Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lets talk Fournette

(01-02-2020, 02:32 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 02:31 PM)Rico Wrote: And?  Who said he was?

No one.

We've been spoiled as a fan base when it comes to RBs though.. and LF is just too average to have the fanbase really care about him.

Or it's the fact that he was taken #4 overall and isn't even anywhere close to being the best RB from his draft class. Honestly, you could make an argument that he's the worst RB from that class..

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...1651706880

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-02-2020, 09:18 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 02:32 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No one.

We've been spoiled as a fan base when it comes to RBs though.. and LF is just too average to have the fanbase really care about him.

Or it's the fact that he was taken #4 overall and isn't even anywhere close to being the best RB from his draft class. Honestly, you could make an argument that he's the worst RB from that class..

That list makes me sick to my stomach. That's probably one of the deepest classes in years and we took the "throwback" option.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-02-2020, 09:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 09:18 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Or it's the fact that he was taken #4 overall and isn't even anywhere close to being the best RB from his draft class. Honestly, you could make an argument that he's the worst RB from that class..

That list makes me sick to my stomach. That's probably one of the deepest classes in years and we took the "throwback" option.

Yup, it really is depressing to look at  Sick

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2020, 10:57 PM by SeldomRite.)

The reluctance of some to admit he is a massive bust at #4 overall is crazy. Admitting he was a bad pick doesn't make his production worse. He's going to stink whether they admit it or not.

Yet he just broke MJD's record for total yards from scrimmage this year.

Oh Ouch. That's painful reading.

Having Fournette in a contract year may be the best test we can give him. Theres the bar. Prove your worth it.

(01-02-2020, 10:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 09:18 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Or it's the fact that he was taken #4 overall and isn't even anywhere close to being the best RB from his draft class. Honestly, you could make an argument that he's the worst RB from that class..

The reluctance of some to admit he is a massive bust at #4 overall is crazy. Admitting he was a bad pick doesn't make his production worse. He's going to stink whether they admit it or not.

Seems like the vast majority of fans indeed believe he was overdrafted, so not sure what you mean there. Of course "bust" is an insanely inaccurate term.

Saying "he's going to stink" doesn't make much sense here either.
 Players who "stink" don't average 4 YPC behind a bad 2019 line, while racking up 1150 yards and another 520 through the air. 

The dude lacks vision and wiggle but has proven to be productive despite those lacking in those areas. 
I didn't want him at 4, I still am not much of a fan, but I appreciate what he did this season and I don't think he "stinks."  He's just not the type of RB I'd prefer dominating touches for my team. 

You're not willing to see him for what he is after painting yourself into a corner by comparing him to a lesser football player.

The craziest part about that RB class. Or most 1st RD picks taken from the last few years.

Despite some of them having lofty numbers and individual success.

None of them are on a play off team. Fournette, McCaffrey, Barkley from last year. Elliott from his class.

Michel barely made it. You can't our run a great QB and passing attack in today's NFL. Yet some teams try it anyway.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This team hasn't had a decent Oline for many years. We had a very special RB in MJD, who could make something out of nothing behind a faltering front line.

Since MJD left, no RB has been able to look anything more than serviceable. Fournette is a decent back, but doesn't have the moves that MJD did to cover the defencies of the Oline. This team needs a more shifty running back/scat back. Seeing the other posted RB's that were drafted in 2017 is painful.

Fournette did have those several long runs this year that he bounced outside to the left, which helped his overall yards per carry. But too many plays just getting crushed at the line.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 07:45 AM by SeldomRite.)

(01-02-2020, 11:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Yet he just broke MJD's record for total yards from scrimmage this year.

If your point is he managed to play fifteen games with the coaching staff working as hard as they could to try to justify his existence by feeding him the ball even when it was clear he wasn't going to do much with it then okay, I guess that's worthy of note.

Still I think managing to play in most of the games is the least that should be expected of any drafted player. That he was run into waiting a defender's arms, or tossed a checkdown pass so often is not a particularly noteworthy thing in my mind. But, hey, you do you.

(01-02-2020, 10:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

A 'massive bust' and a bad pick are two different things completely.  He is not a bust.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-03-2020, 07:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 11:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Yet he just broke MJD's record for total yards from scrimmage this year.

If your point is he managed to play fifteen games with the coaching staff working as hard as they could to try to justify his existence by feeding him the ball even when it was clear he wasn't going to do much with it then okay, I guess that's worthy of note.

Still I think managing to play in most of the games is the least that should be expected of any drafted player. That he was run into waiting a defender's arms, or tossed a checkdown pass so often is not a particularly noteworthy thing in my mind. But, hey, you do you.

Wasn't that exactly what they did with MJD?  Who was taking carries or catches away from him when he was setting the previous mark? Why can't we be glad that he didn't just roll over and die when he ended up in the doghouse? He has no control over where he was picked. We picked him where we did to make him the workhorse, and guess what, that's what he did.

What is the expectation for him? 2k yards? Running the turf right out the stadium? Buying all season ticket holders a jersey? I don't get it.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 09:46 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-03-2020, 09:40 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 07:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If your point is he managed to play fifteen games with the coaching staff working as hard as they could to try to justify his existence by feeding him the ball even when it was clear he wasn't going to do much with it then okay, I guess that's worthy of note.

Wasn't that exactly what they did with MJD?  Who was taking carries or catches away from him when he was setting the previous mark? Why can't we be glad that he didn't just roll over and die when he ended up in the doghouse? He has no control over where he was picked. We picked him where we did to make him the workhorse, and guess what, that's what he did.

What is the expectation for him? 2k yards? Running the turf right out the stadium? Buying all season ticket holders a jersey? I don't get it.

For me... he's just so boring to watch. He runs straight ahead and falls down. There's nothing special about his game. I think that's why a lot of people don't think he's very good.

I'm not saying he's terrible.. he's just average and boring.

With Freddy every play could be electric; that cutback was a thing of beauty, probably best in league history.

MJD you never knew what could happen... group of three tackle him, he squirts out the other side for a TD.

We've been blessed with electrifying RB play in the past

(01-03-2020, 07:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: If your point is he managed to play fifteen games with the coaching staff working as hard as they could to try to justify his existence by feeding him the ball even when it was clear he wasn't going to do much with it then okay, I guess that's worthy of note.

Even if he hit 2k yards, he'd still be a "bust" to a lot of people here.

Too many people get wrapped up in draft position, just like with Alualu. It's not the player's fault they were taken where they were, not everyone can be a steal.

The difference was MJD legitimately did things with the ball beyond what the team around him was providing. He also had 11 TDs in 2011.

It's an insult to MJD to even compared the two, really. MJD was a special player that made plays above the X's and O's. Fournette is not a special player and the best you can say about him at this point is at least he improved as a pass blocker.

(01-03-2020, 09:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 09:40 AM)Mikey Wrote: Wasn't that exactly what they did with MJD?  Who was taking carries or catches away from him when he was setting the previous mark? Why can't we be glad that he didn't just roll over and die when he ended up in the doghouse? He has no control over where he was picked. We picked him where we did to make him the workhorse, and guess what, that's what he did.

The difference was MJD legitimately did things with the ball beyond what the team around him was providing. He also had 11 TDs in 2011.

It's an insult to MJD to even compared the two, really. MJD was a special player that made plays above the X's and O's. Fournette is not a special player and the best you can say about him at this point is at least he improved as a pass blocker.

Your Fournette takes are slowly beginning to catch up to your Gabbert takes in terms of the willful wearing of blinders it must require to type them.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 11:34 AM by SeldomRite.)

(01-03-2020, 10:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 09:56 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The difference was MJD legitimately did things with the ball beyond what the team around him was providing. He also had 11 TDs in 2011.

Your Fournette takes are slowly beginning to catch up to your Gabbert takes in terms of the willful wearing of blinders it must require to type them.

It would help if your disagreements with me amounted to more than "you're wrong."

The analytics on the guy aren't kind, and if you're wanting to hang your hat on amassed "productivity" then maybe you'd like to have 2015 Blake Bortles, too. Sometimes the stats don't tell the real story. 1000 yards from him sure doesn't, but the 3 TDs does.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 11:49 AM by RicoTx.)

(01-03-2020, 11:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Your Fournette takes are slowly beginning to catch up to your Gabbert takes in terms of the willful wearing of blinders it must require to type them.

It would help if your disagreements with me amounted to more than "you're wrong."

The analytics on the guy aren't kind, and if you're wanting to hang your hat on amassed "productivity" then maybe you'd like to have 2015 Blake Bortles, too. Sometimes the stats don't tell the real story. 1000 yards from him sure doesn't, but the 3 TDs does.

So we just discount all of the times he put them into scoring position and focus only on touchdowns?  And any particular reason we're only focusing on this year when he had 10 TDs his first year in only 13 games and 6 TDs his second year in only 8 games?  

You're right, sometimes stats don't tell the real story.  Or better yet, when stats are nitpicked they can show whatever you want them to.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-03-2020, 11:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:16 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Your Fournette takes are slowly beginning to catch up to your Gabbert takes in terms of the willful wearing of blinders it must require to type them.

Oh, please...

You said his ceiling was Richardson. Richardson flamed out in his third year. Fournette had to account for the shortcomings of a woeful offense in his third year and he produced good results.  Please tell me how you AREN'T wrong. 

And please don't try to "hang your hat" on touchdowns. Anyone with one working eyeball saw this team struggle in the redzone most of the season and it wasn't only Fournette's skillset holding them back. The board was littered every week with posters begging Flip to alter the run scheme inside the 10 yd line. 

It's hilarious I don't really even like the player, but I can see how bad your take on him is even though I'm in no way inclined to defend him.

(01-03-2020, 11:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 11:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It would help if your disagreements with me amounted to more than "you're wrong."

Oh, please...

You said his ceiling was Richardson. Richardson flamed out in his third year. Fournette had to account for the shortcomings of a woeful offense in his third year and he produced good results.  Please tell me how you AREN'T wrong. 

And please don't try to "hang your hat" on touchdowns. Anyone with one working eyeball saw this team struggle in the redzone most of the season and it wasn't only Fournette's skillset holding them back. The board was littered every week with posters begging Flip to alter the run scheme inside the 10 yd line. 

It's hilarious I don't really even like the player, but I can see how bad your take on him is even though I'm in no way inclined to defend him.

Everything you say there is either wrong or nonsensical in the context of what we're talking about. I wouldn't be shocked if Fournette is out of the league after his rookie contract, but we'll see. I'd be surprised if this team even picks up his fifth year option.

If the Jaguars don't pick it up what does that say about him?

As for the rest, we saw Fournette lose yardage in the red zone plenty of times and get stopped at point blank range against the Texans to lose the game. The problem with your argument is it exposes the weakness of your position by itself. Complaints about scheme and such.

A guy that fails because of scheme at running back is a bust of a pick at number four overall. At that draft position you should be getting guys like Jalen Ramsey or Josh Allen. Guys that will be winners at their position and make it easier for the coach to scheme wins, not guys that the coach gets headaches about because he's being forced into the lineup thanks to draft position and hamstringing what the coach can do with scheme.