Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I believe in #15.

(01-03-2020, 11:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 11:27 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: And then be set up for the next 15-20 years? Absolutely. It's better than going to through this QB purgatory.

Bold strategy, Cotton.

(by the way, you could still easily be in purgatory for 12 years using this technique you suggest - most 1st rd. QBs don't work out in the long run)
Oh absolutely.

I understand the strategy is bold and hasn't really been done before but because the likely hood of having a 1st round QB bust is high, I'm giving myself more chances by drafting more of them. Not to mention, if you can draft well in the later rounds (which Caldwell can actually do), you should be ok.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-03-2020, 10:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 09:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: One thing is certain, there is no way I would draft a WR in the 1st 2 rounds.  Its almost certain you will be able to get a really good WR in the 3rd and probably the 4th as well.
I love when people say this.

If CeeDee Lamb or Jeudy is there at 20 (they won't be), the Jags should pull the trigger on them. Both would pair very nicely with Chark.

(01-02-2020, 08:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, Tua isnt some sure fire elite prospect.  He isnt Andrew Luck or John Elway.  Say you draft Tua, start him and he doesnt play that great his rookie year.  Then you draft another QB in 2021?
Did I say he was?

No one is a "sure fire" (whatever that means anyway) prospect but Tua is certainly an elite one. And like someone else said, if his hip checks out, he most likely won't fall to #9 anyway. Which is why if he did fall to #9 (like Watson), I would take him.

Three possibilities (with estimates that could come in between):

1. Tua's hip will definitely heal with no long-term problem.
2. Tua's hip is probably career-ending.
3. The status of Tua's hip is still unknown.

Are you saying you'd take him at nine without an OK on his hip (case 3)? That would be a bold move indeed.

I do agree that before the injury Tua was an elite prospect. I see Gardner Minshew as a shorter Joe Burrow (or Burrow as a taller Minshew) and am not going to reach for a QB to replace him, but if Tua falls to #20 I'd grab him as long as he didn't get a case 2 report on his hip.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(01-03-2020, 12:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I love when people say this.

If CeeDee Lamb or Jeudy is there at 20 (they won't be), the Jags should pull the trigger on them. Both would pair very nicely with Chark.

Did I say he was?

No one is a "sure fire" (whatever that means anyway) prospect but Tua is certainly an elite one. And like someone else said, if his hip checks out, he most likely won't fall to #9 anyway. Which is why if he did fall to #9 (like Watson), I would take him.

Three possibilities (with estimates that could come in between):

Are you saying you'd take him at nine without an OK on his hip (case 3)? That would be a bold move indeed.

I do agree that before the injury Tua was an elite prospect. I see Gardner Minshew as a shorter Joe Burrow (or Burrow as a taller Minshew) and am not going to reach for a QB to replace him, but if Tua falls to #20 I'd grab him as long as he didn't get a case 2 report on his hip.
If it comes back as option #3, I would have a very difficult decision but I think I would still draft him. His upside is off the charts but he clearly has risk to him as well.

This may all be a moot point as Tua may return to school and if he does, I wouldn't think about drafting a QB at #9 but possibly #20 or in round 3.

(01-03-2020, 11:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You didnt answer the question.  What happens if you take Tua this year and he doesn't have a great rookie year and we pick around 10 next year?  Take another QB next year?
If there is a franchise QB there, sure.

You're missing the point though. I'm not advocating for taking just any QB for the sake of it. Only what are deemed franchise/elite QBs prospects. If the Jags take Tua this year (which is unlikely I think) and they end up being terrible with a top 3 pick, they should draft another QB.

I'm done playing the "Well let's see what this QB can do with more talent and THEN if they aren't good, we move on." It's happened with every QB on this team for the past 20 years.  Leftwich, Gabbert, Bortles and now Minshew. Jags passed on Ben because they needed to get Leftwich more weapons (Reggie Williams. Brilliant.) Passed on Watson because we need to make sure Blake has a better RB and ground game.

All of this isn't because I dislike Minshew. I actually really like him but I also want to be prepared in case he doesn't take a big step forward.
Why do you keep saying Watson.  Watson is decent but he still would of been the wrong pick.  If we are going to talk about who we missed on it Mahomes.  Mahomes was sitting there when we took LF

(01-03-2020, 01:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 11:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: If there is a franchise QB there, sure.

You're missing the point though. I'm not advocating for taking just any QB for the sake of it. Only what are deemed franchise/elite QBs prospects. If the Jags take Tua this year (which is unlikely I think) and they end up being terrible with a top 3 pick, they should draft another QB.

I'm done playing the "Well let's see what this QB can do with more talent and THEN if they aren't good, we move on." It's happened with every QB on this team for the past 20 years.  Leftwich, Gabbert, Bortles and now Minshew. Jags passed on Ben because they needed to get Leftwich more weapons (Reggie Williams. Brilliant.) Passed on Watson because we need to make sure Blake has a better RB and ground game.

All of this isn't because I dislike Minshew. I actually really like him but I also want to be prepared in case he doesn't take a big step forward.
Why do you keep saying Watson.  Watson is decent but he still would of been the wrong pick.  If we are going to talk about who we missed on it Mahomes.  Mahomes was sitting there when we took LF
Cool. Input whoever you want but the point remains the same.

Watson was more highly though of by most.  If we're picking a QB in that draft without benefit of hindsight, Watson probably would have been the target.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 03:17 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2020, 03:03 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 01:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why do you keep saying Watson.  Watson is decent but he still would of been the wrong pick.  If we are going to talk about who we missed on it Mahomes.  Mahomes was sitting there when we took LF

Watson was more highly though of by most.  If we're picking a QB in that draft without benefit of hindsight, Watson probably would have been the target.
Not sure about that, there were a lot that had questions about Watson. Why Mahomes got drafted before Watson. Mahomes had the elite arm and size youbwant in a franchise QB. Which helped lead him to a MVP

Both were elite franchise QB prospects to those of us who knew what we were looking at

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 03:37 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2020, 03:26 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 01:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why do you keep saying Watson.  Watson is decent but he still would of been the wrong pick.  If we are going to talk about who we missed on it Mahomes.  Mahomes was sitting there when we took LF

Both were elite franchise QB prospects to those of us who knew what we were looking at

Neither were elite prospects.  Just because one turns into a good pro doesn't mean he was an elite prospect.  If they were elite QB prospects a team would of drafted them much earlier.  Aaron Rodgers was a very good QB prospect but not elite.  A lot were talking about who would get drafted first between him and Smith and then he fell.  An elite prospect is a guy like Elway, Peton Manning, Luck, Burrow.  Those guys are elite prospects, why they go 1st overall.  Trent Richarson was an elite prospect but didn't pan out.  Aaron Curry was an elite LB prospect as was Justin Blackmon elite WR prospect.  You get prospect and how good one becomes as a pro mixed up

Ahhh remember that elite prospect Vernon Gholston... ha

(01-03-2020, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:26 PM)JackCity Wrote: Both were elite franchise QB prospects to those of us who knew what we were looking at

Neither were elite prospects.  Just because one turns into a good pro doesn't mean he was an elite prospect.  If they were elite QB prospects a team would of drafted them much earlier.  Aaron Rodgers was a very good QB prospect but not elite.  A lot were talking about who would get drafted first between him and Smith and then he fell.  An elite prospect is a guy like Elway, Peton Manning, Luck, Burrow.  Those guys are elite prospects, why they go 1st overall.  Trent Richarson was an elite prospect but didn't pan out.  Aaron Curry was an elite LB prospect as was Justin Blackmon elite WR prospect.  You get prospect and how good one becomes as a pro mixed up
You are so in on Burrow huh? Forgive me but I don't think he's in the same class at Peyton, Eli or even Luck.

(01-03-2020, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:26 PM)JackCity Wrote: Both were elite franchise QB prospects to those of us who knew what we were looking at

I think the issue here is you are using draft capital to determine if they were elite prospects or not and im using my opinion, which I had before they ever played in the NFL. 

Mitch was the #1 drafted QB that year but he wasn't an elite prospect in my eyes nor was he anywhere close to being the QB1, just because the NFL thought it doesn't change my evaluation.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2020, 03:47 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Neither were elite prospects.  Just because one turns into a good pro doesn't mean he was an elite prospect.  If they were elite QB prospects a team would of drafted them much earlier.  Aaron Rodgers was a very good QB prospect but not elite.  A lot were talking about who would get drafted first between him and Smith and then he fell.  An elite prospect is a guy like Elway, Peton Manning, Luck, Burrow.  Those guys are elite prospects, why they go 1st overall.  Trent Richarson was an elite prospect but didn't pan out.  Aaron Curry was an elite LB prospect as was Justin Blackmon elite WR prospect.  You get prospect and how good one becomes as a pro mixed up

I think the issue here is you are using draft capital to determine if they were elite prospects or not and im using my opinion, which I had before they ever played in the NFL. 

Mitch was the #1 drafted QB that year but he wasn't an elite prospect in my eyes nor was he anywhere close to being the QB1, just because the NFL thought it doesn't change my evaluation.

Hell no Mitch wasnt an elite prospect.  I didnt even like him coming out.  So you're saying to you they were elite prospect?  Gotcha

(01-03-2020, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Neither were elite prospects.  Just because one turns into a good pro doesn't mean he was an elite prospect.  If they were elite QB prospects a team would of drafted them much earlier.  Aaron Rodgers was a very good QB prospect but not elite.  A lot were talking about who would get drafted first between him and Smith and then he fell.  An elite prospect is a guy like Elway, Peton Manning, Luck, Burrow.  Those guys are elite prospects, why they go 1st overall.  Trent Richarson was an elite prospect but didn't pan out.  Aaron Curry was an elite LB prospect as was Justin Blackmon elite WR prospect.  You get prospect and how good one becomes as a pro mixed up
You are so in on Burrow huh? Forgive me but I don't think he's in the same class at Peyton, Eli or even Luck.
Peyton and Luck?  No, but Eli, yes

(01-03-2020, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think the issue here is you are using draft capital to determine if they were elite prospects or not and im using my opinion, which I had before they ever played in the NFL. 

Hell no Mitch wasnt an elite prospect.  I didnt even like him coming out.  So you're saying to you they were elite prospect?  Gotcha

Right, so we know that draft capital doesn't make someone an elite prospect. Yep both had franchise traits, this year just Burrow and Tua but don't think Tua will declare

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 04:09 PM by TJBender.)

(01-02-2020, 12:22 PM)Brett Wrote: I haven't watched a ton of our games this year....is Cam Robinson getting worse?

Yes. He shouldn't be at tackle. Some would argue that he shouldn't be playing at all.

(01-02-2020, 08:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The Cardinals took Rosen and then said “nah. We aren’t complacent. Lets go take Murray”.

Actually, it was more like the Cardinals took Rosen, then Kingsbury came in and decided that Rosen wasn't going to work in his offense, but Murray would.

(01-03-2020, 12:21 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Three possibilities (with estimates that could come in between):

I don't trust hip injuries, especially those considered career-threatening. That said, I do think Tua's declaring. I think he's banking on an NFL team drafting him in the first round (they will), then putting NFL-caliber doctors to work on repairing and rehabbing his hip, like Willis McGahee did back in the early 2000's.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 04:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2020, 03:59 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hell no Mitch wasnt an elite prospect.  I didnt even like him coming out.  So you're saying to you they were elite prospect?  Gotcha

Right, so we know that draft capital doesn't make someone an elite prospect. Yep both had franchise traits, this year just Burrow and Tua but don't think Tua will declare
There isn't an elite prospect to come our every year.  Just because you go early doesn't mean you're an elite prospect.  But if you are an elite prospect, you will go early.  Herbert has franchisr traits with his size and arm strength.

(01-03-2020, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think the issue here is you are using draft capital to determine if they were elite prospects or not and im using my opinion, which I had before they ever played in the NFL. 

(01-03-2020, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You are so in on Burrow huh? Forgive me but I don't think he's in the same class at Peyton, Eli or even Luck.
Dog. You literally just said "Elite prospect like Peyton, Elway, Luck and Burrow"

So now Burrow isn't included with those guys but with Eli?!

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 04:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-03-2020, 04:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Hell no Mitch wasnt an elite prospect.  I didnt even like him coming out.  So you're saying to you they were elite prospect?  Gotcha

Dog. You literally just said "Elite prospect like Peyton, Elway, Luck and Burrow"

So now Burrow isn't included with those guys but with Eli?!
No, I said I think he's a better prospect than Eli was and probably the best QB prospect since Luck. Lawrence next year will probably be on that level

(01-03-2020, 04:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: Right, so we know that draft capital doesn't make someone an elite prospect. Yep both had franchise traits, this year just Burrow and Tua but don't think Tua will declare
There isn't an elite prospect to come our every year.  Just because you go early doesn't mean you're an elite prospect.  But if you are an elite prospect, you will go early.  Herbert has franchisr traits with his size and arm strength.

I never said there was and never said it means you are an elite prospect, in fact I said the opposite

And size isn't a franchise trait for me, even arm strength isn't as long as you have enough. More so mental ability, playing out of structure and level of accuracy. Herbert struggles massively in the mental side of the game, so much so it limits his ceiling to the point I don't consider him a franchise talent yet

(01-03-2020, 04:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 04:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There isn't an elite prospect to come our every year.  Just because you go early doesn't mean you're an elite prospect.  But if you are an elite prospect, you will go early.  Herbert has franchisr traits with his size and arm strength.

I never said there was and never said it means you are an elite prospect, in fact I said the opposite

And size isn't a franchise trait for me, even arm strength isn't as long as you have enough. More so mental ability, playing out of structure and level of accuracy. Herbert struggles massively in the mental side of the game, so much so it limits his ceiling to the point I don't consider him a franchise talent yet

I disagree with you on that one.  I don't think he struggles on the mental part of the game.  He was one of the better QBs in college and has the tools you want in a franchise QB.  He could be a bit more accurate but he's not all over the place and he could improve that aspect with good coaching.  Very high upside in Herbert