Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pick Four Fixes - 2020 Draft

Simple concept here.  
The Jags need to upgrade (fix) several positions this offseason by acquiring players via the draft or free agency. 

Pick the four positions you'd ideally target in with the first 4 picks of the 2020 draft. For our purposes, let's assume that good value is there at these positions when we select.  

You can list them in order of importance/need, randomly, or even name players if you're that dialed in already.

My list:

Left Tackle 
Nose Tackle (DT)
MLB
CB

This is basically the order I'd prefer but they can shift around based on what's available at our picks. 
Honorable mentions include TE, Interior OL, FS. 
Positions I'd wait for later rounds on include WR and RB.  I am not focused on QB in this draft at all as of now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 11:38 AM by Caldrac.)

Left Tackle

Right Guard

Inside Linebacker

Nose Tackle

CB, FS, TE & RB would be my focus afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Oh...players. Well that takes out the two biggest needs of HC and GM...so:

LT - biggest need and hardest to acquire so that's #1 easily
MLB - Second biggest need, but also second easiest to fill typically. Unfortunately this is a terrible draft for linebackers.
FS - A true sideline to sideline single high safety would be a gamechanger, but they're extremely hard to find. We can get by with just a moderate upgrade for now.
NT/DT - Big need, but not that hard to find. If they try to fill it they should fairly easily, they just rested on their Dareus laurels when they should have gotten a capable backup NT too.

DT - if we are inactive in free agency, this will remain a need, even if we restructure Dareus. We need a fireplug to eat blocks and let the pass rush feast. We can't succeed allowing 200 yards rushing and sustained drives by opposing offenses every week.
OL - keeping this a little more open - if you have a quality LT available, pick him and Cam either becomes a fantastic backup option or rolls to LG. If a game-changing guard is there instead, grab him and stick with Cam for another season. This will be telling whether Cam is good enough at tackle and just being asked to help out the interior too much, or if we need to replace him too.
MLB - Keep Payne as a backup. Move Jack back to WLB, you now have 4 spots set on the defensive roster, including Williams.
TE - Until Oliver shows that he's healthy and able to be a key component to the offense, I see this as a continued need. I want someone who serves well as a blocker too, and not just the guy you look to in the passing game. If we continue to identify as a Run-first, play action team that looks to grind out close wins, we need some bulk at TE to get those short-yardage conversions keep defenders out of the backfield. It doesn't help that this is a thin class at TE.

(01-06-2020, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Simple concept here.  
The Jags need to upgrade (fix) several positions this offseason by acquiring players via the draft or free agency. 

Pick the four positions you'd ideally target in with the first 4 picks of the 2020 draft. For our purposes, let's assume that good value is there at these positions when we select.  

You can list them in order of importance/need, randomly, or even name players if you're that dialed in already.

My list:

Left Tackle 
Nose Tackle (DT)
MLB
CB

This is basically the order I'd prefer but they can shift around based on what's available at our picks. 
Honorable mentions include TE, Interior OL, FS. 
Positions I'd wait for later rounds on include WR and RB.  I am not focused on QB in this draft at all as of now.
I agree with your top 4 needs including the order you have them. This is how I'd address it:

Left tackle- Andrew Thomas in round 1. Less than 50-50 he'll be there, but he'd be great value with 9th pick of draft.

Nose tackle- Leki Fotu in round 3. Very good run stopper. Obviously not in Derrick Brown's league, but will improve run defense greatly.

Middle linebacker- This is where I take a free agent. Cory Littleton is best available and he is the guy I'd target. Jags will have money after not signing Dareus, Bouye, Ryan, Swain and Lee.

Cornerback- Fortunately, this is one of the deepest positions in the draft. Let's wait until round 2 and take the best available. Candidates include Paulson Adebo, A.J. Terrell, Henderson or Hall.

I left the 2nd first rounder open, because this is where I'd address the guard position. Tyler Biadasz is the pick here. Tight end obviously needs addressing, but this is a very week class for that position. Hopefully Oliver will become the player they thought he'd be. Jones is a good blocker and bring O'Shaunasy back. If none of that works, draft Freirmuth in 2021.

(01-06-2020, 12:03 PM)Upper Wrote: Oh...players. Well that takes out the two biggest needs of HC and GM...so:

Last time I checked you can't land a coach or GM in the draft.  Bold strategy if you were to try it I suppose.

I like the approach of using our 2nd round pick to acquire a CB. Too much depth at the position to use a first. I'd be highly disappointed if we pull the trigger on a CB with one of those firsts. I'd go Brown/ Simmons/ Delpit @9 and best available lineman @20. Then best available CB in the 2nd and grab another lineman in the third.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Personally I want them to stick to BAP more than ever this year. Of course, I hope that aligns with our many needs, and there's a decent chance it will.

As for our 4 biggest needs (and this will obviously change between now and the draft with re-signing, free agency, etc):

DT
MLB
RG
LT

I hope like hell they stay away from any free agents other than their own.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-06-2020, 02:31 PM)Rico Wrote: I hope like hell they stay away from any free agents other than their own.

I think MLB is going to have to be the exception. I don't see a starting MLB in the draft this year.

(01-06-2020, 02:45 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 02:31 PM)Rico Wrote: I hope like hell they stay away from any free agents other than their own.

I think MLB is going to have to be the exception. I don't see a starting MLB in the draft this year.

I have a bad feeling they are gonna go out and throw whatever money they have at anything that remotely seems to fill a need for us.

(01-06-2020, 02:48 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 02:45 PM)Upper Wrote: I think MLB is going to have to be the exception. I don't see a starting MLB in the draft this year.

I have a bad feeling they are gonna go out and throw whatever money they have at anything that remotely seems to fill a need for us.

I don't know about that.  I think all of the big dollars that they spent in free agency the last few years had Coughlin's fingerprints all over them.  Guess we'll see.

(01-06-2020, 03:11 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 02:48 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I have a bad feeling they are gonna go out and throw whatever money they have at anything that remotely seems to fill a need for us.

I don't know about that.  I think all of the big dollars that they spent in free agency the last few years had Coughlin's fingerprints all over them.  Guess we'll see.

I certainly hope you're right. I hope that Coughlin was to blame for all that ailed this team over the last two years, although that seems a bit too convenient.

Truth is we don't know how Dave will act in this situation, because he's never been in win-now mode with full control before. It sounds like Marrone will have a lot more say in recruitment this year too... It's hard to imagine him not pushing for players in FA knowing the situation he's in. We'll see, like you said.

(01-06-2020, 03:27 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 03:11 PM)Rico Wrote: I don't know about that.  I think all of the big dollars that they spent in free agency the last few years had Coughlin's fingerprints all over them.  Guess we'll see.

I certainly hope you're right. I hope that Coughlin was to blame for all that ailed this team over the last two years, although that seems a bit too convenient.

Truth is we don't know how Dave will act in this situation, because he's never been in win-now mode with full control before. It sounds like Marrone will have a lot more say in recruitment this year too... It's hard to imagine him not pushing for players in FA knowing the situation he's in. We'll see, like you said.

I'm not seeing where I said that.  I'm talking about free agency.  All you have to do is look at his first stint with the Jaguars...when he was in charge of everything...to see what he did in free agency and what he did to the cap.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 04:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-06-2020, 02:45 PM)Upper Wrote:

I'd like to get Simmons and go Simmons-Payne-Jack  in base or 4-3 and have Simmons and Jack in on nickel.  Next year try to get Mosses. Unless we can somehow get Bake Martinez

(01-06-2020, 12:03 PM)Upper Wrote: Oh...players. Well that takes out the two biggest needs of HC and GM...so:

MLB - Second biggest need, but also second easiest to fill typically. Unfortunately this is a terrible draft for linebackers.
FS - A true sideline to sideline single high safety would be a gamechanger, but they're extremely hard to find. We can get by with just a moderate upgrade for now.
NT/DT - Big need, but not that hard to find. If they try to fill it they should fairly easily, they just rested on their Dareus laurels when they should have gotten a capable backup NT too.

My list included a middle linebacker, but a cursory glance at top prospects in this draft doesn't reveal much interior top talent at linebacker. I'll need to dig deeper at some point on that. 

MLB might need to be a FA priority with FS or TE moving into the slot I'd reserved for a LB pick.

(01-06-2020, 03:35 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 03:27 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I certainly hope you're right. I hope that Coughlin was to blame for all that ailed this team over the last two years, although that seems a bit too convenient.

I'm not seeing where I said that.  I'm talking about free agency.  All you have to do is look at his first stint with the Jaguars...when he was in charge of everything...to see what he did in free agency and what he did to the cap.

You didn't say it, I know. And I agree with you that most of those FA moves were probably Coughlin's doing, but I'm just making the point that we will never really know.

(01-06-2020, 04:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

My list included a middle linebacker, but a cursory glance at top prospects in this draft doesn't reveal much interior top talent at linebacker. I'll need to dig deeper at some point on that. 

MLB might need to be a FA priority with FS or TE moving into the slot I'd reserved for a LB pick.

I think Kenneth Murray is the only one. I guess he might become a popular mock draft target for us at 20.

(01-06-2020, 04:53 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 04:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My list included a middle linebacker, but a cursory glance at top prospects in this draft doesn't reveal much interior top talent at linebacker. I'll need to dig deeper at some point on that. 

I think Kenneth Murray is the only one. I guess he might become a popular mock draft target for us at 20.

Just read a profile on Murray that said "slow to read and react" and I had visions of Myles Jack in mid-2019 form in my head.  Haven't really watched him play though, so I'm not going to overreact about that profile. 

He does seem to be the only guy projected to play the middle from the top LB prospects.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 05:17 PM by Upper.)

Heh yeah I get some distinct Jack vibes from him too, but if we're going to take our shot at fixing MLB in the draft I think it's him or bust. I hope we find a different way to do it though.