Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why does Todd Wash still have a job?

(01-20-2020, 12:47 PM)Kane Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Yessir. Dead and bloated. 

[Image: UnacceptableEagerBlueandgoldmackaw-size_restricted.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-19-2020, 08:00 PM)DuvalJag Wrote: So if you already know we had many injuries on the Defense why would firing your defensive coordinator make sense? Typical fans who think firing everyone is the answer.

I read a snippet about how SF defensive coordinator Robert Saleh's first two years running the Seattle defense there were brutal, but then he made some changes, like wide nine sets to get Bosa outside more. I hope Wash has been taking notes during the playoffs.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(01-20-2020, 01:10 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 08:00 PM)DuvalJag Wrote: So if you already know we had many injuries on the Defense why would firing your defensive coordinator make sense? Typical fans who think firing everyone is the answer.

I read a snippet about how SF defensive coordinator Robert Saleh's first two years running the Seattle defense there were brutal, but then he made some changes, like wide nine sets to get Bosa outside more. I hope Wash has been taking notes during the playoffs.

Yea, they tried that.... and got destroyed in the run game because the LBs miss their assignments and gaps

(01-20-2020, 01:10 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Ngakoue and/or Allen in wide nine was used a fair amount in 2019 for obvious passing downs. 

I posted a screenshot of it in another thread (where it was immediately misconstrued as a bad thing.) 

The pass rush was not the problem for this defense. Far from it.
What Saleh is doing with his back seven is the more relevant solution we should be looking at. 

I think a really big takeaway that many are missing here is that Saleh plays A TON of zone coverage. 
70% of the niners D snaps were in zone coverage. 
Wash has secondary players that: 
a. dont play zone well , and 
b. are seemingly not coached/developed well enough to play it better than they do

(01-20-2020, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:10 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I read a snippet about how SF defensive coordinator Robert Saleh's first two years running the Seattle defense there were brutal, but then he made some changes, like wide nine sets to get Bosa outside more. I hope Wash has been taking notes during the playoffs.

Ngakoue and/or Allen in wide nine was used a fair amount in 2019 for obvious passing downs. 

I posted a screenshot of it in another thread (where it was immediately misconstrued as a bad thing.) 

What Saleh is doing with his back seven is the more relevant solution we should be looking at. 

I think a really big takeaway that many are missing here is that Saleh plays A TON of zone coverage. 
b. are seemingly not coached/developed well enough to play it better than they do

The biggest issue with our defense, imo, the run D not the pass D. Linebackers out of position. No one could tackle. Middle DL getting gashed often.

Not sure how Wash fixes that really.
The players just need to get better/be better, or be upgraded. Some of it was injury related, some of it was young guys being thrust into (or promoted into) positions they weren't ready for (maybe never ready for starting).

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2020, 02:01 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Check out the defensive stats from Week 17.  This is the suck [BLEEP] talent Wash was working with.   Sure, there are a few good players but the LB/Secondary talent was God awful.

Players Tackles
Jarrod Wilson 6
Leon Jacobs 5
Austin Calitro 5
Taven Bryan 4
D.J. Hayden 4
Ronnie Harrison 4
Josh Allen 4
Parry Nickerson 3
Dawuane Smoot 2
Akeem Spence 2
Doug Middleton 2
Brandon Watson 2
Calais Campbell 2
Carl Davis 1
Donald Payne 1
Yannick Ngakoue 1
Tre Herndon 1
Joe Giles-Harris 1
Andrew Wingard 1
Ryquell Armstead 1
Abry Jones 1
Cody Davis 0

Depth Chart
STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
LDE Calais Campbell Dawuane Smoot - -
LDT Abry Jones Dontavius Russell Carl Davis Brian Price
RDT Taven Bryan Akeem Spence Marcell Dareus (IR) -
RDE Yannick Ngakoue Josh Allen Q Lerentee McCray (IR) -
WLB Austin Calitro Preston Brown Quincy Williams (IR) Najee Goode (IR)
MLB Myles Jack (IR) Jake Ryan (IR) Donald Payne D.J. Alexander (IR)
SLB Leon Jacobs Dakota Allen James Onwualu (IR) -
LCB Tre Herndon D.J. Hayden Brandon Watson -
SS Ronnie Harrison Andrew Wingard Cody Davis Josh Jones
FS Jarrod Wilson Doug Middleton - -
RCB A.J. Bouye Q Parry Nickerson Jayson Stanley -

Saleh's intangibles are off the chart. Leadership, attitude, etc. But he has something like 6 or 7 first rounders playing in that defense. It SHOULD be good. And that takes nothing away from Saleh. But our defensive roster is not the Niners defensive roster. And Wash is no Saleh.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-20-2020, 01:45 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Ngakoue and/or Allen in wide nine was used a fair amount in 2019 for obvious passing downs. 

The biggest issue with our defense, imo, the run D not the pass D. Linebackers out of position. No one could tackle. Middle DL getting gashed often.

The players just need to get better/be better, or be upgraded. Some of it was injury related, some of it was young guys being thrust into (or promoted into) positions they weren't ready for (maybe never ready for starting).

Well, yeah, when you give up 200+ rushing yards for 5 or 6 weeks in a row the run D is the obvious issue. 
This is why I'm so adamant about acquiring a nose tackle and middle linebacker in every pertinent thread. 
Just fixing the lack of talent and depth at those two positions will enact a sea change in the run defense. 

The linebacker issues seem to go from just lack of talent into this coaching/development realm however. 
We see player after player under Wash fall easy prey to pre-snap motion, misdirection,  run fakes, and just overall being easily lured out of position.  I wonder if a new LB coach will be part of this offseason's changes? 

Back to the run D vs pass D thing - 
The Jags pass rush is fine - the Jags pass coverage still leaves a lot to be desired. So even though run defense is the greater issue, poor zone coverage usage and execution will continue to haunt us until we acquire more talent at CB and FS and find better ways to get them in spots to make plays.

(01-20-2020, 02:00 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Saleh's intangibles are off the chart.  Leadership, attitude, etc.  But he has something like 6 or 7 first rounders playing in that defense.  It SHOULD be good.  And that takes nothing away from Saleh.  But our defensive roster is not the Niners defensive roster.  And Wash is no Saleh.

You could compare 17 jags D to this niner team they were getting results from every position group. The niners have to capitalize before they lose some to FA don't think they can keep them all..
No Fun

(01-20-2020, 02:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:45 PM)Kane Wrote: The biggest issue with our defense, imo, the run D not the pass D. Linebackers out of position. No one could tackle. Middle DL getting gashed often.

Back to the run D vs pass D thing - 
The Jags pass rush is fine - the Jags pass coverage still leaves a lot to be desired. So even though run defense is the greater issue, poor zone coverage usage and execution will continue to haunt us until we acquire more talent at CB and FS and find better ways to get them in spots to make plays.
Oh I fully agree here. Pass rush can only do so much if guys are giving up easy completions quickly. I just think teams could run so easy on us that it was easy to close out games on us in the 3rd Q it felt like most of the year. 
I think Herndon got better as the season went on but he's a fringe #2 guy. If we miss out on D. Brown at 9 I hope Okudah is there but that's not likely from what I gather. Diggs is an option at 20 I think, but he could be gone by then too. CB in free agency tends to be expensive so not sure what our options are there.

As for FS... think it's a rather weak draft class for the position from what I've seen in mocks and read ups so we may just have to hope for better play from Wilson (or someone comes in from mid rounds of draft and or cheap FA that actually pushes for time)
Anxious to see how we fix our cap situation and if we can land some guys in free agency at these positions that maybe could help. A guy like Sean Davis UFA from Pit coming off injury is intriguing. Solid FS play in 17 and 18.
Also Tre Boston UFA from Carolina might be an option.

Totally unsure of what these guys will command market wise though so I'm just spitballing.

(01-20-2020, 12:47 PM)Kane Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

But you still clicked on it.... Hmmmmmm
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-20-2020, 01:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Check out the defensive stats from Week 17.  This is the suck [BLEEP] talent Wash was working with.   Sure, there are a few good players but the LB/Secondary talent was God awful.

Players Tackles
Jarrod Wilson 6
Leon Jacobs 5
Austin Calitro 5
Taven Bryan 4
D.J. Hayden 4
Ronnie Harrison 4
Josh Allen 4
Parry Nickerson 3
Dawuane Smoot 2
Akeem Spence 2
Doug Middleton 2
Brandon Watson 2
Calais Campbell 2
Carl Davis 1
Donald Payne 1
Yannick Ngakoue 1
Tre Herndon 1
Joe Giles-Harris 1
Andrew Wingard 1
Ryquell Armstead 1
Abry Jones 1
Cody Davis 0

Depth Chart
STARTER 2ND 3RD 4TH
LDE Calais Campbell Dawuane Smoot - -
LDT Abry Jones Dontavius Russell Carl Davis Brian Price
RDT Taven Bryan Akeem Spence Marcell Dareus (IR) -
RDE Yannick Ngakoue Josh Allen Q Lerentee McCray (IR) -
WLB Austin Calitro Preston Brown Quincy Williams (IR) Najee Goode (IR)
MLB Myles Jack (IR) Jake Ryan (IR) Donald Payne D.J. Alexander (IR)
SLB Leon Jacobs Dakota Allen James Onwualu (IR) -
LCB Tre Herndon D.J. Hayden Brandon Watson -
SS Ronnie Harrison Andrew Wingard Cody Davis Josh Jones
FS Jarrod Wilson Doug Middleton - -
RCB A.J. Bouye Q Parry Nickerson Jayson Stanle
Some of those I.R. numbers played most of this year.  I also would like to note even when Ramsey was here and the defense was more healthy it still looked like crap early in the season.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-19-2020, 10:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Wash appears to be this year's Blake Bortles.

You have a crush on him?

How did it end up the whole anyone but Bortles campaign? We screw up the cap and get no improved play. Fantastic!

Wash probably more similar to ill advised Hackett firing. That worked out just great too...

Talent is the issue here...

(01-20-2020, 10:36 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 10:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: You have a crush on him?

How did it end up the whole anyone but Bortles campaign? 
OOOOHH  - I know this one!!!
  • Bortles couldn't throw an out route without it getting picked - seriously
  • Bortles couldn't throw a fade if you put a gun to his head 
  • Bortles went through a series of coordinators that systematically removed routes from their playbooks because HE COULDN'T MAKE THE THROWS - every OC just carved more and more out of the book
  • Bortles' timing on swing passes to running packs was horrendous and his accuracy on those passes led to interceptions off of RB's feet
  • Bortles accuracy on crossing routes meant 70% of them were behind the receiver, 10% were INTs, and the other 10% were off of AJ Cann's helmet. 

This sounds like it's a joke - but it's actually factual.

And paying Nick Foles lots improved the situation how?

The answer was to draft a QB and keep Bortles for a last year.

But no anyone but Bortles has us lumped with Foles at silly money.

(01-20-2020, 11:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 10:36 PM)lastonealive Wrote: How did it end up the whole anyone but Bortles campaign? 
OOOOHH  - I know this one!!!
  • Bortles couldn't throw an out route without it getting picked - seriously
  • Bortles couldn't throw a fade if you put a gun to his head 
  • Bortles went through a series of coordinators that systematically removed routes from their playbooks because HE COULDN'T MAKE THE THROWS - every OC just carved more and more out of the book
  • Bortles' timing on swing passes to running packs was horrendous and his accuracy on those passes led to interceptions off of RB's feet
  • Bortles accuracy on crossing routes meant 70% of them were behind the receiver, 10% were INTs, and the other 10% were off of AJ Cann's helmet. 

This sounds like it's a joke - but it's actually factual.

I laughed, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-21-2020, 02:19 AM)lastonealive Wrote: And paying Nick Foles lots improved the situation how?

The answer was to draft a QB and keep Bortles for a last year.

But no anyone but Bortles has us lumped with Foles at silly money.

Just let it die.  I 100% agree but you'll just start more debates which ultimately lead to being strapped with trash Foles because of horrible QB evaluation.  If BB was such a failure then draft his replacement.  That was too common sense worthy for this FO and now we have a more "accurate" QB who cant drive down the field to save his life.  

Good thing he isnt hitting AJ Cann's Helmet or the RB's feet smh.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(01-19-2020, 03:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 02:55 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: It looks like they are just saying we did not have the talent to compete and thats the reason for the defensive failures but then that points the finger at Caldwell.  I saw a defense that was ill prepared most weeks.  The league has mostly gotten away from his seattle based scheme because it takes elite talent at core spots to play it properly.  Wash is a Gus Bradley student.

Wash has a job because he's got some good statistics on his side from years past and Marrone is apparently not convinced that he is more of a problem than a jettisoned #1 CB and 2019 injuries at LB & DT.

I don't agree with the move to retain Wash, but it looks like they will. 
We can only hope that Marrone demands some adjustments to Wash's scheme and we acquire upgrades at nose tackle, ILB, CB, and FS.

While I agree with everything stated the only thing I'd add is that Doug better have someone within the ranks that he trusts to take over should the same issues on D recur. At this stage, I don't know who would get the call if we made a mid-season decision to jettison the dead weight of Wash.

*His* job depends on it.

(01-19-2020, 08:27 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Did you even watch out defense play? Injuries was a far less serious problem than Wash's ill conceived playbook.

Thank you for saving me some keystrokes.

(01-19-2020, 03:02 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I think he has dirt on Khan or something

(01-19-2020, 04:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Naked pictures of Tony Khan is the only explanation.

(01-19-2020, 05:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "Hey Shad, don't forget about these pics I got from last year's Christmas Party on Kismet. I didn't know an old guy like you could bend that way! And where did you get all those midgets from anyway?"

So we're all agreed that it has to be blackmail photos?

And he must have shared them with Warhop.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"