Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why does Todd Wash still have a job?

I say extend Todd Wash another 5 more years so we can keep up our reputation of a top 10 draft pick team. 2017 offseason I was so annoyed our pick wasn’t in the top 10, it was the worst draft day ever and we weren’t able to win the offseason because of it. 2020 offseason is going to be COMPETITIVE if we are going to come out the champs... need full power.. need Marrone, Wash, and Caldwell to be on their GAME to win this one boys.

Sarcasm... please fire this idiot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wash isn't going anywhere. You crybabies need to get over it already.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

He still has a job because clearly the people who make these decisions see something in him that you don't.

Lest we forget, this is also the reason for most people here that Gardner Minshew still had a spot on the team after the preseason last year.

(01-23-2020, 05:51 AM)iapetus Wrote: He still has a job because clearly the people who make these decisions see something in him that you don't.

Lest we forget, this is also the reason for most people here that Gardner Minshew still had a spot on the team after the preseason last year.
Remember how many people wanted him cut? And how many people were pissed we cut McGough? Lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-23-2020, 05:51 AM)iapetus Wrote: He still has a job because clearly the people who make these decisions see something in him that you don't.

These same people saw something in Gus Bradley too
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-23-2020, 12:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

And Gene Smith before him.

(01-23-2020, 01:31 PM)BringBackByron Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 12:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: These same people saw something in Gus Bradley too

And Gene Smith before him.

These same people fired Gene Smith after one year.

This whole narrative is garbage anyway, because Gus was hired/kept by Dave and the Khans.
Smith was hired by Weaver and fired rapidly by Khan.

Wash - the topic at hand - was hired by Bradley and retained by Marrone.
Doug Marrone didn't "see something in Bradley too" and definitely didn't have [BLEEP] to do with Smith.

(01-23-2020, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 01:31 PM)BringBackByron Wrote: And Gene Smith before him.

These same people fired Gene Smith after one year.

And Wayne Weaver specifically asked Shad Khan to keep Gene Smith

If a player is out of position a couple of times, it is his fault. If he is out of position game after game, it is the coaches' fault. It was not just one player but multiple players were out of position every game and the coach was not able to fix it, it was definitely the coaches' fault.

(01-23-2020, 12:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

What they saw was a very good defensive coordinator, but what they couldn't see was that he couldn't rise above that level. Of course, none but those with perfect hindsight could, so there's that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2020, 12:18 PM by JagJohn.)

I think the answer to the question is pretty clear, judging by Marrone's comments about the OC hiring process.

They want a coaching staff that has a chance to improve their sides of the ball immediately. This meant going with an experienced option on offense, to hopefully negate the learning curve of 1st year coordinators, and sticking with Wash on defense because they believe he has had success in the past and can do again if they give him the right tools. They did not want to bring in a new defensive system at the same time as a new OC because it would be too disruptive for the team overall. It's all about winning now, and I'd expect the moves in FA and the draft to also reflect that.

I completely disagree with this approach, just trying to answer the original question of this thread.

It doesn’t help that we have Blaine Gabbert playing strong safety half the time.

(01-23-2020, 09:49 PM)tmcoughlin Wrote: If a player is out of position a couple of times, it is his fault. If he is out of position game after game, it is the coaches' fault. It was not just one player but multiple players were out of position every game and the coach was not able to fix it, it was definitely the coaches' fault.

I've learned that many of these fans will defend the losers to the end.   I was one of the first Gene Smith haters and you should see some of the comments many of these same clowns were giving me.  It's like they have Stockholm syndrome.

(01-24-2020, 12:17 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I think the answer to the question is pretty clear, judging by Marrone's comments about the OC hiring process.

They want a coaching staff that has a chance to improve their sides of the ball immediately. This meant going with an experienced option on offense, to hopefully negate the learning curve of 1st year coordinators, and sticking with Wash on defense because they believe he has had success in the past and can do again if they give him the right tools. They did not want to bring in a new defensive system at the same time as a new OC because it would be too disruptive for the team overall. It's all about winning now, and I'd expect the moves in FA and the draft to also reflect that.

I completely disagree with this approach, just trying to answer the original question of this thread.

Yeah I disagree with the approach as well. We need a solid long term approach with draft and development goals. Win now has the potential of blowing the 2020 picks with play now options that have lesser upside.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-24-2020, 10:29 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 12:17 PM)JagJohn Wrote: I think the answer to the question is pretty clear, judging by Marrone's comments about the OC hiring process.

Yeah I disagree with the approach as well. We need a solid long term approach with draft and development goals. Win now has the potential of blowing the 2020 picks with play now options that have lesser upside.

This is a routinely expressed concern lately and a valid one. And though I'm repeating myself, I'll point out again that Caldwell has addressed this twice already and alluded to it a third time. 

He said he plans to:
  •  be "balanced" in his approach to drafting need and value 
  • doesn't have to try to fix everything in the draft
  • and thinks it's possible to find "as many as" three immediate impact players in the draft
  • he also says he believes it's possible to plug a few holes in free agency
These comments are certainly counter to this fear he will draft immediate need over long term value/talent.
Also - when you need help at 6 or 7 spots it should not be hard to find long value and address need simultaneously in the early rounds since you don't have to only key on a select few positions.

and back on the wash topic ....Oehser spouts the company line.
still living in 2017.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2020/01...ordinator/
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-28-2020, 06:31 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: and back on the wash topic ....Oehser spouts the company line.
still living in 2017.

Oesher isn't spouting the company line.  He interviewed Marrone.  Those are Marrone's reasons.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(01-28-2020, 06:59 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 06:31 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: and back on the wash topic ....Oehser spouts the company line.
still living in 2017.

Oesher isn't spouting the company line.  He interviewed Marrone.  Those are Marrone's reasons.

Yeah.  The article is from the USA Today sports website and written by James Johnson about Marrone's comments.

There is no company line, and there is no John Oehser anywhere in the article. 

The writer goes on to list what Wash would have to improve in order for the retention to appear wise, and also to speculate Wash may be fired mid-2020 if he doesn't make those improvements.

(01-24-2020, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 12:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: These same people saw something in Gus Bradley too

What they saw was a very good defensive coordinator, but what they couldn't see was that he couldn't rise above that level. Of course, none but those with perfect hindsight could, so there's that.

There was also they gave him way too much time.  He should of been gone after year 2.

Coughlin, Marrone, and Wash

[Image: video-undefined-18DC739600000578-829_636x358.jpg]