Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Calais Campbell believes his play justifies '20 salary

(02-01-2020, 06:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote: There's going to be several roster moves made between now and June 1st. I think we're already negative $3.2M today as it stands. We do have another $5.7M tied up in the form of dead money with Telvin Smith's contract. Below is an outline of some potential savings this off season. 

With Jags02's recent passing. I figured I would try and do my best to figure out this cap stuff for us. A lot of the guess work can be taken out of the equation though by simply following the tables on overthecap.com. 

RIP Jags02!!

1) Marcell Dareus - Dareus falls into the bottom quadrant, representing "Poor Value" according to the Valuation Diamond Explanation Page. Further, if the Jags cut Dareus by June 1, they'll free up $20M of cap space.

2) Marquise Lee - Lee has an $8.75M cap number for 2020, his valuation diamond shows he performed at $719K level (injury adjusted). The Jags can save $5.25M by cutting Lee.

3) Calais Campbell - Campbell earns a big $15M salary for 2020, and the Jags can improve their cap situation by the full $15M by cutting Campbell, but his VD is described as "high-expenditure/proper value". GM Dave Caldwell will discuss restructuring Campbell's deal.

4) A.J Bouye - Set to earn $11.4M this year. Potential savings here. But would come at the expense of essentially having zero veteran leadership in our secondary. Plus back filling two spots that seemed to be this team's greatest strength just two seasons ago. 

5) Andrew Norwell - Set to earn $5.5M this year. More potential savings. On the fence with him. When he's good he's good. When he's bad he's BAD. 

SIDE NOTE:

1) Gardner Minshew - What does "Good Value" look like? Uncle Rico's performance-based valuation is $17.1M, but he's only earning $678K annually.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

I don't think this team can afford to lose another round of veterans like they did last year. Especially on defense when it was clearly the weakest aspect of the team last year compounded with a plethora of injuries. Cutting Dareus makes the most sense. Doubtful they'll be able to restructure Campbell if he feels this way already reportedly about his current salary. 

Bouye being a potential cut is scary with just Herndon and Hayden to rely on going into free agency and the draft. Which will be frustrating for me personally because those early draft picks should be utilized to bolster other key areas of weakness but now you're potentially looking at replacing proven players with shiny new players at the very same position. 

Lee's release is inevitable. Just can't stay healthy. Nothing personal. But sometimes the best ability is availability. Ultimately. No matter how you slice it this off season. Losing ANY veteran on this team will hurt us in the long run. Especially when you look at the schedule coming up this year. 

Abry Jones, Swaim, and Ryan gives you almost 15 million in space once they get cut. Linder is 8, a restructure or extension there could lower that. Same with Campbell and Bouye; mostly base salary and current year bonus that could be negotiated. Cutting Conley saves 2.3 this year, but he is borderline to me. Obviously Foles goes next year.

All in all the cap situation seems like its playing out right, older players are a decision, but we don't appear to be anywhere near cap hell like the last time Coughlin left. We can make the needed room for next year and we have a bunch of picks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL.com - Calais Campbell believes his play justifies '20 salary - by flsprtsgod - 02-02-2020, 08:57 AM