Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ARob had a decent season

I haven't really being keeping up with our former receiver, but A Rob had quite a good season - spotted this in the "unsung heroes" feature on the NFL website.

"He had one of the best seasons of his career, with 98 receptions for 1,147 yards and seven touchdowns. And while I'm not going to use this forum as an opportunity to bash the quarterback, it's important to note that this production came on a team that ranked 25th in passing yards and 29th in overall offense."

After a slow start it looks like he's been doing the business for the Bears, despite some shakey QB play.  What could he have done with a decent QB?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Probably not much. ARob is a very “me first” type player. He would get jealous/upset if they had a quality QB Throwing the ball, because that would mean less catches for him.

(01-24-2020, 12:11 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Probably not much. ARob is a very “me first” type player. He would get jealous/upset if they had a quality QB Throwing the ball, because that would mean less catches for him.

What??? Where do ya'll get some of the stuff or theories that you guys make up? When was Allen Robinson ever a me first type of player on the Jags? There a like one clip where he had a problem, telling Bortles to keep the ball in bounds. 

Also with him leaving if you ever read the the article on BigCatCountry where they were saying the only reason he chose to leave was because Jacksonville didn't want to guarantee his contract coming off the injury and Chicago did

He worked hard and became a top receiver when we thought we were getting a slightly above average WR in the draft. If he would have stayed Bortles might have been better keeping the player that he had the most chemistry with.

(01-24-2020, 12:11 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Probably not much. ARob is a very “me first” type player. He would get jealous/upset if they had a quality QB Throwing the ball, because that would mean less catches for him.

We have never had a WR who was willing to put his body and health on the line to go airborne going after inaccurate pass after inaccurate pass like Arob was. He put the team ahead of his own well being an absurd amount.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 10:23 AM by Kane.)

(02-12-2020, 08:41 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 12:11 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Probably not much. ARob is a very “me first” type player. He would get jealous/upset if they had a quality QB Throwing the ball, because that would mean less catches for him.

We have never had a WR who was willing to put his body and health on the line to go airborne going after inaccurate pass after inaccurate pass like Arob was. He put the team ahead of his own well being an absurd amount.

Rolleyes
Dude was an outside receiver going up for 50/50 balls.

It isn't like he was Wes Welker going across the middle of the field getting murdered every play.

(01-24-2020, 11:47 AM)Andy G Wrote: I haven't really being keeping up with our former receiver, but A Rob had quite a good season - spotted this in the "unsung heroes" feature on the NFL website.

"He had one of the best seasons of his career, with 98 receptions for 1,147 yards and seven touchdowns. And while I'm not going to use this forum as an opportunity to bash the quarterback, it's important to note that this production came on a team that ranked 25th in passing yards and 29th in overall offense."

After a slow start it looks like he's been doing the business for the Bears, despite some shakey QB play.  What could he have done with a decent QB?

He's always been a very talented WR. I'm not surprised after he put up 1k and 10 TDs with Bortles that he managed a solid season even with Trubisky at QB.

Yeah, if he could play with a Tom Brady or Manning or Rodgers he'd probably be a star in this league.
Shame he tore his ACL and this team offered a deal that was meant to protect us rather than reward him.

But I'm pretty happy with Chark and think Chark can be just as good.

(02-12-2020, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote: But I'm pretty happy with Chark and think Chark can be just as good.

Just like the people who are saying to not pay or to tag and trade Yannick because we have Allen, the question should be why not both?

(02-12-2020, 10:35 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote: But I'm pretty happy with Chark and think Chark can be just as good.

Just like the people who are saying to not pay or to tag and trade Yannick because we have Allen, the question should be why not both?

Hey I was all about keeping ARob... I was never anti resigning ARob.
IIRC I was even OK with them tagging him as a one year make sure he's okay post ACL injury...

They went a different route...

(02-12-2020, 10:45 AM)Kane Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:35 AM)Upper Wrote: Just like the people who are saying to not pay or to tag and trade Yannick because we have Allen, the question should be why not both?

Hey I was all about keeping ARob... I was never anti resigning ARob.
IIRC I was even OK with them tagging him as a one year make sure he's okay post ACL injury...

Yea.... With Moncrief! God what a terrible signing.

(02-12-2020, 08:41 AM)Upper Wrote:

Hurns actually sacrificed more and Westbrook is on the same tier of sacrifice. 
They just didn't always do it by "going airborne" because they often have/had adequate separation that doesn't require going up to get a jump-ball. 

The jump-ball was clearly a deliberate strategy while A-Rob was here due to his skillset. It doesn't mean he put the team ahead of his health.  I mean, he blatantly dropped negotiations and stated he wanted to play somewhere else.  How the hell is that "team first?" If anything he resented that jump-ball strategy. 

You could state that A-Rob was the best jump-ball receiver we've had in a decade and that would be accurate. 
But we've had others that were clearly more team-first players.

(02-12-2020, 11:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:45 AM)Kane Wrote: Hey I was all about keeping ARob... I was never anti resigning ARob.

Yea.... With Moncrief! God what a terrible signing.

Moncrief + Lee (he was extended for no good reason) =/= ARob, for sure.

(02-12-2020, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 08:41 AM)Upper Wrote: We have never had a WR who was willing to put his body and health on the line to go airborne going after inaccurate pass after inaccurate pass like Arob was. He put the team ahead of his own well being an absurd amount.

Hurns actually sacrificed more and Westbrook is on the same tier of sacrifice. 
They just didn't always do it by "going airborne" because they often have/had adequate separation that doesn't require going up to get a jump-ball. 

The jump-ball was clearly a  deliberate strategy while A-Rob was here due to his skillset. It doesn't mean he put the team ahead of his health.  I mean, he blatantly dropped negotiations and stated he wanted to play somewhere else.  How the hell is that "team first?" If anything he resented that jump-ball strategy. 

You could state that A-Rob was the best jump-ball receiver we've had in a decade and that would be accurate. 
Except ARob is actually an elite route runner but he's been plagued by atrocious QBs.

(02-12-2020, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Hurns actually sacrificed more and Westbrook is on the same tier of sacrifice. 

The jump-ball was clearly a deliberate strategy while A-Rob was here due to his skillset. It doesn't mean he put the team ahead of his health.  I mean, he blatantly dropped negotiations and stated he wanted to play somewhere else.  How the hell is that "team first?" If anything he resented that jump-ball strategy. 

Except ARob is actually an elite route runner but he's been plagued by atrocious QBs.
Any opinion on his route running ability, elite or otherwise, has zero effect on the way he was used by multiple coordinators while in Jax, and that was my point. 
You can blame the QBs he's worked with and that's fine, but it doesn't make him some team-first guy because he's adept at high-pointing the ball.

I don't think it matters either way as you can't measure who's a "team first" guy other than specific incidents like Hurns dragging himself off the field on that one play. We don't know how hard they work or how much they care about everything else

(02-12-2020, 12:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think it matters either way as you can't measure who's a "team first" guy other than specific incidents like Hurns dragging himself off the field on that one play. We don't know how hard they work or how much they care about everything else

You can certainly measure it with players who go out of their way to play elsewhere when offered opportunity to stay.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 01:33 PM by JackCity.)

(02-12-2020, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:42 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think it matters either way as you can't measure who's a "team first" guy other than specific incidents like Hurns dragging himself off the field on that one play. We don't know how hard they work or how much they care about everything else

You can certainly measure it with players who go out of their way to play elsewhere when offered opportunity to stay.

You can be team first when playing and still seek the best deal you can get. It's not uncommon.

It's just a really weird way to judge players

(02-12-2020, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

And can you name players who don't try to get their money when they can?

98% of the league are "me first" players and rightfully so. These teams don't care about their players.

(02-12-2020, 01:31 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You can certainly measure it with players who go out of their way to play elsewhere when offered opportunity to stay.

You can be team first when playing and still seek the best deal you can get. It's not uncommon.  

It’s not weird. 
It’s very commonplace. 
I’m not saying I even blame Robinson (or Ramsey) for wanting to play elsewhere. 
But they both made it clear they wanted out. Hard for me to see a player like that as having made some great sacrifice for his team just because he high pointed the football really well.

(02-12-2020, 01:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You can certainly measure it with players who go out of their way to play elsewhere when offered opportunity to stay.
And can you name players who don't try to get their money when they can?

98% of the league are "me first" players and rightfully so. These teams don't care about their players.

It wasn’t about money. He didn’t want to play in Jax and he stated it clearly in an interview.

(02-12-2020, 02:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: You can be team first when playing and still seek the best deal you can get. It's not uncommon.  

It’s not weird. 
It’s very commonplace. 
But they both made it clear they wanted out. Hard for me to see a player like that as having made some great sacrifice for his team just because he high pointed the football really well.

(02-12-2020, 01:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And can you name players who don't try to get their money when they can?

It wasn’t about money. He didn’t want to play in Jax and he stated it clearly in an interview.

I don't think high pointing it means anything either, or playing slot receiver and taking shots across the middle. 

And the contract was definitely part of it, even if he may have been leaning towards leaving too. They didn't trust his knee enough

(02-12-2020, 02:56 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 02:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It’s not weird. 
It’s very commonplace. 

I don't think high pointing it means anything either, or playing slot receiver and taking shots across the middle. 

And the contract was definitely part of it, even if he may have been leaning towards leaving too. They didn't trust his knee enough
He flatly stated he broke off talks BECAUSE he decided he wanted to move on. 
It was not about money.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020, 04:01 PM by JackCity.)

(02-12-2020, 03:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 02:56 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think high pointing it means anything either, or playing slot receiver and taking shots across the middle. 

He flatly stated he broke off talks BECAUSE he decided he wanted to move on. 
It was not about money.

He also said the Jaguars final offer wasn't as good as the bears. It's rarely just one thing or another, he wanted to move on and the money wasn't good enough relative to the bears. 

You think he wouldn't have stayed if they offered him significantly more than the bears did?

According the Arob they were close in training camp and then never spoke to him about it all the way through to February