Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Would you draft Tua at #20 for the Jags?

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 02:35 PM by JagFan81.)

So Tua has declared for the draft this year, now this is part just for fun and part kinda serious. If Tua was still there at 20, would you want us to go for him?

Pros:
Would easily be #1 if not for the injury
Looks a true talent. Stats off the charts
Would having faith in him now pay dividends in the future?

Cons:
I like Minshew
It's a serious injury. Can he recover and not suffer reinjury?
We have a lot of needs elsewhere on this roster

What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He would have to be the clear BAP. Now if he slipped to the 2nd..
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-06-2020, 02:33 PM)Dimson Wrote: He would have to be the clear BAP. Now if he slipped to the 2nd..

He would be an absolute steal in the 2nd. Sadly I dont see him slipping that far. I'm sure the Patriots would take him and then I would never watch football again!! Smile

No way he slips to 20, but to answer the question...yes.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 02:41 PM by Caldrac.)

Too many holes on this team. QB play was hindered by poor line play.

Bringing him here would be tough. Between Miami, Carolina and L.A though I don't think he'll be on the board at 9.

If he's there at 20. Maybe. Could go to Tampa at 14.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-06-2020, 02:38 PM)Rico Wrote: No way he slips to 20, but to answer the question...yes.

I agree to an extent. Everyone knows he has talent, but I'm not sure how many GMs will risk a 1st. GMs live and die on 1st round picks. Do they have the time to let him recover? And I've seen a lot of Brady to the Chargers talk. No idea how that will go but Miami and Chargers seem most QB needy early on. 

I think Miami will go for him and have multiple 1st rounders but do teams hope he stays on the board or teams trade back up?

Hes going to be a real wildcard this draft.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 02:49 PM by JAllen#41.)

If he's there at 20 run and turn the card in immediately. To me we need interior OL mostly and the value is in rds 2-4. I'd have no problem choosing from the following positions in round 1: WR, QB, MLB, DT or CB.

Looking at it long-term though I'd rather see if Minshew is the guy or at worst he can be the guy that leads us to the guy. The only problem is Marrone and Caldwell are out of excuses. They have to produce results. What's going to be their best plan for that?

I wouldn't draft Tua at all

(01-06-2020, 02:47 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: If he's there at 20 run and turn the card in immediately.  To me we need interior OL mostly and the value is in rds 2-4.  I'd have no problem choosing from the following positions in round 1: WR, QB, MLB, DT or CB.  

Looking at it long-term though I'd rather see if Minshew is the guy or at worst he can be the guy that leads us to the guy.  The only problem is Marrone and Caldwell are out of excuses.  They have to produce results.  What's going to be their best plan for that?

I agree that we have too many other needs to address. The injury is the real question mark with Tua. Where it may get interesting, GMs and HCs dont have the luxury of time in the modern NFL, how many will pass a guy who can help now for someone it may take 2-3 years. Will they still be there to get the benefit of that pick? I'm sure plenty of owners would want him. Could make for some interesting scenarios.

Someone will take a shot, his talent is impressive.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-06-2020, 03:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 02:47 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: If he's there at 20 run and turn the card in immediately.  To me we need interior OL mostly and the value is in rds 2-4.  I'd have no problem choosing from the following positions in round 1: WR, QB, MLB, DT or CB.  

Looking at it long-term though I'd rather see if Minshew is the guy or at worst he can be the guy that leads us to the guy.  The only problem is Marrone and Caldwell are out of excuses.  They have to produce results.  What's going to be their best plan for that?

I agree that we have too many other needs to address. The injury is the real question mark with Tua. Where it may get interesting, GMs and HCs dont have the luxury of time in the modern NFL, how many will pass a guy who can help now for someone it may take 2-3 years. Will they still be there to get the benefit of that pick? I'm sure plenty of owners would want him. Could make for some interesting scenarios.

In my worthless opinion, I don't think there is any question.  I'm sure he's talked to enough people to have some sort of gauge on how 'draftable' he's going to be.  I would have to think that is one of the factors as to why he's declaring.

"Tagovailoa, who did not use crutches, as he had in recent weeks, said he met with Alabama coach Nick Saban five times in the past week and had conversations with multiple NFL executives."

"Despite those medical concerns, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. had him rated third overall in his latest Big Board. The Miami Dolphins
 are expected to show great interest in Tagovailoa with the fifth pick in the draft if he slides that far."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2843...-nfl-draft
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-06-2020, 02:33 PM)Dimson Wrote: He would have to be the clear BAP. Now if he slipped to the 2nd..

This^

I think I would take him at 20. That's not a huge investment.

(01-06-2020, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think I would take him at 20.  That's not a huge investment.

A top 20 pick is a pretty big investment when you already have a good QB and a ton over other holes.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 05:59 PM by rpr52121.)

No one really knows how well Tua will heal. Plus hip fractures and dislocations have a risk of developing avascular necrosis of the hip which would probably end Tua's career, a la Bo Jackson. Reports was that they reduced the dislocation within 6 hours, which should reduce the risk to ~5%.

On top of that, he will have to rebuild up that joint to be able to throw the ball. Nearly all a QB's power is generated by twisting his core and using his right leg/hip to stabilize his body because he left handed I think.

Just to get back to throwing the ball with his normal amount of accuracy and power in practice could take 7-9 months if he has no set backs. Unless he has a superhuman recovery, he likely won't be able to show any of those abilities by the NFL draft.

So the earliest he could reasonably play is 2021, and you would completely be projecting how well he will full recover on draft day.

Maybe a team with fewer holes in the roster and a more secure GM could pull the plug on Tua. The Jaguars should use him as a trade bait or pass on him.

He'll go top 5.

I don't watch a lot of CFB. Can someone do a comparison between Tua and Minshew? On paper they seem a fairly similar other than pedigree.

(01-06-2020, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't watch a lot of CFB. Can someone do a comparison between Tua and Minshew? On paper they seem a fairly similar other than pedigree.
A great OL, bunch of WRs running wide open, great running game, etc.

You need to test him in meetings and make sure he can read defenses and has the mental skills needed to succeed when pressed in the NFL.

He has the physical skills as long as his injury is healed. He may or may not have the other leadership and quick decision making skills. There are a bunch of failed college QBs who had all the physical skills, but couldn't hang mentally from the pressure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He’s not going to last to even 9

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 09:30 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-06-2020, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't watch a lot of CFB. Can someone do a comparison between Tua and Minshew? On paper they seem a fairly similar other than pedigree.

I think they are pretty similar players, Minshew is a much better player under pressure.  Tua always had a ton of time and the best WR in the country, the few times he faced a little pressure he folded.  If he came here it would be no different.  The Colts would be a great spot for him being they have one of the best olines in football and Hilton

(01-06-2020, 03:20 PM)Rico Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 03:11 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I agree that we have too many other needs to address. The injury is the real question mark with Tua. Where it may get interesting, GMs and HCs dont have the luxury of time in the modern NFL, how many will pass a guy who can help now for someone it may take 2-3 years. Will they still be there to get the benefit of that pick? I'm sure plenty of owners would want him. Could make for some interesting scenarios.

In my worthless opinion, I don't think there is any question.  I'm sure he's talked to enough people to have some sort of gauge on how 'draftable' he's going to be.  I would have to think that is one of the factors as to why he's declaring.

"Tagovailoa, who did not use crutches, as he had in recent weeks, said he met with Alabama coach Nick Saban five times in the past week and had conversations with multiple NFL executives."

"Despite those medical concerns, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. had him rated third overall in his latest Big Board. The Miami Dolphins
 are expected to show great interest in Tagovailoa with the fifth pick in the draft if he slides that far."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2843...-nfl-draft

I'm sure someone will bite. Miami have multiple 1st rounders so not such a risk. It all comes down to how NFL teams judge his medical info. Teams dont seem as anti injury as in years ago. Guys like Gurley paid off but he is struggling again. 

Just speculating, it could get interesting if everyone expects Miami to take him at 5 and they dont. Some teams have other needs or guys theyve fallen in love with and didnt expect Tua to be there. Kinda like Rodgers. Would he drop? Would someone trade up? How high do you trade up?