Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are we being Major Leagued?

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 10:55 AM by HolsterHusto.)

Maybe I am being dramatic but the rumors of Marrone and Caldwell sticking around got me worried. I can’t think of any good reason why the Jags aren’t planning on cleaning house.

You also got Alex Webber stating the NFL would like a London team in 2022, which would match well with the new CBA negotiations. Then there is Craig Kline, who used to work for Khan (also might be insane) saying the Jags are going to London in 2022.

I have to think if the Jags keep Marrone/Caldwell then the attendance will be abysmal next year. I feel like we usually brush the London thing off, but where there is smoke there is usually fire. Please talk me off the ledge.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Can't say it won't happen, but there has never been a team moved because of attendance.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Wasn't the whole premise of Major League that the contract with the city could be voided if attendance dropped below a certain threshold?

I'm pretty sure if Khan wanted to up and move the team he would do so even if we had a packed house. Besides, if he really is moving the team to London, I'm assuming he'd want the team to actually be in a good shape before he did so. People in London don't want to pull for a 2-14 team either.

Yes, been saying this for years. If Caldwell and Marrone keep their jobs, then the question will be answered.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 11:10 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-23-2019, 10:51 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Maybe I am being dramatic but the rumors of Marrone and Caldwell sticking around got me worried. I can’t think of any good reason why the Jags aren’t planning on cleaning house.

You also got Alex Webber stating the NFL would like a London team in 2022, which would match well with the new CBA negotiations. Then there is Craig Kline, who used to work for Khan (also might be insane) saying the Jags are going to London in 2022.

I have to think if the Jags keep Marrone/Caldwell then the attendance will be abysmal next year. I feel like we usually brush the London thing off, but where there is smoke there is usually fire. Please talk me off the ledge.

I think you should go ahead and jump.

On a more serious note, this is something I brought up myself a few weeks ago.  Right now, my opinion is, it's about 50-50 whether they are intentionally destroying the fan base so they can move.  On the other hand, if they do manage to destroy the fan base, no one will care if they move.  Me, I'll just play more golf, or go fishing, or watch other teams.  I pay for RedZone, but I never watch it because I'm watching the Jags.  I switched channels yesterday, and wow, this guy Drew Brees is pretty good.

(12-23-2019, 10:51 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Maybe I am being dramatic but the rumors of Marrone and Caldwell sticking around got me worried. I can’t think of any good reason why the Jags aren’t planning on cleaning house.

• Khan's actions around Jax and the stadium aren't congruent with some "scheme" to relocate. 
  • The NFL is never moving one solitary team to the UK/Europe - It'll take a division to work logistically
  • Attendance issues take profitability from Khan and he keeps investing into various marketing strategies and roster additions that are designed to BOOST attendance year after year
  • The rumors so far are nothing but speculation - Speculation that is directly refuted by Khan's own statement at the end of the 2018 season
  • Marrone's team leads the league in penalties and can't stop a RB to save it's life  - Are we really so sure he's safe based on a few rumors? 

(12-23-2019, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

• Khan's actions around Jax and the stadium aren't congruent with some "scheme" to relocate. 
  • The NFL is never moving one solitary team to the UK/Europe - It'll take a division to work logistically
  • Attendance issues take profitability from Khan and he keeps investing into various marketing strategies and roster additions that are designed to BOOST attendance year after year
  • The rumors so far are nothing but speculation - Speculation that is directly refuted by Khan's own statement at the end of the 2018 season
  • Marrone's team leads the league in penalties and can't stop a RB to save it's life  - Are we really so sure he's safe based on a few rumors? 

I think I would feel better if/when Lot J breaks ground. It wouldn’t make any sense to build all that if the team is going to move.

Attendance in Jax has generally never had a truly abysmal year although you could say 2009 came pretty close to qualifying. There were a lot of factors that went into that beyond a horribly disappointing year on the field the previous year.  I supposed Shad could be concocting a scheme to make the team awful to lower attendance as a justification to move but if he wanted to do that, why not just announce that he wants to move? That would do more to kill attendance faster than anything else. Then you've got the efforts he's made in terms of investing in the city and reiterating that his plans for the Jaguars are to remain in Jax for the long term. I really believe the Jaguars struggles are unintentional.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Don't they have to prove losses for 3+ years or something like that to even be eligible to move?

The mind goes to conspiracy but it is actually harder to have the required collusion to pull this off then to just come out and announce you are moving. The franchise has a very very brief period of success. Most of the effort has been futility and incompetence. I couldn't run it better I admit but I could get the same results with running the team like a Madden virtualization.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

There's far too much smoke about the NFL wanting a team to London for them not to attempt it eventually.

Not possible in the current NFL but we will know a lot more after CBA + Shad will eventually demand his palace in Jacksonville

I think they fire Marrone and keep Caldwell. Only way I see Marrone keeping his job is if we blow the colts out at home in exciting fashion.. which I wouldn’t count on. And even that’s a stretch. Guess we’ll see.

Khan continues to invest in stadium improvements and fan accommodations. It is rumoured the 2020 improvements will include replacement turf for the dog park, the introduction of Mr. Pibb products at the concessions and new light bulbs in all the restrooms.

(12-23-2019, 11:50 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Don't they have to prove losses for 3+ years or something like that to even be eligible to move?

They can break the stadium lease without penalty if they show losses for three consecutive years. But the NFL would never allow a team to open its books, its internal accounting is too much of a secret for the league, the NFL would much rather pay the city whatever penalty their entitled to. If Khan really wanted to move the team, but the penalty formed an obstacle to that goal, the league would find some way to compensate him for the losses.

Jaguars lease runs through 2029 (it's the most ironclad of contracts too). The Jags cannot & will not move before then.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(12-23-2019, 06:36 PM)Firesky Wrote: Jaguars lease runs through 2029 (it's the most ironclad of contracts too). The Jags cannot & will not move before then.

Anything can happen if they're willing to pay the costs. If it can happen in Cleveland, it can happen here.

(12-23-2019, 06:36 PM)Firesky Wrote: Jaguars lease runs through 2029 (it's the most ironclad of contracts too). The Jags cannot & will not move before then.

They can, they'd just have to pay about 100 million in penalties and probably some other expenses. If he wants to leave, no contract will stop him.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-23-2019, 11:50 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Don't they have to prove losses for 3+ years or something like that to even be eligible to move?

That's to break the lease without penalty. In the modern age, there is no such thing as an NFL team losing money. Now, after the new CBA comes out, that might change for small markets.

(12-23-2019, 01:44 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I think they fire Marrone and keep Caldwell. Only way I see Marrone keeping his job is if we blow the colts out at home in exciting fashion.. which I wouldn’t count on. And even that’s a stretch. Guess we’ll see.

I think Caldwell survives this, and if he does, I think he fires Marrone. Think about it: if Caldwell keeps Marrone, there will be the expectation of continuity breeding success, and both guys are back on the hot seat next year. If Caldwell fires Marrone and brings in a new coach, he'll get a little bit of leeway beyond next season. This is not a roster that will be ready for the playoffs in 2020, and Caldwell is putting himself in a no-win scenario if he keeps Marrone around to find out.

Why does anyone think Caldwell keeps his job? He's whiffed repeatedly on top 5 draft picks, the roster has no depth and the talent level of the starters is bottom third in the league. Caldwell has 1 winning season since he joined the Jags in 2013. The salary cap situation is a mess and 2020 will be worse than 2019.

Just where does any justification for keeping around come from? Caldwell whiffed on Bortles in the draft, doubled-down and gave him a fat contract extension, then blew it again with Foles. If Caldwell is the best the Jags can get, then the team might as well move to London.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]