Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags officially pick 9 and 20.

(01-15-2020, 02:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You think out of all the fan bases, the Jags fans would know best that a higher draft pick doesn't lead to success lol.
You would think that with a basic understanding of math you could understand that picking higher gives you a better chance at getting a better player.

"Chance" being the operative word. The higher pic doesn't always turn out to be the better one.

We debate this every year needlessly. 

The draft is a roll of the dice at every pick. 
Sometimes you miss on a prospect because you aren't choosing high enough, sometimes other teams choose poorly and leave you with Jalen Ramsey, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, George Kittle, Mark Andrews etc. 

The real difference in philosophy is how much you sweat the difference in picking at #9 or at #6.  
I just see great potential to land impactful talent at both spots, I don't sweat the difference, and I value the wins.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Breakdown of recent picks at 9, 20 and 42.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/a-historica...42-overall

(01-16-2020, 03:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Breakdown of recent picks at 9, 20 and 42.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/a-historica...42-overall
Man. #9 is all over the place.

If Minshew is truly the guy then give him a chance to prove it. There is a reason this is the 18/26 draft where we pick top 10. The same reason we have been like the worst team in the league the past decade. No franchise QB.

Stop messing around and get Minshew help. Get lineman and get weapons, make this draft 100% focused on getting the best around Minshew. Don’t even bother looking defense early. Get your franchise guy HELP.

(01-16-2020, 10:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: If Minshew is truly the guy then give him a chance to prove it. There is a reason this is the 18/26 draft where we pick top 10. The same reason we have been like the worst team in the league the past decade. No franchise QB.

Stop messing around and get Minshew help. Get lineman and get weapons, make this draft 100% focused on getting the best around Minshew. Don’t even bother looking defense early. Get your franchise guy HELP.

This defense just gave up 200 yards per game on the ground for 6 straight weeks. They can't ignore defense.  
They need a run stuffing nose tackle with one of their first 4 picks at the very least. 
I do think they have to address O-line and TE early as well.  

I mean, they can't fix everything in this offseason, but I think ignoring that run defense would be a mistake.

(01-16-2020, 11:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 10:49 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: If Minshew is truly the guy then give him a chance to prove it. There is a reason this is the 18/26 draft where we pick top 10. The same reason we have been like the worst team in the league the past decade. No franchise QB.

This defense just gave up 200 yards per game on the ground for 6 straight weeks. They can't ignore defense.  
They need a run stuffing nose tackle with one of their first 4 picks at the very least. 

I mean, they can't fix everything in this offseason, but I think ignoring that run defense would be a mistake.

I understand the concerns about defense, but hear me out. We have got to figure out the QB situation. I believe Minshew has earned the right to prove he is the franchise guy, but as a 6th round pick let’s be honest he doesn’t have a large leash. One bad year, and he will be replaced. Why? Because he is a 6th rounder and the investment is low. A high draft pick is given years to prove he is the guy, Minshew does not have that luxury. 

On top of it, if the team has a similar season you would have to believe Caldwell and Marrone are gone. A new GM is going to want his own guy, it’s just how it works unless again Minshew without a doubt proves he is the guy. The only way to help him show that is to fully invest this offseason into him. Otherwise we will be going into the 2021 draft looking to draft another QB. 

It’s been the common theme through the history of the franchise, the complete disaster at QB. The constant top 10 selections. The constant losing. I believe they have a shot at getting it right, and I’d like to see if Minshew can finally be the guy. I just believe that the chance Minshew has to prove himself is so damn small when you combine that he is a 6th rounder and the FO/coaching is on thin ice. Get him all the help, and get it now... that’s my look on it.

(01-17-2020, 04:54 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This defense just gave up 200 yards per game on the ground for 6 straight weeks. They can't ignore defense.  

I understand the concerns about defense, but hear me out. We have got to figure out the QB situation. I believe Minshew has earned the right to prove he is the franchise guy, but as a 6th round pick let’s be honest he doesn’t have a large leash. One bad year, and he will be replaced. Why? Because he is a 6th rounder and the investment is low. A high draft pick is given years to prove he is the guy, Minshew does not have that luxury. 

On top of it, if the team has a similar season you would have to believe Caldwell and Marrone are gone. A new GM is going to want his own guy, it’s just how it works unless again Minshew without a doubt proves he is the guy. The only way to help him show that is to fully invest this offseason into him. Otherwise we will be going into the 2021 draft looking to draft another QB. 

It’s been the common theme through the history of the franchise, the complete disaster at QB. The constant top 10 selections. The constant losing. I believe they have a shot at getting it right, and I’d like to see if Minshew can finally be the guy. I just believe that the chance Minshew has to prove himself is so damn small when you combine that he is a 6th rounder and the FO/coaching is on thin ice. Get him all the help, and get it now... that’s my look on it.

I've debated in my head what we need to do at the QB position and I keep coming back to this.  If Caldwell and Marrone are on a very short leash, I don't think they'll draft a QB.  That's not for the best interest of their job security.  They get one shot.  To me for their job security the best thing is to build the most talented roster around what you have at QB now.  This way a lot of things can come forth.  If Minshew is the guy, he'll show it.  If he's not then he leads this team to their guy the next season when the entire FO and coaching staff has been cleared.  So I essentially agree with your take, I don't see us taking a QB early at all.

(01-16-2020, 11:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

If they do this we might as well not even tune in to watch the season.  It would be the most idiotic move ever.  Who beat the number 1 seed in the AFC?  The team in our division.  Who has a chance to go to the SB?  That damn team in our division.  How is that team doing it?  Bullying people with OL play and a big [BLEEP] HB that nobody wants to tackle once he gets going.  What did that team do to us on the ground the last time we played them?  Let's not relive that.  You hit the nail on the head, it would be a mistake of astronomical proportions.  If Derrick Brown falls to 9 take him.  If we like Kinlaw and can trade back from 9 to 13 or so to gain more draft capital take Kinlaw there.  We need a strong mean and nasty guy on the interior.  Then we immediately need a guy behind him that isn't afraid to tackle.  Build the defense right down the middle.  But most of all, if we don't get a new coordinator then all of this is for naught IMO.

(01-17-2020, 09:33 AM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This defense just gave up 200 yards per game on the ground for 6 straight weeks. They can't ignore defense.  

If they do this we might as well not even tune in to watch the season.  It would be the most idiotic move ever.  Who beat the number 1 seed in the AFC?  The team in our division.  Who has a chance to go to the SB?  That damn team in our division.  How is that team doing it?  Bullying people with OL play and a big [BLEEP] HB that nobody wants to tackle once he gets going.  What did that team do to us on the ground the last time we played them?  Let's not relive that.  You hit the nail on the head, it would be a mistake of astronomical proportions.  If Derrick Brown falls to 9 take him.  If we like Kinlaw and can trade back from 9 to 13 or so to gain more draft capital take Kinlaw there.  We need a strong mean and nasty guy on the interior.  Then we immediately need a guy behind him that isn't afraid to tackle.  Build the defense right down the middle.  But most of all, if we don't get a new coordinator then all of this is for naught IMO.
Thank you. 
Agreed on all fronts except the degree of hyperbole concerning Wash.

I'm at the front of the pack in wanting a more aggressive scheme defensively, but even Wash's tired scheme would be vastly improved with a stud NT and a true ILB.  (nevermind CB and FS in need of help as well) 

Don't get me wrong - I'm very disappointed we apparently won't see a new coordinator running the defense - but I don't think adding talent strategically will just be a fool's errand.

He would change our offense more than anyone that will be available at 20, if he even makes it that far.

https://twitter.com/LukeEasterling/statu...2936199171

(01-19-2020, 10:00 PM)Upper Wrote: He would change our offense more than anyone that will be available at 20, if he even makes it that far.

https://twitter.com/LukeEasterling/statu...2936199171

Ha, hell no. If you want a guy like Hill you wait till next year and draft Kadarius Toney

Let me borrow a phrase from our favorite condescending mod...LOLOL!

(01-19-2020, 10:25 PM)Upper Wrote: Let me borrow a phrase from our favorite condescending mod...LOLOL!

What makes him like Hill? Just because he is fast?

He's actually a wide receiver and not a fast gadget player.

(01-19-2020, 10:52 PM)Upper Wrote: He's actually a wide receiver and not a fast gadget player.

So hes a fast WR and that makes him like Hill?  He is nowhere near as quick as Hill is.  He is much closer to a John Ross than he is a Hill

Well Ross without the worst injury list I've ever seen is an offense changing player too so idk what your point is...

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020, 11:16 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-19-2020, 11:02 PM)Upper Wrote: Well Ross without the worst injury list I've ever seen is an offense changing player too so idk what your point is...

My point is he is nothing like Hill.  There are fast WRs that come out every year.  That said he is closer to Ross because they are both fast WRs he just isnt as good and I doubt he will be as fast.  Ted Gin Jr at WR would probably be a better comparison but he is the return guy Ginn was

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020, 11:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I think Ruggs will be good and will have his big plays here and there but if I draft a WR in the top 20 I wont him to be consistent game in and game out. I just dont feel like he will be that consistently good WR other than the home run hitter

He wasn't consistent because Bama had at least 3 1st round WRs that had to share the ball, but he showed extreme playmaking skills at all levels. He took flares and slants to the house as well as the obvious deep balls, and found holes in the end zone too. He's not a one trick pony like Ginn Jr.

(01-19-2020, 11:44 PM)Upper Wrote: He wasn't consistent because Bama had at least 3 1st round WRs that had to share the ball, but he showed extreme playmaking skills at all levels. He took flares and slants to the house as well as the obvious deep balls, and found holes in the end zone too. He's not a one trick pony like Ginn Jr.

If we do take a WR at 20 I hope its Higgins