Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Confirmation of the obvious - OL Rankings

(01-03-2020, 01:25 PM)JagJohn Wrote: General consensus on here seems to be to draft a stud LT and move Cam inside to compete at guard, which hopefully could improve two spots on the OL in just one move. I still have my doubts that the coaching staff / FO / Cam himself will actually go for this though.

I still don't understand why Cam would be a good guard.  I know he's not a very good LT.  But we had another not-very-good LT, Luke Joeckel, and we moved him to guard, and he wasn't a good guard either.  So why would Cam be a good guard?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Take a page from Dallas and invest #1s into the line.

(01-03-2020, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 01:25 PM)JagJohn Wrote: General consensus on here seems to be to draft a stud LT and move Cam inside to compete at guard, which hopefully could improve two spots on the OL in just one move. I still have my doubts that the coaching staff / FO / Cam himself will actually go for this though.

I still don't understand why Cam would be a good guard.  I know he's not a very good LT.  But we had another not-very-good LT, Luke Joeckel, and we moved him to guard, and he wasn't a good guard either.  So why would Cam be a good guard?

Joeckel got over powered.  Cam doesn't get overpowered very often like Jockel did and I feel could hold his own against the DTs in this league

Different sets of issues between the players. 

90% of Cam's issue is slow footwork protecting the edge.  He won't have to protect the edge at guard and the footwork is simplified.

(01-03-2020, 12:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 12:25 PM)Upper Wrote: Yep, OT1 Jedrick Wills Jr. Best feet in the class and is also maybe the best mauler in the class. Only worry is that he played RT at Bama because of Leatherwood, but I haven't seen anyone (except olinematters being stubborn) that thinks he can't flip to the left side with ease. Especially since RT was actually the blindside for Tua.

Likely there at #9 you think?  (i know his stock will change)

I've come to to agree with your preseason take on Cam btw, you called that one. Props when due.

Unfortunately, I don't think so. He's already ranked as the OT1 for notable guys like Brugler and Miller and he was just mocked to the Giants at #4 in PFFs mock from a couple of days ago. His stock is on a rocket ship and should only keep rising if he crushes the offseason workouts as expected.

And also unfortunately, my receipts about Cam predate us drafting him. I always saw him as a right tackle or even more likely a guard. Basically like Leatherwood now.

(01-03-2020, 10:12 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 08:36 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: This. Cam has been bad on pass protection. Seems too slow on his feet against pass rushers. 

I really like Tyler Biadasz, probably a stud at center. Not that Linder is a bad center, but he was a beast when he played RG. If we can grad Biadasz and move Linder to RG, it would perfect IMO.
Then you have to find a good LT...easy to say  Blush

I wonder if anyone is knocking around the idea of trading up for Andrew Thomas?  
Is there another LT in the draft that looks to be a clear upgrade to Cam?

Tristan Wirfs is a good tackle. He can play RT and LT. 
Same with Jedrick Wills. More an RT than LT, but he has quick feet and could be moved to LT IMO.
Look like Alex Leatherwood is returning to Alabama next season. He will probably be a top 5 pick in 2021.

But it's going to be hard to pick an OT at #9 if Derrick Brown or Isaiah Simmons are still available...

(01-03-2020, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I still don't understand why Cam would be a good guard.  I know he's not a very good LT.  But we had another not-very-good LT, Luke Joeckel, and we moved him to guard, and he wasn't a good guard either.  So why would Cam be a good guard?

Different sets of issues between the players. 

90% of Cam's issue is slow footwork protecting the edge.  He won't have to protect the edge at guard and the footwork is simplified.

Maybe, but I rebel against the idea that a guard is just an inferior tackle.  I also rebel against the idea that we can project a failed tackle into being a good guard.  Moving Cam to guard is a stab in the dark, and I'd rather have a better answer at guard than a stab in the dark.

(01-04-2020, 09:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Different sets of issues between the players. 

Maybe, but I rebel against the idea that a guard is just an inferior tackle.  I also rebel against the idea that we can project a failed tackle into being a good guard.  Moving Cam to guard is a stab in the dark, and I'd rather have a better answer at guard than a stab in the dark.

It isn't that a guard is just an inferior tackle.  Tackles have to be more agile and quick on their feet.  Guards can get away with being slower as long as they have strength.

Cam's issue is that he has heavy feet.  He can maul people, but speed rushes have consistently beaten him.  At guard that's not a thing he would have to worry about on the interior.

(01-04-2020, 09:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 02:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Different sets of issues between the players. 

I never said or implied that a guard is just an inferior tackle. The position has its own challenges. No guarantee he makes the switch successfully. 

However, NFL history is literally chock full of NCAA tackles that became quality guards in the NFL. There is a ton of precedent here. 

I'm merely searching for the most efficient way to maximize talent in that front five in 2020, and upgrading LT as well as a guard spot by drafting only one player and moving another sure would help tremendously.

Yeah I don't think it's unfair to say that a guard is an inferior tackle. Besides obvious outliers it's basically true.

(01-04-2020, 11:49 AM)Upper Wrote: Yeah I don't think it's unfair to say that a guard is an inferior tackle. Besides obvious outliers it's basically true.

Different physical traits used to define the difference. Guards were shorter and wider, tackles taller and leaner. The modern game, with its emphasis on passing and spread style running, seems like all 5 linemen should be built to play like last generation's tackles. That should make the guard easier to find, but it doesnt seem to be the case with us.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-04-2020, 11:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 11:49 AM)Upper Wrote: Yeah I don't think it's unfair to say that a guard is an inferior tackle. Besides obvious outliers it's basically true.

Different physical traits used to define the difference. Guards were shorter and wider, tackles taller and leaner. The modern game, with its emphasis on passing and spread style running, seems like all 5 linemen should be built to play like last generation's tackles. That should make the guard easier to find, but it doesnt seem to be the case with us.

I think we drafted some good guards, we're just trying to play them at tackle currently.

(01-04-2020, 12:10 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 11:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Different physical traits used to define the difference. Guards were shorter and wider, tackles taller and leaner. The modern game, with its emphasis on passing and spread style running, seems like all 5 linemen should be built to play like last generation's tackles. That should make the guard easier to find, but it doesnt seem to be the case with us.

I think we drafted some good guards, we're just trying to play them at tackle currently.

Robinson yes, Taylor I think will be fine.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-04-2020, 12:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:10 PM)Upper Wrote: I think we drafted some good guards, we're just trying to play them at tackle currently.

Robinson yes, Taylor I think will be fine.

Fine is the operative word, I agree. He's basically Cam lite to me, but at a position that is a little bit more forgiving for that (but not a lot more). He has been and I think will continue to be wrecked by good speed rushers. If we're ok with fine at RT then Taylor will do, but I think he could be a great RG.

(01-04-2020, 12:39 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Robinson yes, Taylor I think will be fine.

Fine is the operative word, I agree. He's basically Cam lite to me, but at a position that is a little bit more forgiving for that (but not a lot more). He has been and I think will continue to be wrecked by good speed rushers. If we're ok with fine at RT then Taylor will do, but I think he could be a great RG.

I see two guys who could be really great right tackles, but Cam got pushed to the wrong side. Everyone needs a year to adjust to the speed of the game, so I'm willing to hold off judging Taylor on year 1. Good coaching would've helped him, but that doesnt look to improve this year either, so good might be the ceiling.

Cam is more mauler than dancer. Cam seems to have a mean streak about him, Luke seemed to be a teddy bear.

It's not automatic that bad OT = good OG. some bad OT are just bad.