Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Calais Campbell believes his play justifies '20 salary

Calais Campbell believes his play justifies '20 salary

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-20-salary

Calais Campbell is set to make $17.5 million in 2020, a major cap hit that will have to decided on by the Jacksonville Jaguars' front office. Campbell says his play has more than justified his pay.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He also thinks the Jags will be picking first overall in 2040.

Its a business. CC knows that. He took more $$$ to sign with JAX, when he really wanted to go home to Denver.

His play is good, but when it comes to cap issues sometimes it's about more than just play in the previous year, sometimes it's about not being able to hold onto good players even though you want to.

Didn't he go from 14.5 sacks, to 10.5, to 6.5?
This indicates he will get 2,5 sacks in 2020.
PAYYY SMOOOOTTTT

Calais plays above the numbers and is a critical leader. I get that he doesn't want to renegotiate. Hope we can find a way to keep him.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Lol yeah right. I’m cutting him ASAP.

(01-26-2020, 12:41 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Lol yeah right. I’m cutting him ASAP.

And you wanted to sign AB.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Maybe it’s his polite way to say he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

wasn't he moved from outside to inside? That and bringing Josh Allen in would explain the drop in sacks.
One thing about it....one of our pass rushers will get you, just a question of which one.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-26-2020, 09:07 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: wasn't he moved from outside to inside? That and bringing Josh Allen in would explain the drop in sacks.
One thing about it....one of our pass rushers will get you, just a question of which one.

Campbell played inside more this year than normal after Dareus was IR'd. That affected his sack numbers. He faces more doubles inside and just generally gets better pressure from the strong side end spot. 

He played well against the run from big end and from DT and he did get solid pressure. He had 32 pressures and 15 QB hits in addition to the 6.5 sacks. 

He's worth the money for a number of reasons and I think he's a Jag in 2020 at his current salary if for no other reason than the amount of youth around the defense. There is potential for rookie's being added to the starting lineup at nose tackle, CB, FS and even LB.  So veteran presence is needed.

Campbell showed up and played his heart out every game. However the board bot couldn’t be bothered to make game day threads halfway through the season. Good day to you Jaxson! Good day!

Considering he was probably one of the people ownership talked to when "deciding" to retain coaches, I wouldn't renegotiate either.

He will be alright for the money.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

One of the rare cases in over-priced free agency where a player earns every penny.

His sack numbers may have dropped, but I didn't see any big drop off in his performance or effort.
And his leadership presence can't be understated. I think he's still worth that salary.

(01-26-2020, 08:26 AM)Jags Wrote: Maybe it’s his polite way to say he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

He said at the Pro Bowl that he hopes to work something out because he believes the Jags can go all the way and he wants to help them do it.

(01-26-2020, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 09:07 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: wasn't he moved from outside to inside? That and bringing Josh Allen in would explain the drop in sacks.

Campbell played inside more this year than normal after Dareus was IR'd. That affected his sack numbers. He faces more doubles inside and just generally gets better pressure from the strong side end spot. 

He played well against the run from big end and from DT and he did get solid pressure. He had 32 pressures and 15 QB hits in addition to the 6.5 sacks. 

He's worth the money for a number of reasons and I think he's a Jag in 2020 at his current salary if for no other reason than the amount of youth around the defense. There is potential for rookie's being added to the starting lineup at nose tackle, CB, FS and even LB.  So veteran presence is needed.

The problem with keeping him at his current salary is that if the Jags also bring back Yannick with the Tag or a new contract, the Defensive Line would then be taking up 1/4 of the entire cap.

That means the Jags have to skimp on a few other position groups. Plus, the DL would need to return to 2017 level effectiveness to justify that amount of spending.

(01-27-2020, 07:06 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Campbell played inside more this year than normal after Dareus was IR'd. That affected his sack numbers. He faces more doubles inside and just generally gets better pressure from the strong side end spot. 

The problem with keeping him at his current salary is that if the Jags also bring back Yannick with the Tag or a new contract, the Defensive Line would then be taking up 1/4 of the entire cap.

That means the Jags have to skimp on a few other position groups. Plus, the DL would need to return to 2017 level effectiveness to justify that amount of spending.

Eh... 

Take away the Dareus money in 2020 and then Campbell is gone in 2021 and we're just talking about one transitional year of overpaying DL and QB positions followed by a 2021 that sees new cap room, more balanced spending positionally, and an influx of young talent from the 20/21 drafts. 

I'm OK swallowing that pill, personally, even if it's not necessarily ideal in the short term. 

I also get why some think Campbell isn't worth the price, I just happen to be willing to overspend short term for the continuity.

(01-26-2020, 08:26 AM)Jags Wrote: Maybe it’s his polite way to say he doesn’t want to be here anymore.

Nah. He's posturing, like any smart businessman would. If he comes out now and says that he's all about staying with the team whatever it takes, he's going to get lowballed. If he says that he's worth what he's getting paid, Caldwell will have to come up with a stronger offer.

If ever there was a man who is worth every penny, it's Mr. Campbell.

Dave, earn your salary, work it out.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

If Campbell goes then we really need a clean start of management seriously. He is now the leader the Poz was and 1 out of the 4 or left from the great 2017 run. We really cleaned did a clean sweep of the team after having one of our most successful seasons since 99. Smh. How the hell do we stull have the same Front Office.