Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Should Jags use non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Yannick? Pros and Cons

I was using this site as reference material

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agent...s-in-2020/

Assuming Yannick doesn't agree to a deal by the franchise deadline of March 10th (period starts Feb 25th), I think most people assume we will franchise him.  But there's two types.  Exclusive and non-exclusive.  I'm wondering whether they might be better off using the non-exclusive tag.

A lot depends on how hard core Yannick's desire to leave Jax is.  If we use the tag, he has till July 15th to sign a multi-year deal.  If he doesn't all we can do is a one year deal. 

Even in this situation you can trade a guy like the Clowney trade on Aug 31st.  Clowney netted two players, Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo, and a 2020 third-round pick.

But the reason they traded Clowney was that he refused to sign the contract and play.  He probably would have in Week 8 or whatever week is the deadline to count as having fulfilled your contract.  As you see with Trent Williams, even that can be messy.

So would they be better off doing the non-exclusive tag?  That would give Yannick and his guys almost 5 months to find a team willing to take on his contract and give up 2 first round draft choices.  If it ever happened, I assume the team would wait until after the draft so the draft picks would be 2021 and 2022 picks.  We'd have the option to take the contract they agreed to, but sometimes they are able to put in provisions we can't match like a lot of upfront money in year 1 when we have a cap problem.  But even if we don't agree to match, we get 2 numbers ones.

Obviously, we're better off signing him, but if we are going to tag him, I think the non-exclusive gives us better options.

What do you think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No one would bite on two firsts for him. The non-exclusive will cover it.

Two firsts plus a huge contract is not going to happen in a million years.

Yeah. The non-exclusive protects the Jags interests much better in this case.
[Image: giphy.gif]

As much as most of us love Yannick, if we got two 1sts and had 20M to spend elsewhere I think we'd all be pretty darn happy with that scenario too.

Two firsts >>>>>> Yan

We did get 2 firsts for Ramsey....I don't see why we couldn't for yan.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(01-25-2020, 11:34 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: We did get 2 firsts for Ramsey....I don't see why we couldn't for yan.

Well Ramsey is arguably the best at his position (definitely top 3 or so). Yan is probably top-25 or so at his.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-25-2020, 08:50 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Yeah. The non-exclusive protects the Jags interests much better in this case.

That's a good way to phrase it. GIven the two choices, I think the non-exclusive protects the Jags interests better. Especially on the trade front. If Yannick makes it obvious he doesn't want to be here, and will do the minimum to satisfy his contract, and it's after JUly 15th, Jags have little bargaining position and will get little for him.

The non-exclusive essentially let's Yannick's team do the trade negoiation, and contract negotiation. And then we can either match or get 2 first round picks. Now, if he went to a Super Bowl Champ it might be pick 32 each year, and it might not be for 2021 and 2022.

And if he can't find a willing partner, we're no worse off.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2020, 12:17 AM by Newton.)

Just offer him a fair contract, and then franchise him exclusively if he doesn’t sign. If he doesn’t sign for 22 million a year and then sits out a year franchised, then he is truly not looking out for his own best interests. At that point, could we franchise him again, or do the new CBA negotiations throw that into doubt?

(01-26-2020, 12:16 AM)Newton Wrote: Just offer him a fair contract, and then franchise him exclusively if he doesn’t sign. If he doesn’t sign for 22 million a year and then sits out a year franchised, then he is truly not looking out for his own best interests. At that point, could we franchise him again, or do the new CBA negotiations throw that into doubt?
Except what would happen might likely be a Trent Williams scenario.  Sits out entire year until after trading Deadline, then needs time to get ready, then gets hurt.  You've paid him a ton of money and got nothing.  And the next year is more expensive and the same thing can happen.

I suspect the Jags are going to offer him a fair deal and he's going to turn it down.

(01-27-2020, 12:00 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 12:16 AM)Newton Wrote: Just offer him a fair contract, and then franchise him exclusively if he doesn’t sign. If he doesn’t sign for 22 million a year and then sits out a year franchised, then he is truly not looking out for his own best interests. At that point, could we franchise him again, or do the new CBA negotiations throw that into doubt?
Except what would happen might likely be a Trent Williams scenario.  Sits out entire year until after trading Deadline, then needs time to get ready, then gets hurt.  You've paid him a ton of money and got nothing.  And the next year is more expensive and the same thing can happen.

I suspect the Jags are going to offer him a fair deal and he's going to turn it down.

This has been my contention since reading some of his comments. I think he expects to be paid like the best player at his position and that's not reasonable. I'd guess the Jags are going to offer top 10 DE money and he'll turn it down, then get franchised and ultimately get traded. It sucks but he's probably getting bad advice from his agent.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.