Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 edition! Caldwell just got fired and you become GM. Where do you start?

My bat at GM.  

1. Coaching: Sending Marrone along with a Bologna Sandwich packing.  Most assistant coaches especially Wash along with him.  There are a few young good coaches on the team but that will be an evaluation of each coach 1 on 1.  Will scour along with my scouting staff the college ranks for hungry young coaches.  Tired of the same old coaching carousel.

2. The Cap: The cap needs some finagling. Yan is top priority and is either signing a $100 million dollar long term contract or getting the franchise tag.  I hope to restructure Darius and a few other contracts but it takes 2 to tango.  Some veterans no doubt will be cut from the team because they do not live up to their pay.     Would give a 3rd round pick to a team willing to take Foles contract due to the 2021 savings.  The best case scenario is that some team still thinks Foles is a winner and gives us something for him. Hoping to be atleast $30million over the cap before free agency.

3. Free Agency: I am not looking to make any kind of day 1 splash here.  The plan here is to be semi-conservative and look for a couple of decent tight ends or offensive lineman. The key here is make maybe one splash signing and the rest maybe week 2 guys.

4. Draft:  Going to draft for need this year in the early rounds.  I am more than willing to trade down and acquire more picks.  That said if I am staying put, I'm taking the best offensive linemen or tight end at the 9th spot.  The jags offensive line struggles against the better teams in the league.  A good tight end or offensive tackle will help them out big.  For the 20th pick it's either going to be a receiver or linebacker.  It depends on the better value.  The rest of the draft is mostly going to be Offensive line or Defense.  The Jags need linebackers and secondary help especially if Bouye gets paid elsewhere.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

First thing I’m doing is cleaning up our cap situation. I’m cutting Dareus, Bouye, Lee, and offering to restructure Calais and Norwell. I’m trying at every turn to trade Foles, (yes, I know you take a big cap hit for trading him) even if it means surrendering a 2nd round pick in a Brock Osweiler- esque type trade.

Second thing I’m doing is bolstering our offensive line, getting a quality right guard, bringing in competition for the LT position, and bringing in a potential replacement for Norwell. O line has to be number one priority

Third thing I’m doing is trying to acquire defense talent by any means necessary, whether it be Free agency, the draft, or waivers. With the departure of Bouye, Dareus, Ngakoue and maybe Calais, the D is looking baad. Do the best we can and hopefully get even better guys next season.

All in all, we won’t be competitive next year (at all) with no defense. But, a losing season will guarantee Doug and wash are gone, we can bring in a young offensive whiz, and bolster our defense in another offseason. That’s what I would do.

(01-24-2020, 09:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: First thing I’m doing is cleaning up our cap situation. I’m cutting Dareus, Bouye, Lee, and offering  to restructure Calais and Norwell. I’m trying at every turn to trade Foles, (yes, I know you take a big cap hit for trading him) even if it means surrendering a 2nd round pick in a Brock Osweiler- esque type trade.

Second thing I’m doing is bolstering our offensive line, getting a quality right guard, bringing in competition for the LT position, and bringing in a potential replacement for Norwell. O line has to be number one priority

Third thing I’m doing is trying to acquire defense talent by any means necessary, whether it be Free agency, the draft, or waivers. With the departure of Bouye, Dareus, Ngakoue and maybe Calais, the D is looking baad. Do the best we can and hopefully get even better guys next season.

All in all, we won’t be competitive next year (at all) with no defense. But, a losing season will guarantee Doug and wash are gone, we can bring in a young offensive whiz, and bolster our defense in another offseason. That’s what I would do.

Stupid to give up a DJ Chark for 3 million in cap savings. You're fired.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-24-2020, 09:16 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: First thing I’m doing is cleaning up our cap situation. I’m cutting Dareus, Bouye, Lee, and offering  to restructure Calais and Norwell. I’m trying at every turn to trade Foles, (yes, I know you take a big cap hit for trading him) even if it means surrendering a 2nd round pick in a Brock Osweiler- esque type trade.

You dont give away a 2nd round pick when we need to build through the draft and next year we can cut him for almost a 3rd of what it would be this year.

Offer the patriots 91 million dollars cash for bill and brady
Sign the top 10 free agents
Trade for the first 10 picks
Draft hall of famers

Exactly right.  A 2nd round pick for over $15M in cap savings is well worth it to get out of the Foles contract.

(01-24-2020, 10:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:

Exactly right.  A 2nd round pick for over $15M in cap savings is well worth it to get out of the Foles contract.

[Image: tenor.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2020, 10:39 PM by Eric1.)

(01-24-2020, 10:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:

Anything higher than a 4th (and even then I probably wouldn't do it) would be terrible. We need all the day 1-2 draft picks we can get to fill some holes on this team. 

We can't go giving them away just to clear up a little cap space. We'd be better off just biting the bullet and eating the money for next season and then using the out clause in his contract after the season.

We can clear up a good amount of cap space and still eat Foles awful contract for another year.

Dareus - $20m
Lee - $5m
Jake Ryan - $5.5m
Geoff Swaim - $3.5m

That's nearly $35m freed up right there alone, which just starts the fun.

We should also be credited back about $10m to the cap due to the Telvin Smith situation.

1. Clear up the cap space indicated by Eric.
2. Try to get Calais and Norwell to re-structure. If they don't, I'd keep both for 1 more year.
3. Determine if Yannick would play here given a more than reasonable contract. If he is, I'd pay him more than his recent performance merits, but no way I'd make him the top DE salary wise. If he demands that,I'd franchise him next season.
4. I'd target 2 or 3 players in free agency and make every effort to sign them. Cory Littleton meets a need and wouldn't break the bank. There are a plethora of defensive tackles and I'd sign one of those.
5. After the free agent signings, we no longer have a desperate need for linebacker as Littleton plays the middle and Jack moves to the outside. In the first 3 rounds, they need to find another defensive tackle,  2 offensive linemen and a cornerback. Tight end would also be nice, but the class is just not very strong and I'm not reaching for one. I plan on targeting Freirmuth in the 2021 draft, as he is the closest thing to Gronkowski that I've seen. I still have faith that Oliver can do the job once he gets healthy along with O'Shaunesey and a 3rd guy whose strength is blocking.

Given the needs listed above, my strategy is to draft BAP at one of these in rounds 1 and 2: Offensive line, Defensive tackle, Cornerback. My board will dictate who gets taken after my staff thoroughly evaluates the following players:

O. Line- Thomas, Becton, Wills, Wirfs, Jones

D. Tackle- Brown, Kinlaw and Gallimore

Cornerback- Okudah, Henderson, Diggs, Hall, Fulton and Dantzler.

From this group, I eliminate anyone who seems to have potential character flaws. We can't afford any more Ramsay's, Blackmon's, Matt Jones or Sowards. I also base my picks on game performance and not how they performed in the post-season beauty contests. When all is said and done, my ideal scenerio would look like this:

Rd. 1 (9)  Derrick Brown (best overall D. Tackle)

Rd. 1 (20) Becton (very high ceiling if he controls his weight)

Rd. 2      Hall (best cornerback to drop)

Rd. 3  Best remaining interior offensive lineman

Good wide receivers who make the roster can be found in round 4 or later. No doubt this position can be improved,  but no way I'm taking Jeudy or Lamb in round 1 over the linemen.

Obviously, Minshew would need to take the next step for the team to turn it around next season. I do keep Foles one more year due to salary cap issues. This roster is unlikely good enough to make the playoffs next season, but they would be much improved and in position to make it back to the post-season in 2021-22 as long as I'm still in charge!

That's not bad.  I would prioritize a TE in the first three rounds at the expense of one of the linemen.  We need for the TE position to be a strength in order to help our qb.
[Image: giphy.gif]

It's a terrible TE  class and they are rarely productive as rookies as it is. Better to fill the TE spot and LB spot with vets

I hire Mike Borgonzi, KC Chiefs director of football operations, and then fire myself because he would be a better GM than me.

(01-25-2020, 01:29 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: I hire Mike Borgonzi, KC Chiefs director of football operations, and then fire myself because he would be a better GM than me.

Doesn't hurt that your contract was for 5 years guaranteed, right? Just sit back and collect those paychecks!

Draft Focus: 
  Day 1&2 - Nose Tackle, LT, CB    Day3: WR, Scat RB , FS

Free Agency:
 Mike LB,  mid tier DT,  decent TE ,  maybe a free safety if a steal can be bargained for

Release for cap room: 
 Dareus, Bouye, Lee , Ryan (unless he's really healthy finally) , maybe Abry Jones depending on FA moves 

Coaching: 
 This has already been decided and there's not much point speculating. But I'd make sure Wash gets some help coaching up his back seven this go 'round.  His scheme needs tweaking on the back end and he'll need help taking advantage of new talent properly - (and getting Myles Jack out of the middle.)

There are a hundred different ways to come at this, but these are just a few keys that make sense to me based on the OP's format.

(01-25-2020, 12:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:00 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: That's not bad.  I would prioritize a TE in the first three rounds at the expense of one of the linemen.  We need for the TE position to be a strength in order to help our qb.

It's a terrible TE  class and they are rarely productive as rookies as it is. Better to fill the TE spot and LB spot with vets

Agree.  Let's see what Oliver can offer before we invest another high pick in a TE, which is one of the lower-paid positions anyway.

Since we have had plenty of serious answers, I will give mine. 

1. Shut down all social media and reincorporate the Jaguars forum as the only community engagement. 
2. All players would be required to register on the forum and respond to all of our [BLEEP]. Smile
3. The pool at the stadium would be expanded to become a lazy river that circles the entire stadium. 
4. Bring back the home game from London and lower season ticket prices. Sell out the stadium at all costs. 
5. Jackson De Ville would be fired. He would be replaced by a Minshew Mustache mascot. 
6. Score board would reflect the accurate names of opposing teams as defined by members of this board. Go clots!
7. Marrone would be retained as head cheerleader. He would adorn the outfit in full and lead our gals appropriately or inappropriately..I don’t care.

That’s all I have for now.

(01-25-2020, 07:59 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Since we have had plenty of serious answers, I will give mine. 

1. Shut down all social media and reincorporate the Jaguars forum as the only community engagement. 
2. All players would be required to register on the forum and respond to all of our [BLEEP]. Smile
3. The pool at the stadium would be expanded to become a lazy river that circles the entire stadium. 
4. Bring back the home game from London and lower season ticket prices. Sell out the stadium at all costs. 
5. Jackson De Ville would be fired. He would be replaced by a Minshew Mustache mascot. 
6. Score board would reflect the accurate names of opposing teams as defined by members of this board. Go clots!
7. Marrone would be retained as head cheerleader. He would adorn the outfit in full and lead our gals appropriately or inappropriately..I don’t care.

That lazy river idea is actually really awesome and unique

(01-25-2020, 09:09 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 07:59 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Since we have had plenty of serious answers, I will give mine. 

That lazy river idea is actually really awesome and unique

Until a tampon floats by it would be absolutely amazing...

First Fire Marron and Wash
Make Dom Capers DC
Convice Foles to retire and become the QB coach
Deal with cap space
Find a experienced HC

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020, 02:35 PM by JagJohn.)

My approach would be based around the central idea that, due to the combination of cap problems, aging vets on big contracts, and young players who haven't fulfilled their potential yet, success next season is highly unlikely.

However, I would be cautiously optimistic that the young talent already on the roster, plus the excellent draft capital we have, gives us a chance to build a good team that could start being competitive in 2021 and could grow into something special. As such, my goal would be to build towards 2021, meaning i'm not going to be too worried about trying to fill all the holes on this roster for the upcoming year.

Coaching: Hire a forward-thinking HC and staff. Old, young, experienced or not, doesn't matter, they just need to be intelligent, analytical and able to adapt to how the league is evolving.

Cap: As much as it pains me to do it, Campbell, Bouye, Dareus would all be gone, along with the obvious cuts. Thinking 2 or more years down the line, these guys are realistically not going to be big contributors, so we are better off freeing up cap room.
If we can somehow trade Foles so that he only becomes a cap hit on this year, great, but I'm not giving up any more than a 5th rounder for it. I think he can be cut after the season for a much more reasonable cap hit, right? I feel like we might be forced into that approach.

FA: Offer Yan a big contract, somewhere in that 21-22 mil a year range. At only 24, he is a player that can be a cornerstone for another 5 years or so, plus it sends an important message and stops the tide of young players leaving Jax.
Generally not going to be a big player in FA. If there are young, ascending players at positions of need then I would make a reasonable offer (Henry and Hooper, for example), but not going crazy. Generally I would look to the 2nd and 3rd waves of FA to fill holes across the roster on reasonable contracts that don't threaten the future health of the cap in any way. Again, youth is preferable but finding some vet stopgaps on bargain deals would be fine too.

Draft: Going to be going more towards the BAP end of the spectrum, with a general preference towards building the offense first if players are similarly rated. At 9 and 20 I would be polling my entire scouting department to get a consensus on which players they expect to turn into elite players in the league, regardless of the situation they end up in. That's what we need. Generally, the entire approach will be more BAP than need; for example if a stud RB drops to round 3 I would have no problem going for it.

The final roster would be planned around developing the young stars we already have and the rookies. We also have a whole bunch of young players that are somewhere between 'could be really good' and 'haven't shown enough, but can't write off yet'. This list includes Robinson, Richardson and Oliver on offense, and Smoot, Bryan, Jack, Jacobs, Herndon and Wilson on defense. They would ideally get significant playing time this year so we can hopefully know if they will be a long-term contributor or not moving forward.

The number one objective of the 2020 season would be to build a platform around Minshew that gives him a chance to succeed. Ultimately I would expect the team to struggle in 2020 and end up with another high-ish draft pick in 2021. At which point, the cap situation would be massively better, hopefully we will have established an identity on offense, and we would be able to accurately guage the strengths and weaknesses of the roster to target FA upgrades. Couple that with a strong 2021 draft class, and this team would look set to become a contender long-term.