Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Barnwell: Are the Jags Next Season's 49ers?

[/url]
[url=https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28563798/five-teams-the-49ers-2020-all-similarities]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28563798/five-teams-the-49ers-2020-all-similarities

He picked 5 teams that might show the massive improvement that the 49ers had last season, one of them being the Jags.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No because the roster and coaching is very far away from being competitive

[Image: tenor.gif]

(01-27-2020, 02:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: No because the roster and coaching is very far away from being competitive

Really they aren't. They were competitive enough to win 6 games this year and lost to teams like Houston, Carolina, and the Saints by a score. The big losses happened once the run defense got annihilated and that can be shored up this offseason. I don't think it's a terrible far distance to being very competitive next season, especially if Gruden and Minshew can progress on his very good rookie campaign.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yeah, no.

A rookie QB won 6 games...

If he improves that by 4 we're at 10-6.

Just saying. It's not that hard to go from last to first.

[Image: 112517986_medium_1494400331.jpg]

(01-27-2020, 03:30 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: A rookie QB won 6 games...

People forget how razor thin the margins are in the NFL. So it could happen. I think the addition of Gruden makes this a better coaching staff than last year and with a good draft...

But I wouldn't put the Jags on the "likely" list at this point.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-27-2020, 04:24 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 03:30 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: A rookie QB won 6 games...

People forget how razor thin the margins are in the NFL. So it could happen. I think the addition of Gruden makes this a better coaching staff than last year and with a good draft...

But I wouldn't put the Jags on the "likely" list at this point.

Yea, I know we all think of the Jags as untalented, but the difference between us and the Niners is a lot smaller than we'd like to admit.

The league is built on parity. I agree though, I wouldn't say likely... not with Warhop still coaching the line.

If we had a better HC, DC and GM sure... as the team is right now? lol no

(01-27-2020, 03:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 02:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: No because the roster and coaching is very far away from being competitive

Really they aren't. They were competitive enough to win 6 games this year and lost to teams like Houston, Carolina, and the Saints by a score. The big losses happened once the run defense got annihilated and that can be shored up this offseason. I don't think it's a terrible far distance to being very competitive next season, especially if Gruden and Minshew can progress on his very good rookie campaign.

They were the worst team in the league for a large portion of the season and most of the coaching who delivered those results are still here apart from the OC. 

The roster has a lot of holes in it too. Even if the offense improves...and it would be hard not to. We are still looking at a squad at tops out at 7-9 and maybe 8-8. 100 miles away from competing like the 49ers did

(01-27-2020, 01:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [/url]
[url=https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28563798/five-teams-the-49ers-2020-all-similarities]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28563798/five-teams-the-49ers-2020-all-similarities

He picked 5 teams that might show the massive improvement that the 49ers had last season, one of them being the Jags.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Lmao

I mean sure maybe. This isn't a team escaping the Gene Smith Error. This isn't a team that is half way through the Gus Bus debacle. We could have a great draft. We could resign the players we need to resign. We could show some promise and win in the offseason again. Our division could see some implosion with the other teams as well but.....

We need talent that play above the coaching limitations. We need to crush the offseason. And we will need massive help. Based on how things go, I expect the Colts to rebound massively and the Texans and Titans to thwart us at every turn. Lets say we play better in our AFC and NFC games, we could still get crushed by our teams inside the division. We have an unfortunate bad run against teams in our division. It has been years since we could pencil in wins on our schedule.

This team could end up being better but win less in 2020. I just don't trust the ownership with the stewardship of the franchise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(01-27-2020, 05:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 03:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Really they aren't. They were competitive enough to win 6 games this year and lost to teams like Houston, Carolina, and the Saints by a score. The big losses happened once the run defense got annihilated and that can be shored up this offseason. I don't think it's a terrible far distance to being very competitive next season, especially if Gruden and Minshew can progress on his very good rookie campaign.

They were the worst team in the league for a large portion of the season and most of the coaching who delivered those results are still here apart from the OC. 

The roster has a lot of holes in it too. Even if the offense improves...and it would be hard not to. We are still looking at a squad at tops out at 7-9 and maybe 8-8. 100 miles away from competing like the 49ers did

The worst team in the League still won 6 games and lost 3 others by a combined 15 points. It's not really that far.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Woo! Taking the day off and booking a hotel room in Tampa for next year!!! Can’t wait. Good thing next years SB is nearby. I’ll save on a flight. Yes!!!

[Image: 976809c111e493db7698d7a4c7d17f782297ecb9...562b40.jpg]

For it to actually happen we would need a whole lot of things to suddenly go right for us:
1. Minshew would need to make huge strides as a passer, helped by having a few more dimensions to the offense such as a dynamic threat at TE. It's not unheard of for a second year QB to improve greatly, but still seems unlikely.
2. The O-line would need to suddenly click. On paper, our O-line doesn't look too bad. On the field it's been a different story. Again, posible but unlikely.
3. If the offense were to suddenly become potent, the defense could find themselves in more positions that play to their strength of rushing the passer.
4. We would also need to find some more playmakers on both sides of the ball. We would most likely need big contributions from a few rookies, and hit on a few FAs to shore up a few weak spots. Also possible, also unlikely.
5. Finally, the coaching would need to show signs of being able to actually adapt game plans and out-scheme opponents. Probably the most unlikely thing of all.

We would likely need all 5 of those things to happen for this team to become a true contender.

I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The point is, the 49ers were 4-12 last year.

No one is predicting the Jags will go to the Super Bowl next year. But it is possible. Give us an offensive lineman, a TE, a DT, and a linebacker, and all of a sudden, we might go from 6-10 to 8-8 or 9-7. Teams do get better.