Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should switch to 3-4

(12-30-2019, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Really not that much difference these days is there?

All though Payne taking on blocks from OGs would be something.
Not really. It boils down to a numbers game between DE and OLB.

I still think a more aggressive approach with a 4 - 3 scheme would be fine though.

Especially if they upgrade the ILB and FS positions. Less zone. More man. I think it'll work.

I just don't know who they'll bring in to [assumingly] replace Wash in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The trouble with a 3-4 is its usually harder to teach and coach with all the extra moving parts blitzing involves.

So I'd like to use it but id really need the coach to have a track record with it

3-4 , 4-3, 5-2 whatever... I don't care.

I just do not want to see Todd Wash's back seven scheme and play-calling anymore.

(12-30-2019, 12:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nah, we talk about this every few years and I'm not a fan of the 34. It's an assumption that the linebackers can suddenly just switch to a different scheme and our D-linemen, 93 and 99 in particular, are substantially more effective in 43 than they were in the 34.

You do realize that both 93 and 99 have played in a 34 defense before coming to Jacksonville right?

Honest question. Would Yannick be worth it at $21 million as a edge rusher in a 3-4 system. I know we all think he has the athleticism to be great at that and he is still young. But you would changing his responsibilities and role, which could affect his production.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 08:30 PM by Eric1.)

(12-30-2019, 08:07 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Honest question. Would Yannick be worth it at $21 million as a edge rusher in a 3-4 system. I know we all think he has the athleticism to be great at that and he is still young. But you would changing his responsibilities and role, which could affect his production.

His first two seasons in College, at Maryland they ran a 3-4. He was an OLB in that 3-4 and had 2 sacks (through 5 games) his first year, 6 sacks (through 13 games) his 2nd.

It wasn't until his 3rd season when he took off. They changed to a 4-3 Defense and he started playing DE with his hand in the dirt. He went off for 13 sacks (through 12 games) that season.

Now obviously this was 4+ years ago and he's surely developed since then, but I don't think it can just be ignored.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 08:40 PM by JackCity.)

(12-30-2019, 08:07 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Honest question. Would Yannick be worth it at $21 million as a edge rusher in a 3-4 system. I know we all think he has the athleticism to be great at that and he is still young. But you would changing his responsibilities and role, which could affect his production.

Both Yan and Allen have played 3-4 edge rusher this year for us at times.

Meant to say this in a different thread but Wash has actually been using more 3-4 fronts this year than ever. Which shows you how little difference there can be, all it requires is an extra body or two standing or bending down

(12-30-2019, 04:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 04:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Really not that much difference these days is there?

All though Payne taking on blocks from OGs would be something.
Not really. It boils down to a numbers game between DE and OLB.

I still think a more aggressive approach with a 4 - 3 scheme would be fine though.

Especially if they upgrade the ILB and FS positions. Less zone. More man. I think it'll work.

There are rumors of Wade Phillips leaving the Rams. He's a 3-4 coach. He had a bad year this year but he's had a lot of success in the past.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-30-2019, 08:27 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

His first two seasons in College, at Maryland they ran a 3-4. He was an OLB in that 3-4 and had 2 sacks (through 5 games) his first year, 6 sacks (through 13 games) his 2nd.

It wasn't until his 3rd season when he took off. They changed to a 4-3 Defense and he started playing DE with his hand in the dirt. He went off for 13 sacks (through 12 games) that season.

Now obviously this was 4+ years ago and he's surely developed since then, but I don't think it can just be ignored.

It's good he has experience in that system. But I guess I was wondering that if he loses pass rushing effectiveness in that system, wouldn't $21-22 million could be severely overpaying? 

I get we are projecting because he is still very young, and having 2 great edge rushers can be a foundation for a defense. But it is very much a risk.

(12-30-2019, 08:42 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 04:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Not really. It boils down to a numbers game between DE and OLB.

There are rumors of Wade Phillips leaving the Rams. He's a 3-4 coach. He had a bad year this year but he's had a lot of success in the past.
That's not a bad hire if true. And it would make sense with the Rams falling short this year.

This team needs veteran coaches to get things corrected. They lack discipline, focus and fundamentals.

Marrone can't handle it on his own apparently. But it's crucial he gets this hire right for his own sake. Phillips here for one year wouldn't hurt his cause.

Same for the QB coaching job with Milanovich departing for his new role. Minshew and Foles could use a more seasoned coach there.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Seems like teams flip between 4-3 and 3-4 so we wouldnt necessarily need to commit fully.

But assuming we wanted to commit to that full time, we'd need to get a nose. Arguably the most important piece in a 3-4. Dareus might be big and strong enough to do so. Not sure he is coming back with his contract though. That would be a position you'd need to fill before the season begins. The two DE's are typically on the bigger side and are more run stoppers. Campbell could probably play that role well but may lose some of his pass rushing benefits. Not sure we'd have another obvious 3-4 end on the team. Abry might be okay especially if you had that big nose tackle. Taven gets pushed around too easily, not sure he'd have a spot on the team in a 3-4. Dawuane Smoot may not either. He's too small for the line and would need to be a backup OLB. But you'd have to make him a pass rusher only. May need 4 or 5 new defensive lineman.

Would Myles Jack fit in a 3-4? I've always thought of the 3-4 inside backers as being bigger players. Think Levon Kirkland of the Steelers who might have been 260-270 lbs. Kirkland was a beast though who could also drop into coverage at his size. Myles would have to play more a "weakside" ILB type role since we just dumped that big contract on him. And we'd need to pair him up with a bigger LB which we dont have on the roster.

(12-30-2019, 07:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 3-4 , 4-3,  5-2 whatever... I don't care.

I just do not want to see Todd Wash's back seven scheme and play-calling anymore.

Agreed 100%.

paging Alfie...
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(12-30-2019, 07:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 3-4 , 4-3,  5-2 whatever... I don't care.

This. I could give less of a damn what scheme we run as long as we're able to stop someone.

What do we have to lose by trying it?

(12-30-2019, 07:58 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 12:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nah, we talk about this every few years and I'm not a fan of the 34. It's an assumption that the linebackers can suddenly just switch to a different scheme and our D-linemen, 93 and 99 in particular, are substantially more effective in 43 than they were in the 34.

You do realize that both 93 and 99 have played in a 34 defense before coming to Jacksonville right?

I think if you read what I wrote I alluded to that fact.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Fanning the flames:

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/121671...03265?s=20

(01-13-2020, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fanning the flames:

i disagree.  If we want to switch to a 3-4 cool, if it was 2 years ago.  We had fowler and yann who could've been cornerstones for that type of D.  Now we have multiple holes at LB and a DL that is about to be depleted a little due to cap space.  Its all good for giggles i guess.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-13-2020, 10:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 09:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fanning the flames:

i disagree.  If we want to switch to a 3-4 cool, if it was 2 years ago.  We had fowler and yann who could've been cornerstones for that type of D.  Now we have multiple holes at LB and a DL that is about to be depleted a little due to cap space.  Its all good for giggles i guess.

[BLEEP] and giggles at this point until Todd Wash is shown the door. He has a point though. Josh Allen opposite of him would be great. Giving Myles Jack a mentor or more natural ILB to help him out with positioning right next to him would also help. 

You could move Campbell to big end in this scheme. Get you a whooper at NT and figure out a way to maybe get Bryan and Smoot involved in that same type of role. 

Again, it doesn't look too bad on paper. And if they land a Brown or Kinlaw on opening night in the draft along with a top CB or S? Looks even better.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(01-13-2020, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: i disagree.  If we want to switch to a 3-4 cool, if it was 2 years ago.  We had fowler and yann who could've been cornerstones for that type of D.  Now we have multiple holes at LB and a DL that is about to be depleted a little due to cap space.  Its all good for giggles i guess.

[BLEEP] and giggles at this point until Todd Wash is shown the door. He has a point though. Josh Allen opposite of him would be great. Giving Myles Jack a mentor or more natural ILB to help him out with positioning right next to him would also help. 

You could move Campbell to big end in this scheme. Get you a whooper at NT and figure out a way to maybe get Bryan and Smoot involved in that same type of role. 

Again, it doesn't look too bad on paper. And if they land a Brown or Kinlaw on opening night in the draft along with a top CB or S? Looks even better.
If we can get Kinlaw and Delpit which i'm all in on.  That would fix alot of my worries with the switch and even without one.  I'm soo torn about negating offense again tho, i want a OL...or 2....or 3.... and i want them now.

ya know what....Our FO makes my head hurt wayyyyyyy more often than i'd like. I love this team but we make some of the dumbest decisions i've been able to see. I dont follow other teams FO moves or decisions like that but we either try to hard to fix what isnt broken or wait years later to do something after the fact and hope it still brings success. And they are getting paid millions. Like [BLEEP] did i do wrong in life to not get one of these highly paid positions filled with mostly morons.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.