority of us thought starting Foles when healthy was the right move) doesn’t sound like DM was doing as he said.  Sounds more like he saw enough of Foles and perhaps separate himself from a sinking ship.  If that’s the case, you can’t fault him for that.  

Today, I’ll be looking at how the team responds after the TC firing.  Seems like many players are relieved based off social media.  

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not necessarily advocating keeping anyone.  Just almost seems like it is possible TC was/is the bigger issue.

Welp, That answers my questions.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-23-2019, 06:58 AM)Jags Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 10:02 AM)Jags Wrote: I’m not going to go out of my way to defend Marrone.  But, in regards to your second paragraph, it was reported that Marrone and Coughlin were hollering at each other after the game Foles was benched.  So, even if TC wanted Foles at first, (and I think the majority of us thought starting Foles when healthy was the right move) doesn’t sound like DM was doing as he said.  Sounds more like he saw enough of Foles and perhaps separate himself from a sinking ship.  If that’s the case, you can’t fault him for that.  

Today, I’ll be looking at how the team responds after the TC firing.  Seems like many players are relieved based off social media.  

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not necessarily advocating keeping anyone.  Just almost seems like it is possible TC was/is the bigger issue.

Welp, That answers my questions.

A  Coughlin
B  Caldwell
C  Marrone
D  All of the above

The correct answer is D.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(12-23-2019, 07:13 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 06:58 AM)Jags Wrote: Welp, That answers my questions.

A  Coughlin
B  Caldwell
C  Marrone
D  All of the above

The correct answer is D.

After watching yesterday’s game, any benefit of the doubt is gone.  For some reason I was expecting the team to come out strong and play hard.  Whatever was I thinking?  I should’ve known better.  They’ve done duped me again.

(12-23-2019, 07:20 AM)Jags Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 07:13 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: A  Coughlin
B  Caldwell
C  Marrone
D  All of the above

The correct answer is D.

After watching yesterday’s game, any benefit of the doubt is gone.  For some reason I was expecting the team to come out strong and play hard.  Whatever was I thinking?  I should’ve known better.  They’ve done duped me again.

Isn't it possible that they did play hard, but they're just no good?

I particularly enjoyed the part of Marrone’s presser where he said the Falcons stunts got the best of the offensive line...ya know, his specialty. I half wonder if the line maybe isn’t that bad, they just aren’t coached worth anything

(12-23-2019, 08:29 AM)PS9 Wrote: I particularly enjoyed the part of Marrone’s presser where he said the Falcons stunts got the best of the offensive line...ya know, his specialty. I half wonder if the line maybe isn’t that bad, they just aren’t coached worth anything

I think the o-line would indeed manage better performances with some proper coaching and the same can be said at basically every position group except DL, WR and maybe QB. 

I still think they should draft a LT early and a guard prior to the 4th round in 2020.

(12-23-2019, 08:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 08:29 AM)PS9 Wrote: I particularly enjoyed the part of Marrone’s presser where he said the Falcons stunts got the best of the offensive line...ya know, his specialty. I half wonder if the line maybe isn’t that bad, they just aren’t coached worth anything

I think the o-line would indeed manage better performances with some proper coaching and the same can be said at basically every position group except DL, WR and maybe QB. 

I still think they should draft a LT early and a guard prior to the 4th round in 2020.

The Bucs line has definitely been better this year while the Jags line looks even worse than last year's.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-23-2019, 08:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

This.

The OL coaching is terrible, and since it's Marrone's specialty he gets the blame whether or not he had any hand in it. There are some decent assistants we will lose if we clean house, but unfortunately it needs to be done.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-23-2019, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 07:20 AM)Jags Wrote: After watching yesterday’s game, any benefit of the doubt is gone.  For some reason I was expecting the team to come out strong and play hard.  Whatever was I thinking?  I should’ve known better.  They’ve done duped me again.

Isn't it possible that they did play hard, but they're just no good?

Idk.  For the first time in a very long time, I stopped watching just after halftime and did something productive.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 09:25 AM by Upper.)

(12-23-2019, 12:54 AM)rhanna2 Wrote: After watching yesterday’s game, any benefit of the doubt is gone.  For some reason I was expecting the team to come out strong and play hard.  Whatever was I thinking?  I should’ve known better.  They’ve done duped me again.

It's almost like the 5 weeks of historic ineptitude was probably more indicative of our team than a single semi fluky comeback against a bad Raiders team.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 09:35 AM by MoJagFan.)

(12-23-2019, 09:25 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 12:54 AM)rhanna2 Wrote: After watching yesterday’s game, any benefit of the doubt is gone.  For some reason I was expecting the team to come out strong and play hard.  Whatever was I thinking?  I should’ve known better.  They’ve done duped me again.

It's almost like the 5 weeks of historic ineptitude was probably more indicative of our team than a single semi fluky comeback against a bad Raiders team.

And 2017 is a fluky convergence of a lucky break of a year.  How often do you get to play backups consistently at QB?  It is depressing when you look at this franchise and how it has been run.

For the Weaver ownership you have an amazing run from 1996 to 1999 where you win the division go to the playoffs 4 years running but lose in 2 AFC Championship games.  Then you have false hope with back to back winning seasons for the first time since 1999 only to have one playoff year in 2007.

For the Khan years, you have a strong nostalgia for a mirage season in 2017 and then you keep justifying everything as well we were just so close in 2017.  They are ignoring the absolute good luck that was involved with that season.  This team has chased bad decision with worse decisions at ever turn.

Honestly they should give up the obsession with the Patriot way because it is tainted with cheating.  I would prefer they looked at what the Ravens did under Ozzie Newsome and then the follow up they have with that team.

Overall this team has no direction and doesn't draft, develop or coach with any semblance of a plan.  Early on the goal was to build a defense and grow an offense but we are left with a pass rush that doesn't get set free because we don't get leads.

EDIT:
Why would you want to ground and pound when your defense is setup to feast on a lead?  Why wouldn't you air it out early in games and take advantage of play action because you are known as a "run team"?  Ah that would take planning.  So sick of stacked boxes and bonehead running into a wall.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/120910...77985?s=20

Man, I wish he'd said 91%

Tongue

The sell is on...… hat tip from O-Zone overnight (I figured this would happen)

This was a common refrain in the inbox Sunday evening, and it leads to the most common question among Jaguars observers these days: What will happen with General Manager David Caldwell and Head Coach Doug Marrone at season’s end? I’m understandably getting similar questions about defensive coordinator Todd Wash and offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. While Jaguars Owner Shad Khan relieved Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin of his duties Wednesday, multiple reliable reports are that Khan would prefer to retain Caldwell/Marrone. I get the same feeling, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what is announced sometime after next Sunday’s regular-season finale. I’m less certain about the coordinators because that’s a second level and the first level must get decided first. I agree with many observers and fans that it’s hard to imagine significant changes not happening considering the results of the second half of the season. Coughlin’s dismissal represent change. Is it significant enough, or is there more? Stay tuned.

Stay Tuned my backside. They are going to give DC/Marrone the rest of their contract. That is my 2020 Disaster prediction.
The Khan Years

Good grief. So instead of hitting reset, we're just resetting back to 2016?
A time when Caldwell had hired a failed coach and drafted a failing QB top 5. A time when our defense was good not great and we had no run game and poor OL play.

I hope we flame out so hard vs the clots and the seats are so empty that Khan has no choice but to start over.
2020 with Marrone and Caldwell is going to be a hard sell to fans... even if Wash and Flip are swapped out. (What quality coordinators are wanting a 1 year job with lame duck coaches and managers?)

le sigh

(12-23-2019, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/120910...77985?s=20

Man, I wish he'd said 91%

Tongue

I guess they want to kill my acceptance stage of grief.  There is always anger.  Man it sure seems like they are trying to destroy the fan base.  Is there a portion of the base that believes we are "close" to competitive?  I could be too close to the futility of it all but jeez come on.
The Khan Years

(12-23-2019, 09:53 AM)Kane Wrote: Good grief. So instead of hitting reset, we're just resetting back to 2016?
A time when Caldwell had hired a failed coach and drafted a failing QB top 5. A time when our defense was good not great and we had no run game and poor OL play.

I hope we flame out so hard vs the clots and the seats are so empty that Khan has no choice but to start over.
2020 with Marrone and Caldwell is going to be a hard sell to fans... even if Wash and Flip are swapped out. (What quality coordinators are wanting a 1 year job with lame duck coaches and managers?)

le sigh

Well, that's a given.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-23-2019, 09:53 AM)Kane Wrote: Good grief. So instead of hitting reset, we're just resetting back to 2016?

le sigh

There contract is for more than 1 year.  If you ignore what is right in front of your eyes, then what does next year matter?  This is a 2 year "plan" and hey Caldwell got 2 years of extra first round picks right?  I mean shouldn't he get to use them?    UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I guess they figure Fake Moustaches will fill the seats.
The Khan Years

I don't know if any of this smoke has fire behind it, but I'm not really down with bringing back Marrone if these speculations have merit.

The penalties, the o-line play and OL coach hire, the sticking by Wash's scheme and play calls - that's all just too much for me to stomach personally.

I want a new head coach with a contemporary offensive philosophy.

(12-23-2019, 09:56 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:

le sigh

I guess they figure Fake Moustaches will fill the seats.

Except he's no longer playing above the x's and o's.
He looks like a 6th round rookie surrounded by 6th round rookies. That's not me faulting or piling on the young man. I still think he has the chance to develop into a legit starting QB. But the magic has waned quite a bit for me looking at the offensive output by an offense that really isn't much different from when the kid was balling earlier this year. He's got Chark, Conley, and Westbrook. The OL isn't starting street FAs in the way the D is having to in spots... The TE has been a weakness since forever.
This team has so many weaknesses it's hard to imagine Minshew carrying the team. Not sure he'll ever be that kind of QB.

And based on Caldwell's run prior to Coughlin being brought in to overreach oversee things... I'm not confident he can add enough in one draft.

Maybe the tinfoil hat fans were right... maybe Khan wants to lose to move?

Yeah Minshew is still exciting to a degree. I don't fault him either. He has enough deficiencies that put him in the 6th round but he does have a nice work ethic and a base that can be built on. I'm not sure it matters really. I loved the earlier posts and discussions about the owner talking to players. What the heck did he think they would say about the coaches. They were all like Ding Dong the witch is dead with Coughlin being fired but come on.

Honestly it is despicable and petty how TC violated rules and ran roughshod over the players. I'm glad he is gone because he really drove this team into the ground since arriving here. Sure seems like that was a nostalgia heart string play in hindsight.

Like an addict, I'll be back again to see it all fail again and again.
The Khan Years