Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Would you draft Tua at #20 for the Jags?

(01-07-2020, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: To play along with the hypothetical:

I am thinking as if I am Dave Caldwell, and not just some Jags GM with a lifetime contract. If Tua is there at 20, that means that:
1) His medicals did not come back as positively as anticipated during pre-draft workouts or combine.
2) Everybody else with glaring needs at QB have either passed on him to take a different QB (not a good look at all for him) or to take a player at a different position who represents greater value (not a good look either, but less damaging).
3) Every other GM in the league has suffered a stroke and forgot that he was on the board.

If it's the case of #1 or the second part of #2 above, I strongly entertain offers for our 20th pick. If I can move back a few spots and get some more picks in the second (or another first next year) for a team that still needs a QB and is willing to pay for the pick, I jump at the chance.

If everybody else has passed on him, that's a red flag. Did he not test well? Did the medicals show a poor prognosis? Did he simply state that he would not sign a deal if those teams in need of QB picked him (also a la Bo Jackson!)?

If everything checks out and he is still there (Very unlikely), and nobody is willing to move up to get him (also unlikely), I would consider it, but would have to get buy-in from the Owner. If our expectation is to win now, I'm not taking a guy who is going to need time to recuperate or won't likely unseat either of the guys we already have  on the roster. Why else would he be there at 20, other than needing time to heal? I probably find other guys at positions of need that grade similarly but can see the field right away.

TLDR version - I doubt I would, in the extremely unlikely chance he's there. He would only be there for reasons that make him undraftable.

Regarding the underlined part: The Pats have the 23rd pick.  I think they would jump all over the opportunity to take Tua.  I know no one goes by the NFL draft value chart any more, but for sake of discussion, the difference between pick #20 and pick #23 is a third round pick.  

The Saints are sitting right behind the Pats at pick #24.  Another strong team with a very old superstar QB.  

It would set up pretty nicely for a trade down.  But it won't happen because Tua won't be there at 20.  I'm pretty sure of that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you draft Tua at #20 for the Jags? - by The Real Marty - 01-10-2020, 07:17 AM