Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Giants quarterback Eli Manning announces retirement after 16 seasons in NFL

Giants quarterback Eli Manning announces retirement after 16 seasons in NFL

After 16 seasons with the New York Giants, Eli Manning will end his NFL career without playing for another team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giant...QRMqAqnwPg
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It’s about time.

If it weren’t for his two rings, I’d feel bad for the guy. Well over shadowed by his big brother, but same amount of rings. Definitely wasn’t as good as Peyton. Good for him. The whole family really.

He's only getting in because of two throws in the SB and his last name. He's so average it's hilarious.

He wasn't even average.

You can argue about the process the HOF uses but he thinks off enough boxes to get in

(01-23-2020, 10:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can argue about the process the HOF uses but he thinks off enough boxes to get in
I don't argue that he will get in because we all know he will.

But he wasn't an elite player. His stats are bloated due to how long he played. When Vinny Testaverde retired, he was 6th in passing yards, 7th in passing TDs and 7th in completions. These are the same arguments people are using to boost Eli.

(01-23-2020, 10:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can argue about the process the HOF uses but he ticks off enough boxes to get in

(01-23-2020, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can argue about the process the HOF uses but he thinks off enough boxes to get in

But he wasn't an elite player. His stats are bloated due to how long he played. When Vinny Testaverde retired, he was 6th in passing yards, 7th in passing TDs and 7th in completions. These are the same arguments people are using to boost Eli.

I too saw the Twitter thread. 

Vinny passes the production test but fails the two other very important categories and thus isn't in. 

Eli in Hall only matters if you consider the halls goal to be a ranking of players.....when really that's not it's goal

(01-23-2020, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

How did Vinny fare in the postseason?

Eli won it all one year on a wild card team, right? Give me a guy who can win on the road in the postseason, no matter how average or pedestrian he may seem in the regular season. The consecutive starts streak is dang admirable, especially in today's game, where everyone seems to get hurt at some point. Eli should absolutely get in before someone like say, Phil Rivers, who may have the same longevity, or comparable regular season stats, but not the postseason resume to lean on.

Hate to break it to you, but recent classes only prove you don't have to be an elite player to get in the HOF.

(01-23-2020, 10:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:08 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't argue that he will get in because we all know he will.

How did Vinny fare in the postseason?

Eli won it all one year on a wild card team, right? Give me a guy who can win on the road in the postseason, no matter how average or pedestrian he may seem in the regular season. The consecutive starts streak is dang admirable, especially in today's game, where everyone seems to get hurt at some point. Eli should absolutely get in before someone like say, Phil Rivers, who may have the same longevity, or comparable regular season stats, but not the postseason resume to lean on.

Hate to break it to you, but recent classes only prove you don't have to be an elite player to get in the HOF.
You're not breaking anything to me. This is my gripe.

The HOF has basically become a "how much does the media like you" type of deal. The fact that TO didn't get in on the first ballot was absurd. The media loves Eli because he did everything the right way. He had two clutch post seasons and also had many 1 and dones.

Eli has a below average baseline with a couple of the highest spikes in NFL history. He played a very long time in a very pass happy era so his overall stats look good. And of course his last name is Manning and he played in New York.

He shouldn't get in but he will.

(01-23-2020, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:55 AM)Mikey Wrote: How did Vinny fare in the postseason?

You're not breaking anything to me. This is my gripe.

The HOF has basically become a "how much does the media like you" type of deal. The fact that TO didn't get in on the first ballot was absurd. The media loves Eli because he did everything the right way. He had two clutch post seasons and also had many 1 and dones.

Yea, TO was the most dominant WR in the NFL the entire time he played... maybe Randy Moss gets an honorable mention.

(01-23-2020, 11:16 AM)Upper Wrote: Eli has a below average baseline with a couple of the highest spikes in NFL history. He played a very long time in a very pass happy era so his overall stats look good. And of course his last name is Manning and he played in New York.

If you don’t believe Eli deserves to be in the HOF, you’re absolutely delusional.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is all about the story of the NFL. Those who were the main characters, get voted in. It’s not all about stats. Was Broadway Joe a great QB? Heck 
no.. and if you don’t believe me, check the stats. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Of course not. That legendary upset vs. Baltimore will stand as one of the greatest football moments of all time.

Was Eli Manning a great QB? Of course not. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Not a chance. Upsetting an astronomically favored 18-0 Patriots team in the midst of arguably their greatest roster ever assembled, and then doing the same 4 years later.. those are no small feats. Eli has made some of the most clutch plays in Super Bowl history.

Some will gripe and say that he only gets in because of his last name. I agree, that will no doubt be a huge part of it. But he’s earned his bid in my opinion. He’s gonna be in a gold jacket in 5 years, book it.

(01-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 11:16 AM)Upper Wrote: Eli has a below average baseline with a couple of the highest spikes in NFL history. He played a very long time in a very pass happy era so his overall stats look good. And of course his last name is Manning and he played in New York.

If you don’t believe Eli deserves to be in the HOF, you’re absolutely delusional.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is all about the story of the NFL. Those who were the main characters, get voted in. It’s not all about stats. Was Broadway Joe a great QB? Heck 
no.. and if you don’t believe me, check the stats. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Of course not. That legendary upset vs. Baltimore will stand as one of the greatest football moments of all time.

Was Eli Manning a great QB? Of course not. But can you tell the story of the NFL without him? Not a chance. Upsetting an astronomically favored 18-0 Patriots team in the midst of arguably their greatest roster ever assembled, and then doing the same 4 years later.. those are no small feats. Eli has made some of the most clutch plays in Super Bowl history.

Some will gripe and say that he only gets in because of his last name. I agree, that will no doubt be a huge part of it. But he’s earned his bid in my opinion. He’s gonna be in a gold jacket in 5 years, book it.

Fine, put Manning's cleats or helmet in the hall of fame. Put Tyree and Manningham's gloves in the hall of fame. Put a few pictures of Eli escaping what should have easily been blown dead for in the grasp, the ball stuck to Tyree's helmet, and Manningham beautifully dragging his toes on the sideline. There, the story is told.

(01-24-2020, 12:16 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: If you don’t believe Eli deserves to be in the HOF, you’re absolutely delusional.

Fine, put Manning's cleats or helmet in the hall of fame. Put Tyree and Manningham's gloves in the hall of fame. Put a few pictures of Eli escaping what should have easily been blown dead for in the grasp, the ball stuck to Tyree's helmet, and Manningham beautifully dragging his toes on the sideline. There, the story is told.

If Tyree and manningham pass the criteria they can enter the Hall too. Unfortunately they don't pass them but Eli does

It's weird though... because at no point in his career was he ever a dominant force in the league.

He never made anyone's top 5 list and I doubt he broke anyone's top 10 either in any of his 16 years in the NFL.

When I think of the HoF I think of the best players of their era of football... not just a guy that got lucky a few times.

(01-23-2020, 04:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 11:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You're not breaking anything to me. This is my gripe.

Yea, TO was the most dominant WR in the NFL the entire time he played... maybe Randy Moss gets an honorable mention.

TO also ruined every team he was on from the inside out.

not just about the stats.

(01-24-2020, 10:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 04:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, TO was the most dominant WR in the NFL the entire time he played... maybe Randy Moss gets an honorable mention.

If you say so.

Never got arrested during his time in the league... was he a diva? Sure. But nothing compared to the WRs today - both divas AND criminals.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM by Cleatwood.)

(01-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

Everyone knows Eli will get in. That's not the point.

He was NEVER, in his entire career, considered elite. He played in NY. He won two Super Bowls. The HOF just needs to come clean with how they truly vote because it's not about being great.

(01-24-2020, 10:24 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 04:06 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, TO was the most dominant WR in the NFL the entire time he played... maybe Randy Moss gets an honorable mention.

This should have no bearing on making the HOF or not.

Not even close to a hall of famer outside of two great peaks. He's basically Foles x2.

Eli Manning was a starter for 14 full NFL seasons. On average, he finished:
20th in completion percentage
10th in passing yards
17th in ANY/A
10th in touchdown passes
7th in interceptions
19th in passer rating
17th in QBR

Out of 57 QBs with at least 4,000 career attempts, Eli Manning is (adjusted for year/era of football)
43rd in Y/A
51st in comp%
30th in TD%
50th in INT%
49th in quarterback rating
14th in sack%
47th in AY/A
39th in ANY/A